PDA

View Full Version : 17 Years Late I Finally Hear The Full Album "Your Filthy Little Mouth".

Hardrock69
03-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Overall I am not impressed.

The song that impressed me the most was not even Dave's. It was "Night Life", and I recall seeing the video last year, and digging the vid. Very well done.

However, there is nothing about this album that truly rocks. The fucking producer made it sound like one of the laboratory sterile Gnashville cuntry albums I hear once in awhile. Where everything is so clean and so absolutely perfect that it bores the shit out of anyone who even gets close to it.

If you move to Gnashville and become a studio hack, you wind up losing any soul you had to begin with. That's what the album sounds like. No life at all. Compare it to the mighty Van Halen, or even EEAS or Skyscraper, and it is severely lacking in any kind of excitement or true Big Rock energy.

I will always commend Uncle Dave for following his own muse, a musical identity that is a neat combination of Al Jolson, Muddy Waters and Unpredictable Radioactive Mayhem, so I cannot say the album is bad.

I just personally find it lacking any kind of the sort of energy and/or excitement I want to hear on an Uncle Dave album.

Took me so long to listen to it, as his early 90s period never appealed to me really. "A Little Ain't Enough" was more rocking than this is, but it still was not even close to what I expected when it came out.

I found this CD at a used CD store today for 98 cents. And, it is a promotional copy, with the usual gold stamp on it that says "Not for sale. Promotional Copy. Must be returned to the Record Company on demand".

Well, the record company is not worthy to lick my fucking asshole, so I am keeping the motherfucker, and the record company can go to hell! :hee:

For the price, I had to get it. It is Uncle Dave after all, and being a promo copy, it might be considered almost collectible, and if I sold it on eBay, I might be able to make 23 cents on the deal. :biggrin:

hambon4lif
03-12-2011, 10:02 AM
It has its moments. "Night Life" is a decent cover. "Sunburn" has a cool laid-back vibe like "Coconut Grove" or "Black Sand". At the end of the day when you're done kicking the worlds ass, and you just want to cool your jets and decompress, those songs are perfect for that. (The solo on "Experience" is intoxicating IMO).

The fact that Dave chose Nile Rodgers to work the board shows it was a conscious decision to do something different. I wasn't expecting an album with 14 different versions of "Running With The Devil" anyways.

There are total trainwrecks on there (ironically one of them is called "Big Train"), but why dwell on that shit?

As far as his solo stuff it's his weakest link, but it's got its highs and lows.

twonabomber
03-12-2011, 02:25 PM
i like You're Breathin' It and Sunburn.

YFLM was the only local Dave show i didn't go to. i think the Stones' Voodoo Lounge tour stop was the same weekend.

FORD
03-12-2011, 03:48 PM
My interpretation of YFLM was always this.....

After Van Halen imploded, Vai & Sheehan left the fold to join cheese ballad factories, and Jason Becker got sick, Dave decides that it's not worth it trying to build another "big band", and this being 1994, musical times have changed anyway, and nobody's gonna believe it if he tries to do a "grunge" record.

So fuck it.... just call up my old friend Terry from the Red Ball Jets and do an "eclectic" album. A little R&B here, a little hip-hop there, a country duet with a guy who looks like Sobolewski over there. Concentrate on the songwriting, and just fucking go with it.

And that's what you get: Musically, not his strongest album. Lyrically, some of his best work ever. All things considered, I still like it better than SkyCrapper. Your mileage may vary......

FORD
03-12-2011, 03:59 PM
I do think he should have included "Crosstown Traffic" and "Mississippi Power" on the album however......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_1_PsrvGIo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZknj68Dnkc

indeedido
03-12-2011, 03:59 PM
The music on that album is so generic. I don't mind change in direction, but at least give it some sizzle and a little life. Should have let Niles play guitar on it and funk it up. Heck, put all of Chic on it and groove!

ELVIS
03-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I actually like Big Train...

Shaun Ponsonby
03-12-2011, 09:38 PM
There are a few belters on there. I wouldn't say it was much of a "rocking" album, obviously...and some of the experiments with other styles definitely failed. But, good on him for at least trying it. There are a handful of tracks that stand up, I think...

Interestingly, I recall "Everybody's Got the Monkey" being one of the least favourite DLR tracks around these ways, but I also remember about 5 or 6 years ago playing it for a friend of mine at the time and he absolutely loved it...so, what does that mean?

