PDA

View Full Version : Mixed reaction to Ricky Gervais as Golden Globes host

Seshmeister
01-17-2011, 03:16 PM
I thought he was good although he was a bit relentless in the roasting. :)

These people have been getting their assholes kissed for so long by so many people they have no grasp of reality.

Interesting that he disappeared for an hour in the middle, I think he got a ton of shit. The 85 year old president guy was not happy. :D

Comedian Ricky Gervais promised this year he would push the boundaries as he hosted the Golden Globes for a second time.

"I think I'll go just close enough to the edge but not go over it," he said on the red carpet before the ceremony.

But by the end of the star-studded bash, many were left debating whether he had gone too far in his jibes at the gathered celebrities and even organisers the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA).

He opened the show in no-nonsense style saying: "It's going to be a night of partying and heavy drinking - or as Charlie Sheen calls it, breakfast."

After a barrage of jokes, the rumour mill then went into overdrive after Gervais apparently disappeared for nearly an hour during the live ceremony.

When he eventually returned, he appeared to be less offensive, prompting a number of people to question what had happened to him.

Had he been fired? Been given a telling off? Ordered to tone it down?

Former newspaper editor and Britain's Got Talent judge Piers Morgan tweeted: "1st question when Gervais appears on @pierstonight on Thurs - what the hell did they do to you backstage for an hour? He looks haunted."

Here's a selection of his more controversial jokes:

"It was a big year for 3D movies. Toy Story, Despicable Me, Tron. It seems like everything this year was three-dimensional, except the characters in The Tourist. I already feel bad about that joke. I'm jumping on the bandwagon, because I haven't even seen The Tourist. Who has?

I'd like to quash the rumours that the only reason The Tourist was nominated was so that the Hollywood Foreign Press can hang out with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. That is rubbish, that is not the only reason - they also accepted bribes.

"I Love You Phillip Morris stars Jim Carey and Ewan McGregor - two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay. So, the complete opposite of some famous scientologists. Probably. My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."

"I was sure the Golden Globe for special effects would go to the team that airbrushed [the Sex and the City 2] poster. Girls, we know how old you are. I saw one of you in an episode of Bonanza."

On Jennifer Lopez - "She's just Jenny from the block. If the block in question is that one on Rodeo Drive between Cartier and Prada."

On multi-millionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg: "Heather Mills calls him the one that got away."

While introducing Robert Downey Jr - "Many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail."

When he took to the stage, Downey Jr quipped in return: "Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited, with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show is pretty good so far, wouldn't you?"

He later said backstage: 'I think it's great to be funny, but it's better if you can do it without hurting people."

Other celebrities also expressed their opinions on Gervais's hosting skills - Oscar winner Tom Hanks said while presenting an award: "We recall when Ricky Gervais was a slightly chubby but very kind comedian," to which his Toy Story 3 co-star Tim Allen quickly added: "Neither of which he is now."

And after suggesting he had to help HFPA president Philip Berk "off the toilet and pop his teeth back in", Berk fired back at Gervais: "The next time you want someone to qualify your movies, go to another guy."

Tom Hanks and Tim Allen expressed their dismay at Gervais's hosting skills

Hollywood film producer Harvey Weinstein joked that Gervais would "not make it out of town" that night.

"There are seven people that we've hired to kill him and deservedly so. Knowing that Ricky Gervais will never work again means a lot to me, I'm going to make sure of it," he told journalists backstage.

But some attendees endorsed the comic's jokes. 30 Rock star Alec Baldwin was spotted wiping tears from his eyes throughout the ceremony, and lifetime achievement winner Robert De Niro was also seen laughing all the way through.

While The Social Network and best supporting actor nominee Andrew Garfield told the Los Angeles Times: "He's been terribly nasty and horribly rude and I think he's genius."

US critics were not kind in their review of Gervais's "performance".

The Los Angeles Times said his jokes set "a corrosive tone" for the night, while TV critic Mary McNamara said: "The opposite of dull and deferential is not snotty and abusive."

"It would not have been surprising to see a hook emerge suddenly stage left or to learn that the host had taken 'suddenly ill'," she added.

The New York Times said the comic was "merciless from the start" while the Hollywood Reporter said it would "undoubtedly be his last hosting gig for the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (and, who knows, maybe any Stateside awards)".

However Entertainment Weekly's Ken Tucker had nothing but praise for him: "Thanks once again to Ricky Gervais for bringing the sort of funny rudeness and effrontery... that make an awards show such as the Golden Globes engaging to watch."

The King's Speech director Tom Hooper perhaps summed up the general feeling after the ceremony: "I thought he was hilarious but will he ever present another award show again? I don't know but if he went out, he went out burning."

VAiN
01-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Good for him... These Hollywood pukes deserve a little ribbing... imagine how offended they'd be if they had 'real' jobs? I know I am....

