PDA

View Full Version : Republicans and Democrats revolt against Patriot Act extension.

Nitro Express
02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Lawmakers voted 277-148 to approve the extension, but the new GOP leadership had brought the measure to the floor under a special expedited process that required a two-thirds majority to pass. By that standard, the measure fell seven votes shorts.

More than two dozen Republicans, including a number of conservative freshmen members, joined with a large bloc of liberal Democrats in opposing the extension, which would have kept the anti-terror enforcement tools on the books through Dec. 8 as Congress debates a more extensive revision of the bill. Both liberal civil rights groups and conservative libertarians have attacked surveillance and law enforcement provisions of the bill as giving the government too much power.

Now we need to drive it into Bonehead's head that we aren't going to drive up more government debt. The Ompaloompa seems to have forgotten we don't want a bigger deficit. Want to save money? Get out of the middle east. Then we can debate where to spend all the military budget money on.

FORD
02-09-2011, 01:09 PM
So even the teabaggers hate the "patriot" act? Guess the Koch brothers forgot to send them a memo on that issue?

hambon4lif
02-09-2011, 01:29 PM
I have a strange feeling that Todds bubble-headed wife will twitter or twat everyone about how wrong it is for the American people to want any kind of privacy whatsoever....

She hasn't said anything mind-warpingly asinine for almost 6 days now, but she's pretty fucking consistent.

......any minute now.

kwame k
02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Liberals and Conservatives agreeing on something most sane Americans were opposed to and are opposed to........

Amazing...... and it's not even an election year.

Nitro Express
02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
It's got to be terrifying for the people who buy off politicians. They know the pattern. Buy off a Democrat and then they get out of them what they want but that pisses enough swing voters off to where they vote in a Republican next time and they get a little more. They can play this game if both sides are polarized but if they come together on some important issues, then you can't play that game.

Everyone wants affordable healthcare but where we differ is the strategy of doing that. If you buy off enough Democrats, then they just ram something through that the insurance companies themselves have written and it does just the opposite of what the average voter wanted. If you buy off enough Republicans they say weapons of mass destruction and fear monger to empower the government and it's military contractors more.

A true liberal really should be a person that wants as much freedom and less regulation as possible. It's like Howard Stern said that he couldn't believe the Democrat controlled FCC was into censoring people more than the religious right conservatives.

I mean it's pretty obvious both sides are selling us out to the big money and taking our freedoms away. The new blood and some of the old blood seem to be working across the isle to stop some of this shit. I hope it continues. We have gotten the shaft for too long.

Nitro Express
02-09-2011, 03:04 PM
So even the teabaggers hate the "patriot" act? Guess the Koch brothers forgot to send them a memo on that issue?

I've been trying to figure out who these tea baggers we hear about really are. The media talks about them all the time but I have yet to actually see one. I know some Democrats and I know some Republicans. I even know some Liberatarians and a John Bircher or two. I still looking for these tea baggers.

FORD
02-09-2011, 03:09 PM
A true liberal really should be a person that wants as much freedom and less regulation as possible.

A true liberal created regulations which kept this country safe from corporatist shitbags for half a century......

http://www.personal.psu.edu/t3b/Tom%27smediafolder/media%20SpCom%20597c%20spring%202002/FDR%20fireside%20chat%20March%201933.jpg

The BCE started tearing down those regulations in 1981. And the country's been going to Hell in a handbasket ever since. :(

Nitro Express
02-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Actually it was Democrat Bill Clinton who repealed The Glass Steagall Act and opened the doors to all the derivative speculating that created the depression the world is now in. But then Bill is pretty cozy with his buddies in the Bush family isn't he?

Nitro Express
02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
As far as regulations go, the big corporations get a free ride and don't pay taxes while the government is regulating us little guys to death. We are more awash in can't do this, can't do that, can't say that as ever. I find it very un rock and roll. Hell. It's worse than being in church and trying to follow all those rules. I hate this kind of shit. I'm ready to rebel.

BITEYOASS
02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I guess congress was trying to avoid a situation similar to the one in Egypt.

Nitro Express
02-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Congressman Boehner had to go to a meeting at the white house. He was out in the rose garden smoking down a cigarette because there was no smoking allowed in the conference room. Out of the oval office came president Obama who got a whiff of Boehner's cigarette smoke. He came up and asked to bum a smoke off of Boehner. Boehner said, your wife just announced you gave up smoking. Obama said yeah, but that was a lie just like everything else about me is a lie.