PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, who buys Nickelback and Daughtery?

Unchainme
01-06-2011, 04:27 PM
I've been listening to the new local station they have set up out here which is like a bob/dave FM clone, and have enjoyed about 95% of the stuff that is played. I'm a sucker for old pop songs and like the fact they toss in a few classic rock songs in as well, makes it quite listenable.

One draw back? you stumble on about around every..5 or so songs the bland "Safe" rock that has been released the past 10 years or so, Nickelback, Maroon 5, Matchbox 20, modern day Carlos Santana..etc.

I'm really trying to figure out who buys this stuff, seriously, is there some intense demand for really bland rock and roll out there?

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/garbage-day/nickelback-hinder-red.php

sonrisa salvaje
01-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately, my wife buys this stuff. She also thinks the 90's music was the greatest of all times.

Etienne
01-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Kids who grown up with these and pay for music...

Seshmeister
01-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately, my wife buys this stuff. She also thinks the 90's music was the greatest of all times.

I'm guessing that's what you get for having a younger wife.

I'd be more worried if it was Hannah Montana. :biggrin:

Blaze
01-06-2011, 06:13 PM
When I have heard before on this board, derogatory statements concerning Nickelback's music I always think, "Wait a second, Nickelback is a good band." Nonetheless, I can't think of any songs.
I think, "Hey, I like Nickelback", but I really can't remember them, but my not remembering is not significant.
I am sure I like them, though. :)

I can only recall one Kiss song and that is Beth, it played yesterday and the announcer said it was Kiss when it played.

Blaze
01-06-2011, 06:13 PM
I think Matchbox is pretty good too, but I don't recall. :biggrin:

sadaist
01-06-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm guessing that's what you get for having a younger wife.

Hmm. Subjected to Nickleback but getting younger pussy. More than a fair trade-off I would say.

Blaze
01-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Maroon 5, I do not recall being a good band (or really a bad band). I would not select them over Nickelback, though, but again, I do not recall. And Daughtery I have only some sort of vague recollection of a haircut for some reason. I would not have placed the name Daughtery with music. I would have placed him as an actor.

Kristy
01-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Fresh college grads with degrees in psychology/sociology who drive Honda or Kia SUV's raised by parents who primarily listened to James Taylor or Neil Young and think that listening to Maroon 5 is somehow rebellious.

Dan
01-06-2011, 06:28 PM
I Have No Problems Listerning To Any Of These bands.:D

78/84 guy
01-06-2011, 06:35 PM
I tried to like some of this stuff but it just dosen't work for me.

binnie
01-06-2011, 06:56 PM
People who don't really like music.

That's not meant to sound snobby. Maybe for fans of those bands music is something to have on in the background at home, or in the car; something to dance around to on a night out. For them it's purely about entertainment, a cheap pick-me-up if you will. There's no emotional investment or need for catharsis in music for them - I used to think it was because they didn't have the emotional capacity to 'get' it. but I now just think that they must just experience it elsewhere.

For those of us who love music, who are familiar with the history of rock music and contextualize where those bands sit in it, they don't do much for us. It's that simple. If all you've ever known is MacDonalds, you'll think it's good food.

binnie
01-06-2011, 06:57 PM
The one that really, really baffles me is Coldplay.

There is no emotional depth there. It's all contrived - the musical equivalent of magnolia.

sonrisa salvaje
01-06-2011, 07:19 PM
I just find these bands boring. I try to listen and act somewhat interested but i rarely find anything i can get into. When i find a riff or a groove i can get into, some half brained chorus comes along and kills it. As Sesh and Sadaist pointed out, it is not the end of the world (wink. wink.)

Blaze
01-06-2011, 07:20 PM
You do not like magnolias? : puzzled: that is one of the most ambrosial flowers.

http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/images/Magnolia2.jpg

Coyote
01-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Personally, I have no problem with Maroon5... (Well crafted songs, IMO)
That said, Maroon5 isn't a rock band. It's a pop band.

