PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Scared Straight....

Hardrock69
02-04-2011, 01:08 AM
A few years back I stumbled upon the A & E show "48 Hours". I have always despised the fact that numerous TV series (fictional) are Murder-Death-Kill shows.
Murder She Wrote.
CSI.
Brannigan.
Matlock.
Columbo.
Etc.

Hundreds of "Detective" or "Cop" shows dealing with Redrum.

Over in Europe they have the right idea for TV.
Senseless violence is frowned upon, but nudity is acceptable. Sure wish it was like that here in the States, lol.

But of course, "48 Hours" is a weekly documentary show following homicide detectives as they do their thing.

And after watching it once, I became a fan of the show.

The one thing that is quite obvious, and which actually bothers me greatly is that at least half of the murderers that are caught are young black males under the age of 21.

It is such a tragedy that they waste so many lives.

A young man who shoots and kills someone does not just take that life.....he takes several other lives as well.

His life. He is going to be in prison for the rest of his life. Whether he dies of old age, or gets the death sentence and has a shorter life, his life is WASTED.

His family's life. Suddenly, his parents' son is no longer going to be there. His siblings' brother is no longer going to be there.

The victim's family's life. The family of the victim is no longer going to have that person in their lives.
The victim's friends are no longer going to have him in their lives either.

Mainly it is due to stupidity. I have always felt anyway that criminals are idiots. If they put half the energy into leading a productive life that they use doing their crime, they could be really successful.

But an idiot is an idiot.

So.....about a month ago a new show made it's debut. A & E did something smart (they are not like the Big 3 networks who have legions of idiots making programming decisions that do not make any sense). They put this show on right after "48 Hours".

"Beyond Scared Straight" is just the successor to an older show called "Scared Straight", which I never watched.

Young people under the age of 18 who have been identified as being at risk of living a life of crime are invited to go to a real prison and see what it is like.

Each week the show follows a group of teenagers as they encounter prisoners up close and in their face. Last week was at a womens' prison, where one of the teenagers encountered her own mother who had recently gotten out of prison, but for some reason had fucked up and gone back. Her mother was on her knees in a group of prisoners, begging her daughter not to follow in her footsteps.

Heavy shit. :(

I think these programs are a good idea (the programs which take troubled youth into a prison to expose them to life behind bars).

This TV show also does mini-profiles on these teens, where they talk about the crimes they have committed, there are interviews with the youngster's parents, juvenile officers who have been dealing with the teen, etc.

And then, once all the shouting is over, they do a follow up, where they show whether or not the kids change their attitude as a result of seeing how close they are to being ass-raped by Bubba in the cell block. No, not all the teens get the message. There are a couple each week, where at the end of the show they mention how the teen fucked up yet again and is a juvenile detention facility, but of course they want to focus on the success stories, and it seems that with every group, most of the kids get the message. SERIOUSLY.

Some of these teens' parents are fucking idiots. Tonight's show the mother of one young man said "I don't tell him what to do, he makes his own decisions, and then if they are wrong decisions, he has to pay for it".

WTF? STUPID FUCKING BITCH!!!! :mad:

The kid was 17. This means the 'kid' is STILL legally a CHILD, and the parent SHOULD be telling the little bastard what to do! ESPECIALLY if the stupid fucking trollop cares at all about her child!

For her to make a statement like that demonstrates how little she really cares about him.

The other thing about this show (obviously) is that some of the 'parents' they interview are fucking losers, or are just bad parents, or idiots, or all of the above.

Sucks that kids like that make the wrong choices and go down the road to hell like that.

Which is why I say any sort of 'Scared Straight' program that is operated by a prison facility is a good thing.

Now....the comedy aspect. Lotta these punk-ass bitches all say the same thing at the beginning of the show. Shit like "They better not get up in my face or I will beat they ass!". Yet these same 'tough' motherfuckers are the ones who are sobbing when a double-murderer is in their face screaming at them later in the show. :hee:

I like this TV show, and I feel that 'Scared Straight' programs are an excellent idea for helping turn around the lives of troubled youth.

I watch these, and it makes me want to assist in such programs, but I personally have no desire to get any closer to a prison than driving by on the freeway. So I am just content to watch it on the idiot box.

Check this show out. It is pretty cool. And, if you can get your troubled teenager to watch it, perhaps it can help knock some sense into their head, without them actually having to be one of the kids going through a 'Scared Straight' program in person.

