PDA

View Full Version : Madonna - Ray Of Light

Hardrock69
03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Say what you will about her (and I have in many cases), but she is talented and has released some good albums here or there over the past 30 years.

I was at a friend's used record shop the other day, and found this CD for 98 cents.

I bought it new soon after it first came out, but I have no idea what happened to it.

So listened to it again yesterday.

No guitars really. Mostly electronica in a dancepop format.

But as a work of art, it is superior. VERY well done. Production is stellar, songs are good, and the songs work together as a whole for a good overall 'collection' of songs.

Substitute For Love, Swim, and Ray Of Light are standout tracks, and even though this album is well over 10 years old, I still love listening to it once in awhile. It is no wonder it was a hit album.

Just my 2 cents on a meaningless subject. :biggrin:

lesfunk
03-03-2011, 03:40 PM
OK thanks :)

Diamondjimi
03-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Alllrighty then..... :biggrin:

chefcraig
03-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm a fan of hook-laden, riff happy dance music with amazing grooves, dating back to "Got To Be Real" by Cheryl Lynn, and hell even earlier. Ray Of Light doesn't really feature that sort of music, but is still a pretty strong album. I did think the follow-up Music was a better album overall, though.

Speaking of this stuff, has anyone seen the basketball commercials on ESPN? Check out the bass and groove on this track, although I have no idea if the band is named Justice or D.A.N.C.E.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daMuNH1lcQE

ThrillsNSpills
03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Say what you will about her (and I have in many cases), but she is talented and has released some good albums here or there over the past 30 years.

I was at a friend's used record shop the other day, and found this CD for 98 cents.

I bought it new soon after it first came out, but I have no idea what happened to it.

But as a work of art, it is superior. VERY well done. Production is stellar, songs are good, and the songs work together as a whole for a good overall 'collection' of songs.

Substitute For Love, Swim, and Ray Of Light are standout tracks, and even though this album is well over 10 years old, I still love listening to it once in awhile. It is no wonder it was a hit album.

http://images.tvrage.com/people/84/249780.jpg I am Torry

ThrillsNSpills
03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Actually, Ray of Light sounds like a song you could free fall to.

Without the Parachute.

Seshmeister
03-03-2011, 06:12 PM
I have to admit that album is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine too.

Always sounds pretty shit live though from what I've seen.

FORD
03-03-2011, 06:46 PM
I never considered myself much of a Madonna fan, but when I first heard the title track from "Ray of Light" it was the only thing I'd heard from her since the first two albums which didn't make me wretch violently. Haven't heard the rest of the album, so I can't say much more about it, but at least the one song is as good as her early material, which I can't really say about much of her stuff after 1986.

Seshmeister
03-03-2011, 06:56 PM
It's unclear how much that is good about the sound and songs on the album are down to Madonna herself and how much to her being able to get a bunch of talented hip collaborators.

chefcraig
03-03-2011, 06:59 PM
It's unclear how much that is good about the sound and songs on the album are down to Madonna herself and how much to her being able to get a bunch of talented hip collaborators.

When you think about it, you could say the same about every album she's made.

ELVIS
03-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Is everyone here gay ??

kwame k
03-03-2011, 07:20 PM
No....I'm feeling a little blue.

FORD
03-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Is everyone here gay ??

Why are you always so concerned with who is or isn't gay?

ELVIS
03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
We got a bunch of old fart Madonna fans here...WTF ??

Nitro Express
03-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Is everyone here gay ??

I'm a closet gay. I always secretly enjoyed listening to Wham!

lesfunk
03-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Madonna's tits were epic in that video.

Nitro Express
03-03-2011, 07:27 PM
She must have done something because all the new bubble gum tits imitate her.

hambon4lif
03-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Is everyone here gay ??No, but I think you'll have a better chance of finding a date here....

http://www.yngwiemalmsteen.com/home.html

chefcraig
03-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Why are you always so concerned with who is or isn't gay?

Slow night in the hospital's men's room.

FORD
03-03-2011, 07:32 PM
:lmao:

FORD
03-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm a closet gay. I always secretly enjoyed listening to Wham!

I'll be the first to admit that George Michael had one Hell of a voice, but the songs he chose to use it on did absolutely nothing for me.

He did do a good job here though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-7jmD7OxE

Some believe he should have toured with What's Left Of Queen instead of Paul Rodgers. I wouldn't go that far, because while George did OK here, I don't see him pulling off Queen's harder stuff, like Stone Cold Crazy, for example. The man just ain't a rocker by any stretch of the imagination.