What's the difference? Rock bands have guitar solos.
Pop bands build up the song, as if a guitar solo were to appear, but then it cuts to the chorus.
Which is nearly as annoying (especially to a guitarist) as any drivel put out by Coldplay.

sadaist
01-06-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

VanHalenFan5150
01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Daughtery isn't half bad pseudo-rock/country. I like him for a few songs.

Dave's Bitch
01-07-2011, 05:40 AM
A few of my friends consider nickleback to be a great band who can really rock.I lent um' my copy of savatage "The Dungeons Are Calling",Now they dont think nickleback rock so hard :)

VanHalenFan5150
01-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Haha! Because they don't.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P7F3O6WYfHQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P7F3O6WYfHQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dave's Bitch
01-07-2011, 10:03 AM
"We got any nickleback fans in portugal?"

if you listen real hard you can hear um answer "nooooooooooo"

PETE'S BROTHER
01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

that mushroom tune, right?

chefcraig
01-07-2011, 10:25 AM
There is no emotional depth there. It's all contrived - the musical equivalent of magnolia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2pXfAK8r1k&feature=related

ThrillsNSpills
01-07-2011, 10:53 AM
How does somebody bean this singer in the head??

Were they training, working on their aim constantly? Can't be easy to have that kind of accuracy.

(Bin):It's that simple. If all you've ever known is MacDonalds, you'll think it's good food.
Great point but back in the 70's McD's was better, along with music in general.

ThrillsNSpills
01-07-2011, 10:59 AM
You can't accept Alpo after you've had Prime rib.

After hearing Van Halen, crue and poison didn't have a chance, not that poison did anyway.
You can tell whether you are into instruments or not who phones it in and who gives it to you with both barrels because it's in their blood.

BITEYOASS
01-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Of course it depends on which bands your talking about from the 90's. If it's Pantera, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden; then WTF are you complaining about? If it's N'Suck, the Backdoor boys and 98 disease--you must be in hell!

BITEYOASS
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Oh yeah, Nickleback sucks a big fat floppy donkey dick! :give-the-finger:

indeedido
01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
The same people buy it that buy Bon Jovi and Def Leppard.

ThrillsNSpills
01-07-2011, 01:19 PM
It's just conditioning. People hear this stuff over and over and over and after a while they get drunk or something and hear it and say Oh yeah, I know this tune....
Kids who didn't raid their brother's or parent's collection just don't know there's amazing stuff that's gone on so it becomes whatever they're used to that gets the vote.

sadaist
01-08-2011, 09:45 AM
What's the difference? Rock bands have guitar solos.

You're starting to sound like Kirk Hammet from the Monster video when they wouldn't let him play his solos.

SparkieD
01-08-2011, 11:39 AM
How does somebody bean this singer in the head??

Were they training, working on their aim constantly? Can't be easy to have that kind of accuracy.

That fucker irritates me almost as much as Brett Michaels does. I'm no sharpshooter, but I doubt I'd miss if he were the target.

ThrillsNSpills
01-08-2011, 12:38 PM
That fucker irritates me almost as much as Brett Michaels does. I'm no sharpshooter, but I doubt I'd miss if he were the target.

I'm sure you'd hit him but you should save it for Michaels. Not that anything stops him. I wonder if the last hospital thing was a fake.

binnie
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
May I throw another band into the discussion?

Maroon 5.

Please explain the point of this band.

ShadowOfTheWave
01-17-2011, 06:23 AM
My dad loves Nickelback and my mom loves Daughtry, bands like these are the modern day Foreigner and 38 Special, corporate bullshit made for easy consumption. Maroon 5 isn't bad at all though, they definately aren't what I would consider bland, but like someone else said they aren't really a rock band.

FORD
01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
38 Special started out as a legitimate band, but they did go corporate cheese after a while. I'd still say that Donnie Van Zant at least earned an honest living, as opposed to milking Ronnie's corpse like his other brother Johnny did (and is still doing)

Coyote
01-17-2011, 05:21 PM
You're starting to sound like Kirk Hammet from the Monster video when they wouldn't let him play his solos.

Can't be true... I play better than him... :biggrin: