PDA

View Full Version : Slash would consider rejoining GNR if Axl apologizes

Little Texan
02-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Link (http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2011/02/04/17156616-wenn-story.html)

Guns N' Roses reunion possible

By WENN.COM

Last Updated: February 4, 2011 2:56pm

Guitar legend Slash has laid down the ground rules to a Guns N’ Roses reunion but insists his former bandmate Axl Rose will have to make the first move and apologize.

Slash and Duff McKagan quit the group in the 1990s after falling out with Rose, and they went on to form their own band, Velvet Revolver.

Bassist McKagan recently made amends with the singer and joined him onstage in London in October, but Slash has yet to reconcile with Rose.

And he insists a reunion featuring the original Guns N' Roses line-up will never happen unless Rose approached him first.

Slash says, "That would be a call I would be surprised to get. If that really happened, I would have to clean out my junk drawer, too, but I don't see it happening. But, if it did happen, I would do whatever it takes to at least have a conversation about it."

Va Beach VH Fan
02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
That would be a fantastic reunion, right up there with a completely reunited Van Halen....

Little Texan
02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
There was a time when us VH fans thought it impossible that Dave would be back in the band, so anything is possible, although I really don't see Axhole, with his huge, overinflated ego calling Slash to apologize.

hambon4lif
02-06-2011, 05:16 PM
It's definitely going to happen sooner or later. It will get to a point in both Slash's and Axl's careers where their people will convince them that it would be a really good idea to put it back together (and I got fifty bucks that says the strongest convincing will come from their accountants).

It's just a question of "when?".

Seshmeister
02-06-2011, 07:40 PM
If there was a reunion I think there would be a lot more younger people in the crowd than you get at a Van Halen show.

I'm not sure if I would go myself. The thought of paying all that money to then stand about for an hour or two waiting on that little prick honoring me with his presence is probably too much to take.

Terry
02-06-2011, 07:56 PM
I agree with hambon that a GnR reunion is probably inevitable.
I also agree with Sesh that I'd have serious reservations about going, because Axl live has proven over the last 20 years to be an unreliable proposition.
Why should I pony up big money to see them when there's a strong chance Rose will get all pissy three songs in and decide he ain't gonna finish the show?
Also, at the very least Izzy has to return to the fold, if not both Izzy and Adler.
If it's just gonna be Rose, Duff and Slash....mmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhnotsomuch.

Hardrock69
02-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Even disregarding Axl and Slash's separate careers, promoters, their agents, anyone who could make a fortune from a reunion is going to want it to happen ANYWAY. Even if their separate careers are hugely successful, people will still want it.

ANY event that can make people a pile of money is something those people will really want, lol.

Seshmeister
02-06-2011, 08:09 PM
I agree with hambon that a GnR reunion is probably inevitable.
I also agree with Sesh that I'd have serious reservations about going, because Axl live has proven over the last 20 years to be an unreliable proposition.
Why should I pony up big money to see them when there's a strong chance Rose will get all pissy three songs in and decide he ain't gonna finish the show?
Also, at the very least Izzy has to return to the fold, if not both Izzy and Adler.
If it's just gonna be Rose, Duff and Slash....mmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhnotsomuch.

Also I would want a rock n roll band not the UYI thing of 15 assorted backing singers and musicians on stage

POJO_Risin
02-06-2011, 11:00 PM
In all honesty...I'd rather pay to watch the two fucking beat the shit out of each other...

I would say Slash has it hands down against the roly-poly fucking Axl...but...

I'm not sure Slash can see through his hair...

As per a reunion...I'd go...but my expectations are that it would be sub-standard...

Still...it would be Guns and Fucking Roses!!!!

VanHalener
02-06-2011, 11:20 PM
That would be a fantastic reunion, right up there with a completely reunited Van Halen....

I agree, but His Royal Douche Nozzle is as likely to accept Slash's proposal as Sped would be if MIA would publicly call for a truce.

~Fargin Bastages~

VanHalener
02-06-2011, 11:32 PM
I just sent the following message to every QTip distributor in America...

