PDA

View Full Version : The movie Weird Science

Carloscda
03-13-2011, 01:19 PM
You know Dave is in the beginning, but did you know in the original release VH's Pretty Woman was in there?

The scene when they're in the mall, Kelly LeBrock(Lisa) is coming up the escalator. Robert Downey(Ian) & Robert Rusler(Max) was following her. The whole song is played.

Later on when shown on cable Dave was still in but the song was edited out?

chefcraig
03-13-2011, 01:27 PM
There was some sort of song publishing controversy (the same sort that prevented the release on home video of The Wonder Years, Miami Vice and WKRP in Cincinnati for years), and the VH version was removed for home video and cable use. This seems to have been resolved recently, as the song was included in the DVD release from a few years ago.

FORD
03-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Licensing bullshit really fucked up home video releases for a while. I remember renting a copy of "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" on VHS in the early 90's, and finding every single song in the soundtrack replaced with some generic instrumental dreck that even made the Hagar song in the film sound good, by comparison.

Thank God they resolved that bullshit by the time the DVD was released, because there's no way I would have bought the butchered version.

shaggydoo
03-13-2011, 09:12 PM
This sounds simlar to the sort of copyright / licensing problems that prevented the entire "music arc" from being put out on the DVD release of "Wise Guy"!

Ken Wahl was the best! Imagine allowing that abomination of a season with Steven Bauer to be shit out of the DVD factory's asshole, while some Ken Wahl stuff remains locked away forever, never to be seen! That is some fucked up bullshit!!!

Ya know, it just occurred to me there's something of a parallel between Wise Guy and Van Halen... at first they had someone cool, who then got replaced by a tool!

DystopianDude
03-16-2011, 10:26 PM
There's some Roth in Robocop too.

It's the scene where Clarence Boddiker pulls up to his hoodlums in his brand new SUX-9000 and presents them with some heavy artillery. They start blowing up storefronts in the street and one of the stores features a display window with a giant poster of the "Eat'em and Smile" album cover.