PDA

View Full Version : Facebook - The Sex Trade Of The Internet

Kristy
02-08-2011, 06:37 AM
"A study of prostitutes in New York has found that an overwhelming majority are turning to social networking site Facebook to advertise their services...83 percent have a Facebook page, and I estimate that by the end of 2011, Facebook will be the leading on-line recruitment space...Today they can control their image, set their prices, and sidestep some of the pimps, madams, and other intermediaries who once took a share of the revenue."

Poorly written but I knew Facebook had to be up to something.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354642/Sex-city-Study-finds-prostitutes-New-York-using-Facebook-advertise-services.html

BigBadBrian
02-08-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm not surprised.

Even major companies and retailers mention their Facebook presence in their ads these days.

hambon4lif
02-08-2011, 07:25 AM
When they couldn't whore themself out on Craigslist anymore, you just new they'd end up somewhere else.......

hambon4lif
02-08-2011, 07:38 AM
.....and besides, if you were well-practiced in the art of fellatio, what better place to advertise your cocksucking skills than on a place called FACEbook?

Think about it.....

binnie
02-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Well, it looks like the actual whores have joined company with the attention whores.....

ELVIS
02-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Let 'em eat cake...

Hardrock69
02-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Just like musicians can now do with the major labels, the whores can cut their pimps out of the picture.

Seshmeister
02-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Everything you ever needed to know but were too afraid to Google...

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/01/ff_sextrade/all/1

Nitro Express
02-08-2011, 10:51 AM
The problem though with the internet is if your customers can find you so can the authorities and not only that, they have proof. The internet works both ways. I have a friend who works for the FBI and they love Facebook and the internet. Do you know how many people they bust because of it? They can't believe what people expose on the internet. In the old days they used to have to put field agents on a case and there never were enough of them and it was expensive. Now they can use computer centers and that is where my friend works and what they are doing.

It's a lot more secure to run a health food and yoga center where massages are offered. Then you get the good stuff when you opt for the full treatment.:biggrin:

Kristy
02-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Well, it looks like the actual whores have joined company with the attention whores.....

I'm going to steal that from you.

sadaist
02-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Shit like this and Best Buy having a Facebook page will bring the death of the site. It wasn't intended for hookers, companies, stereo stores, car dealerships, rock bands, etc... It was supposed to be regular people staying connected & connecting with new people. As it gets abused, it will lose the regular people putting up their pages. And the regular people that stay will get hidden by paid placements and search results.

Soon you will search for "Mike Smith" and 100 results will come up for microphones, The Smiths, Smith BMW & Audi, Mikes Hard Lemonade, etc... and the 1 guy you were looking for will be on page 10 listed at #100. Lost in the shuffle.

Watch for something new to come and take it's place...until it gets ruined too.

Seshmeister
02-08-2011, 11:47 AM
It was 'supposed' to make money and it does through advertising and by gathering up insane amounts of personal data and selling it.

kwame k
02-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Which is the norm on the internet now.......if you notice on FB, it takes the info from your profile to post advertising specific to your geographical location or key words that you have searched already.

Yahoo does a similar thing. Free message boards do the same thing. Key in on specific words or phrases and advertise accordingly. Some sites just use your ISP's location to key in on your area.

If anyone thinks they're surfing in anonymity, you're dead wrong.......it might be for nefarious reasons or more likely, like Sesh says, to try and make a buck off of you.

binnie
02-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm going to steal that from you.

The upsurge of prostitutes on Facebook also gives a whole new meaning to 'poking' someone.....

kwame k
02-08-2011, 12:15 PM
:lmao:

Kristy
02-08-2011, 12:29 PM
If anyone thinks they're surfing in anonymity, you're dead wrong.......it might be for nefarious reasons or more likely, like Sesh says, to try and make a buck off of you.

