PDA

View Full Version : NY Congressman Resigns After Craigslist Hook-up Blunder

Nickdfresh
02-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Rep. Chris Lee resigns after reports of Craigslist flirtation
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/chris-lee-congress-craigslist.jpg
By David A. Fahrenthold and Aaron Blake
Washington Post Staff Writers (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/09/AR2011020906977.html?hpid=topnews)
Wednesday, February 9, 2011; 11:01 PM

Rep. Chris Lee of New York abruptly resigned Wednesday evening, hours after a gossip Web site reported that the married Republican had allegedly sent flirtatious e-mail messages and a shirtless photo of himself to a woman he met online.

Lee experienced his fall from grace in a single afternoon, undone at the speed of the digital age. At lunchtime Wednesday, he was an obscure but promising second-term congressman. Then, at 2:33 p.m., the Web site Gawker posted an alleged e-mail exchange between a man who used Lee's name - but identified himself as a divorced lobbyist - and an unidentified woman. Gawker reported that the two had met through the personals section of Craigslist.

After that, the familiar cycles of a Washington sex scandal were compressed into a blur of tweets and news alerts. There was confusion, a hint of denial, then a pledge from Lee to "work it out" with his wife.

By 6 p.m., a clerk was announcing Lee's resignation in the House chamber.

"I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents," Lee said in a statement. "I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness."

Lee's statement did not confirm or deny any specific allegations from the Gawker report.

Lee, 46, elected from a district in western New York, was just beginning his second term in Congress. He had been a successful businessman and was known as an up-and-coming Republican voice on financial issues.

This term, he was given a coveted spot on the Ways and Means Committee, which writes tax laws. That was considered a quick rise for a new House member and a sign that he had backers in the GOP establishment.

"Clearly, that doesn't come without somebody loving you somewhere," New York Republican consultant Mike Collins said.

In New York, Lee was known for bringing his wife and young son to campaign events. He had a mostly conservative record during his time in Congress, though on a number of issues he broke with his party; he recently voted with Democrats on an overhaul of the nation's food-safety system and the Children's Health Insurance Program.

Republican consultant Jim Derderian, who worked with Lee on manufacturing and technology issues, said he had a rare talent for deconstructing complex subjects.

"It's a loss to Congress in that respect, because he showed an ability that not many have," Derderian said. "I think it's a shame that that type of perspective - combined with energy - is no longer at our disposal."

The Gawker report cited an account from a woman, whom the site did not name, who said she posted an ad last month on Craigslist's "women seeking men" forum. In the ad, she said she was looking for "financially & emotionally secure" men who don't "look like toads."

That same day, she allegedly received a response from a person who said his name was Christopher Lee, describing himself as a 39-year-old lobbyist, "a very fit fun classy guy. Live in Cap Hill area. 6ft 190lbs blond/blue."

In follow-up e-mails, the man allegedly attached photos - one of himself in a blue polo, the other shirtless. Both of the images bear a significant resemblance to Lee. In its posting, Gawker said the woman cut off the electronic conversation and contacted Gawker after she did an online search for Lee and "concluded he'd lied about his age and occupation."

Gawker said it had confirmed that the e-mail address used to send the messages belonged to Lee.

If the e-mails were sent by Lee, he created a scandal made for the Internet. The allegations were not conveyed in whispers or court affidavits, wrapped up in charges and countercharges. They were conveyed in a photograph of a man making a muscle in a mirror. Lee's problems spread as fast as it took to hit "Forward."

His office first responded, according to Gawker, by saying that the only things Lee had posted online had to do with selling old furniture, and suggesting that Lee's e-mail account had been hacked.

Then, later in the afternoon, a Fox News reporter caught Lee going to his car. "I have to work this out with my wife," he said.

Now, New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D) must call a special election to fill Lee's seat, which is expected to remain in Republican hands.

On Wednesday, the news moved so quickly that many people back in western New York heard about the resignation before they heard there was a scandal. It left Lee's constituents shocked and scrambling for choices to replace him.

"I think he's blossomed over the last two years," said Richard Yolevich (R), a county legislator in Monroe County. "He was a lot quieter at first. Now, he seems to know - or he seemed to know - what was going on."

"He's an absolute gentleman. I'm shocked. I'm disappointed," Yolevich said in a phone interview. "My wife's sitting right here. We're both disappointed."

fahrenthold@washpost.com blakea@washpost.com

Staff writer Felicia Sonmez contributed to this report.

FORD
02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Gotta love that party of "family values".

I wonder if FAUX noize has shown him with a "D" next to his name yet, like they always do with the Repuke scandals? :biggrin:

ace diamond
02-09-2011, 11:56 PM

I wonder if FAUX noize has shown him with a "D" next to his name yet, like they always do with the Repuke scandals? :biggrin:

well, ford, after all, I am a member of the grand old party.
so this sort of shit is fairly common.
look for the rnc chairman, and speaker bonehead to disown the guy here very shortly.
this is really bad and damaging stuff considering that next year there is a presidential election......
this could really fuck things up.......

