PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart working on new album...... (slowly)

Diamondjimi
03-07-2011, 01:10 PM
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2011/03/06/jb.jpg&size=248x186

Jeff Beck is returning to his roots -- in more ways than one. And he's taking Rod Stewart along with him.

The 66-year-old guitar hero says he and his former Jeff Beck Group frontman have slowly begun working on their first album in more than 40 years. Emphasis on slowly.

"I just spent a week doing demos for him -- and was promptly told they were in the wrong key, so we're back to Square 1," laughs Beck down the line from London. "And Rod's just had another child, so we have to wait for him to be free. But we're working on it.

"We want this to be the best album that both of us have ever made. But we only want to do it if it's great. We're not going to release anything that doesn't meet our standards. We want to revisit the spirit that was in those two albums that I did with Rod, and I sense this is probably a good time to do it, to let the world know that we started it all," he chuckles.

But the hot-rodder isn't just spinning his wheels while he waits for Stewart to reconnect with the young turk of Truth and Beck-Ola. His latest release is an equally nostalgic affair of a different stripe: The live CD and DVD Rock 'n' Roll Party Honouring Les Paul. Featuring rockabilly revivalist Imelda May on vocals -- and recorded on what would have been Paul's 95th birthday at the New York jazz club where he played weekly -- the album is a joyous tribute to the late guitar legend and inventor, who was a friend of Beck as well as one of his mentors.

Fresh from scoring a trio of Grammys -- and delivering the coolest acceptance of the festivities: "Thank you. That's it. S--- speech." -- the affable but straightforward Beck shared his thoughts on Paul's impact, Gene Vincent's fashion sense and hairy armpits.

Congrats on the new Grammys. How does it feel to finally break out of the rock instrumental ghetto after five awards -- and into the pop instrumental ghetto?

It was amazing. I understand the only person other than me to win both categories was Les Paul.

How timely. I talk to a lot guitarists in this racket, and almost all of them say you're God. But what does that make Les Paul?

Er, an underdog, I suppose. Serves him right; he shouldn't have been so good.

Is he your go-to guy?

Not necessarily. It's just that he was there when I was really small. He was the kernel that grew into the tree, as it were. Later, you find out people like Django Reinhardt were there before Les. But Les was so pivotal in electric guitar playing. He's the guy that put it on the map. No question. And he understood everything about sounds and recording and circuits and valves and all that. There wasn't much he didn't know. And he also knew how to make you laugh.

In the show, you don't just play Les's songs and licks; you play them in his style. Did that take a lot of practice?

No. Part of the upside of this whole project was the enjoyment of being able to play those solos, which I slavishly learned when I was about 14 and first got a guitar -- a proper professional guitar, not a hollowed-out log. I just spent hours listening and learning, but never was able to apply those solos in the songs of the time. So this was a golden opportunity in 2010.

It's also a tribute to some of your other early rockabilly heroes like Cliff Gallup, Scotty Moore, Paul Burlison and Hank Marvin. How do you see them fitting in with Les?

We just didn't think it was a good idea to do a whole evening of Les Paul hits without bringing in some others who were clearly affected, if not by his style, his sound. So even the non-Les Paul tracks were clearly in keeping. It was a party for Les, but I wanted people to enjoy the whole spectrum of rock 'n' roll from that era. And no one complained.

Even your clothes were a perfect reproduction of an old Gene Vincent outfit, right down to the blue cap. Where did you get that?

I've got a very nice lady that makes my clothes. I knew I would be playing with guys that looked like they walked out of the '50s, so I had to have something. And I thought the most iconic rock 'n' roll shirt I've ever seen is that Gene Vincent one. So I said, 'I'll have that.'

Are you going to tour with this show?

We're doing 11 gigs in America in out-of-the-way places. We're going into the hot-rod underground. In California especially, there's a whole car and rockabilly culture we hope will come. They're all in smaller theatres, because you can enjoy the music better. We probably would tour a lot more, but Imelda's very busy. She's doing very well in her own right. It's her bloody fault.

This is one of the strangest questions I've ever asked anyone, but I notice you often play sleeveless and when you raise your arms, it looks pretty smooth there. Do you shave your armpits?

