PDA

View Full Version : Fitness guru Jack LaLanne dies at 96

FORD
01-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Fitness guru Jack LaLanne dies at 96
By the CNN Wires Staff

(CNN) -- American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, California, according to his long-time agent, Rick Hersh. He was 96.

The cause, said Hersh, was respiratory failure due to pneumonia. LaLanne had been ill for the past week. His wife, Elaine, was at his side, along with his family and friends, Hersh said. No funeral arrangements were announced, but his agent said plans were being made.

LaLanne spent decades talking about the healthful benefits of exercise and fitness. He opened his own health spa in California in 1936, years before the fitness craze swept the United States. LaLanne even designed the world's first leg-extension machine, along with several other pieces of fitness equipment now standard in the fitness industry.

He was born in San Francisco on September 26, 1914. A self-confessed sugar- and junk-food addict as a child, he went on to study bodybuilding and weight-lifting by the time he was in his late teens.

From the 1950s through the 1980s, LaLanne performed multiple feats of strength and endurance. His first such stunt was an underwater swim the length of the Golden Gate Bridge, loaded with 140 pounds of equipment, in 1954. He went on to stage many attention-getting events, including completing over a thousand pushups in a little over 20 minutes, and towing 65 boats filled with thousands of pounds of wood pulp in Japan.

LaLanne had his own workout program, "The Jack LaLanne Show." First broadcast nationally in 1959, the show went on to run for three decades.

In his later years, he was easily recognized because of late-night infomercials on on the benefits of juicing.

He also made many appearances on CNN's "Larry King Live" and was a friend of the talk show host. "There was no one like Jack LaLanne," King said Sunday night. "He would go on forever ... a true guru. I guess Charles Atlas from the old comic books would be the predecessor for Jack LaLanne."

But it wasn't simply LaLanne's physical prowess that impressed King. "Elderly people were encouraged by him because he just kept on going," King said, adding that modern fitness celebrities owe a debt of gratitude to the original impresario of exercise.

LaLanne's wife of 51 years released a statement on her husband's passing: "I have not only lost my husband and a great American icon, but the best friend and most loving partner anyone could ever hope for," Elaine said.

CNN's Chuck Johnston contributed to this report

Nitro Express
01-23-2011, 11:40 PM
I remember watching him when his show was still black and white on the TV. He had this dog that would come out from behind the couch on the set.

FORD
01-23-2011, 11:41 PM
And there's your #3 in this week's "dead celebrity" sweepstakes.

Now let's all raise a toast to Jack. No, not with booze, but a healthy glass of juice, the way he would have wanted.....

http://www.jacklalannejuicerreview.org/images/jack-juicer_05.gif

Nitro Express
01-23-2011, 11:42 PM
I watched because I liked the dog.

Nitro Express
01-23-2011, 11:49 PM
I used to sit there and play with my toys watching Jack in black and white wondering if the dog was going to show up. I was obsessed.

Nitro Express
01-23-2011, 11:52 PM
And there's your #3 in this week's "dead celebrity" sweepstakes.

Now let's all raise a toast to Jack. No, not with booze, but a healthy glass of juice, the way he would have wanted.....

http://www.jacklalannejuicerreview.org/images/jack-juicer_05.gif

Yeah. Just the ticket to make a zesty bloody mary with. :biggrin:

Seshmeister
01-24-2011, 12:32 AM
It's very unusual for a fitness guru to live so long.

Nitro Express
01-24-2011, 12:39 AM
A lot of fit people die early because of a genetic disorder so good genes are part of it and then your lifestyle and eating habits come into play. Then luck. There is always that slip in the shower that can kill you.

FORD
01-24-2011, 12:47 AM
I used to sit there and play with my toys watching Jack in black and white wondering if the dog was going to show up. I was obsessed.

I forgot all about the dog. My mom used to watch his show every morning when I was a kid, and I'd totally forgotten about the fucking dog until now. Now I'll probably have Jack LaLanne flashbacks for the rest of the night. :biggrin:

Nitro Express
01-24-2011, 01:13 AM
That dog rocked! Talk about a great dog diet. Meat, liver, eggs. I just feed our dog the dehydrated store bought shit.

sadaist
01-24-2011, 01:47 AM
My mom used to watch his show every morning when I was a kid,. :biggrin:

Same

In 1980 I had a busted femur & was in a body cast. Hospital bed set up in the family room at home. Mom was recovering from broken ribs at same time from bodysurfing in Hawaii. We spent every morning watching I Love Lucy & Jack LaLanne. Eating grilled cheese sammiches and fresh peaches. Even though we were both physically a mess, it was a great time.

rest in peace Jack.

Hardrock69
01-24-2011, 03:03 AM
I used to watch him in the 60s. His show was on at like 8 in the morning, right when I was getting ready to go to school.

Kudos to him for being a pioneer in the health and fitness field. Though those stupid looking ballet-slipper type shoes always kinda creeped me out, lol.

RIP Jack. You really made a difference.

Seshmeister
01-24-2011, 07:16 AM
That dog rocked! Talk about a great dog diet. Meat, liver, eggs. I just feed our dog the dehydrated store bought shit.

I amuse myself winding up the animal lovers in the house by shouting DEAD!!! any time one appears on TV in anything over 20 years old. :)

diamondsgirl
01-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Was his wife really Elaine LaLanne? That's some funny shit.:biggrin:

My your husband rest in peace.

Nitro Express
01-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Same

In 1980 I had a busted femur & was in a body cast. Hospital bed set up in the family room at home. Mom was recovering from broken ribs at same time from bodysurfing in Hawaii. We spent every morning watching I Love Lucy & Jack LaLanne. Eating grilled cheese sammiches and fresh peaches. Even though we were both physically a mess, it was a great time.

rest in peace Jack.

Did your mom have a wave break on top of her? That happened to me surfing the wedge down in Newport Beach. An underwater earthquake caused huge surf and I mistimed the wave and it crested and boke on top of me and my board. Knocked all the air out of me, busted some ribs and I almost drowned. Ripped the tether right off my ankle.

SunisinuS
01-24-2011, 11:52 AM
R.I.P. Jack. You were an inspiration and you always reminded me of my Uncle. My your family find comfort in a life well lived.