FORD
02-10-2011, 01:47 AM
I guess the new RNC guy could use some press, so he might do some face time on FAUX. Boner will just cry about it. (He's got his own sex scandal going anyway)

ace diamond
02-10-2011, 03:47 AM
I guess the new RNC guy could use some press, so he might do some face time on FAUX. Boner will just cry about it. (He's got his own sex scandal going anyway)
you are probably right about that.

BigBadBrian
02-10-2011, 06:49 AM

You're just mad he's not gay and didn't send his pic to you. :lmao:

Anyway, this guy did the right thing and resigned.

I wonder when that piece of shit crook Charlie Rangel is going to do the right thing and resign. FORD, shouldn't he resign? Or better yet, be in jail?

BigBadBrian
02-10-2011, 06:52 AM
(He's got his own sex scandal going anyway)

Don't count on that one. He read all the R's the riot act about no tolerance for ANY type of scandal so I doubt there is anything to that. Personally, I would rather see Cantor or Ryan in his place anyway.

ELVIS
02-10-2011, 09:42 AM
What an idiot...

Nitro Express
02-10-2011, 11:18 AM

Bonehead Ompaloompa would go off like Jimmy Swaggart. :biggrin:

SunisinuS
02-11-2011, 11:41 AM
• The number of sex scandals has increased dramatically over the past few decades, thanks to technology, new press standards and a post-Clinton belief that everything is fair game.

• Republicans have more scandals (34 to 27), but Democrats have bigger ones, based on our methodology (13 out of the top 20).

• Democrats tend to have more problems with harassment, staffers and underage girls; Republicans tend to have more problems with prostitutes, hypocrisy and underage boys.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-03-30/which-party-has-more-sex-scandals/

Nickdfresh
02-12-2011, 09:44 PM
You're just mad he's not gay and didn't send his pic to you. :lmao:

Anyway, this guy did the right thing and resigned.

He resigned in record time, I'll give him that. And I'm not at all happy that this happened despite my reputation as a raving leftist here, I really wanted this guy to succeed. But that pick of him was soooooo fucking bad! It almost looked more like an Onion parody of a guy on Craigslist trying to get laid than an actual politician on Craigslist trying to get laid. I'm not so much morally offended as I'm offended by his complete lack of judgment and arrogance...

I wonder when that piece of shit crook Charlie Rangel is going to do the right thing and resign. FORD, shouldn't he resign? Or better yet, be in jail?

Nice deflection...

sadaist
02-12-2011, 09:58 PM
the woman cut off the electronic conversation and contacted Gawker after she did an online search for Lee and "concluded he'd lied about his age and occupation."

Online dating EVERYONE lies about something. Even in real life dating. So if she was upset with this, why didn't she just stop communication & move on? Oh yeah...PAYDAY!!!

Fucking greedy bitches...all of them.

sadaist
02-12-2011, 10:01 PM

Scandal? He didn't lie about it and resigned right away. It's not like he shoved a cigar in her snatch then spooged all over her dress while refusing to resign or admit to anything.

Hardrock69
02-13-2011, 12:10 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Bonehead Ompaloompa would go off like Jimmy Swaggart. :biggrin:

Blaze
05-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Online dating EVERYONE lies about something. Even in real life dating. So if she was upset with this, why didn't she just stop communication & move on? Oh yeah...PAYDAY!!!

Fucking greedy bitches...all of them.

She did the ethically right thing to do.

It is irrelevant if she chose to be a capitalist.

Such poor judgement and deceitfulness <- read as corruption, from a law maker (good grief, he did not even obscure his face) needs to be publicized.
However, he did the right thing by stating clearly he had screwed up. People sometimes make bad choices, for whatever reason. That was a stupid move he made.
I do not see where that would call for a resignation. There had to be other factors.

Nickdfresh
06-05-2011, 01:25 PM
For the hardcore political junkies here, the Buffalo News printed an interesting article on the race and how Hochul won and Corwin lost. Here's a link the the news article. (http://www.buffalonews.com/topics/chris-lee/special-election/article444391.ece)

Basically, Corwin was thought to be a poor candidate that was seen as "cold and distant" while Hochul connected with voters much more easily. From the article, one of the few actually touching, genuine moments in politics I've read about...

Response from little guy

Enraged by the Mallia incident -- and the noise Corwin aides made during that veterans event -- Bellavia went back on the campaign trail. He said he visited upward of 40 veterans posts in the last two weeks of the race.

"My job," Bellavia said, "was to remind thousands and thousands and thousands of veterans that Jane Corwin is not right for them."

As the campaign's days dwindled, Corwin restricted herself largely to GOP-friendly events. Davis focused mostly on small gatherings of longtime supporters.

But Hochul kept doing what she had been doing for two months: stopping at diners throughout the sprawling 26th District and talking about going to Washington to fight for the little guy.

The little guy responded. At one campaign stop, an old man handed Hochul at a $10 bill.

"I make $100 a week, but I want to give you this because we need you in Washington," he said.

Hochul tried to give the money back, but he refused -- so she took it and added it to the campaign office's growing collection of memorabilia.

"I'll never forget that guy," she said.