PDA

View Full Version : make your own coke

PETE'S BROTHER
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110215/ts_yblog_thelookout/did-nprs-this-american-life-discover-cokes-secret-formula

The recipe:
Fluid extract of Coca: 3 drams USP
Citric acid: 3 oz
Caffeine: 1 oz
Sugar: 30 (unclear quantity)
Water: 2.5 gal
Lime juice: 2 pints, 1 quart
Vanilla: 1 oz
Caramel: 1.5 oz or more for color
The secret 7X flavor (use 2 oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Alcohol: 8 oz
Orange oil: 20 drops
Lemon oil: 30 drops
Nutmeg oil: 10 drops
Coriander: 5 drops
Neroli: 10 drops
Cinnamon: 10 drops

chefcraig
02-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Next on the list:

The proper recipe for those cheesy biscuits at Red Lobster (no, simply adding cheddar cheese to Bisquick doesn't work)
The Colonel's special mix of 11 herbs and spices
Texas Wiener Sauce (for those from New Jersey)
Orange Julius directions (I'm pretty sure egg whites are used)

sadaist
02-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Was weird. Once I learned that it is basically a cinnamon/vanilla drink, if I really pay close attention I can taste it that way.

Little Texan
02-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Next on the list:

The proper recipe for those cheesy biscuits at Red Lobster (no, simply adding cheddar cheese to Bisquick doesn't work)
The Colonel's special mix of 11 herbs and spices
Texas Wiener Sauce (for those from New Jersey)
Orange Julius directions (I'm pretty sure egg whites are used)

Shit, I can whip up a batch of Texas Weiner Sauce. (Be right back, gotta go to the bathroom.) :biggrin:

chefcraig
02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Shit, I can whip you up a batch of Texas Weiner Sauce. (Be right back, gotta go to the bathroom.) :biggrin:

You aren't far off. I ran into a guy that opened a Texas Wiener shop here in South Florida sometime in the early nineties. It failed miserably, so he bought one of those little stands that you tow behind your car. I became a regular customer, and bugged the hell out of him for the recipe. To shut me up, he finally offered me one key ingredient, on the promise that I'd quit pestering him. I agreed, and he said the one item people would never guess is also kind of bizarre: chick peas. Yup, fucking garbanzo beans are essential for the consistency of the sauce, so apparently you smash the crap out of them to form a paste to form a sort of rue.

sadaist
02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Funny how they state they use the classic original formula in their advertising and product labeling, yet there is no sugar to be found. At least not in the US. Now if you ever get a chance to grab a Mexican Coke, you will notice a huge difference in yum factor. So delicious. They need to start back with the glass bottles and real sugar. Nothing better in the whole world than that.

Side note...just after high school I worked in the warehouse of Neiman Marcus for a few months. We had to go through a history seminar of the company and all received a copy of the founders book. Anyways, it starts out "Neiman Marcus was founded on the worlds most horrible business decision..." Apparently way back the guy had the chance to trade his company for a new drink company...Coca Cola.

Hardrock69
02-16-2011, 12:26 PM
8 Oz of ALCOHOL? What kind? Jim Beam? Jack Daniels?

But then, this is the original formula isn't it? Wait a minute....it is NOT the original formula as there is no cocaine in it.