This message is a public service announcement from the Hardrock69 Department Of Idiocy, and in no way reflects the views of the management, it's parent or subsidiary corporations.
:)

Blaze
02-04-2011, 01:16 AM
People,
~`~ responded when WE began to report the ~`~.
Now, we need to address the ~`~.
~`~ is pilfered with corrupt ~`~.
Take a moment to report abuse when you see it.
Be is against Unbeliever, Jew, Christian, or Muslim.

Press the report comment icon and state:

I am ------. The ~'~ is stating blatant lies about ---. That is harassment.

Please share this message. Cut and paste across ~'~.

fifth element
02-04-2011, 01:22 AM
you feeling ok, Blaze?

ace diamond
02-04-2011, 01:47 AM
hr69, i grew up in a town called chino, california.
i do not know if you are familiar with it.
in out town we have one of the most infamous, and oldest prison in america still in use today.
california state correctional institution for men.
translation, Chino State Prison.
there is no shortage of kids i grew up with that had family doing time there.
my own grandfather did time there.
when my dad first met him, he was doing time there for grand larceny.
chino police dept. has a scared straight program.
at least, as far as i know, they did 20 years ago.
my old man once enrolled me in it.
when we went into the prison, they even showed me my grandfather's cell.
him and my uncle, his own son, were both in it.
so nice to see grandpa lee and uncle larry spending so much quality time together.
:rolleyes:
that made an extremely strong impression on me.
so much so, that a few years later, in 1994, i became a police explorer for the ontario, california police dept.
obviously i discovered that being a cop was not for me, but it was also very insightful, and i strongly recommend it for any kid.
i learned a lot during that experience, and it gave me an even greater amount of respect for police.
i've done a few civilian ride alongs in the years since then, and that is also something i strongly recommend for any adult.
very eye opening.

Hardrock69
02-04-2011, 02:08 AM
I also was in the Sheriff's Reserve Cadet Division when I was about 14. Same uniform and gear as a deputy. Just not allowed to carry a gun. Our gig was to provide security at high-school sporting events.

One night I decided not to go to one we were assisting at. Next meeting the seargent asked a corporal to get up and tell the rest of us what happened. He stood up and sorta laughed and said:

"Uh yeah....we haid a run-in with a buncha longhairs huhuhuhuhuhuh....".

Everyone else cracked up.

I left that evening and never went back. If they felt that way about 'longhairs', what were they going to think about black people, Mexicans, Chinese, etc.?

I was beginning to get interested in rock music anyway, and wanted to be a longhair more than I wanted to be a cop.

I almost was an MP in the army as well, but it did not happen. Long story.

Too bad you had to see your grandpa and uncle in a prison cell.

Like I said, programs for youth offenders like that are a good thing.

Blaze
02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Fith Element,

I have been better, all praise to God. I was disappointed this morning when my bread did not rise as well as I hoped. Nonetheless, Praise, I did learn that when a person sends baking goods use those baking goods in that person’s return package.
In addition is it a rainy day and I had hoped for a pretty day. I wanted to hand deliver some invitations. God willing, later this afternoon or tomorrow the sun will peek out. I do so like sunshine right after a heavy rain.

Nevertheless, generally the delights for the day are numerable. I tried an new sweetener for my coffee, molasses. I was told that molasses is healthful and adds a depth to coffee. This is true. Also, I had gotten some cut tulips for my pondering place and they opened so beautifully. I learned that tulips are edible. I have concluded that the flower bunches sold in grocery stores should be of food grade. I think if they were the company would see a spike in sales. Who would not like to eat a salad with delightful flowers in it? Flowers should not be limited to being candied or as a dried spice like lavender. I would like my lavender fresh thank you very much. 

Thank you for asking if I am OK.

Are you OK, Fifth Element?

I noticed you seemed sensitive to inane relationship talk. Generally, when a female does not want to chatter light heartedly about relationship, there is something afoot. I do hope this note find you well and among good spirits. I had taken that quote I place on your wall and I twisted into a play on the “love is…” from a black male on another board. I completed the sentence with, “motherhood”. Lol.

Let us return this thread to Hardrock’s topic at hand and away from my and your well-being.

These scared straight programs tear me. I am a strong advocate of imprisonment as punishment reform. I see as an opportunity for ethical training, something many might not have gotten at home or by naseeb means.

When managing a captured population, there are ethical standards beyond what we (USA) and many other prisons across the world pratice.

Prisoners must be guarded and not ill-treated

Prisoners must be fed in a dignified manner. (A well-appointed meal and attainment of dignified eating is a quick way to reform. All living things respond to food and aids in the ethical training.)

Not separate prisoners from their relatives (I feel this is important for positive influence of a reformed prisoner.)