"Please send entire supply of QTips to His Royal Douche Nozzle. Charge it to my card #%*¥<£:)^#=_•$ and have the note say (Hope you get the sand out of your vagina)"

sadaist
02-07-2011, 12:37 AM
It's amazing what a shit load of dollar $igns can make you do. GnR was great, for 1 album. Absolutely the most overrated band in all of history. And even that 1 great album is extremely overrated. yeah it's really good...but not the best rock album ever. (Or even top 3)

But yes. A reunion would be huge.

I have zero interest in ever seeing anything with Axl in it again. I saw them headline San Diego Sports Arena. Supposed to come on at 9:15. Was after midnight when they finally popped out. Also saw them at the stadium show with Metallica. Metallica opened that night and were great. Axl of course came out 2 hours late. And I saw them at the infamous show at the LA Coliseum opening for the Rolling Stones where Axl had his famous rant.

3 shows, 3 disappointments, 3 times waiting forever for them to decide to grace the people paying them to be there with their presence. And 1 of those was cut extremely short due to Axl, and 1 was cut about 30 minutes short. Only 1 went a full set.

Someone really needs to smash Axls face in. He'll never get another red cent from me.

Blaze
02-07-2011, 01:48 AM
I do not know what the annoyance is about between these two, for all I know they planned it years ago for a bank roll when older.
However, to get Ax (or anyone) to the "willing" chair, a justification or face-saving option needs to be on the board.

For example,
Axle you assaulted Slash, but you did it because you were troubled by the corruption around you, not because Slash was in any position to fix it and chose not to fix it. It was wrong that Slash threw up his hands, but his sin is not your guilt.

This is understandable you got angry, a lot of people get angry when feeling trapped.

For you to take the high road and noble well-being, you should come clean explain the situation and acknowledge your part and present recompense to Slash's spiritual well-being. Slash will need to address his own misdeeds, your testament of hindsight will help Slash address the concern as a whole.
:)

ace diamond
02-07-2011, 01:50 AM
It's amazing what a shit load of dollar $igns can make you do. GnR was great, for 1 album. Absolutely the most overrated band in all of history. And even that 1 great album is extremely overrated. yeah it's really good...but not the best rock album ever. (Or even top 3)

But yes. A reunion would be huge.

I have zero interest in ever seeing anything with Axl in it again. I saw them headline San Diego Sports Arena. Supposed to come on at 9:15. Was after midnight when they finally popped out. Also saw them at the stadium show with Metallica. Metallica opened that night and were great. Axl of course came out 2 hours late. And I saw them at the infamous show at the LA Coliseum opening for the Rolling Stones where Axl had his famous rant.

3 shows, 3 disappointments, 3 times waiting forever for them to decide to grace the people paying them to be there with their presence. And 1 of those was cut extremely short due to Axl, and 1 was cut about 30 minutes short. Only 1 went a full set.

Someone really needs to smash Axls face in. He'll never get another red cent from me.
vince neil has been wanting to kick his ass for 20 fucking years......remember the mtv challenge?
vince still says the offer is valid.
axl has yet to bother to respond.

Mr Badguy
02-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Don't forget that, apart from very rare exceptions, reunions are all about a bunch of fat, past-their-prime rock stars with little left to offer, whoring themselves around the globe for a retirement fund.

While not totally creatively bankrupt, Slash and Axl both probably realize that more fervour and ticket sales will be generated with them both in GnR.

The other members would just be the icing on the cake.

The bodies will be there but the attitude won't.

ELVIS
02-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Count me out...

:biggrin:

binnie
02-07-2011, 10:29 AM
It will never happen. There's so much bad blood there that at least three of five would have to be in financial dire straits to make the effort of patching things up. I just can't see that ever happening whilst their back catalogue still flies off the shelves.....

FORD
02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
After Slash's participation in that halftime shitfest yesterday, I'd guess that any chances of Axhole making that phone call were just cut in half. Or worse.

Nitro Express
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
The only thing more lame than the Super Bowl halftime show is people getting hyped to watch some stupid ads. As soon as the 2nd Quarter is over it's time to take a long piss, eat very slowly, maybe get a blowjob, smoke something, have some ice cream and take your time getting back for the 3rd Quarter.

