PDA

View Full Version : Fringe

Mr Walker
02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Great night to climb on board... tonight's episode looks to be a standout. Plus, Nimoy just said on twitter he'll be returning as Walter's old pal William Bell. Right now Fringe and Justified are the only 2 shows that are appointment viewing for me... oh, and Big Love too.

FORD
02-25-2011, 05:32 PM
I thought old Spock said he was done after the end of last season. Guess he thought he was needed to tie up some "illogical" loose ends concerning his alternate universe.

Mr Walker
02-25-2011, 06:34 PM
TheRealNimoy Leonard Nimoy
Coming to Fringe. William's bell rings soon. LLAP

They've been dropping hints... finding the Dr. Spock book in bell's safe and the comment on how Bell developed 'soul magnets' so he can make contact from the other side, uh not Earth 2 with all the Zeppelins, the real other side.

chefcraig
02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Although a new episode, from what I've gathered tonight's episode is a flashback, centering on Olivia and Peter in their youth, before they became united in the present.

Mr Walker
02-25-2011, 06:54 PM
That's why it's a good night for people to jump in to the series... tonight is a follow up to Season 2's 'Peter' episode.

chefcraig
02-25-2011, 06:58 PM
In a way, I believe the show lost a great deal with the introduction of this alternate Earth plot line. The idea of having the opening credits either normal or tinted red to clue people in as to what they are going to see points to how unnecessarily complicated things have become, instead of the more simpler "X-Files" stories the show started out with. And now Olivia is pregnant in the other time line with Peter's child? Sheeest.

FORD
02-26-2011, 12:34 PM
In a way, I believe the show lost a great deal with the introduction of this alternate Earth plot line. The idea of having the opening credits either normal or tinted red to clue people in as to what they are going to see points to how unnecessarily complicated things have become, instead of the more simpler "X-Files" stories the show started out with. And now Olivia is pregnant in the other time line with Peter's child? Sheeest.

And last night they had 80's retro opening credits, since the show was set in Olivia & Peter's childhoods.

And after watching it, I'm as confused as ever. So Olivia developed her abilities to cross over to the other world because her stepfather beat the shit out of her??

And if Peter knew back then that Walter and Mrs. Walter were not his parents, how did he forget, because adult Peter had no clue until the end of last season.

And if Walternate created the Star Wars system (presumably one that actually worked) on BizarroEarth, and their technology is apparently better over there, then why the Hell are they flying around in blimps? :confused13:

chefcraig
02-26-2011, 12:55 PM
The forgetfulness requires a bizarre suspension of disbelief. If this is to make sense, Olivia and Peter both somehow "forgot" the existence of each other. So what happened, were they hypnotized or drank some sort of serum? And if Olivia materialized in the other world in order to tip off Walternate as to what was going on, wouldn't he have fostered some sort of relationship with the other Olivia in order to access the other world long before now? I mean, it was his son that was kidnapped, after all.

Another thing, the space shuttle on the launch pad in the background. According to the time line, could that have been the ill-fated Challenger? It couldn't have been SDI, as that program took place about three years earlier, at least in our world.

Mr Walker
02-26-2011, 02:00 PM
My bad... last night's episode wasn't so great.

Best lines from the series so far...
Walter Bishop: Peter, don't be such a prude. I'm sure Agent Dunham knows what a penis looks like. Don't you agent Dunham?

chefcraig
02-26-2011, 02:11 PM
I just hate it when new clues or details are introduced that subvert or contradict earlier ones, because you get the feeling that the creators are pulling things out of a hat, making up the show's mythology as they go along. You'd think that the lesson of Twin Peaks would come to mind, but apparently it doesn't. Look at LOST, which was not so coincidentally another J. J. Abrams production.

Mr Walker
03-03-2011, 02:48 PM
The forgetfulness requires a bizarre suspension of disbelief. If this is to make sense, Olivia and Peter both somehow "forgot" the existence of each other. So what happened, were they hypnotized or drank some sort of serum? And if Olivia materialized in the other world in order to tip off Walternate as to what was going on, wouldn't he have fostered some sort of relationship with the other Olivia in order to access the other world long before now? I mean, it was his son that was kidnapped, after all.

Looks like this will be part of the storyline... something along the lines of them having had their brains wiped by Mr Spock... the same way he cut out part of Walter's brain.

FORD
03-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Vulcan mind meld? :biggrin:

chefcraig
03-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Looks like this will be part of the storyline... something along the lines of them having had their brains wiped by Mr Spock... the same way he cut out part of Walter's brain.

Obviously he must have perfected the art on Walter, whom he turned into a drooling lunatic and wound up in a nuthouse, while Peter and Olivia seem to be functioning adults. It's a shame the show appears to have been put out to pasture by scheduling it on Friday nights. Then again, there were what, three episodes of American Idol this week, which should tell you where FOX's priorities lie.

chefcraig
03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Oh, great: "FRINGE will not be seen this week as FOX brings you the 42nd Annual NAACP Image Awards."

Mr Walker
03-25-2011, 08:07 AM
'Fringe' Gets Renewed for a Fourth Season
by Harley W. Lond, posted Mar 24th 2011 11:52PM

Filed under:
TV News

Fox's 'Fringe' may be on the fringe of Friday night viewing, but that hasn't stopped the network from renewing the series for a fourth season -- and with a vote-of-confidence order of 22 episodes.

The sci-fi show -- from J.J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman -- has been pushed about from night to night by Fox; it debuted on Tuesdays, moved to Thursdays and recently was shunted to Friday, where its low ratings got even lower. The show garnered a series low 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic in its most recent episode -- down 13 percent from the previous week -- with a viewership of 3.6 million, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

But according to Deadline, Fox was high on the series' creative direction and upbeat about its chances. Additionally, the show does well with DVR numbers.

'Fringe' executive producer J.H. Wyman noted the renewal on his Twitter account: "Fringe was picked up!!!! Thanks Fringedom!"

chefcraig
03-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Well, that's a relief. On the other hand, tonight's episode (according to the previews) deals with the alternate Olivia's pregnancy, and it looks pretty damned disturbing in a "What are you doing to my baby?" sort of way. I really despise these "pregnant women in jeopardy" exploitation themes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENJ4DltZcl8

Mr Walker
03-25-2011, 09:07 AM
While I was watching last weeks episode, I was hoping Trixie was going to become a regular as a portal for Bell.

chefcraig
03-25-2011, 09:24 AM
While I was watching last weeks episode, I was hoping Trixie was going to become a regular as a portal for Bell.

It's an interesting idea, as they can't keep him in Olivia forever. I do enjoy the interaction between "Belly" and Walter though, and it shows just how certain social barriers have come down. Years ago, FOX could not show the characters of That 70s Show sitting in a circle, getting high. All that could be seen was some residual smoke, implying what was taking place. Last week (and the week before, where Walter was sharing a bong with Hurley from LOST in the opening scene), not only were Walter and Bell/Olivia blatantly sharing a joint, it was implied that they got the cow stoned, as well!

FORD
03-25-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm wondering if Olivia has spent some time up here in Yelm with the Ramtha cult, because this voice she's using while "channeling" Bell sounds far more like JZ Knight's demon voice than it does Leonard Nimoy (which presumably was the intention)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiqnOS95lJw

Nitro Express
03-25-2011, 01:54 PM
What the fuck? She looks like she has some money. I thought the Christian church scams were bad.

Something tells me Sammy Hagar may know her.:biggrin:

Nitro Express
03-25-2011, 02:01 PM
In 2013 I would really love to know the total amount of money made off of this whole 2012 business. It's got to be a new age/UFO con artists dream.