PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Quake: "Dead Bodies Lying Around"

FORD
02-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Christchurch earthquake: 'Dead bodies lying around'
4:50 PM Tuesday Feb 22, 2011

Residents are reporting bodies lying in the streets of Christchurch following this afternoon's magnitude 6.3 earthquake.

Police said fatalities had been reported at several locations and that two buses had been crushed by falling buildings. Christchurch mayor Bob Parker has declared a state of emergency.

Christchurch resident Jaydn Katene told the Herald: "We've had friends in town call us and say there are just bodies lying around; lots of dead bodies outside shops just lying there just covered in bricks.

"When it hit we were knocked to our feet. Everything in the house fell down, nothing was left still standing. There's more damage than the first earthquake, the roads are completely torn up; sewage coming up and flooding. It's crazy."

"The elderly are all crying. The next-door neighbours around us were all bawling their eyes out, it was horrible. People can't get out of their houses," said Mr Katene.

"We've seen cars halfway sunken into the road. We've heard there's a bus which is sunken halfway into the road just around the corner.

"Buildings are half-collapsed everywhere.

"It smells horrible. The roads are packed with cars. There aren't enough police or ambulances. Houses are all collapsing. It's pretty shocking; a total warzone."

Aftershocks continue

GNS Science said today's 12.51pm quake was centred at Lyttelton at a depth of 5km.

It was followed by a 5.7 magnitude aftershock at 1.04pm at a depth of 6km, 10km south of Christchurch.

A magnitude 5.5 aftershock was recorded within five kilometres of Lyttelton - the town at the epicentre of a huge earthquake that hit Canterbury today.

The large aftershock was recorded at 2:50pm at a depth of 5km.

A magnitude 4.6 shock hit at 3.38pm, centred 10km east of Lyttelton. That was followed by another five minutes later, a 4.5 shake 10km south-west of Christchurch.

The third took place at 4.04pm and measured 4.6, within 5km of Christchurch, taking the total to 10 aftershocks since the 6.3 earthquake at 12.51pm.

Buses crushed, buildings collapse

Christchurch resident Jane Smith, who works in the central city, earlier told the Herald a work colleague had helped with rescue efforts after a building facade collapsed on a bus on Colombo St.

"There's people dead. He was pulling them out of a bus. Colombo St is completely munted," she said.

TV3 reports there are 24 people trapped on the 17th floor of the Forsyth Barr building who are being rescued

TV3 also reports that a person had died in the Christchurch suburb of Sumner and a body has been carried out of Christchurch's YHA hostel.

The broadcaster showed footage of people being rescued from the Pyne Guinness Gould building, where it is believed some 200 people have been trapped.

It said the Provincial Chambers Building had also collapsed and more people were likely also trapped there.

A listener told Newstalk ZB that the Piko Wholefoods building on Kilmore Street near the city centre, which was hit in the September 4 earthquake, was now "practically non-existent".

Herald reporter Jarrod Booker said Christchurch's historic cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament on Barbadoes Street had half collapsed, with the remaining part of the building filled with cracks.

The spire on the Christchurch Cathedral has also collapsed.

Christchurch resident Gary Moore told NZPA he and 19 other colleagues were trapped in Christchurch's Forsyth Barr building on Colombo Street.

Mr Moore said workers were stuck on the 12th floor as the stairwell had collapsed. He was not sure if people were trapped on other floors.

'Grave concerns' for Banks Peninsula

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker says he holds grave concerns for the safety of people in Banks Peninsula area following today's massive earthquake and aftershocks.

Christchurch is located immediately north of the peninsula.

"We still have yet to hear any reports in from Banks Peninsula and I'm very very concerned about that," he told Radio New Zealand.

"The centre of the earthquake was in Lyttelton Harbour. There are hills covered in rocks, those rocks would have come down."

Mr Parker said the damage to the city centre was immense and people were trapped in buildings.

"Everybody needs to understand that this is going to be a day of very black news," he said.

Canterbury would need help from the rest of the country.

"There is no doubt that we are going to have a significant number of homeless people in our city," he said.

The region had lost a lot of communication, and water was coming up through the streets from pipes.

He urged people to stay calm despite the extremely difficult circumstances.

Mr Parker said people were very frightened but they needed to keep the roads clear.

"Don't use the phones unless you have to, those phones are also our lifeline."

When the quake struck the mayor was knocked over.

"I looked out over the city once I got up and I could see clouds of dust from buildings collapsing. I could hear screams from streets."

Traffic gridlock

Jarrod Booker said queues of cars could be seen being shaken up and down when the latest aftershock hit.

