PDA

View Full Version : The New Rush Album

Kristy
03-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Anyone heard this yet? Apparently, it was recoded back in 2009 and has been sitting ever since and after one listen you can see why. It sounds warped, weird regressed metal. Lee sounds as if his thugging his vocal through Auto Tune yet Neil's drumming sounds as bombastic as ever. Have to wait for it's release to make a full conclusion.

ELVIS
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
What no clips ??

Kristy
03-02-2011, 10:32 AM
No. I'm sure it's been leaked or that you can stream it somewhere. Local radio played only 2 tunes. I'm undecided if I like or it will another boring pile of shit like Snakes & Arrows

ELVIS
03-02-2011, 10:39 AM
I hated Worms and Toothpicks when I first heard it and I still do...

Even the drums were lame...

ELVIS
03-02-2011, 10:42 AM
This is ok...

:elvis:

ELVIS
03-02-2011, 10:43 AM
:elvis:

ELVIS
03-02-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm digging Caravan...

Is it me or is Geddy singing lower than Ozzy these days...

chefcraig
03-02-2011, 10:45 AM

No kidding. Every song has the exact same production, with only slight (if any) variations in guitar tone. I don't mind an engaging album that reveals more and more with each repeated listen, but I'll be damned if I'm going to listen to an album repeatedly just to be able to tell the songs apart.

Nitro Express
03-02-2011, 10:47 AM
My brother in law is a huge Rush fan. His favorite album is 2112 because he loves how Geddy just wails on that album. He went and saw Rush a few years ago and he said Alex had Barbies and toys on the stage and Geddy had rotisserie ovens with chickens in them. He said when they played the Priests of the Temples of Syrnix Geddy dressed up like a pirate with the eye patch and fake parrot and sang "We are the PIRATES of the temples of Syrnix." He said they are still great musicians but all the stupid humor attempts were lame as hell. He said he actually was starting to get angry because Rush was making fun of their own legacy. He said that's his last Rush concert.

ELVIS
03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Never heard that one...:biggrin:

Nitro Express
03-02-2011, 10:52 AM
The last good Rush album for me was Grace Under Pressure. After that it went downhill from a creative standpoint. Their old stuff is still the best.

Kristy
03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
On further listening I have no idea why they have this desire to sound like every other modern metal band out there. Lifeson always played heavy but nothing like this; could a producer contract dispute on why this album sat around for two years or that they weren't happy with it. Nonetheless, a tour will certainly follow this summer and I'd love to see them if ticket prices were reasonable. I am not at all a huge fan but they do put on a terrific live show.

ELVIS
03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
You don't like Caravan ??

I like the bass and drums and the guitar solo is cool as well...

FORD
03-02-2011, 02:13 PM

That was pretty much my reaction to it. If Neil Peart doesn't sound like Neil Peart, then what's the point?

I liked their 60s cover album though, because it had the "why the fuck not" vibe to it.

FORD
03-02-2011, 02:16 PM
My brother in law is a huge Rush fan. His favorite album is 2112 because he loves how Geddy just wails on that album. He went and saw Rush a few years ago and he said Alex had Barbies and toys on the stage and Geddy had rotisserie ovens with chickens in them. He said when they played the Priests of the Temples of Syrnix Geddy dressed up like a pirate with the eye patch and fake parrot and sang "We are the PIRATES of the temples of Syrnix." He said they are still great musicians but all the stupid humor attempts were lame as hell. He said he actually was starting to get angry because Rush was making fun of their own legacy. He said that's his last Rush concert.

The roasted chickens and the washers & dryers on the tour before that were interesting gimmicks, but you can only do that kind of shit for so long. For one thing, it might be hard to recruit roadies with all that extra heavy equipment that has nothing to do with the sound. :biggrin:

lesfunk
03-02-2011, 02:19 PM
I stopped listening after Signals. Actually I used Grace under pressure to help me sleep.

hambon4lif
03-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I stopped listening after Signals. Actually I used Grace under pressure to help me sleep.Same here. I did buy Roll The Bones so I could kick the blacklight on and smoke a joint to 'Ghost Of A Chance' every once in awhile, but I haven't heard an entire album from them since Signals that was worth getting excited about.

Mr Walker
03-02-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm looking forward to the 'Moving Pictures' blu-ray that is being released soon...

