PDA

View Full Version : I don't think Just Like Paradise is too pop

ShadowOfTheWave
01-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Alot of people have criticized this song, and yeah it has synths but the lyrics are pure good time rock n roll, definately better than any of the other synth pop that was out at the time. I feel the same about A Little Ain't Enough. I don't understand why it having a pop hook means it can't be a great rock song. Dave has had a very varied career, but he's never comprised his lyrical style imo.

sadaist
01-27-2011, 08:38 AM
I like it. It's no more "pop" than Jump is...or anything done by Van Hagar. Fun song to be drunk at the beach & sing along to.

ELVIS
01-27-2011, 09:05 AM
And watch the chicks laugh at you as they walk away...

sadaist
01-27-2011, 10:52 AM
And watch the chicks laugh at you as they walk away...

The last chick that laughed as she walked away from me took half my stuff. Dumb bitch. So I'm fine with them laughing as long as they pass me by & don't stop & mingle. One more and I'm gonna be down to 1/4 stuff.....and I like my stuff!

ELVIS
01-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Next time don't pick a life partner based on how hot you think she is at the time...:biggrin:

vaijuju
01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Steve Vai Hates this song !He didn't like play it !

binnie
01-27-2011, 01:46 PM
The problem with the song is the awful 80s production - it sounds very tired these days.

It is a great hook, though.

Dave's Bitch
01-28-2011, 09:34 AM
It's a great one to blast when you are stuck at the lights.Turn up to 11 and watch the heads turn :)

sonrisa salvaje
01-28-2011, 01:08 PM
I think it had more the perception of being a pop song than it actually was just due to it being the first thing to come out after Eatem and Smile. It does have a dated sound to it and it didn't hold up very well. As for Steve Vai not liking it, tough shit. I'll bet he liked the royalty checks from it going platinum.

Jagermeister
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
This is a great song. WTF is the matter with you people? Rockin steady in her daddy's car! Hello!!!!

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Steve Vai Hates this song !He didn't like play it !

maybe cause he had to lug around that 3 neck goofy guitar.....

sadaist
01-28-2011, 01:38 PM
As for Steve Vai not liking it, tough shit. I'll bet he liked the royalty checks from it going platinum.

So he could buy more gay guitars like that 3 necked heart disaster he has in the video. WTF? Vinnie Vincent envy much?

Satan
01-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Skycrapper was definitely Dave's low point. Still better than Othisblowsgoats2, but not by much. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

chefcraig
01-28-2011, 01:46 PM

Vai is a pussy. Real men use 5...

http://i52.tinypic.com/2me1eup.gif

sadaist
01-28-2011, 01:46 PM

Phucker!

You beat me to it by 1 minute.

sadaist
01-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Vai is a pussy. Real men use 5...

http://i52.tinypic.com/2me1eup.gif

No.

Real men only need 1....and a tiny one at that!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FR6DXnEnAuk/SVOoJ4l6rrI/AAAAAAAAEhg/M3aJFJJ70VE/s400/Les+Paul+Little+Guitar.png

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Phucker!

You beat me to it by 1 minute.

:tongue0011:

Jagermeister
01-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Via did his best work with Dave IMO. Whitesnake close behind.

Satan
01-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Fuck Whitesnake with a dull rusty pitchfork.

Other than DLR, Vai's best work was with Johnny Rotten's Public Image Limited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRHlNm7k7nA

Jagermeister
01-28-2011, 02:02 PM

:umm:

As you know I am no stranger to hell and not to pick on your musical taste but that sucks. :biggrin:

Jagermeister
01-28-2011, 02:08 PM
This was Johnny Lydon's band. Bill Laswell, the producer, called and I flew in & out of New York from Alcatrazz shows to cut the parts. I did basically all the guitar parts in 2 days. Bill Laswell took a very interesting approach to the production of this disc. Some of the material I'd never heard and just went in and started playing on it. At the end, Johnny Lydon came in and liked it.

Hanging out with him is a unique pleasure. There was the consideration of putting a band together --- him, myself, Bill Laswell on bass and Ginger Baker on drums. Would have been quite a band. One of my favorite memories of this time is of walking through downtown Soho Village in New York with Johnny Lydon. He's a complete celebrity and his fans are fiercely devoted. We were sitting in a restaurant and some guy came up to him with some lyrics he wrote. The first line read "I fucked Christ". Hmmm, very New York?

Another interesting thing I noticed about Lydon is this wonderful habit he has --- no matter where he is, no matter who he's with, whether he's in an expensive restaurant, an elevator or any place... he'll just blow snot right out of his nose. It was quite interesting to watch the reactions of the passers-by or gourmet diners. His attitude and drive in the face of adversity is intense. It's a brilliant record.

