PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop

Seshmeister
01-17-2011, 08:24 AM
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E3mzhvMgrLE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0 x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E3mzhvMgrLE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0 x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Health and safety has come a long way over the past couple of decades, and technology has had a lot to do with that. But there’s some areas where even with technology in place to help, you’d rather just not run the risk of injury.

The inventor in the video above came up with a solution to stopping your fingers getting cut off by a table saw called SAWSTOP. The saw has a sensor fitted which detects electrical conductivity. The idea being that piece of wood you are slicing through doesn’t conduct, where as your finger does. So if your fingers strays into the path of the blade it stops instantaneously and is pulled away so as to stop injury. It happens so fast you need a high speed camera to see it.

When activated the blade and mechanism is ruined, but can be replaced for around $60. But more importantly, you aren’t rushing to hospital with a severed finger on ice.

After seeing a sausage come away from the blade unscathed, the inventor gets confident enough to put his own finger on the line. We can’t watch it without cringing, and he admits he’s a little afraid. No amount of money would get me to try this with my own finger.

Thankfully for him, the saw sensor works, and his finger is saved. Lets hope SAWSTOP works 100% of the time, though, in case other people start testing it with their own fingers. And as Reddit commentors point out, if there’s ever another Jackass film, this will feature and it won’t be a finger they run through it.

ELVIS
01-17-2011, 08:34 AM
That is awesome!

I work with saws every day...

Nice!

:elvis:

twonabomber
01-17-2011, 08:35 AM
no manufacturer wants to use this because the designer wants a hefty licensing fee. then there's the how many millions of table saws already in use out there. hell, i don't even have the guard on mine.

someone sued one of the manufacturers for not using Sawstop after he hacked his finger off. can't remember what the judgment was.

Seshmeister
01-17-2011, 08:41 AM
I notice he put his finger in tip first rather than sideways. What a pussy! :)

Seshmeister
01-17-2011, 08:46 AM
My grandfather worked in a saw mill in the 1930s. Said the worst part of the job was cleaning out the machines when people got their hands sucked into them. Its amazing that he breathed in all that dust for years and smoked constantly from the age of 7 and his last action was to finish a cigarette before dying at 95.

ELVIS
01-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Sawdust is irritating but generally harmless...

The particles are not small enough to cause damage...

Seshmeister
01-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Seems debatable but personally I would still wear a mask which they didn't in those days.

http://www.articlesbase.com/cancer-articles/can-breathing-sawdust-cause-cancer-2309083.html

I suppose at least in those days the wood was less likely to be full of chemicals.

ELVIS
01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
That's true...

twonabomber
01-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Sawdust is irritating but generally harmless...

The particles are not small enough to cause damage...

makes funny colored boogers though.