PDA

View Full Version : Ok Kids, Here It Comes: First Star Wars Film In 3D To Hit Theaters in February 2012

Hardrock69
03-14-2011, 10:57 AM
http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/03/03/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace-3d-release-date/

We all knew this was coming eventually, but now it's beginning to really hit home. 20th Century Fox has unveiled the release date for its first Star Wars 3D conversion, with 'The Phantom Menace' arriving in theaters on February 10th, 2012, just under a year from now. Commence George Lucas bathing in money jokes ... now.

It was previously announced that Lucas had finally decided to convert all six 'Star Wars' films to 3D and then re-release one episode each year beginning in 2012. As such, the episodes will be re-released on the big screen in order for the first time in the franchise's history.

This will also be a good opportunity for us to see how far 3D conversion has come, and whether it'll be a complete waste converting older films, or if the 3D will significantly add to the moviegoing experience, giving us a whole new way to watch our favorite films.

Do you think converting the 'Star Wars' films is a good idea, or will it only end with people hating on the franchise (and George Lucas) even more?

VAiN
03-14-2011, 12:39 PM
If done well I'm sure it'll be a good time. If nothing else, it's a chance to see some fun movies on the big screen again... I'll go check it out.

twonabomber
03-14-2011, 02:29 PM
i wonder if Lucas is going to fix anything else? Yoda wasn't CGI until Attack of the Clones, maybe clean that up some.

Seshmeister
03-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Are you guys not getting a bit old for this now?

VAiN
03-14-2011, 03:50 PM

Never! I love that shit...

Seshmeister
03-14-2011, 04:20 PM
After the second one it basically turned into Fraggle Rock but without the humor.

Sorry in a nerd thread I suppose I should call it the 5th one... :)

twonabomber
03-14-2011, 04:54 PM

i haven't bought any SW toys in a couple years. skipped the last convention, too!

Coyote
03-15-2011, 12:46 PM
No thanks, I'll stick to my non-3D movies...

Hardrock69
03-16-2011, 02:15 AM
Even though the official reason for playing this in theaters repeatedly is George Lucas has improved them somewhat on a technical level, at the very least it gives us the chance to see the original 3 films on the big screen again.

I mean answer this: How often do local theaters show the Star Wars films?

How many of you have a fucking screen that is 50 feet wide and 20 feet high in your home?

If nothing else, I relish the thought of being able to see the first three in 3-D on a big screen. I am talking about Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi.

The three prequels being what they are, I was not nearly as impressed with them as I was the original three in terms of story. Even though it is just one big epic story.

The only film series that comes close to this in terms of telling one story spread over several films is Lord Of The Rings.

James Bond does not count, as it is not "one story", more like "The continuing adventures of..."

bueno bob
03-16-2011, 04:44 PM

SHUT UP! :mad:

binnie
03-16-2011, 04:52 PM

We could probably say the same things about Van Halen.

FORD
03-17-2011, 02:18 AM
i wonder if Lucas is going to fix anything else? Yoda wasn't CGI until Attack of the Clones, maybe clean that up some.

I'll give Lucas a pass on that one. He really couldn't have pulled off that light saber battle with Muppet Yoda.

Seshmeister
03-17-2011, 06:34 AM
i wonder if Lucas is going to fix anything else?

How about some new dialogue...

Anakin Skywalker: You are so... beautiful.
Padmé: It's only because I'm so in love.
Anakin Skywalker: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.
Padmé: So love has blinded you?
Anakin Skywalker: [laughs] Well, that's not exactly what I meant.
Padmé: But it's probably true.

VanHalenFan5150
03-17-2011, 08:01 AM
It looks promising, I'm a huge SW fan.

Seshmeister
03-17-2011, 08:09 AM
And so you should be.

It's these old men I've having a go at... :D

ELVIS
03-17-2011, 09:20 AM
I've having vodka...:biggrin:

Happy patty day !!

Seshmeister
03-17-2011, 09:44 AM
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1949406&fullscreen=1" width="640" height="360" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" quality="best" value="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1949406&fullscreen=1"/><embed src="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1949406&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="360" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><div style="padding:5px 0; text-align:center; width:640px;">See more <a href="http://www.collegehumor.com/videos">funny videos</a> and <a href="http://www.collegehumor.com/pictures">funny pictures</a> at <a href="http://www.collegehumor.com/">CollegeHumor</a>.</div>

ELVIS
03-17-2011, 09:51 AM
haha...:biggrin:

Jesus Christ
03-18-2011, 02:45 AM

Happy patty day !!

I thought ye stopped drinking, Gregory?

Speaking of which, I'm turning water into Guinness for the occasion :gulp:

LoungeMachine
03-18-2011, 03:35 AM

Happy patty day !!

Try not to drink and drive this time....okay?

Jesus Christ
03-18-2011, 03:42 AM
It's OK. I turned his vodka into water. He probably won't even notice. :jesuslol:

ZahZoo
03-19-2011, 09:16 AM
And so you should be.

It's these old men I've having a go at... :D

Come on Sesh... your warranty period for being a punk expired 10 years ago!! Give in to the dark side of age...

Digitally remastered, big screen, 3D... this could work...

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/110113-carrie-fisher-bikini-hmed-10a.grid-6x2.jpg

FORD
03-19-2011, 02:29 PM
You won't see Princess Leia looking like that again. She's doing Jenny Craig ads now. (or is it Weight Watchers? I forget)

Seshmeister
03-22-2011, 10:12 AM
More like Stannah Stairlift

chefcraig
03-22-2011, 12:47 PM
The only film series that comes close to this in terms of telling one story spread over several films is Lord Of The Rings.

James Bond does not count, as it is not "one story", more like "The continuing adventures of..."

What about Rocky or even (gasp) Star Trek? Hell, LOTR only had 3 films (not counting The Hobbit, if and when that ever gets started), so by that manner of thinking, the epic trilogies of Smokey & the Bandit and Rambo films would meet the standard, as well. :)

Hardrock69
03-22-2011, 08:52 PM
What about Rocky or even (gasp) Star Trek? Hell, LOTR only had 3 films (not counting The Hobbit, if and when that ever gets started), so by that manner of thinking, the epic trilogies of Smokey & the Bandit and Rambo films would meet the standard, as well. :)

True that Rocky and Star Trek had a buncha films, but my definition here does concern "Epic", and I personally don't think Rocky or Star Trek even come close. They are more like episodes in a TV series.
Just my opinion.

chefcraig
03-22-2011, 09:07 PM
True that Rocky and Star Trek had a buncha films, but my definition here does concern "Epic", and I personally don't think Rocky or Star Trek even come close. They are more like episodes in a TV series.
Just my opinion.

Man, if you haven't, pick up a copy of Bill Shatner's Star Trek Movie Memories. For one thing, it's funny as hell. For another, it really is astounding to see just how strangely those first five films were put together, in some cases almost on the fly. In many ways, the egos involved (along with the jockeying for a position of power) had more to do with how the films turned out than the actual scripts or budgets.