PDA

View Full Version : Report: Dolphins woo Jim Harbaugh--er...stick with Sporano?

TFM_Dale
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Tony Sparano is still the Miami Dolphins' coach, but the Miami Herald reported early Wednesday morning that the team has reached out to former Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher and current Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh.

Harbaugh, with plenty of suitors coming his way, returned to the Bay Area from Miami earlier Tuesday evening with a 40-12 Orange Bowl victory over Virginia Tech. The Cardinal finished 12-1.

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland, owner Stephen Ross and CEO Mike Dee were in attendance at the Orange Bowl, according to the Herald.

Meanwhile, a source close to Cowher told ESPN Senior NFL Analyst Chris Mortensen on Dec. 19 that the longtime Steelers coach has the Dolphins atop his coaching wish list. The source said Cowher was willing to return to the NFL after four years in broadcasting but only for a select number of teams.

The Houston Texans and New York Giants also were on the list, the source said, but both of those teams chose to retain their coaches for the 2011 season.

However, the Herald said the Dolphins prefer to retain Ireland and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, while Cowher would want to hire his own assistants and choose his own GM.

Sparano met with Ross and Ireland after the season, but the coach remains in limbo after the Dolphins finished a second straight 7-9 season following a division title in the coach's rookie season.

Dolphins running back Ricky Williams, whose contract with Miami is up, expressed distaste for Sparano's micromanaging style Monday on a Miami radio station.

"A team takes on the personality of the head coach," Williams said. "I think the way we're coached, Tony goes through a lot of effort to show us the things that it takes to win football games: not turning the ball over, converting third downs, scoring in the red zone. He spent a lot of time saying, 'If you do these things, you win.' Sometimes, I feel like he does it a little bit too much.

"My personal opinion is, if you have the right attitude that 'You guys are going to win,' then all that other stuff takes care of itself."

Information from ESPN Senior NFL Analyst Chris Mortensen, ESPN.com's Tim Graham and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5990527

TFM_Dale
01-05-2011, 12:05 PM
I know some of this has been talked about in the other thread, just figured I would start it's own because the Dolphin's job could get pretty interesting in the next few days.

chefcraig
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, that Dolphins owner Steve Ross is old friends with Harbaugh and stood on Stanford's sideline during the Orange Bowl game here the other evening. It would be awkward to say the least if Sparano is offered his job after this. Harbaugh is good with QBs, which is something we've needed since Jay Fiedler left. As for Cowher taking over, Offensive coordinator Dan Henning will probably retire, but even so, the Dolphins are a mess. And it looks as if Ricky Williams is done...

Ricky Williams criticizes Dolphins coach Tony Sparano

USA TODAY (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/ricky-williams-criticizes-dolphins-coach-tony-sparano/1)

Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams unloaded his frustrations with the team and coach Tony Sparano on Monday and said he doubts he'll be back with the team next year.

Williams, in a weekly radio appearance on WQAM, criticized what he said was Sparano's micromanaging style that had grown stale for the Dolphins.

Sunday's 38-7 rout in New England was the tipping point for Williams.

"It's like we weren't prepared, we didn't show up," he said, via the Palm Beach Post. "I had a little bit of a sense during the week of practice that we weren't maybe as focused or preparing as well as we needed to."

Williams said the contrast between the 14-2 Patriots and the 7-9 Dolphins (who won just one game at home) was "very stark."

"They had less to play for than we did … and they played harder than any team we played all year, and I just expect that from my team," Williams said.

"I'm not angry at my teammates. I'm angry at the situation. That's the coaches, myself, teammates, that's everyone. That's the whole environment that we have there, and I'm just frustrated that it's not better."

The Dolphins have gone 25-23 in three years under Sparano, but have had consecutive 7-9 campaigns.

Sparano met with Dolphins owner Stephen Ross on Monday, but the team has not said if he will return next season.

Among other topics Williams addressed:

* He said players' public shows of support for Sparano were hollow. "Usually when players are talking and saying the right things, it means that they're full of (expletive)," Williams said.

* He expects to play with someone other than the Dolphins next season. "It seems like now is time to move on," Williams said. "I was drafted in 1999, and this is the first time I've been a free agent. I'm excited to see what happens."

* He took a shot at Dolphins QB Chad Henne when asked about the differences between Miami and New England. "They have a quarterback," he said, referencing Pro Bowler Tom Brady.