Seshmeister
01-17-2011, 04:12 PM
J-Lo looked surprised and a bit outraged at him for "She's just Jenny from the block. If the block in question is that one on Rodeo Drive between Cartier and Prada."

This is the woman who has an entourage of 30 people. You can see one of her riders here http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstage/divas/jennifer-lopez-0

I'm surprised and disappointed at Robert Downey taking offence too at a pretty mild quip considering.

sadaist
01-17-2011, 04:29 PM
One thing I don't like is how every single host of anything nowadays has to basically roast every person they refer to. I thought the jokes were funny, spot on, but pushing the edge a bit of possibly offending. That's what roast type jokes do. But it just seems that very few comedians can make really good jokes without using this type of "roast" humor. That I'd like to see. It's much more challenging.

Still funny. And if Robert Downey Jr doesn't like rehab or jail jokes...he shouldn't have gone to rehab & jail. He is becoming the typical A-lister where his farts won't stink anymore. He used to be a regular dude, which is why so many people liked him.

I think the only real guy left in Hollywood right now is Charlie Sheen. That guy is fucking epic. Who wouldn't want a Las Vegas weekend with him?

Kristy
01-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Gervais is a bit of a douche. Any comedian that drowns himself in too much alcohol only in return to laugh at his own jokes is rarely funny. But Sesh has a point in that many entertainment actors tend to parade their egos over their acting skills need to be taken down a peg or two, Gervais doesn't know when to shut the fuck up.

Seshmeister
01-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Still funny. And if Robert Downey Jr doesn't like rehab or jail jokes...he shouldn't have gone to rehab & jail. He is becoming the typical A-lister where his farts won't stink anymore. He used to be a regular dude, which is why so many people liked him.

Totally. Just a couple of years ago he was still laughing at himself about it and then he gets the Iron Man gig and he's given himself a cranial rectal implant.

What a fucking sell out.

Seshmeister
01-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Gervais is a bit of a douche. Any comedian that drowns himself in too much alcohol only in return to laugh at his own jokes is rarely funny.

He wasn't remotely drunk it's just that US TV has got so incredibly squeaky clean that seeing an adult drinking a beer is somehow shocking.

The funny thing of course is that usually we are constantly told that all these people had demons and are recovering addicts but we never actually hear about it until after they have stopped.

Grant
01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Haha, nice.

Little Texan
01-17-2011, 08:40 PM
"I Love You Phillip Morris stars Jim Carey and Ewan McGregor - two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay. So, the complete opposite of some famous scientologists. Probably. My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."

I like that one the best, an obvious shot at John Travolta and Tom Cruise. Those crazy Scientologists deserve every jab they get.

sadaist
01-17-2011, 09:02 PM
John Travolta and Tom Cruise. Those crazy Scientologists deserve every jab they get.

Funny choice of wording since we're talking about them taking it in the poop shoot.

lesfunk
01-17-2011, 10:05 PM
I just watched the snippets from this year and last on youtube and I found it quite brilliant though I would never watch the actual show.. I Love to see celebrities squirm.

fryingdutchman
01-18-2011, 06:29 AM
Gervais is hilarious, and these Golden Globe / Hollywood Foreign Press assholes need to get a grip.

The knew EXACTLY what they were getting with Gervais, and they LOVE all of this post-event publicity...despite their public outcries about "good taste" and "decorum."

The Golden Globes have become the supermarket tabloid of award shows anyway, so do they really want to starty crying foul over issues of "taste?"

Every time it gets close to Golden Globes-time, all you hear from Hollywood is how that's the one award show where all the stars get shitfaced and stupid, and it's their one night to cut loose and behave badly...or at least, worse than normal.

Get over it, Golden Globes.

fryingdutchman
01-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Gervais is a bit of a douche. Any comedian that drowns himself in too much alcohol only in return to laugh at his own jokes is rarely funny. But Sesh has a point in that many entertainment actors tend to parade their egos over their acting skills need to be taken down a peg or two, Gervais doesn't know when to shut the fuck up.

The beer is a prop. He uses it in all of his stand-up shows as well.

But he never gets fucked up. Shit...for all we know it could be no worse than the "near beer" the used to serve on "Cheers" during production.

Golden AWe
01-18-2011, 09:57 AM
I haven't seen it yet...but I'm pro Gervais!!!

Agree with Sadaist though, it is more challenging to come up with no-roast. That booty dark-haired stand-up chick from Staurday Night Live a year or two ago, I remember her making fun of Britney Spears? That's a fine example of "semi-roast", I mean, Spears, Lohan etc. are a big self-roast no matter what they do themselves...it's too easy to mock them.

The british "Office" REWLS. Gervais was GRATE when hosting that big concert put up by the princes William and Harry, btw.