No, I don't. I do hate hairy armpits, but I don't do that. So why have I got such fabulous hair, but don't have hairy armpits? It's a medical phenomenon. Now, I think we should get off this topic as quickly as possible.

Diamondjimi
03-07-2011, 01:12 PM

FORD
03-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Don't suppose Woody's gonna be playing bass this time?

(After Rod pussied out of the Faces reunion, I doubt you could get the two of them in the same room.)

Nitro Express
03-07-2011, 04:21 PM
If they can get Rod away from his electric train set. Rachel Hunter said one main reason she left Rod is all he wanted to do was play with his trains and didn't want to go out and have fun.

Hardrock69
03-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Aside from that, kinda nice they are doing an album. Will be interested in hearing this for sure.

FORD
03-07-2011, 06:41 PM
If they can get Rod away from his electric train set. Rachel Hunter said one main reason she left Rod is all he wanted to do was play with his trains and didn't want to go out and have fun.

Maybe Rod should be making an album with Neil Young then, since he owns the Lionel train company.

Nitro Express
03-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Kids don't play with electric trains anymore. They just want video games and to be honest, they don't have the patience or engineering ability to make a model rail road. So what keeps the hobby going is rich people who buy the companies that make the train stuff. The whole thing would disappear if guys like Neil Young didn't subsidize the hobby. So instead of save the whales it's save Lionel. LOL!

VAiN
03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I hope something comes of this... I've really been digging back and getting familiar with Beck's catalog. I love the early stuff with Rod... Who knows, maybe they'll beat VH out of the gate.

hambon4lif
03-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Beck can say with just one note what other guitarists try to say in a thousand. Quite frankly I could give a shit who he's working with, it would be awesome enough to me to see him out there showing others how it's supposed to be done.

Nitro Express
03-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Beck can say with just one note what other guitarists try to say in a thousand. Quite frankly I could give a shit who he's working with, it would be awesome enough to me to see him out there showing others how it's supposed to be done.

Good music is art. Good art moves you and bad art doesn't. If you have to think about it, it's not moving you enough. It should just be BAM! Beck does that to me.

twonabomber
03-07-2011, 07:16 PM
funny that they'd get back together. Beck was supposed to do the Camouflage tour with Stewart and bailed after a few shows. Beck only was onstage for 5 or 6 songs.

Beck also quit one of the Mick Jagger solo tours because there were going to be dancers onstage.

ELVIS
03-07-2011, 08:54 PM
*yawn*

I'd rather watch his trains...

chefcraig
03-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Don't suppose Woody's gonna be playing bass this time?

(After Rod pussied out of the Faces reunion, I doubt you could get the two of them in the same room.)

If the songs consist of anything other than blues tunes, I doubt Ron Wood could keep up.

FORD
03-08-2011, 04:01 PM
After singing nothing but warmed over easy listening tunes for the last decade, I doubt Rod can keep up!

Hardrock69
03-08-2011, 07:04 PM
No shit!

"The Great American Songbook" my fucking ass! Rod has been such a fucking sellout for the past 30 years!

Dude coulda been the lead vocalist for Led Zeppelin!

Oh well. Perhaps Jeff will convince him to actually rock out once more.

twonabomber
03-08-2011, 08:51 PM
saw Stewart on the Out Of Order and whatever the next tour was. probably just before he went completely sappy. i liked Out Of Order.

all those Songbook CD's were Clive Davis' idea, which is why i think it's a joke that he was to be the American Idol winner's "mentor." all he's done the last ten years is rehash his ideas. how many duet records has Davis talked Santana into doing?

FORD
03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
"Out of Order" may have been the one record he made post-Faces that was actually listenable. It was kind of a "Power Station 2.0" project, with Andy Taylor, Tony Thompson, and Bernard Edwards taking John Taylor's place. Stewart even proclaimed Andy Taylor "the new Jeff Beck", so things sounded promising. Unfortunately, it didn't last any longer than Power Station 1.0 did.

IceCreamBlondie
03-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Should be an interesting listen. I loved their "People Get Ready" single from the 80s...still have the 45 of it!