78/84 guy
02-07-2011, 06:33 PM
They did 2 show in Mn in early 92 I think, right after Izzy left. They were awesome !! I guess I got lucky. I was sitting down low on Slash's side of the stage were you could hear his Amp and Monitors. Great tone, great player !! Axhole can fuck off !!! He looks like shit anyways. That joke of a band he is trying to pawn off as G'N R is pathetic !! Adlers band is fucking better that that shit. I'll pass on the show and pick up a HD dvd if they do it and put one out. Whoever mixed the Japan show's they put out in 93 should be ashamed of it !! The mix on it is horrible. Axhole puked his voice on the 93/94 Metallica run. They were on the road for 3 years at that point. Appetite is classic and a few tunes one the double album were cool. If you strip all they bullshit sound effects and crap from those cds they would be easier to listen too.

GreenBayLA
02-08-2011, 05:21 AM
I saw thread title and read it as Slash would consider rejoining GNR if Axl quits :biggrin:

I would be down with GnR reunion but I think Axl is.

sonrisa salvaje
02-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Eh...saw them in 87 opening for the Crue. Though only about a 30-40 minute set it was enough to hear about the whole album and they were in their heyday. Never another reason, imo, to go see them. If i went to see them on a reunion tour at some point in the future i would be faced with the following concerns:

1. Will i be subjected to November Rain?
2. Will i be subjected to the Terminator film clunker?
3. Will i have to hear anything off of Chinese Democracy?
4. Will Axle wear a kilt?

Thanks but no thanks.

Terry
02-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Eh...saw them in 87 opening for the Crue. Though only about a 30-40 minute set it was enough to hear about the whole album and they were in their heyday. Never another reason, imo, to go see them. If i went to see them on a reunion tour at some point in the future i would be faced with the following concerns:

1. Will i be subjected to November Rain?
2. Will i be subjected to the Terminator film clunker?
3. Will i have to hear anything off of Chinese Democracy?
4. Will Axle wear a kilt?

Thanks but no thanks.

Kinda ties in to what Mr Badguy said, in that most reunions suck balls and are never as good as the first time around. You are 100% right. G n R's heyday WAS in the late 1980s. The UYI albums and tour may have been bigger commercially, but the band got too bloated and wrapped up in their Appetite success.

Why bother seeing a bunch of aging rockstars decades past their prime try to rekindle the old magic? It's never as good as the salad days (case in point - Van Halen).

Prothro
02-08-2011, 10:48 PM
I saw GNR open for Motley Crue in 1987. My first rock concert. I was instantly hooked , went out the next day and bought the Appetite cassette tape.
I never could get into the Axl Rose traveling side show that he was pushing off as GNR. I always though damn why can't he just start another band and and stop holding onto
the GNR name. As for me buying a ticket to a GNR reunion , I put that in the maybe maybe not range. I don't want to see a band come on 2 hours late or see a guy run off stage pissed off only 2 songs in.

sonrisa salvaje
02-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Kinda ties in to what Mr Badguy said, in that most reunions suck balls and are never as good as the first time around. You are 100% right. G n R's heyday WAS in the late 1980s. The UYI albums and tour may have been bigger commercially, but the band got too bloated and wrapped up in their Appetite success.

Why bother seeing a bunch of aging rockstars decades past their prime try to rekindle the old magic? It's never as good as the salad days (case in point - Van Halen).

No doubt. When i saw them in 87 they were hungry. Welcome to the Jungle had been out on MTV for about a month and they had probably sold a few records but for the most part the crowd didn't know who they were. I already had their tape and thought them to have some potential. When i left that night i was really happy about seeing them. By the time the Use Your Confusion records came out i was almost ashamed that i had seen them. What a difference a few years can make. Point being, when you see a band before they are somebody and they are still working for it, you are probably seeing them at their best. I can only imagine what it must have been like to go see Van Halen opening for Black Sabbath before they had commercial success. I bet their raw energy was ungodly.

sadaist
02-09-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't want to see a band come on 2 hours late or see a guy run off stage pissed off only 2 songs in.

And there it is right there. I'm sure the show would be good enough and I'd enjoy a lot of the songs. But I've seen to many get burned by Axl and been burned myself. I ain't playing with that fire again. Especially now that tickets to shows like these are well over $150 a pop.