There should be many ways to collect one’s custody back. This aids in ethical reform.

There are three objectives of the penal system

First, the protection of society from the dangers of crime

Second, the reform of the criminal

Third, the Punishment is a recompense for the crime.

Reforming the criminal achieves the objective of protection of society from the dangers of crime.

There are certain crimes that a large recompense to society is expected and required. Which and what sort of crimes require a large recompense to society is a different, but connected, discourse.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-04-2011, 11:28 AM
some of blazes' posts will scare ya straight.:umm:

Jagermeister
02-04-2011, 11:31 AM
some of blazes' posts will scare ya straight.:umm:

:umm: yeah

PETE'S BROTHER
02-04-2011, 11:33 AM
straighter....

PETE'S BROTHER
02-04-2011, 11:33 AM
george straighter?......

Mr Walker
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I've been watching Beyond Scared Straight
IMO, these inmates appear to be coddling these brats too much.
Apart from some of those scary bitches in the first episode... no one is really putting the fear of God into these punks.
They all seem to walk them to the edge then pull them back with hugs and positive vibes.
Fuck that! Throw these little shitheads into the fire and let them burn a little and then maybe... just maybe they will stay away from the flames.

fifth element
02-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Fith Element,

I noticed you seemed sensitive to inane relationship talk. Generally, when a female does not want to chatter light heartedly about relationship, there is something afoot. I do hope this note find you well and among good spirits. I had taken that quote I place on your wall and I twisted into a play on the “love is…” from a black male on another board. I completed the sentence with, “motherhood”. Lol.

something afoot?

perhaps I found the comment offensive?
inane?
puzzling, since you and I have never exchanged 2 words before?

Or perhaps I am simply a female who does not feel the need to "chatter light heartedly about relationship" with persons I do not know or care for.

take your pick.....any fit

Scared straight is right!!!!!

Hardrock69
02-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Personally I wish they would smack the shit out of those kids. But then they would be charged with more stuff like "Assault & Battery", etc.

Sure, the lifers don't care, they are in it for the rest of their daze, but I also bet they are not interested in having to deal with any more bullshit than they have to.

I dug the one episode where the teens are in chow line, and suddenly two of the inmates yank one of them out of line into a restroom so fast some of the others did not notice.

I agree they need to put more of a Fear Of God into these little bastards. But they do have to draw the line somewhere, so administrators and city leaders will even allow such a program to be implemented.

I say the programs they have in place are still way better than none at all.

ace diamond
02-06-2011, 12:48 AM
I also was in the Sheriff's Reserve Cadet Division when I was about 14. Same uniform and gear as a deputy. Just not allowed to carry a gun. Our gig was to provide security at high-school sporting events.

One night I decided not to go to one we were assisting at. Next meeting the seargent asked a corporal to get up and tell the rest of us what happened. He stood up and sorta laughed and said:

"Uh yeah....we haid a run-in with a buncha longhairs huhuhuhuhuhuh....".

Everyone else cracked up.

I left that evening and never went back. If they felt that way about 'longhairs', what were they going to think about black people, Mexicans, Chinese, etc.?

I was beginning to get interested in rock music anyway, and wanted to be a longhair more than I wanted to be a cop.

I almost was an MP in the army as well, but it did not happen. Long story.

Too bad you had to see your grandpa and uncle in a prison cell.

Like I said, programs for youth offenders like that are a good thing.

i had a similar thing happen.
there was a meeting in mid-june 1994 that i was at regarding some big independence day event at westsind park on riverside drive, just east of archibald, but it was to be held on my 17th birthday, july 2, 1994, and in the meeting the commander was going on about how we were supposed to
direct traffic, and to keep and eye out specifically for "drunk or high spooks, spicks, slant eyes, white trash rednecks, red injuns, or beaners so we can hassle and arrest them, even if we have to plant the shit on them".
in other words, unless they look like rich white folks, fuck with any one you want for any fucking reason you please.
i never went back, and i never showed up at the event.
i called in and told them i wasn't coming because it was my birthday.
fuck that shit. i don't want no part of it.
I'm glad i lived in chino at back then.

as for grandpa lee and uncle larry?
well, they were both guilty of their crimes, so they deserved to be there.

Fairwrning
02-07-2011, 06:01 PM
I've been watching Beyond Scared Straight
IMO, these inmates appear to be coddling these brats too much.
Apart from some of those scary bitches in the first episode... no one is really putting the fear of God into these punks.
They all seem to walk them to the edge then pull them back with hugs and positive vibes.
Fuck that! Throw these little shitheads into the fire and let them burn a little and then maybe... just maybe they will stay away from the flames.

