PDA

View Full Version : Mike Starr of Alice in Chains Dead at 44

Diamondjimi
03-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Former 'Alice in Chains,' 'Celebrity Rehab' star dies in Salt Lake City

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - Mike Starr, the former bassist for Alice in Chains has died, according to police.

Police have confirmed that they checked a residence at 1:42 p.m. at 1986 South Richards Street in Salt Lake City on Tuesday, where they discovered Starr's body.

Starr was arrested for illegal prescription drug possession in Salt Lake City in February.

LINK (http://www.abc4.com/content/news/state/story/Former-Alice-in-Chains-Celebrity-Rehab-star-dies/QK3JrtdsEk6Vj1v_O0qhaA.cspx)

http://www.abc4.com/media/lib/5/a/4/f/a4ff6906-4b4a-4fae-b099-fd15dc707403/Original.jpg

R.I.P.

Diamondjimi
03-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Diamondjimi
03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeoDI623WFA

Hardrock69
03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Goddam! That fucking sucks!

I hung out with AIC at a strip club in late October of 1992, and Mike was the dude who I spoke with the most that night. A REALLY cool dude.
They were on tour with Sepultura and Ozzy, and I had a VIP pass for the concert the following night, and got to hang out just offstage with their guitar tech while watching their set.

Fucking hell man! 44? What a load of fucking shit! :mad:

Way too young! :(

sadaist
03-08-2011, 07:27 PM

Blaze
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
:(
rip

FORD
03-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Fuck..... I actually thought Mike was gonna make it. He appeared on a Celebrity Rehab "reunion" show just a few weeks ago, and he looked and sounded like he actually had his shit together. :(

VAiN
03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Sad. I got to see AIC in 91 when they opened for the not so mighty van hagar... I was hoping he'd pull it together and play with Jerry again. RIP Mike and say hello to Layne.

ELVIS
03-08-2011, 09:10 PM
That SUCKS!!

RIP dude...

:(

ashstralia
03-08-2011, 09:12 PM
rest in peace mike.

ELVIS
03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Sheen is next...

And BTW Charlie, having a lead role on a sitcom is a far cry from being a "bitchin' rock star Mars" or whatever...

You're more like a loser turd from uranus...

:elvis:

Seshmeister
03-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Prescription drugs seem to kill more famous people these days than illegal ones.

ELVIS
03-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Maybe we should give the illegal ones free prescription medication...

binnie
03-09-2011, 05:27 AM
R.I.P.

Such a sad ending.....

Va Beach VH Fan
03-09-2011, 07:29 AM
So many unnecessary deaths, it's tragic....

Kinda like how religion kills so many.....

Seshmeister
03-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Still I know which is more fun...

the atomic punk
03-09-2011, 07:41 AM
He appeared on a Celebrity Rehab "reunion" show just a few weeks ago,

There was his first mistake. Recovery as entertainment is never going to work. It only reinforces the addicts belief that they are "special". Right Charlie?

ThrillsNSpills
03-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Fuck..... I actually thought Mike was gonna make it. He appeared on a Celebrity Rehab "reunion" show just a few weeks ago, and he looked and sounded like he actually had his shit together. :(

There was one where he was talking to Layne's mother.
However anyone cuts or slices it's exploiting misery for a buck.
Shame ! rip Mike

Von Halen
03-09-2011, 09:57 AM
There was his first mistake. Recovery as entertainment is never going to work. It only reinforces the addicts belief that they are "special". Right Charlie?

Is Dr. Drew using recovery for entertainment, or is he simply offering a birds eye view to the harsh realities of what these "celebrities" are doing to themselves? Is he exploiting them, or is he educating the masses that think these people should get a free pass at every turn? What if Dr. Drew hadn't put Mike Starr on Celebrity rehab, and we hadn't gotten the opportunity to fucking feel his pain? We'd just be reading about another dead rocker, and it wouldn't have the same affect. A lot of people that have no knowledge of AIC, got to know Mike Starr through the show. Hopefully his death can have a POSITIVE affect on just one person that was watching, and they can succeed at not killing themselves with drugs. I have been involved with addictions my entire life, and I don't believe Dr. Drew is exploiting anyone. He is good at what he does. But in the end, he can't really help these people if they don't want to be helped. I am glad Celebrity Rehab is on, and if even one life is saved, celebrity or viewer, because of this show, then it is working.

RIP Mike Starr. Say hello to my fellow Michigander and fantasy football brother...

ELVIS
03-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Dr. Drew is for real...

Matt White
03-09-2011, 10:30 AM
RIP MIKE.....

Hope you find some peace brother.....

the atomic punk
03-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Is Dr. Drew using recovery for entertainment, or is he simply offering a birds eye view to the harsh realities of what these "celebrities" are doing to themselves? Is he exploiting them, or is he educating the masses that think these people should get a free pass at every turn?

He is exploiting them. The shows are edited for maximum entertainment value and then used to sell ad time. He isn't "educating" anybody.

What if Dr. Drew hadn't put Mike Starr on Celebrity rehab, and we hadn't gotten the opportunity to fucking feel his pain? We'd just be reading about another dead rocker, and it wouldn't have the same affect.

Because how his disease affects us is the important thing? To most people, he is still just that. Another dead junkie rock star. The show didn't change that and it obviously didn't change him.

A lot of people that have no knowledge of AIC, got to know Mike Starr through the show. Hopefully his death can have a POSITIVE affect on just one person that was watching, and they can succeed at not killing themselves with drugs.

Hopefully that is the case. But maybe if he had gotten real treatment in a program dedicated to treating his illness and not to producing an entertaining teevee show the life he saved could have been his own.

I have been involved with addictions my entire life,

Me too.

I am glad Celebrity Rehab is on, and if even one life is saved, celebrity or viewer, because of this show, then it is working.

I don't know how one would measure the success of the show in terms of saving lives, but I know how Dr. Drew and VH1 measure it. Ratings. All due respect to Mr. Starr, like everybody else I'm saddened by his passing.

ELVIS
03-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I DISAGREE...

Circle gets a square...

ELVIS
03-09-2011, 11:11 AM
:elvis:

jhale667
03-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Sucks. R.I.P. :(

ThrillsNSpills
03-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Dr. Drew is for real...

treating drug abuse with prescription drugs?

very clever

Diamondjimi
03-09-2011, 02:36 PM
There are more doctors getting people hooked on drugs than there are street dealers getting people hooked...