RUSH's "Moving Pictures" celebrates its 30th anniversary this year with a spectacular "Moving Pictures - Deluxe Edition" via Mercury/UMe. The reissue of this seminal album on April 5, will be available in two formats: (1) a digitally remastered CD plus DVD and (2) a digitally remastered CD plus Blu-ray. For this Deluxe Edition, the DVD and Blu-ray discs will feature the album and three bonus music videos, "Tom Sawyer", "Limelight" and the previously unreleased clip "Vital Signs", in both a stunning 5.1 Surround Sound mix supervised by the band's Alex Lifeson using the original multi-tracks and in newly remastered stereo from the original analog master tapes.

Both DVD and Blu-ray formats will boast the 5.1 Surround Sound and stereo audio in 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audiophile playback which offers 256 times more resolution than CD audio, providing the listener with the closest experience you can have to what the artists hear in the studio. The DVD is playable on both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players, the latter players will include Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and PCM stereo playback. Blu-ray discs will also feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround Sound in addition to 96kHz/24-bit PCM 5.1 Surround Sound and stereo.

The "Moving Pictures" experience has never sounded better or been more moving. Also included in the package is an extensive gallery with previously unreleased photos from the original recording sessions, new liner notes by renowned music journalist David Fricke and 30th-anniversary artwork by original album designer Hugh Syme.

At quadruple platinum in the U.S., "Moving Pictures" was the band's eighth studio album and remains its biggest-selling release to date, highlighted by the group's best-known track "Tom Sawyer", as well as the hit "Limelight", radio favorite "Red Barchetta" and Grammy-nominated instrumental "YYZ".

RUSH continues to garner new fans through new recordings and touring, and is a mainstay at Mainstream Rock radio. Last year, RUSH had 100 different tracks get radio airplay, one of only six rock artists — including AC/DC, METALLICA, AEROSMITH, PINK FLOYD, and THE ROLLING STONES — to have that deep a catalog. They also are one of only 16 artists to have remained in the Top 40 in radio airplay for the last 10 years at Mainstream Rock. As singer-bassist-keyboardist Geddy Lee, lead guitarist Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart record their 20th studio album, "Clockwork Angels", and continue their "Time Machine" tour in America and Europe this year — during which they will perform the entire album — RUSH continues to stay true to the spirit that made "Moving Pictures" a classic.

Track listing:

Format 1 (CD + DVD):

CD:

01. Tom Sawyer
02. Red Barchetta
03. YYZ
04. Limelight
05. The Camera Eye
06. Witch Hunt
07. Vital Signs

DVD-Audio/Video:

01. Tom Sawyer (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
02. Red Barchetta (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
03. YYZ (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
04. Limelight (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
05. The Camera Eye (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
06. Witch Hunt (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
07. Vital Signs (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
08. Tom Sawyer (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)
09. Limelight (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)
10. Vital Signs (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo – Previously Unreleased)

Format 2 (CD + Blu-ray):

CD:

01. Tom Sawyer
02. Red Barchetta
03. YYZ
04. Limelight
05. The Camera Eye
06. Witch Hunt
07. Vital Signs

Blu-ray:

01. Tom Sawyer (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
02. Red Barchetta (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
03. YYZ (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
04. Limelight (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
05. The Camera Eye (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
06. Witch Hunt (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
07. Vital Signs (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
08. Tom Sawyer (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)
09. Limelight (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo)
10. Vital Signs (Music Video – 5.1 & Stereo – Previously Unreleased)

Jagermeister
03-02-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm looking forward to the 'Moving Pictures' blu-ray that is being released soon...

I would buy that.

ThrillsNSpills
03-02-2011, 05:10 PM
new album= 1 listen, then paperweight

Nothing says we don't care about airplay better than Hemispheres:)

Seshmeister
03-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Your brother in law sounds like a very very tiresome old man. I'm glad he won't be boring the fuck out of people at Rush concerts any more.

He's probably about ready for death.

Seshmeister
03-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Wrong wrong wrong. :)

Great opening track and a couple of other tremendous efforts.

ThrillsNSpills
03-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Lifeson's solo album Victor was good.

Pretty much because a good part of it sounded like old Rush.

Seshmeister
03-02-2011, 06:07 PM
A lot of people have nostalgia thing going on with Rush me included but if you are honest and go back and listen to 2112 the song itself goes downhill rapidly after The Temples of Syrinx.