Seshmeister
03-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Well at least he can take a joke...

SunisinuS
03-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Madonna did have one freakin fine ass. Screwed a girl when that blue thingie album came out and the chick (Hi Terri) put that as part of the sound track for that summer. Madonna is alright with me.

Terry
03-03-2011, 08:54 PM

I think I could probably cobble together a dozen tunes out of her entire catalog and come up with a songlist that could surpass mere tolerability in spots. It's undeniable that some of her stuff is fairly catchy. She had a knack for being able to change her image with a degree of success that extended her commercial viability far longer than the majority of bubblegum...er..."artists". I suppose there is a degree of talent involved with all of that.

In the end, though, for me her stuff is disposable to the point where if I never heard any of it again I wouldn't miss it.

I certainly would have threw her a bang around the Like A Virgin/True Blue period.

hambon4lif
03-03-2011, 08:59 PM
I can't think of another artist that's done more to expose the so-called "religious right" for the true hypocrites they really are.

That alone makes her cool in my book.

chefcraig
03-03-2011, 10:20 PM
I can't think of another artist that's done more to expose the so-called "religious right" for the true hypocrites they really are.

That alone makes her cool in my book.

Frank Zappa comes to mind. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/respect/respect-023.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCcgthWmE60

IceCreamBlondie
03-03-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't care much for Madonna; I think she is more about marketing herself than actual musicianship. However, I think "Ray of Light" is catchy, danceable, and her best tune. I don't really care about the rest.:umm:

wolfsbane
03-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Madonna doesn't care about her music.

Why do you?

Prothro
03-03-2011, 11:43 PM
I took the "Hard Rock Vault" tour in Orlando in 04. They had a couple or her outfits in there. The tour guide said that she has bought the rights to the song "Happy Birthday" in every language except English. And as he explained it , if the song is sung in public in any other language other than English , she gets paid. He also said that she has copy righted a formula to selling music , and if you the artist use this formula she gets a cut. It went something like 1. Release a single 2. Release a video of another song. 3. Release the album. Maybe I haven't got the order right but you get the picture. The tour guide listed off alot of stuff she owns and has the rights to, it really was amazing all the stuff.

Hardrock69
03-04-2011, 01:48 AM

Album was co-produced with William Orbit, one of the top electronica/dancepop producers on the planet.

The title track was written by Madonna, Orbit, and based on a song written by two other people, and there was a fifth person given songwriting credit as well.

So.....Sesh hit the nail on the head. Regardless of how much actual talent she has, if it were not for her assembling the team that got the album together, it would not have been made.

Some people would not have minded that, lol.

But what the fuck. I am just commenting on how I like the record. Who the fuck made it is just about irrelevant to me. :biggrin:

binnie
03-04-2011, 04:43 AM
Didn't William Orbit produce 'Ray of Light'?

Having worked in a record shop for many, many years I can vouch that it is one of Madonna's better albums....

Seshmeister
03-04-2011, 05:32 AM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_sVfuPBgdLI0/SHPHCNI5oEI/AAAAAAAAAcs/q7fMULnmW1E/s400/reading+comprehension.jpg

VAiN
03-04-2011, 01:27 PM
The tour guide said that she has bought the rights to the song "Happy Birthday" in every language except English. And as he explained it , if the song is sung in public in any other language other than English , she gets paid. He also said that she has copy righted a formula to selling music , and if you the artist use this formula she gets a cut. It went something like 1. Release a single 2. Release a video of another song. 3. Release the album. Maybe I haven't got the order right but you get the picture. The tour guide listed off alot of stuff she owns and has the rights to, it really was amazing all the stuff.

I have a feeling that tour guide was laughing to his buddies later that night telling the same story.

Kristy
03-04-2011, 01:37 PM
I'll be the first to admit that George Michael had one Hell of a voice, but the songs he chose to use it on did absolutely nothing for me. The man just ain't a rocker by any stretch of the imagination.

Give him some credit in other areas. He did manage to get into Christie Turlington's pants as her "Father Figure" on more than one occasion when she was in her prime.
http://s11.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/e/m/emxwdrh3ada33a3.jpg

Hardrock69
03-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Didn't William Orbit produce 'Ray of Light'?

Having worked in a record shop for many, many years I can vouch that it is one of Madonna's better albums....

Read the first sentence of Post #30, goober. :hee: