PDA

View Full Version : King's X

binnie
03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
This band have been on my list of artists to check out for years. I know that there are some fans here - where should I begin?

Any advice appreciated.

sonrisa salvaje
03-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I guess Gretchen Goes To Nebraska would be their most popular record. At least that was the one where they obtained recognition on MTV circa 1989 or 1990 and got the opening slot for AC/DC on the Razor's Edge tour. I saw them then.
They are definitely an acquired taste. I always found them rather boring.

SunisinuS
03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
The Guitarist is very good but they can be somewhat repetitive. I would consider myself a fan though. I do like the "Turbo - Beatles" phase that was Gretchen...and Faith Hope Love.

Kristy
03-09-2011, 10:37 PM
How about nowhere? Sorry, that band reminds me of "rebellious Christians' who listened to them in order to be cool.

FORD
03-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Yeah, but those are the hypocrites who burned their albums the minute Doug came out of the closet.

lesfunk
03-10-2011, 01:55 AM
Kings X are one hell of a band.
As a matter of fact I had a brush with fame when I actually sang with them on stage in Hartford Ct. It was the tour supporting the Ear Candy album and they were closing the show with Grand Funk's Closer to home. Doug pulled me up on stage (no, I don't think he wanted to cornhole me) and I sang it. No shit! Gerry Gaskill actually came out from behind his drum kit to shake my hand! Fuck! It was pretty damned cool.

Doug had heard me singing along earlier in the show ( I was right up front) during Over My Head and handed me the mike, I sang a bit and gave it back. He sang a bit and gave it back to me... etc...
Then at the end of the show he called me up out of the blue.

For the next installment of Les' true rock and Roll tales, I will tell about the time I almost ran over Gene Simmons with my Van.

lesfunk
03-10-2011, 02:04 AM

lesfunk
03-10-2011, 02:05 AM

binnie
03-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Cheers guys and gals - it seems like this band splits opinion.