ELVIS
03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Wrong wrong wrong!

Seshmeister
03-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Far Cry is the best thing they have done in years.

It's the best thing any band from the 70s/80s has done in years.

The Main Monkey Business is great too. I agree the album fades a bit as it goes on but still...

Nitro Express
03-03-2011, 01:11 AM
The roasted chickens and the washers & dryers on the tour before that were interesting gimmicks, but you can only do that kind of shit for so long. For one thing, it might be hard to recruit roadies with all that extra heavy equipment that has nothing to do with the sound. :biggrin:

It's because Geddy runs his SansAmp direct to the board and doesn't use amps and cabinets. So he made a back line of roasted chicken or commercial dryers. Maybe Maytag should sponsor the next tour while their new appliances are on display on stage. No shit. The road crew probably were like hell yeah, no back line to haul and set up and then they get the word they are going to be hauling commercial dryers and roasting ovens.

Seshmeister
03-03-2011, 05:28 AM
It wasn't only a gimmick since the dryers did the crews laundry and the chicken fed them.

That must have enraged your bozo in law.

Nitro Express
03-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Your brother in law sounds like a very very tiresome old man. I'm glad he won't be boring the fuck out of people at Rush concerts any more.

He's probably about ready for death.

He's a great singer and has a great band. His problem with Rush is they don't put out like they used to and he found the show boring.

Nitro Express
03-03-2011, 11:14 AM
I never liked 2112 myself. I don't like Tommy. I always thought these rock opera or rock story telling albums were corny. Just make some songs. I think Geddy thinks it was corny and Townsend even laughs at how dumb the concept of rock opera was.

chefcraig
03-03-2011, 11:14 AM
His problem with Rush is they don't put out like they used to and he found the show boring.

For your sister's sake, you'd better hope he doesn't get to a point where he feels the same about her.

Nitro Express
03-03-2011, 11:21 AM
It wasn't only a gimmick since the dryers did the crews laundry and the chicken fed them.

That must have enraged your bozo in law.

It was all a joke. They put tour shirts in the dryers and then tossed them out to the audience after the show. I think the chicken thing actually replaced the dryers because a restaurant chain contacted the band and convinced them to put the roasting ovens up there. All that stuff was a joke because Geddy wanted to fill up the space to compete with Alex's amps and cabs.

I'm sure someone actually ate those chickens but I'm sure there was the typical catering table backstage as well.

Nitro Express
03-03-2011, 11:22 AM
For your sister's sake, you'd better hope he doesn't get to a point where he feels the same about her.

I wouldn't give a ratt's ass. It wouldn't be my problem.

chefcraig
03-03-2011, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't give a ratt's ass. It wouldn't be my problem.

So, you value what your brother in law thinks about a rock band, but are indifferent as to what he thinks of his wife, who happens to be your sister. OK, thanks for clearing that up. :baaa:

78/84 guy
03-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Lee started to put Washers & Chicken whatevers on stage because he plays direct through the soundboard these days and there was nothing behind him on stage. Saw them in August. They played both new tunes that were great live. They can still bring it live but Getty has problems singing some of the old stuff. They lost me in the mid 80's with the keyboard shit but Counterparts got me back through the last album Snakes, it is a little weak but the 3 or 4 before it are great. No lame keyboards.

Nitro Express
03-04-2011, 11:08 PM
So, you value what your brother in law thinks about a rock band, but are indifferent as to what he thinks of his wife, who happens to be your sister. OK, thanks for clearing that up. :baaa:

I pretty much wrote my family off or they wrote me off. When you grow up in a cult and leave it, things like that happen.

Nitro Express
03-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Family can be your worst enemy. That's why the police investigate family members first in a murder case because it's usually a family member that did it. So maybe good friends are more valuable than family. I think so.

ashstralia
03-04-2011, 11:52 PM
that caravan song is cool. hey rush, tour australia ya bastards!!!!

Dr. Love
03-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Far Cry is the best thing they have done in years.

It's the best thing any band from the 70s/80s has done in years.

The Main Monkey Business is great too. I agree the album fades a bit as it goes on but still...

Sounds like one of the worse dream theater songs I've heard.

Seshmeister
03-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I disagree strongly... :)