PDA

View Full Version : Flavor Flav -- The Ad That Sets America Back 60 Yrs

Jagermeister
01-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Flavor Flav loves his fried chicken so much -- he put his own GIANT face right on the menu at his new joint in Iowa.

TMZ has obtained photos of Flav at his new "Flav's Fried Chicken" restaurant in Clinton, Iowa yesterday -- where he debuted his eye-popping yellow and orange menus ... and his self-indulgent sign out front.
http://photos.tmz.com/galleries/flavor_flav_fried_chicken#tab=most_recent

http://www.vibe.com/posts/flavor-flav-opens-chicken-joint-stereotypical-ad-sets-black-america-back

Flavor Flav opened up a fried chicken joint (not that we're surprised) in Clinton, Iowa Monday. Flavor Flav’s Chicken (FFC) is just one of what the 51-year-old rapper turned reality star plans to franchise around the country. Flav graduated from cooking school in 1978 and plans to be hands on with his food.

“You're going to find me in here working," Flavor Flav told the Clinton Herald newspaper. "You're going to be catching me seasoning my chicken, flouring my chicken, frying up my chicken, and not only that, but serving my chicken to my people. The taste will blow up your taste buds. You'll have fireworks in there.”

We’re used to Flav being coonish over-the-top but that ad has to go. It’s a slap in the face to the Civil Rights leaders who fought to eradicate extremely racist and stereotypical advertising in the United States and now this--right on the heels of Martin Luther King Day and at the precipice of Black History Month. All that’s missing from the picture is the watermelon flavored 40s (smh).

Dear Flavor Flav, your Public Enemy pass has been revoked

Jagermeister
01-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Couldn't he have come up with something more original? Like I don't know Flavor Flavs BBQ or Flavor Flavs Soul Food House.

Seshmeister
01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Maybe 20 years back to the days of Dan Quayle?

Can none of these fucking idiots spell potato?

http://cdn.photos.tmz.com/gallery_images/images/2011/01/DSC_0067_full.jpg

lesfunk
01-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Who doesn't love Fried chicken? yum!

Blaze
01-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Good for him! Send me some boy! err male.

Satan
01-25-2011, 11:46 PM
deep fried corn??

We don't even have that in Hell, and everything is deep fried down here.

Unchainme
01-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Public Enemy used to be a damn good group back in the 80's/90's...Chuck D and Flava as his hypeman were pretty damn good tandem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWTE1Uj9Z8c

now dude's just a clown, and to see him do this shit is a disgrace to legit hip-hop.

Satan
01-26-2011, 12:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBA-xi8WuCU

Little Texan
01-26-2011, 12:30 AM
deep fried corn??

We don't even have that in Hell, and everything is deep fried down here.

I'm guessing deep fried corn is referring to corn fritters, also called corn nuggets. Of course ya'll don't have that in hell! Corn Fritters are good, and isn't the food supposed to be horrible down there? :biggrin:

Satan
01-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Well, we have corn dogs in Hell. But they're actually dogs, dipped in corn batter.

ELVIS
01-26-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it, he's a ni**er...

What do you expect ??

Diamondjimi
01-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Looks like the Klan is in full swing in this thread......

I'll leave ya's to it...

Nitro Express
01-27-2011, 02:52 AM
KFC sucks these days. If the chicken and ribs are good the place will hop like Five Guys. People will try it once because of the Flav o Flav connection.

Hey, Flav is making his own money and not collecting welfare checks, he's got the right idea. Start a business and hire people.

sadaist
01-27-2011, 07:39 AM

What do you expect ??

A nitter? I could use some warm socks.

ELVIS
01-27-2011, 11:35 AM
:biggrin:

Nitro Express
01-27-2011, 01:49 PM
I wonder if Flav has installed cameras in the ladies room Chuck Berry style?:biggrin:

Jagermeister
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Maybe 20 years back to the days of Dan Quayle?

Can none of these fucking idiots spell potato?

http://cdn.photos.tmz.com/gallery_images/images/2011/01/DSC_0067_full.jpg

lol. I didnt see that. Potatoe? That must be ebonics or whatever the nitters call there own unique language.

sadaist
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
I think the confusion stems from the fact that plural is "potatoes" and people just instinctively remove only the "S" from the end. Fuck it though. If this is the worst thing we have to rip on, we're making great strides.

I wouldn't mind trying out this place though. Sounds really unhealthy & greasy. I love that. I became really great friends with a black lady at an old job I had. We started together & moved up the ranks together. She talked me into going with her whole family to a place in San Diego called Shermans. It was buffet style restaurant and it was soul food. Like, collard greens with Franks hot sauce on them, black eyed peas, fried catfish, fried chicken, red beans & rice, etc... Was a trip. I was the only white guy in the joint and I felt a lot of eyes on me the whole time. Kinda let me feel just a little what it must be like for black people in many restaurants. Food was superb and we had a great time though. Went back with them several more times over the next few years.