Mr Booker said cars stuck in the city's gridlock were being rocked side to side and occupants could be heard screaming.

"Even sitting in a car you can feel continual shaking on a smaller scale than the original quake," he earlier said.

Emergency services have been struggling to access the central city and were having to manoeuvre slowly around gridlocked traffic.

Mr Booker said Tuam Street had become a river as water poured from ruptures in the road and was impassable in places.

The whole central city was in gridlock as people tried to evacuate central businesses to check their homes, he said.

Most traffic lights were out and cars were also having to negotiate around hordes of people on foot.

Some pedestrians were standing on the footpaths and staring into space, apparently in shock.

Mr Booker said the southern suburbs appeared to be particularly badly hit.

Liquefaction was forcing tarmac up in the middle of the road and water and sand were spewing out of chasms.

Civil Defence response

Police said all available staff were helping with the rescue operation and the Defence Force had been called in to assist.

Triage centres have been established for the injured at Latimer Square in the central city, Spotlight Mall in Sydenham and Sanitarium in Papanui.

Civil Defence Minister John Carter said all the South Island hospitals apart from Invercargill had been emptied to make way for earthquake victims.

Mr Carter and preparations had been made for a state of emergency to be declared.

He said the number of fatalities and the extent of the damage was still unclear.

Speaking to media at the Beehive's National Crisis Centre, Director of Civil Defence John Hamilton earlier said a response plan was now being put together using all available national resources.

"That includes extra fire people, extra police personnel, assets from the Defence Forces. International offers of assistance are coming through from Australia in particular."

Mr Hamilton said the earthquake was a level three crisis - the highest for a localised event.

Phone lines are down and calls are not being connected to emergency services. Telecom said it is working to understand which services have been affected by the earthquake and get these restored as soon as possible.

Temporary accommodation is being organised for those who have been displaced, with tents possibly to be erected in Hagley Park.

All but emergency flights into Christchurch Airport have been put on hold while it checks the state of its runway.

http://mt0.google.com/vt/data=CLbbaCGB30Ozh4TC5k9vw2u32vVkdoy13k9K_ByrTvPFt KkCcTZ6Gd_WZXP40frx9tmlv_mb09tvD1ti5pPxc5LNpqjsbgn iD0fw0wKtyLEifN-2CfSo91NkYL0q8mcDrblO8g

- Amelia Wade, NZ Herald staff, NZPA

ace diamond
02-22-2011, 12:53 AM
gee, i hope dan is ok in north shore......

ashstralia
02-22-2011, 02:52 AM
check these pics (http://www.news.com.au/world/christchurch-cathedral-before-and-after/story-e6frfl00-1226010081646)
:(

BigBadBrian
02-22-2011, 05:05 AM
A volcano blew it's top in the Philippines also. The Ring of Fire is active.

http://joeysalceda.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bulusan-volcano-eruption.jpg

Nitro Express
02-22-2011, 05:55 AM
It sounds like they had a lot of unreinforced or not reinforced enough masonry buildings. Those always come down and cause lot's of casualties. The safest buildings in earthquakes are wood framed buildings because the wood flexes and gives. Masonry has lot's of compression strength but sucks on sheer strength. Once that earthquake puts horizontal forces on those walls, it's over.

Kristy
02-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Don't forget the recent massive solar flare.

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/323/cache/biggest-solar-flare-4-years-2011-visual_32318_600x450.jpg

New Zealand of all places? You know something weird is going on - maybe the Mayans were right signs of end times all around us? Is it too late to join a cult?

As for the people of Christchruch, my heart goes out to them.

Seshmeister
02-22-2011, 09:55 AM
A volcano blew it's top in the Philippines also. The Ring of Fire is active.

Well you should watch what you eat then...

ELVIS
02-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Is it too late to join a cult?

No...

It wouldn't hurt to sit down and have a chat with a local pastor...

:elvis:

Kristy
02-22-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm Catholic and way, way, past my confessionals. Pastors are herders of gullible sheep.

Seshmeister
02-22-2011, 10:08 AM
No...

It wouldn't hurt to sit down and have a chat with a local pastor...

:elvis:

To try and knock some sense into him.

ELVIS
02-22-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm Catholic and way, way, past my confessionals. Pastors are herders of gullible sheep.

You're not catholic, you're hardheaded...

Nitro Express
02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Fuck the minister. Invest the money in some emergency supplies. It's never a bad idea to have some extra food and water, and a 72 hour emergency kit ready to go.

FORD
02-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Those pictures blew my mind. This was a 6.3 quake??

We had a 6.8 up here about 10 years ago, and the devastation didn't get anywhere close to that. :(

Nitro Express
02-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Those pictures blew my mind. This was a 6.3 quake??