Prothro
02-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Sadaist - yeah thats true $150.00 or more a ticket I would guesstimate. Too much to put down on a show that might get cancelled at the last minute or two songs in.
I just checked my ticket stubb from 1987 and it was $17.50
Also think of all the musicians that have been in the Axl Rose GNR over the past 15 years , shit it's been alot of them . Hmmm I wonder what the problem is.
I've always wondered why BUckethead got out of the band.

ace diamond
02-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Sadaist - yeah thats true $150.00 or more a ticket I would guesstimate. Too much to put down on a show that might get cancelled at the last minute or two songs in.
Also think of all the musicians that have been in the Axl Rose GNR over the past 15 years , shit it's been alot of them . Hmmm I wonder what the problem is.

same reason slash, duff, izzy, gilby clarke, matt sorum, robin fink, steven adler etc...are not in the band anymore......

AXEHOLE THE TERRIBLE
TEMPER TANTRUM THROWING TYRANT!!!

Kristy
02-09-2011, 11:02 PM
...but the band got too bloated and wrapped up in their Appetite success.

Bloated being the key word. GNR may have been before my day but even if they were I would have no desire to see them play live if such a credible reunion was to take place. They be just another Eagles or Police reunion where only certain songs are played for cheap audience response. Condensation replaces respect for the fans, eh? Of course, you can count on ticket prices, merchandising, DVD's, the obligatory 'live album' to be just as bloated (if not more) than the band itself.

And there is no guarantee of Axl's emotional stability, Slash's percentage of profits and other super ego factors lying in the path of a catastrophic failure. Too much uncertainty and insecurity for a reunion to be successful based upon past history.

Blaze
02-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Because Bucket wanted to suck it. :biggrin:

Blaze
02-10-2011, 01:48 AM
No doubt. When i saw them in 87 they were hungry. Welcome to the Jungle had been out on MTV for about a month and they had probably sold a few records but for the most part the crowd didn't know who they were. I already had their tape and thought them to have some potential. When i left that night i was really happy about seeing them. By the time the Use Your Confusion records came out i was almost ashamed that i had seen them. What a difference a few years can make. Point being, when you see a band before they are somebody and they are still working for it, you are probably seeing them at their best. I can only imagine what it must have been like to go see Van Halen opening for Black Sabbath before they had commercial success. I bet their raw energy was ungodly.

Great Philosophy! It is always best to keep the slaves hungry. All slaves falter once they are on sure ground. And of course, all somebodies are better when they are nobodies.
Oh and of course once something has left beta it is worthless.

Oh, and the best, of course working because one has to always makes for better results.

Work like you do not need the money.
Love like you have never been hurt.
Dance like no one is looking.

ace diamond
02-10-2011, 02:17 AM
a purely prolitariate point of view, blaze?

sonrisa salvaje
02-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Great Philosophy! It is always best to keep the slaves hungry. All slaves falter once they are on sure ground. And of course, all somebodies are better when they are nobodies.
Oh and of course once something has left beta it is worthless.

Oh, and the best, of course working because one has to always makes for better results.

Wow. I said all that? When you get right down to it, i do believe this to be the case with GNR. Not across the board.
I think likening this to slavery is a bit dramatic.

ThrillsNSpills
02-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Why would anyone plunk down the funds for GnR if Axl might show up?

is Paradise City that compelling?

Unchainme
02-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Heres the thing Slash, BUCK THE FUCK UP.

I know for a fact if I were in your shoes right now, and being offered millions upon millions of dollars to play in a reunited GN'R, I wouldn't even give it a 2nd thought.

Quit with this stupid ass pop ins with Fergie and the half-ass Velvet Revolver, and just get it over with.

reunite, retire and then go on Conan from there on out. As simple as that.

Seshmeister
02-13-2011, 02:26 PM
You may feel differently if you were a multi millionaire and had spent a lot of time with Axl.

vh rides again
02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Im going to see slash and ozzy tomorrow night.

ThrillsNSpills
02-13-2011, 03:47 PM

stringfelowhawk
02-15-2011, 10:59 PM
I don't think Hell is ready for a Zamboni yet!