The kind of food where you can feel yourself getting fatter while you are eating it.

sadaist
01-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Fuck. That menu is all starches.

chefcraig
01-27-2011, 04:01 PM
The prices for the so-called "family meal deals" are every bit as over priced as the ones at KFC. 16 pieces and no sides for 21 bucks? No thanks.

Jagermeister
01-27-2011, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't eat anything from that place. If I want food poisoning I'll go get it from a resturaunt owned by a white guy. :biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-27-2011, 05:04 PM
you have no idea the color of the owner of most of the places you eat...

chefcraig
01-27-2011, 05:09 PM
If I want food poisoning I'll go get it from a resturaunt owned by a white guy. :biggrin:

Try this (http://www.sambosrestaurant.com/610/index.htm)...

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv353/jamieraek/sambosfull2.jpg

Nitro Express
01-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah, but Sambo wasn't African, he was an east Indian. They don't have bengal tigers in Africa. What I never got is you could get pancakes there but no curry dishes.

Nitro Express
01-27-2011, 05:43 PM
lol. I didnt see that. Potatoe? That must be ebonics or whatever the nitters call there own unique language.

That's the Dan Quayle special salad. For some extra money you can get it tossed by Flav. :biggrin:

Nitro Express
01-27-2011, 05:47 PM
I think the confusion stems from the fact that plural is "potatoes" and people just instinctively remove only the "S" from the end. Fuck it though. If this is the worst thing we have to rip on, we're making great strides.

I wouldn't mind trying out this place though. Sounds really unhealthy & greasy. I love that. I became really great friends with a black lady at an old job I had. We started together & moved up the ranks together. She talked me into going with her whole family to a place in San Diego called Shermans. It was buffet style restaurant and it was soul food. Like, collard greens with Franks hot sauce on them, black eyed peas, fried catfish, fried chicken, red beans & rice, etc... Was a trip. I was the only white guy in the joint and I felt a lot of eyes on me the whole time. Kinda let me feel just a little what it must be like for black people in many restaurants. Food was superb and we had a great time though. Went back with them several more times over the next few years.

The kind of food where you can feel yourself getting fatter while you are eating it.

It's just southern food. My father in law is a southerner so at the in-laws, it's fried chicken, okra, corn bread, black eyed peas, catfish, hush puppies, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens.

Jagermeister
you have no idea the color of the owner of most of the places you eat...

You know me better than that. :biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
Yeah, but Sambo wasn't African, he was an east Indian. They don't have bengal tigers in Africa.

Tigers Kill Suspect at South African Zoo
A suspected mugger being chased by security guards met a grisly end after he fled into a zoo and climbed into the tiger enclosure.

His mauled body was discovered Sunday by a visitor to the zoo in this central Southern African city, prompting initial confusion as to how the man ended up in the enclosure.

Police said Wednesday the man and an accomplice had robbed a couple at knifepoint early Sunday. Security guards gave chase and one of the suspects jumped over the perimeter fence. He then apparently ran to the tiger's den in the middle of the zoo.

"What exactly happened we don't know and we won't ever know because the only person who could tell us is dead," police spokeswoman Else Gerber said.

She said there was an empty can of beer near the corpse and that the autopsy would reveal whether the man was intoxicated at the time.

Zoo officials have said the Bengal tigers will not be destroyed because they were blameless. The tigers had been fed on Saturday and so did not eat the man because they were not hungry, according to media reports.

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...i101955S62.DTL

PETE'S BROTHER
01-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Yeah, but Sambo wasn't African, he was an east Indian.

don't you call them "pull starts"?

Jagermeister
01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
don't you call them "pull starts"?

Dot Heads is what I call them.

Nitro Express
I want to taste the love baybee!

chefcraig
Yeah, but Sambo wasn't African, he was an east Indian.

Doesn't matter. The chain was plagued by protests and boycotts in the late seventies because of the negative perception of the name. The company went so far as to change the name because of the furor, not to mention municipalities refused the restaurants to open or even be built because of it. Ironically, when the chain went bankrupt, many of the restaurants were sold to Denny's, an outfit that had it's own issues in the past decade for refusing to serve blacks.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-27-2011, 05:57 PM

dot heads are "push starts" turbans are "pull starts"

Nitro Express
01-27-2011, 05:57 PM

Now now. These are the people who wrote the Kama Sutra. No wonder there are a billion of them. All those centuries of fucking and sucking without good birth control.

indeedido
01-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah, but Sambo wasn't African, he was an east Indian. They don't have bengal tigers in Africa. What I never got is you could get pancakes there but no curry dishes.

The restaurant though was a pun on a popular children's book at the time called "Little Black Sambo". See the similarity?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/173977.jpg

sadaist
01-27-2011, 06:18 PM
It's just southern food. My father in law is a southerner so at the in-laws, it's fried chicken, okra, corn bread, black eyed peas, catfish, hush puppies, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens.