We had a 6.8 up here about 10 years ago, and the devastation didn't get anywhere close to that. :(

I was thinking the same thing. The building code in Seattle requires a lot of rebar in the concrete and masonry walls. Since the whole west coast of the US is an earthquake zone, new buildings are built to a high standard and old ones are reinforced. Even in Mexico they put a lot of reinforcing in their new buildings.

The way those buildings went down in New Zealand you would have thought it was Pakistan and not New Zealand.

Nitro Express
02-22-2011, 03:00 PM
We live in a log home but it's reinforced for earthquakes. Where the roof beams and logs intersect there are big steel plates bolting them together so they can't pull apart. The walls are steel spiked every two feet.

Jagermeister
02-22-2011, 03:02 PM
We live in a log home but it's reinforced for earthquakes.

That's funny.:umm:

FORD
02-22-2011, 03:02 PM
We live in a log home but it's reinforced for earthquakes. Where the roof beams and logs intersect there are big steel plates bolting them together so they can't pull apart. The walls are steel spiked every two feet.

Of course in your case, if you have a major earthquake it will probably be when the Yellowstone super-volcano blows up, so that ain't gonna be much help.

chefcraig
02-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Of course in your case, if you have a major earthquake it will probably be when the Yellowstone super-volcano blows up, so that ain't gonna be much help.

http://i54.tinypic.com/28hip0n.jpg

Seshmeister
02-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Or if the big bad wolf comes to the door.

Wooden houses. The colonies can be so quaint sometimes. :)

Nitro Express
02-22-2011, 04:25 PM

They have had pretty big quakes around the Yellowstone area and it hasn't set the volcano off.

Nitro Express
02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/28hip0n.jpg

Same concept. Bigger logs.

Dan
02-22-2011, 06:13 PM
75 Dead so far,300 Missing.The place looks Like It has Been Hit By A Bomb.:(

Praying That They Find More people Alive.

I Have An Uncle,Aunty,Cousins And Friends That made it out Alive.

kwame k
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family.

ashstralia
02-22-2011, 06:21 PM

good to hear you and yours are ok, danny boy.

FORD
02-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Good to hear that your friends and family are doing OK Dan. How often do y'all get earthquakes down there?

chefcraig
02-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family.

good to hear you and yours are ok, danny boy.

What these guys said, +1.

ashstralia
02-22-2011, 06:44 PM
since he's not here atm.... ford, they had one in roughly the same area as recently as september. but it's epicentre was much further from civic areas.

FORD
02-22-2011, 06:55 PM
How about Oz? Any quakes there in recent memory?

Yeah I know the whole "Pacific ring of fire" thing, but it seems like most of that activity is more common in the northern half of the Pacific, like the west coast of the US, or eastern Asia. At this rate, looks like the southern half might be waking up.

Guitar Shark
02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
My parents were on vacation in NZ just two weeks after the September quake ash mentioned. They were told that there have been a number of significant earthquakes in NZ in the last 150 years, and that the two islands are sometimes called the "Shaky Isles." Don't know if that's true or not, but it makes sense.

Glad you're doing all right, Dan.

FORD
02-22-2011, 07:32 PM
If that's the case, you would think they might build more quake-resistant buildings, which doesn't look like the case in the pictures I saw. When the 6.8 hit here, some of the older buildings in town had some structural damage, but nothing like this. Even in my neighborhood, which is one of the oldest in town, it was more busted chimneys than anything. I'm still finding minor cracks in the walls, but that's about it.

Guitar Shark
02-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Hmm, I recall quite a bit of damage in the Pioneer Square area. Perhaps different types of earthquakes can do more extensive damage even if the Richter rating is about the same.

ashstralia
02-22-2011, 07:53 PM
yeah.. 'shaky isles' and 'land of the long white cloud' are two common terms for nz. there was a big one in '89 in newcastle, a large town north of sydney. can't remember how many died but mr. wiki will know. i think we get our share of quakes, but because we have relatively compact population centres a lot of them go unnoticed except for the seismographic record. you gotta remember that about 95% of the population here live within 60 miles of the coastline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Newcastle_earthquake

Seshmeister
02-22-2011, 07:55 PM
They have had pretty big quakes around the Yellowstone area and it hasn't set the volcano off.

We're all dead if that thing ever goes off.

FORD
02-22-2011, 07:59 PM
I know one of the contributing factors in both downtown Olympia and downtown Seattle is that a lot of the land that now exists was either filled in over what was naturally water, or built entirely on top of the natural land (as is the case with Pioneer Square). When a quake hits this fill, it might as well be jello, which is probably what led to the damage that hit Olympia and Seattle, especially the "fatal" damage to the Alaskan Way Viaduct. Or the Deschutes Parkway around Capitol Lake, which had to be completely rebuilt.