Agree..but they know these inmates cant abuse them...yet..I got a kick out of the kid that told the joke to the inmate.
Whats the difference between a corvette and a blowjob?,,,,,Your mother didnt give me a corvette.
You could tell the kid didnt want to tell that joke but it was all he could think of

Hardrock69
02-08-2011, 12:33 AM
You mean I'm funny how?

DO I SOUND FUNNY? AM I HERE TO AMUSE YOU?

:lmao:

vh rides again
02-08-2011, 05:58 AM
I watched that show and I also was made to watch the original scared straight movie that was made back in 80-81 I believe. I watched it in a dorm room with 60 other kids at arrowhead boys reformatory.

what I dont like about this show is the fact that it is a show made for profit.

Those kids have no business being in there. The ones who should be in there are thier parents.

That show is blatent child abuse, everyone involved should be arrested.

Its no different than throwing a kid in a closet and scaring the shit out of them.

Lets hurt em some more.

ace diamond
02-08-2011, 01:16 PM
I watched that show and I also was made to watch the original scared straight movie that was made back in 80-81 I believe. I watched it in a dorm room with 60 other kids at arrowhead boys reformatory.

what I dont like about this show is the fact that it is a show made for profit.

Those kids have no business being in there. The ones who should be in there are thier parents.

That show is blatent child abuse, everyone involved should be arrested.

Its no different than throwing a kid in a closet and scaring the shit out of them.

Lets hurt em some more.

hey, i grew up just a few blocks away from "boys republic" reformatory.
boys republic is infamous because as a boy, late actor steve mcqueen was there.
the gymnasium that is still there to this day he spent part of his acting fortune to pay for so the boys would have a place for recreation...
the gym still has his name on it.
"steve mc queen memorial gymnasium" or something to that effect.......i've only ever seen it once......in person....i've been inside of it.......
my dad almost had me sent there back in the 80's.......my old man was sent to the "army/navy academy" in carlsbad, california.
he was in the same dorm room as mark mc clure.....who played "jimmy olsen" in the chris reeves superman movies, as well as supergirl,
and was the older brother "dave" to michael j. fox as "marty mc fly" in the back to the future movies.
heck, my old man was the fullback for the academy football team in the early 70's.
for those that don't know, the army-navy academy is a military reform school for boys.
somehow i managed to not wind up in reform school........but i did the scared straight thing at chino prison.........that was good enough for me!

kwame k
02-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Now if they would of had a scared skinny program:umm:

ace diamond
02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Now if they would of had a scared skinny program:umm:

dude, while i am not the least bit offended by this, some may find it really cruel.

kwame k
02-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Some may find it offensive that you share personal info....so when did you all of a sudden care about people's feelings.

ace diamond
02-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Some may find it offensive that you share personal info....so when did you all of a sudden care about people's feelings.

you really don't have room to talk.........

kwame k
02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
you really don't have room to talk.........

What personal info have I shared Rain Man.....

ace diamond
02-08-2011, 02:39 PM
What personal info have I shared Rain Man.....

i wasn't talking about personal info,shitheel..........
i was talking about you hurting others feelings with the insensitive weight jokes........
personally, it does not offend me. however, it will offend other board members here that are also over weight.
did you even think about that?
of course you didn't, because you're a selfish, arrogant prick.
way to go, shitheel!

kwame k
02-08-2011, 02:43 PM
:lmao:

Keep reaching........

PETE'S BROTHER
02-08-2011, 03:08 PM
i wasn't talking about personal info,shitheel..........
i was talking about you hurting others feelings with the insensitive weight jokes........
personally, it does not offend me. however, it will offend other board members here that are also over weight.
did you even think about that?
of course you didn't, because you're a selfish, arrogant prick.
way to go, shitheel!

ace, what if other board members have shitty heels? dried and cracked from the dry winter air. i'm sure they may have tried lotions and fungal aids, but maybe they just haven't solved the problem yet. ever think about that?

kwame k
02-08-2011, 03:09 PM
He has no sensitivity......:lmao:

Jagermeister
02-08-2011, 03:11 PM
ace, what if other board members have shitty heels? dried and cracked from the dry winter air. i'm sure they may have tried lotions and fungal aids, but maybe they just haven't solved the problem yet. ever think about that?