Makes sense. My friends that took me there were from Louisiana. That food was fucking good though.

sadaist
01-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Is it racist that I prefer the dark meat?

ashstralia
01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
our local indian joint has the best tikka masala and garlic naan ever. fucking epic.

chefcraig
01-27-2011, 06:25 PM

As long as your friends and family (as well as her's) don't mind, who cares?

PETE'S BROTHER
01-27-2011, 06:33 PM

i'm sure somebody will think so

Terry
01-30-2011, 08:49 PM

Southerers LOVE deep fried catfish.

It IS pretty good.

I like collard greens, although a few hours after eating them I always blow an o-ring.

vh rides again
01-30-2011, 09:59 PM
I just seen this and had to laugh. My partner and I have been planning a trip up to clinton for the last week to get us some of that chicken, its only a half hour drive up the mississippi. Ill let you all know the scoop on the place.
A local radio station in Davenport Iowa was there for the grand opening and the DJs said the waitresses were HOT and the chicken was good.
I would like to get a pic with flav.

Nitro Express
01-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Southerers LOVE deep fried catfish.

It IS pretty good.

I like collard greens, although a few hours after eating them I always blow an o-ring.

Hell yeah. Deep fried catfish is done well is the shit. Add in some hush puppies and a side of collards and youse be fine eating.

ashstralia
01-31-2011, 02:51 AM
i'm so going to google all this food for my next 'gday usa' party.

Nitro Express
01-31-2011, 11:12 AM

Chicken is like suntanned women. The white parts taste the best.:biggrin:

Nitro Express
01-31-2011, 11:15 AM
i'm so going to google all this food for my next 'gday usa' party.

If you got access to good seafood, do a cajun boil. Shit, they eat gators in the south, you could just substitute crock meat for that. Hey, if it lives in a mud hole a Louisiana cajun will find a way to cook it and eat it.:biggrin:

If you have heat, you can grow okra. It thrives on heat and collard grow like weeds.

Little Texan
02-01-2011, 03:57 AM
Chicken is like suntanned women. The white parts taste the best.:biggrin:

Fuck no! The dark meat is the tastiest meat on a chicken! The drumstick is my favorite part of the chicken...it's the easiest to eat as it has a handle on it and it is also the tastiest (dark meat). I used to love Chicken McNuggets at McDonald's until they started making them with nothing but white meat.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I used to love Chicken McNuggets at McDonald's until they started making them with nothing but white meat.

they use feet, beaks and glue...... no white meat:barf:

PETE'S BROTHER
04-25-2011, 03:40 PM
CLINTON, Iowa – A fried chicken restaurant in Iowa founded by Flavor Flav has abruptly closed its doors after the reality TV star and his business partner cut ties and exchanged harsh words.
Flav's Fried Chicken in Clinton, Iowa, closed on Sunday, just four months after opening to much fanfare.
Flav told WQAD-TV that he was pulling a license that allowed restaurant manager Nick Cimino to use his name in the restaurant because he "isn't running the business right." Some former employees had complained they were not paid.
Cimino told the station Flav was "a fraud" who was trying to get rich off of his ideas and work.

:lmao:

Jagermeister
04-25-2011, 03:50 PM
CLINTON, Iowa – A fried chicken restaurant in Iowa founded by Flavor Flav has abruptly closed its doors after the reality TV star and his business partner cut ties and exchanged harsh words.
Flav's Fried Chicken in Clinton, Iowa, closed on Sunday, just four months after opening to much fanfare.
Flav told WQAD-TV that he was pulling a license that allowed restaurant manager Nick Cimino to use his name in the restaurant because he "isn't running the business right." Some former employees had complained they were not paid.
Cimino told the station Flav was "a fraud" who was trying to get rich off of his ideas and work.

:lmao:

*Las Vegas is getting ready to welcome Flavor Flav’s chicken joint. Oh and it also turns out that he’s pulling the plug on his business partner Nick Cimino who was bouncing checks and serving up old food at the Clinton, Iowa spot.

According to TMZ, the former rapper is looking to expand his empire of fried chicken without Cimino.

“I had a licensing agreement with Nick Cimino and that’s all we had. It was his business to run from there and the business was not run right.” He continued, “Let me be straight up with you, I went up inside there on April 2 and I found potato salad that expired on February 28. And it’s then when I realized I can’t do business with this man and I really hope no one ate those potatoes.”

:barf:

http://www.eurweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/flavor-flav-fried-chicken.jpeg

ODShowtime
04-26-2011, 06:54 AM

What do you expect ??

Bad news... he's got more talent and money than you ever will. Rocked far more stadiums and sold more records than you could dream of.

Jagermeister
04-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Bad news... he's got more talent and money than you ever will. Rocked far more stadiums and sold more records than you could dream of.

I don't see how that changes anything Elvis said.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-09-2011, 01:25 PM
:biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
08-09-2011, 01:27 PM
http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/08/flavor-flav-dee-snider-to-swap-wives/?hpt=hp_bn5

dee snider and flav are wife swappers