Seshmeister
02-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Hmm, I recall quite a bit of damage in the Pioneer Square area. Perhaps different types of earthquakes can do more extensive damage even if the Richter rating is about the same.

The Richter scale isn't used much by scientists now because it's not very helpful for comparing the effects of earthquakes.

For over 30 years they have used something called the Moment magnitude scale but it has never entered the public consciousness for some reason so isn't reported.

ashstralia
02-22-2011, 08:05 PM
will there be another big one in san fran in our lifetime? we can't really know, which is a bit scary.

Dan
02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Thank You All.I'm Lucky i Live In the North Island.The South Island Of New Zealand has Been Hit By Many More Earthquakes Since A new Fault line has Appeared.We had a really Big one In the 1930's in Napier that killed Alot of people.We have had Many offers From Overseas To help out,Which is Sweet as.There is Still Hope that many people will Make It out alive.Lets pray They do.A very sad Day For many New Zealander's.

Nitro Express
02-22-2011, 08:32 PM
We're all dead if that thing ever goes off.

I've done a lot of back packing and fishing in the Island Park and Yellowstone areas. You can actually see the remains of the Island Park cauldera. It's huge and it was the smaller of the three explosions. Put it this way, it buried Nebraska in about six feet of ash. The ash has a high glass content and it shortens the life of grazing animals in Yellowstone Park.

An eruption would block out the sun for a year or two and all vegetation would die off then an ice age would follow. You could kiss your global warming good bye. If you had a nuclear reactor for power and indoor grow lights for food you could survive. I'm sure some governments have that which means unfortunately asshole politicians will survive it.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-22-2011, 08:35 PM
:biggrin:

Nitro Express
02-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Thank You All.I'm Lucky i Live In the North Island.The South Island Of New Zealand has Been Hit By Many More Earthquakes Since A new Fault line has Appeared.We had a really Big one In the 1930's in Napier that killed Alot of people.We have had Many offers From Overseas To help out,Which is Sweet as.There is Still Hope that many people will Make It out alive.Lets pray They do.A very sad Day For many New Zealander's.

I think I would live up north as well. Warmer weather. Then you have the snow and mountains down south when you want them.

ELVIS
02-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Has global warming been blamed yet ??

Grant
02-22-2011, 09:54 PM

Good to hear that your relatives are all safe and well, matey. And here's to hoping that more people can make it through this terrible disaster...

I've been watching constant news coverage of this...such powerful images indeed. Christchurch is such a beautiful city.

Dan
02-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Good to hear that your relatives are all safe and well, matey. And here's to hoping that more people can make it through this terrible disaster...

I've been watching constant news coverage of this...such powerful images indeed. Christchurch is such a beautiful city.

The Garden City is What They Call It.:D

Got To Have Faith My Friends.

Nitro Express
02-23-2011, 01:08 AM
The Garden City is What They Call It.:D

Got To Have Faith My Friends.

Good to hear your relatives are safe and ok. That's the worst earthquake damage I've seen in a modern city ever. It's got to be awful trying to get trapped people out of that rubble.

Seshmeister
02-23-2011, 04:23 AM
Has global warming been blamed yet ??

Apparently is was the invisible imaginary cloud daddy man who done it.

kwame k
02-23-2011, 05:27 AM
............because He loves them so!

ashstralia
02-23-2011, 05:28 AM
hang in there kiwi friends, we can rebuild it. we do disasters. here's another slidey picture thing of the recent flooding in queensland.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/queensland-floods-interactive-before-and-after-photos/story-fn7ik2te-1225987255127

Seshmeister
02-23-2011, 05:29 AM
............because He loves them so!

It's a big mystery why he didn't put some tectonic plate faults in Germany back in the day.

kwame k
02-23-2011, 05:33 AM
.....because He loved them also!

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/Orsen.jpg

Blaze
02-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Dan, Praise and good to hear you are well and yours are accounted for.

Is this the second earthquake Christchurch has had???

There is a Cathedral there that has a belfry with 144 stair-steps to the chamber.