:umm: lol

vh rides again
02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
hey, i grew up just a few blocks away from "boys republic" reformatory.
boys republic is infamous because as a boy, late actor steve mcqueen was there.
the gymnasium that is still there to this day he spent part of his acting fortune to pay for so the boys would have a place for recreation...
the gym still has his name on it.
"steve mc queen memorial gymnasium" or something to that effect.......i've only ever seen it once......in person....i've been inside of it.......
my dad almost had me sent there back in the 80's.......my old man was sent to the "army/navy academy" in carlsbad, california.
he was in the same dorm room as mark mc clure.....who played "jimmy olsen" in the chris reeves superman movies, as well as supergirl,
and was the older brother "dave" to michael j. fox as "marty mc fly" in the back to the future movies.
heck, my old man was the fullback for the academy football team in the early 70's.
for those that don't know, the army-navy academy is a military reform school for boys.
somehow i managed to not wind up in reform school........but i did the scared straight thing at chino prison.........that was good enough for me!Yep I woke up one day and had 6 other guys on top of me in my bed they had a pair of white boxers and said put em on your goin with us.

I put up as much a fight as I could and ended up in a van headed to arrowhead ranch for boys where I stayed till I was 17. I was in jail and on my way to prison within a year after being released. I did 2 in pontiac then another 5 in statesville, never been back.

My first 24 hours in arrowhead ranch was spent scrubbing a gymnasium with a toothbrush.
My first 24 hours in pontiac was spent trying to find another white guy.

ace diamond
02-09-2011, 06:00 PM
He has no sensitivity......:lmao:

neither do you, buttnugget.......

Nitro Express
02-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I had a friend who was a police officer. Sometimes I would ride in the patrol car with him. One night a call came in to break up a bar fight. It turns out the brawl was at a gay club called The Pheonix.:biggrin:

Even better. I had another friend who was an ER nurse. One day a dude came in with a 16 ounce Dr. Pepper bottle shoved all the way up his ass. He had to have it surgically removed. When asked how it got there (ER people just have to ask this stuff to humiliate a guy who drove 50 miles from another city so not to risk humiliation in his home town), he said he was drinking a Dr. Pepper in the shower and slipped and the bottle went up his ass. Of course nobody believed him and the joke was the dude's gay lover got mad at him.:biggrin:

ace diamond
02-09-2011, 06:24 PM
goddamn syntax error crap.........

PETE'S BROTHER
02-09-2011, 06:27 PM
shoes is amazing.....

ace diamond
02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
i spent a 12 years locked up in various group homes from 1985 when i was 7 on jan 19, 1985(ucla medical center-ward 6 west, the sycamores boys home in
alta dena-right next door to nasa JPL, hillview acres christian childres home in chino-just a few blocks from boys republic, tro-ra boys home-in chino...nowadays it's called new dawn,, fontana gardens-in fontana, arrowhead manor-in san bernardino-this one no longer exists-,
and a couple other places privately run that didn't really have a name) until i was 20 in feb. 1, 1998 when i became my own ssi payee......
i'll tell you this.....at ucla i spent a lot of time in the seclusion room......i went awol from the sycamores a lot, my first day there, in rowland cottage,
no sooner was my dad gone out of the drive way than some mean assed 400 pound whale of a black lady named althea, slams me to the ground and power bombs her 400 pound ass on my chest and sits on me for nearly an hour.........i eventually got that fucking bitch fired.....took some time and some doing.........i broke into the medication closet, because i had stolen the key.....stole a ton of the other kids psych meds,
the coffe pot goes off before she gets up in the morning.....so i drugged her coffee with tons of thorazine, ritalin, melarill, lithium,etc.......now, althea had been accused of stealing by other kids before.......so anyway, i also mixed in plenty of sugar......because she always did, to cover the taste of the drugs........she woke up around 6:30, shift change was around 9am......anyways, i put the keys, empty medicine bottles in her purse,
then i made the medicine closet look like she had ransacked it, then went back to bed and pretended to be asleep.......
so when shift change showed up, they found althea with a ransacked office, keys and stolen drug bottles in her purse....an empty coffee pot,
and althea drooling on herself unable to speak like a fucking zombie.........and i never saw her again........good riddance to that fucking bitch!

i did go to a kind of reform school........advocate school......1 in grand terrace, 1 in riverside, and 1 in san bernardino......only the advocate school in grand terrace is still open.
jamie paqlin and christopher cross burned down the one in riverside in 1991, and the 1 in san bernardino was closed.
the building is still there on waterman ave. in san bernardino, and is still vacant.
the building in riverside, on jackson st. near california st, is now rebuilt and is a church of some kind.
i hear chris and jamie are due to be paroled in 2016........