Target demographic advertising, social and reverse engineering, data gathering on age, race, gender, degree of education, net income - the list is nearly endless on why sites such as FaceCrook flourish is no accident. Somewhere, somebody is collecting information about you whether those means are nefarious or not to find a creative way of selling you shit you can't afford or want in the first place. It's like Videodrome has come to the internet.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/Apesapoppin88/brainwashed-america.gif

FORD
02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
It was 'supposed' to make money and it does through advertising and by gathering up insane amounts of personal data and selling it.

Which is probably the exact reason that Gold Mansacks just bought a big piece of it. And another reason why I'm not in any hurry to sign up.

Diamondjimi
02-08-2011, 12:35 PM
If someone is simply looking for sex, why not simply go HERE (http://www.fuckbook.com/) ?:sex:

Kristy
02-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Just replace the line "Hula-hoop" with FaceCrook and know there is always someone doing their best to scam you everywhere.

Nitro Express
02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Which is probably the exact reason that Gold Mansacks just bought a big piece of it. And another reason why I'm not in any hurry to sign up.

Gold Mansacks owns North America and Europe so why not Facebook? Honestly, just use email and if you really want to stroke yourself, set up your own website.

Nitro Express
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
My first job out of college was doing statistical analysis for a market research firm in Seattle. We wanted to know everything about you including your girlfriend's pubic hair count and how many sperm you shot. I found the experience very un-human and to be honest, wilth all these tools, 93% of all new products still fail. Predicting human nature isn't so easy and the more choices offered the harder it is to predict. I don't even know what I'm going to have for lunch today or exactly when I'm going to eat it.

Nitro Express
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM

I signed up a year ago and never used it. I constantly get email that so and so has posted to my wall and blah, blah, blah. I never respond. LOL! I haven't signed on in five months.

Seshmeister
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
It has it's uses but just try to treat everything you put there as though you stuck it in a newspaper advert.

Also probably best to try and sign up to as few apps as possible, who knows who these people are...

I think a lot of it comes down to how common a name you have. If your name happens to be John Smith then you are better protected than Engelbert Humperdinck.

Nitro Express
02-08-2011, 04:27 PM
My older sister had a stalker in college. He tried to kidnap her. Then she moved to London and went to school there and never saw the guy again. Until Facebook. She started getting phone calls from the loser after all these years in the middle of the night. Found out the guy was in maximum security prison in California and was let out. I guess he's back in prison in another state now.

Prothro
02-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Maybe Facebook will die off like Myspace did.
I hope not though, I've had a good time catching up with old friends on there. Some I haven't seen in over 20 years.
As for the prostitutes on there , just delete them.

ashstralia
02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
I think a lot of it comes down to how common a name you have. If your name happens to be John Smith then you are better protected than Engelbert Humperdinck.

so true sesh! googling my own name brings up over 14,000,000 results...:)

Hardrock69
02-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Ha.....Googling my own name brings up nothing but other people with my name, lol.

ashstralia
02-08-2011, 11:15 PM
but are there 14 million of 'em, lurch?:tongue0011:

Hardrock69
02-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Heh.....hardly. More like 1 or 2 really, not like my real name is John Smith, lol. You know there is an actual organization called something like the John Smith Society where the only requirement is that you have the legal name of John Smith.

Glad I am not named John Smith. :D

ashstralia
02-09-2011, 02:32 AM
well as it turns out, 43 years ago mum & dad pretty much ensured my web anonymity...:)

Seshmeister
02-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Yeah but going through school called Hotlesbian Action must have been tough.

ashstralia
02-09-2011, 06:26 AM
4 hours and that's all ya got? :)

Seshmeister
02-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Hey I just logged in. :)

ashstralia
02-09-2011, 06:49 AM
nicko. :)

fifth element
02-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Maybe Facebook will die off like Myspace did.
I hope not though, I've had a good time catching up with old friends on there. Some I haven't seen in over 20 years.
As for the prostitutes on there , just delete them.

yeah, it is a useful tool.
I am able to keepup w/ what my kids and sisters and neices/nephews are up to
just by logging on for 10 mins 2-3 times a week.