I looked it up

http://www.christchurchcathedral.co.nz/

It states

EARTHQUAKE AFTERSHOCK REPORT

Dated Thursday February 4, 2011

From Wiki:
The 6.3-magnitude 2011 Canterbury earthquake on 22 February 2011 left the cathedral damaged and several surrounding buildings in ruins. The 130-year-old spire that had withstood damage in the September 2010 quake was completely destroyed, leaving only the lower half of the tower standing. While the walls and roof of the cathedral itself remained mostly intact, the gable of the west front sustained damage, and the roof over the western section of the north aisle, nearest the tower, collapsed.[3]
Preliminary reports suggested that several people had been in the tower at the time of its collapse, and while deaths are presumed, a survivor has been filmed at a window.[4][5][6] Peter Beck, the dean of the cathedral, said: "We just don't know if there were people underneath so all we can do now is just pray and wait while the emergency services get in there. We just don't know. It is devastating about the cathedral but the most important thing at the moment is not the buildings, it's the people, and we've got to reach out to each other here in Christchurch and Canterbury and do what we can to deal with those who are wounded, those who have been killed and their families."[7]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/ChristChurch_Cathedral_-_2011_earthquake_damage.jpg/800px-ChristChurch_Cathedral_-_2011_earthquake_damage.jpg

God have mercy on the people. ~`~

ashstralia
02-23-2011, 05:42 AM
It's a big mystery why he didn't put some tectonic plate faults in Germany back in the day.

god's a pro semite. :)

FORD
02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
god's a pro semite. :)

All the more reason He should have smited Germany then.

Seshmeister
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Smite is such an underused word these days.

Reminded me of the Larson cartoon...

http://www.rethinkingourstory.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/smite1.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
02-23-2011, 12:26 PM
they ended up quite smited....

Seshmeister
02-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Were you about to say smitten and then realised the problem...? :)

ashstralia
02-24-2011, 06:52 AM
All the more reason He should have smited Germany then.

and deny us all that history... oy vey

i'm thinking of the people in christchurch tonight.

Dan
02-26-2011, 12:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOESyEljmFE

ashstralia
02-26-2011, 04:02 AM
cheers dan, i know a lot of aussie firey's and coppers are over there atm. and on another note, isn't it 'smote' not 'smited' mr. ford?:)

ThrillsNSpills
02-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Danno is a superhero.
He will conquer all.

FORD
02-26-2011, 12:24 PM
and on another note, isn't it 'smote' not 'smited' mr. ford?:)

Could be. Who the Hell knows with 17th century King James Version English? Maybe you should ask JC next time He's online? :biggrin:

Grant
02-26-2011, 09:38 PM
cheers dan, i know a lot of aussie firey's and coppers are over there atm.

And doctors too. You obviously heard about this story:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10708794

Hacksaw amputation 'just what you do to save a life', says doctor

The doctors who amputated a man's legs to save him from almost certain death in the collapsed Pyne Gould building where he was trapped had to work in the dark.

New details emerged yesterday of the field operation done by Christchurch Hospital anaesthetist Dr Bryce Curran and Australian urological surgeon Dr Lydia Johns Putra, in Christchurch for a medical conference, in the hours after Tuesday's earthquake.

They kept at their task despite being shaken by a "small aftershock", working together to remove the anaesthetised man's badly damaged legs above the knees.

Without surgical instruments, they had to use tools that were available - a fold-out knife from a Leather-man multi-tool, and a hacksaw.

The 52-year-old man, known only as Brian, is now recuperating at Waikato Hospital in Hamilton.

Dr Curran told the Weekend Herald of the difficulty of the emergency operation and his fears inside the collapsed building.

"It was a matter of going up a stairwell that was in a rather precarious state to a small space where this man was confined.

"It was ... a very compromised situation, being in the dark and using what we could find.

"The decision was made to remove the man's legs because he would have almost certainly died if we had delayed. He was continually bleeding, he would have bled to death. There was no way he was going to be extracted from the situation."

Morphine and ketamine were administered to anaesthetise Brian and the two doctors began.

"We took turns at doing the surgery. It was physically demanding work," Dr Curran said. It took about 15 minutes.

"There was a small after-shock when we were in there, which was unsettling. I went into the building twice, I was reluctant to go in a second time. Under the circumstances, that's just what you do: there was a life to be saved.

"We worked as a team, myself and the surgeon who went into the building, supported very much, very well by the fire officer who was with us."

Urologist Dr Stuart Philip of Brisbane, who helped shift Brian to an ambulance, said his colleague was so traumatised by the amputation she did not wish to speak publicly.

On the way to Christchurch Hospital Brian's heart stopped and he had to be resuscitated.

His wife and two children are in Hamilton with him.

Waikato Hospital trauma specialist Dr Grant Christey said he was doing very well considering what he had been through.

ashstralia
02-26-2011, 10:05 PM
whoa man, that's pretty out there.

"We took turns at doing the surgery. It was physically demanding work," Dr Curran said. It took about 15 minutes.