PDA

View Full Version : Fender Japan is cooler than Fender US (Bass Content) Cato Chime in!

lesfunk
01-19-2011, 07:37 PM
http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/shopping/...ort=1&fair=425
http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/shopping/...=425&id=153097

lesfunk
01-19-2011, 07:40 PM
That's not what I wanted to post but fuck it. I'll fix it later

lesfunk
01-19-2011, 07:43 PM
try this
http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/shopping/goods/goods.php?offset=0&count=12&sort=1&fair=425

ashstralia
01-20-2011, 09:21 AM
i have an '88 strat (62 re-issue) and an '81 jv series j-bass. both awesome guitars, half the price of u.s. built and easily as good or better.

Cato
01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
well made imitations

Nitro Express
01-20-2011, 06:13 PM
i have an '88 strat (62 re-issue) and an '81 jv series j-bass. both awesome guitars, half the price of u.s. built and easily as good or better.

I had a friend in Orange County that took a tour of the old Fender plant in Fullerton and he said even in the early 80's they were hand shaping the necks with belt sanders. He said there was saw dust flying all over the place. Fender just about went belly up in those days as well and everyone was seeking pre CBS stuff for playing and not just collecting. Everyone viewed the 70's Fenders as shit and what's ironic is now the 70's shit is collectable. Go figure.

ThrillsNSpills
01-20-2011, 06:23 PM
My first guitar was a 70's strat. Damn that bugger was a nightmare.
Wish I still had it though. God knows why....couldn't keep that fucker in tune for anything, not that it mattered I sucked . lol

sadaist
01-20-2011, 06:44 PM
I had a friend in Orange County that took a tour of the old Fender plant in Fullerton and he said even in the early 80's they were hand shaping the necks with belt sanders. He said there was saw dust flying all over the place. Fender just about went belly up in those days as well and everyone was seeking pre CBS stuff for playing and not just collecting. Everyone viewed the 70's Fenders as shit and what's ironic is now the 70's shit is collectable. Go figure.

In Ontario now. About 25 minutes from me. I've watched several YouTube videos of the place. Looks like the guys there enjoy their work. I always check the employment section to see what (if any) positions are open. Ya never know. And how cool would it be working with a legend and maybe getting to meet the occasional rock star.

ashstralia
01-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Everyone viewed the 70's Fenders as shit and what's ironic is now the 70's shit is collectable. Go figure.

yeah man, during my years in retail/repair i reckon i saw 20-30 '70's strats, and they were all crap. then again, that's likely the reason their owners wanted to trade them. even up to the early '90's they were rubbish imho. and don't get me started on lace pickups! :)

Diamondjimi
01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
I own a '94.Jap Strat 1962 reissue. Sustain for days. I fucking love it....

Nitro Express
01-20-2011, 09:14 PM
My first guitar was a 70's strat. Damn that bugger was a nightmare.
Wish I still had it though. God knows why....couldn't keep that fucker in tune for anything, not that it mattered I sucked . lol

It's best to start off on a hard tail guitar to eliminate all the tuning issues.

I always liked the big 70's headstock with the bullet truss rod. I bought a Mexican reissue and it was set up perfectly and stays in tune great. Go figure. Raul or Jose in Ensenada did a good job. It's three bolt and has a thick polyester finish but sustains like a mother fucker. Great guitar.

Nitro Express
01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I own a '94.Jap Strat 1962 reissue. Sustain for days. I fucking love it....

Strats are ok until you find a great one. I don't know what makes the magic but when you find the magical one, WOW!

Nitro Express
01-20-2011, 09:22 PM
In Ontario now. About 25 minutes from me. I've watched several YouTube videos of the place. Looks like the guys there enjoy their work. I always check the employment section to see what (if any) positions are open. Ya never know. And how cool would it be working with a legend and maybe getting to meet the occasional rock star.

Fender is using modern CNC tools now. Peavey was the first to do it because they were forced into the instrument business in order to sell amplifiers. Hartley was a gun collector and wondered how gun companies could mass produce very precision wood rifle stocks but guitar companies built inconsistent guitars. He ordered a special lath and mill out of Germany and used precision wood working techniques from the gun industry and applied it to guitars. He could really produce a lot of guitars fast with good precision. With CNC and 3D scanners it's even gone further.

Fender and most manufactures have gone this route.

ashstralia
01-20-2011, 09:38 PM
^^^ true dat, so good ol' hartley will have an important place in guitar history.

Diamondjimi
01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Strats are ok until you find a great one. I don't know what makes the magic but when you find the magical one, WOW!

I knew this one was a keeper the first time I played it.

ashstralia
01-20-2011, 10:11 PM
it's funny too... my 'standard strat test' is 'lenny' then 'little wing'. the truly great strats seem to know those songs were created for them. a little hippy zen, i know. :)

Hardrock69
01-21-2011, 03:21 AM
I toured the Fender factory in 1991. Pretty cool.

And yes, the 70s Strats sucked ass. That fucking 3-bolt-neck design was great for moving the neck around while you were onstage. Micro-tilt? More like "Micro-out-of-tune".

I held off on buying a Fender until they came out with the Lead I in 1980. I bought it instead of a Strat because it was the first 4-bolt-neck Fender they had produced in over a decade.
That one was black, but the paint began to change color after a couple of years, had some milky blotches on it. Ended up losing it to the pawnshop eventually. *sigh*.

But then got the one I have now in the late 90s, and it had been my best friend's in the early 80s, so I am cool with it.

Glad Fender went back to 4-bolt necks.

ashstralia
01-21-2011, 06:14 AM
^^ is it a japanese one, hr?