Yes Steve we know. Everything you do is "brilliant".

chefcraig
01-28-2011, 02:15 PM
I still believe Vai's best work was with Frank Zappa, followed by the stuff he did for Crossroads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBUd2PQMKZ0

Jagermeister
01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah he was less stuck on himslef then to. Not a big fan of Zappa but can't really knock him either.

Etienne
01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Via did his best work with Dave IMO. Whitesnake close behind.

I like the Whitesnake album "Slip Of The Tongue"... great guitarwork by Mr. Vai...

Jagermeister
01-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I like the Whitesnake album "Slip Of The Tongue"... great guitarwork by Mr. Vai...

Indeed. One of the best albums of the erra.

LEFTY is Gar's Bitch
01-29-2011, 03:50 PM
what is a vai?

chefcraig
01-29-2011, 03:59 PM
what is a vai?

It's short for vagina. Judging by your avatar, it's quite understandable that you've never seen yours.

Terry
01-29-2011, 08:53 PM
JLP is okay...never really one of my favorite Roth tunes...even within the context of the Skyscraper album.

Would agree that the production on the tune is a bit too mid-range. No bottom end, no balls. All of which might be appropriate for some pop tunes, but doesn't necessarily HAVE to be the case.

After the bombast of EEAS, Skyscraper as a whole is a bit meek at times in terms of a follow-up. Much of it doesn't really have a timeless quality.

Then again, none of the artists I dig hit a home run with every single track or album.

CROWBAR
01-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Supposedly, there are master tracks for the original recordings that Billy Sheehan has with his bass definitely being heard on them. Dave came in and changed everything for a poppier sound. I've read that anyway. I'd say it's probably true because after that was released Sheehan bailed. It probably pissed him off, the way production for that album ended up shorting his considerable skills. Why Dave wanted to bury him in the mix is beyond me. Brett Tuggle's synth's gave it the cheese factor, plus Dave's lyrics. Hina is really the only good song off of that imo.

That album and EEAS sound dated to me. Hardly listen to them anymore. Liked the DLR Band the most out of all the solo stuff. Too bad production for that one was too muddy. Could have been so much better.

Etienne
01-30-2011, 03:44 PM
I like it. It's no more "pop" than Jump is...or anything done by Van Hagar. Fun song to be drunk at the beach & sing along to.

I agree... It once appeared in Beverly Hills 90210, beach scenery, as far as I remember :hee:

ALMOSTsaved
01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
For me, even though I was always a HUGE fan of Dave, "Skyscraper" was a big step back from "Eat 'Em And Smile." To this day I can crank up "EEAS" and listen to it from top to bottom and love every bit of it. As for "Skyscraper" I really only enjoy listening to "Knucklebones", "Damn Good" and "Hina." The production sucked and some of the songs were shit in my opinion. I know I'm in the minority but I never really liked "Hot Dog & A Shake."

CROWBAR
02-01-2011, 02:30 PM
For me, even though I was always a HUGE fan of Dave, "Skyscraper" was a big step back from "Eat 'Em And Smile." To this day I can crank up "EEAS" and listen to it from top to bottom and love every bit of it. As for "Skyscraper" I really only enjoy listening to "Knucklebones", "Damn Good" and "Hina." The production sucked and some of the songs were shit in my opinion. I know I'm in the minority but I never really liked "Hot Dog & A Shake."

You're not alone. I've never liked that corny fuckin' song. Possibly Dave's worst ever. Hate it, and have always skipped it.

ALMOSTsaved
02-01-2011, 03:31 PM
You're not alone. I've never liked that corny fuckin' song. Possibly Dave's worst ever. Hate it, and have always skipped it.

Excellent. Glad to read I'm not the only one. Back in the day I swear to God it seemed it was the ONLY tune on the album my friends liked. I think they liked it for Vai's insane wankfest of a solo. I liked nothing about it.

sonrisa salvaje
02-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Excellent. Glad to read I'm not the only one. Back in the day I swear to God it seemed it was the ONLY tune on the album my friends liked. I think they liked it for Vai's insane wankfest of a solo. I liked nothing about it.

I also agree. I never liked that song and i consider Dave to be a master lyricist. Those lyrics, from the burger shop floor to the title, just make me cringe. I feel much the same way about Shoot It off of ALAE. Skyscraper as a whole was just too dependent on keyboards as a driving force. Two Fools A Minute is a classic though.

SunisinuS
02-01-2011, 05:37 PM

I hate "Hot Dog & A Shake". It is right up there with The Police's "Born in the 50's". "Hina" rocked and was akin to "Secrets" lyrically. As far as Paradise goes....it is a good song to clear a bar after Last Call. Catchy tune....but you do not want to stay in it forever.

hambon4lif
02-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I was skeptical about even buying Skyscraper until I heard "Damn Good"....that fucking song is so badass on so many levels I don't even know where to start....