Hardrock69
03-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Like I said, kudos to Uncle Dave for following his muse.

He did what he wanted to do, and yes it has a laid back vibe to it.

Was only commenting on that aspect of it. It is a permanent part of my collection though. Won't unload it, though it is not going to be one of my favorite Dave outings.

Cato
03-13-2011, 08:53 AM
wrong forum....:cato2:

78/84 guy
03-13-2011, 02:06 PM
My interpretation of YFLM was always this.....

After Van Halen imploded, Vai & Sheehan left the fold to join cheese ballad factories, and Jason Becker got sick, Dave decides that it's not worth it trying to build another "big band", and this being 1994, musical times have changed anyway, and nobody's gonna believe it if he tries to do a "grunge" record.

So fuck it.... just call up my old friend Terry from the Red Ball Jets and do an "eclectic" album. A little R&B here, a little hip-hop there, a country duet with a guy who looks like Sobolewski over there. Concentrate on the songwriting, and just fucking go with it.

And that's what you get: Musically, not his strongest album. Lyrically, some of his best work ever. All things considered, I still like it better than SkyCrapper. Your mileage may vary......
Better than Skyscraper ?? Hardly !! It's a bad album. It has 4 well written songs on it. It's worse than any Van Hagar album. At least there is good music behind the lame lyrics on most of it. Dave was in a rut. If I was in the studio I would have told Dave he better go find a new hotshot guitar player because this isn't working !!

Mr Badguy
03-13-2011, 02:38 PM
I though this belonged in main, due to it's DLR subject matter.

FORD
03-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Actually, since it's specifically about one album, I'm going to punt to "songs and albums"......

ThrillsNSpills
03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
No big Ting.

Terry
03-14-2011, 10:41 PM

Me too. One of the stronger tunes on the album.

I dig the first three tracks. She's My Machine, Everybody's Got The Monkey and Big Train were a great way to kick the record off. Sunburn and Night Life were very good. The rest were sort of mixed results.

After the relative commercial underperformance of the ALAE album and tour, Roth probably surmised that his future with WB wasn't assured. Just a shift in musical tastes. The whole 'grunge' explosion seemed to at least temporarily sweep aside much of what represented American hard rock in the 1980s, and Roth was a visible icon of that era. Probably unfairly lumped in with the likes of the lesser bands that found success in the wake of CVH. By the time 1993 rolled around, making an album in the vein of EEAS, Skyscraper and the like would have likely generated little to no buzz, so why not do exactly whatever he wanted to? Much better than what 'Van Halen' and Aerosmith were engaging in during those years, which were retreads of past glories at best.

Bowanna
03-15-2011, 12:40 PM

I guess that makes 3... I have it in my favorites Folder on my mp3 player

Hardrock69
03-16-2011, 02:22 AM
No worries about moving this thread. I don't always get my threads in the right forum. Just most of the time, lol.

Anonymous
03-25-2011, 08:44 PM
The only fault I find with this album is that the musicians could be better.

I also question the wisdom of including a remix of the weakest song while leaving out Mississippi Power, but hey...

Other than that, you have to take the album for what it is - D-Ro experimenting away with several musical styles. It's one of my favourite albums - I'm including everyone & every band in this, not just Dave - exactly because of that.

Keep in mind that this isn't a well established band deviating grossly from the style that made them hugely successful & to which the fans are accustomed to.

It was an individual, with a studio band, having fun & experimenting.

I lurve it.

Cheers! :bottle:

binnie
03-31-2011, 06:20 PM
I've always found this record to be a lot of fun. Far from a classic, but I think its grown on me more and more over the years.....

kwame k
03-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Can't say I hate it either..........weird album but what the hell, damn near every band/artist has a WTF album and I've always liked this one for some reason.

sonrisa salvaje
04-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Better than Skyscraper ?? Hardly !! It's a bad album. It has 4 well written songs on it. It's worse than any Van Hagar album. At least there is good music behind the lame lyrics on most of it. Dave was in a rut. If I was in the studio I would have told Dave he better go find a new hotshot guitar player because this isn't working !!

If the song writing was as bad as you claim, what good would a hot shot guitar player have done? As for the Van Hager comment, your full of shit.