* He criticized WR Brandon Marshall, whom the Dolphins acquired from Denver last year. "Being around Brandon a lot – I like the guy, I think the world of him – but as a teammate, sometimes he makes it difficult to like him and support him," Williams said. "It's not necessarily what he says, it's when he says it and the way he says it. But for the most part the things that he says are things that everyone else wants to say, but no one has the courage, or the balls. And some of it is intelligence – they're smart enough not to say those things, because they don't want to burn bridges. But when you have $50 million, then you can get away with whatever you want."

POJO_Risin
01-06-2011, 11:39 PM
The Dolphins met with Harbaugh today, and...

decided to stick with Sporano?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

oh...

okay...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Seriously...if this is true, I love AFC football. These fucking idiots shouldn't run football teams.

Now, if Marty Mornhingwig can become the new Browns coach...

...then my job is done here...

POJO_Risin
01-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Sparano...

Sporano...

Horano...

Whoreano...it's all the same...

and one less team for the Steelers to worry about in the coming years...

POJO_Risin
01-06-2011, 11:41 PM
...and so much for the Cowher to Miami rumors...for that blowhard Chris Mortenson...fucking moron...

TFM_Dale
01-07-2011, 01:27 AM
I don't know how the Fins can not make a change after this. Everyone knows Sparano is just a place holder now.

TFM_Dale
01-07-2011, 01:29 AM
If the Browns hire Morning-gay I will likely never stop laughing.

Unchainme
01-07-2011, 01:38 AM
If the Browns hire Morning-gay I will likely never stop laughing.

scary rumors going around that he is the favorite according to several sources..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk7PQMOr6x0

praying this man takes the gig, lords know it would be almost perfect.

chefcraig
01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Even more mystifying is the role of Carl Peterson in this mess. For one thing, owner Steve Ross was quoted last month as saying Peterson does not work for the team, but there he was on the plane to California to interview Harbaugh. So what use is GM Jeff Ireland? This thing has been a clusterfuck since the beginning, and was not only embarrassing, but according to league rules, was illegal. By ignoring the Rooney Rule, this just illustrates how poorly thought out this process has been. Those last two words seem appropriate to end with.

chefcraig
01-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Harbaugh signed a 5 year/25 million deal with the 49ers a while ago.

49ers set to announce Jim Harbaugh as next head coach

USA TODAY (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/49ers-set-to-announce-jim-harbaugh-as-next-head-coach/1)

Jim Harbaugh's next stop is San Francisco.

The Stanford head coach will turn pro and join the 49ers. Team president Jed York confirmed the deal in a text message to the San Jose Mercury News.

"It's done," York said.

The 49ers scheduled a news conference for Friday at 6:30 p.m. ET.

ESPN, NFL.com and the Mercury News reported that Harbaugh agreed to a five-year deal worth $25 million.

Harbaugh's decision ends a week-long dalliance in which the Miami Dolphins, Denver Broncos and the University of Michigan all were connected to him in searches for new coaches.

Harbaugh is coming off a 12-1 season with Stanford that he capped on Monday night with a win against Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl.

In San Francisco, he will replace Mike Singletary, who was fired after Week 16. The 49ers went 6-10 this season, a year in which they were favored by many to win the NFC West.

He joins a club that just promoted Trent Baalke to general manager this week. The 49ers have not been to the playoffs since 2002, which was also the last year in which they had a winning record.

Harbaugh is the brother of Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh. The Ravens are scheduled to host the 49ers in Baltimore next season.

Known as 'Captain Comeback' during a 15-year NFL career with five teams, Harbaugh led Stanford to its first-ever 12-win season and BCS win capped by Monday's 40-12 victory against Virginia Tech. The University of Michigan product had been mentioned as a candidate to replace Rich Rodriguez, fired this week despite taking the Wolverines to the Gator Bowl.

Harbaugh leaves Stanford just a day after his QB, Andrew Luck, announced he would remain in school another year. Luck is projected by many analysts to be a potential top overall pick in April's NFL draft.

sadaist
01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Interesting. I don't know whether Harbaugh will be a good NFL coach or not. And I fucking hate the 49'ers. (The team that killed the Chargers in their only Super Bowl appearance). But the fun thing about hating the 49'ers was that they were so good. I'm talking Montana/Young eras. It the same for me as hating Dallas. It's not really fun to hate them when they suck anyways. Which is why it's so fun right now to hate the Patriots.

I hope the 49'ers become a great team again. I wanna hate!

POJO_Risin
01-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I don't know how the Fins can not make a change after this. Everyone knows Sparano is just a place holder now.

two-year extension...BWAHAHAHAHAHA...