Say whatever you will that album, but "Stand Up" will always be Daves "Stairway To Heaven".:biggrin:

Nitro Express
02-01-2011, 06:14 PM
I know what Roth was doing with hot dog and a shake. You had to be in southern California in the 70's to get it. They had these fast paced, hyper fast food commercial going on TV at the time with the same beat. People would sing about the hot dogs, burgers, fries, and shakes. Roth turned that vibe into fucking the shit out of the girl serving you at the Der Wienerschnitzel. Cheese and sex.

Nitro Express
02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Roth is all about snorting a line of cocaine and then having sex with American California pop culture. Shamelessly rolling in it.

Terry
02-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Roth is all about snorting a line of cocaine and then having sex with American California pop culture. Shamelessly rolling in it.

That is about as good a description of Roth as any I've ever read. Sounds like something he'd say in an interview.

Terry
02-01-2011, 09:05 PM
"Stand Up" will always be Daves "Stairway To Heaven".:biggrin:

:umm:

Nitro Express
02-01-2011, 11:56 PM

SunisinuS
02-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I know what Roth was doing with hot dog and a shake. You had to be in southern California in the 70's to get it. They had these fast paced, hyper fast food commercial going on TV at the time with the same beat. People would sing about the hot dogs, burgers, fries, and shakes. Roth turned that vibe into fucking the shit out of the girl serving you at the Der Wienerschnitzel. Cheese and sex.

You had to make me do it. :( Sigh. And I grew up in So Cal.

:barf:

VHscraps
02-05-2011, 06:07 PM

The guitar work on the album is good.

Remember reading yeaaaaaaaaaaars ago that before they hired Hagar to replace DLR, they thought about Lydon / Rotten - who was living in LA at the time. Pic below is merely circumstantial ...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/3799330217_8c2f40ca3f.jpg

GO-SPURS-GO
02-05-2011, 09:24 PM

Hell yeah, E. ;) Steve's one of those players that you either get him or don't, and I totally get him! Cheap an' Nasty and Kittens Got Claws has some KILLER guitar work!! Vai's not on this, but check out this version of Sailing Ships. Dave sings the shit out of it. Killer!!

Heater
03-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Too pop?fuck no! Cotton candy, too sweet? Fuck no! Come on, a lot of dlr stuff was a step away from nickelodeon territory.

8Knucklebones
03-25-2011, 10:46 AM
I agree with you ShadowOfTheWave! Sure it has a pop like feeling but why does that need to be a downside? There's still plenty of rock energy in the song. Im one of those that likes a bit of variety from pure rock and thus I appreciate songs like California Girls or Just Like Paradise. They work really well when you're hanging out at the beach. ;) That such songs are performed by a rocker makes it all the more fun. :biggrin:

Baby's On Fire
04-07-2011, 08:53 PM
I also agree. I never liked that song and i consider Dave to be a master lyricist. Those lyrics, from the burger shop floor to the title, just make me cringe. I feel much the same way about Shoot It off of ALAE. Skyscraper as a whole was just too dependent on keyboards as a driving force. Two Fools A Minute is a classic though.

You might appreciate the brillaince of the lyrics if you realize the song is ablout Dave blowing his load in a chick's mouth.

Now listen to it again and tell me it's not brilliant.

It's a great song.

Anonymous
04-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Wha? Of all the people here that I expected to actually understand what the lyrics to "Hot Dog & a Shake" were about, Baby's On Fire was NOT one of them.

I'm flabbergasted...

And I still can't believe the sheer amount of people who actually believe Dave is really singing about Hot Dogs.

Wow.

So... what do you guys think about Springsteen's "Born in the USA"? Eh?

Wow.

Cheers! :bottle:

Baby's On Fire
04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Wha? Of all the people here that I expected to actually understand what the lyrics to "Hot Dog & a Shake" were about, Baby's On Fire was NOT one of them.

I'm flabbergasted...

And I still can't believe the sheer amount of people who actually believe Dave is really singing about Hot Dogs.

Wow.

So... what do you guys think about Springsteen's "Born in the USA"? Eh?

Wow.

I'd normally say you're smarter than you look, but I realize you just got lucky.

Now, should I explain the true meaning of Shoot It?

It's amazing how many so-called DLR fans still can't decipher the true genius of the lyrics.

And I would have included you in that.

Then again, your base and it worked in your favour this time.

Anonymous
04-07-2011, 10:32 PM
My base did what?

Back to your normal, slightly (haha) retarded self, I see.

