PDA

View Full Version : DVD Cover Art

ALMOSTsaved
03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Ever notice how back in the day, the cover art for movies on VHS was the same as the actual movie poster? However, nowadays if you buy a movie on DVD, the cover art is something totally different like a snapshot from the movie or some bullshit staged photo of the cast.

Why do the studios insist on tampering with the packaging?

Seshmeister
03-08-2011, 06:39 PM
I nearly started a thread about DVD cover spoilers the other week when I saw this.

http://famousmonstersoffilmland.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/planet_of_the_apes-dvd.jpg

What sort of a fucking idiot puts the final scene on the cover???

ashstralia
03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
perhaps the thinking is 'there can't be a generation x-er alive who hasn't seen this movie, better make sure they know it's the one with the statue of liberty at the end...'

twonabomber
03-08-2011, 08:46 PM
they did that to the Blues Brothers DVD too. think back to the font that was on the soundtrack album, probably the same font that Landis used on Werewolf In London, and over the credits of Trading Places. now the DVD cover almost makes it look slapsticky.

ashstralia
03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
i think most of the dvd market these days is people like us, building libraries. i recently bought 'withnail and i' even though i've seen it 30 odd times. wouldn't matter what was on the cover.

twonabomber
03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
i've been doing pretty good at the local used shop. i did buy the Larry Sanders Show box set new, but the majority of stuff i've bought lately has been used. Blu-Ray, too. the Blu-Ray Batman box was $100 new, got it used for $32.

and to build a library? borrow, rip to hard drive, return. :D

ashstralia
03-08-2011, 09:15 PM
do you guys reckon blu-ray is the go? i'm still on the old technology.

Seshmeister
03-08-2011, 11:27 PM
I've started selling all mine on EBay.

I realised I never watched them and in a couple of years I think everything will be on demand over internet cable to your TV anyway.

Actually you can do that already.

ELVIS
03-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Yep...

I don't buy DVDs...