Someone must've explained those lyrics to you. No way in hell you could've figured 'em out on your own.

rocking ron
06-10-2011, 06:07 PM
From the Skyscraper album I didn't like :barf: : Skyscraper, Hina and Hot dog and a shake that much!!!!

And strange enough "Just like Paradise' was and still is my all-time Dave's solo fave, I mean: when I'm passing away :smiley-sniffer:they have to drink beer:fufu: and play this song very loud during my funeral:stpatrick:!!!

That's what I mean with : "AMSTERDAMNED" , :fuhagar:, greetings from Holland, you know : the 'homecountry' of those 2 brothers who've started a band somewhere in LA(Pasadena) with ....the one and only :hitch:!!!!!!!

THAT'S (my) LIFE !!!

rocking ron
06-10-2011, 07:00 PM
And ofcourse the song "DAMN GOOD", yeah this is Dave at his best: damn good!!!!
I still love this song........

HEY, take a look at this picture..:dickhead::dickhead:

Can you believe that was you, Ed ????????????( & Al )

Platinum Pete
02-14-2012, 12:35 AM
I still like this song and the album. Having been a fan of Billy Sheehan since I saw him with Talas 30 years ago, it was a major disappointment for me that he was pushed so far back in the mix and his signature sound was not there. Really sorry that we couldn't have gotten Skyscraper with an EE&S sounding mix.

Bad Muthafucker
02-28-2012, 10:43 AM
I've never had a problem with "Paradise". Or the song "ALAE" for that matter.

Glitter Tot
03-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Skyscraper is my favorite DLR solo album.

EEAS was the perfect follow up to 1984. Vai and Sheehan together behind Roth made for one of the greatest supergroups of all time. Their first album together in many ways saw all of them at the peak of their powers.

But the reason I prefer Skyscraper was because it's a slight left turn into unexpected terrain. Many people criticize the production, I actually think it is immaculately produced. It's clearly a Vai album as much as a DLR album. There are multiple guitar overdubs, harmonies and textural layers providing plentifully ear-candy for the attentive listener. The same treatment is applied to Roth's vocals. Skyscraper isn't a CVH clone, it's a poppy, breezy, tight, bouncy hard rock album with sunbeaten tabular guitar playing from one of the world's best players. Less balls out rock, more polish

Glitter Tot
03-01-2012, 09:22 AM
And whilst I think "sunbeaten tabular" is a very apt sounding phrase to describe Vai's playing on Skyscraper, I can't claim it as my own. Full marks to my iPad for inventing it.

TwoFoolsAMinute
03-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Just Like Paradise is poppy. Too poppy? not sure what that means. ALAE ROCKS. I really have come to love that whole album. Skyscraper was once my favorite, but it falls a little farther back every year. Two Fools A Minute is still for me the signature David Lee Roth song. It has the best of everything of his entire career in one song...killer guitar and bass solos...nice crunchy rock rhythm...the jazzy horn section...and the most rothtastic lyrics of all. But you probably already knew I liked that tune.

rocking ron
03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
yeah, you tell this '2 times a minute haha:happy45:'

vandeleur
03-01-2012, 06:41 PM
A little ain't enough is my fav Dave solo album , just a head if eat em ... Just .... Every time I go though my a little ain't period were its all I listen to I always end up a bit gutted that Becker couldn't do the tour and get the acclaim ... Such a shame for a young talent .

Sarge
03-01-2012, 06:51 PM
I like Skyscraper, but did not like the song "Two Fools a Minute" ... at all.
I remember really liking Skyscraper at the time and the synth stuff did not bother me because that was so prevalent at the time. However, it did not age well and some of the record is hard to listen to.

Dave had some awesome videos in the 80's, but this one is not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cFl62rIgKg

ALMOSTsaved
03-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Wow. An old thread bumped. While I loved "Skyscraper" initially, it's not one of my faves now. However, if they decided to re-release it tomorrow, I'd be a same day re-buyer.

knuckleboner
03-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Skycrapper was definitely Dave's low point. Still better than Othisblowsgoats2, but not by much. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

satan!

just like paradise. damn good. hina. and of course, the knucklebones. all great songs.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-01-2012, 08:56 PM
I like Skyscraper, but did not like the song "Two Fools a Minute" ... at all.
I remember really liking Skyscraper at the time and the synth stuff did not bother me because that was so prevalent at the time. However, it did not age well and some of the record is hard to listen to.

Dave had some awesome videos in the 80's, but this one is not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cFl62rIgKg

donno. it is obvious in this video dave is thinking outside the box. he proves you can stack all your gear up on dollies and place post-it (tm cr thing) notes all over and make them look like skyscrapers. nobody else was doin' that...