PDA

View Full Version : What's John Sykes' best material ?

ThrillsNSpills
03-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't know anything about this guy but he can play and it sounds interesting so for you shredheads I'm curious about where his best playing can be found...

Thanks in Advance

Cato
03-16-2011, 07:19 PM
I don't know about him well either but I have a couple of DVD's that feature him.

*Thin LIzzy - John Sylkes era compilation
Regal Theatre, Hitchin
1. Jailbreak
2. This is the One
3. Cold Sweat
4. The Sun Goes Down
5. The Holy War
6. The Boys Are Back In Town
7. Rosalie
8. Baby Please Don't Go

Dublin, Ireland
1. Thunder and Lightning
2. Baby Please Don't Go
3. Angel of Death
4. Are You Ready
5. Cold Sweat
6. The Sun Goes Down
7. Emerald
8. Still In Love With You
9. Medley

In Concert 3
1. Thunder and Lightning

Saturday Stayback
1. Cold Sweat

The Tube
1. The Boys Are Back In Town
2. The Sun Goes Down
3. Cold Sweat

*Solo show at the Galaxy, LA. JUne 23, 1995
1. We All Fall Down
2. Cold Sweat
3. Interview
4. Standing At The Crossroads
5. Billy
6. She Knows
7. Jelly Roll
8. I Don't Believe In Anything
9. Still Of The Night
10. Interview
11. Riot(cut off)
12. Interview
13. I Don't Wanna Live My Life Like You

send me a PM if you are interested in them.

hambon4lif
03-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Tygers Of Pan Tang- Spellbound

Blue Murder- Blue Murder

ashstralia
03-16-2011, 10:01 PM
yeah the blue murder album has some beautiful playing on it... great tones too, but mostly cheesy songs.

Seshmeister
03-16-2011, 10:05 PM
All I ever heard from that was from this video.

The visuals put me off, all that wet topless man thing.

Maybe I should go back and actually listen to the rest of the album.

hambon4lif
03-16-2011, 10:15 PM
yeah the blue murder album has some beautiful playing on it... great tones too, but mostly cheesy songs."Jelly Roll" is a fun song to play (though it was a bitch to learn).

The playing is awesome on that album, what irritates me are the vocals.

Ray Gillen actually sang the vocals on the Blue Murder demo, but he had the Badlands gig (another badass band) taking off at the same time.

......I really wish I could hear that damn demo.

ashstralia
03-16-2011, 10:16 PM
wow never seen that before, sesh. that is a bit ummm.. weird.:) but from a purely musical p.o.v. there is some good stuff with the cheese

Seshmeister
03-16-2011, 10:24 PM
The 'Love could break your heart' bit goes one for about twice as long as it should but the other big problem is that a big woose sitting outside in the rain shouting that is probably just as weak to a girl as it is for a guy.

I would have had him in a bar playing with the scantily clad model out in the rain. That way maybe he would have had a hit. :)

jhale667
03-16-2011, 10:29 PM
I still think "Valley of the Kings" has one of his best solos ever...

Had totally forgotten about the Blue Murder/Ray Gillen connection...bet that demo is right up there with Sabbath's "Eternal Idol"as far as demand and collect-ability...

hambon4lif
03-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Had totally forgotten about the Blue Murder/Ray Gillen connection...bet that demo is right up there with Sabbath's "Eternal Idol"as far as demand and collect-ability...I've been looking for it for years and years. I can't help but wonder how he would dig into this material.

I nominate "We All Fall Down" as a killa' riff!

Seshmeister
03-16-2011, 10:45 PM
I still think "Valley of the Kings" has one of his best solos ever...

First time I've heard it.

Is it not lacking a bit of melody like some of the stuff on the B side of the Whitesnake album?

I know it wasn't the most original piece of music that was ever recorded but I think his best moment was 'Still of the Night'. There is something really special about the guitar tone and phrasing in places in that which can give the chills down the spine.

Plus if the Blue Murder video director had done this one we would have had Coverdale sitting putting powder on before strutting around a car park in hot pants changing rock music history forever.

jhale667
03-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Kind of a ripoff, "Still of the Night" being another epic Sykes solo, and there's Vivian Campbell miming it in the video... :umm:

jhale667
03-16-2011, 11:46 PM
OH, and I strongly suggest finding a copy of Thin Lizzy's "Thunder and Lightning"... then check out how melodic Sykes already was, on tunes like "Holy War"... :killer:

ELVIS
03-17-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm here to bring the whine to this cheese thread...

http://onewhitetree.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/crybaby-12.jpg

:biggrin:

Seshmeister
03-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Who are you, Rocks Chosen Warrior?

Etienne
03-17-2011, 12:47 PM
http://www.allmusic.com/album/1987-r52594

Whitesnake - 1987

...full of great John Sykes guitar moments...

indeedido
03-17-2011, 01:23 PM
I wore out that Blue Murder album when it first came out. Loved it. I still put it on from time to time.

ELVIS
03-17-2011, 01:45 PM

Hmmm...

Maybe so eh ??

jhale667
03-17-2011, 04:25 PM

More like the site's self-appointed resident douche. Back on topic...

jhale667
03-17-2011, 04:29 PM
I wore out that Blue Murder album when it first came out. Loved it. I still put it on from time to time.

Me too, there's some great playing on that CD.
His main amp for that era and the Whitesnake album was the same one I've got...a Mesa-Boogie MK III. I mentioned to him that I also had one while shooting the shit with him back in my music retail days, and he was like "You've got one too? Do those amps not ROCK? I looooove the Boogie!" I guess he's primarily using Marshalls these days, but his "signature" sound is indeed a MK III...

:guitar:

jhale667
03-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Particularly interesting in this one is Sykes grabbing the string behind the bridge during the solo for vibrato...

Seshmeister
03-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Me too, there's some great playing on that CD.
His main amp for that era and the Whitesnake album was the same one I've got...a Mesa-Boogie MK III. I mentioned to him that I also had one while shooting the shit with him back in my music retail days, and he was like "You've got one too? Do those amps not ROCK? I looooove the Boogie!"

You should have immediately started this...

ELVIS
03-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Does that video not ROCK?

Mushroom
03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Thin Lizzy - thunder and lightning. His best.

Blue Murder was a solid rocking album.

Whitesnake displays some of his greatest solos. First stop: "Crying In The Rain". But don't be fooled by "Hear I Go Again" -- that's Adrian Vandenburg. Coincidentally, both of those songs are remakes from Whitesnake's Saints and Sinners record.

Whitesnake Slide It In (U.S. version) is pretty damn good, but he did not write any of that material.

jhale667
03-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Thin Lizzy - thunder and lightning. His best.

Blue Murder was a solid rocking album.

Whitesnake displays some of his greatest solos. First stop: "Crying In The Rain". But don't be fooled by "Hear I Go Again" -- that's Adrian Vandenburg. Coincidentally, both of those songs are remakes from Whitesnake's Saints and Sinners record.

Whitesnake Slide It In (U.S. version) is pretty damn good, but he did not write any of that material.

IIRC Sykes was a last-minute edition when Mel Galley badly broke his arm midway through the recording of that CD. You can tell he didn't get to fully cut loose on that one, though he's still fairly impressive even in that somewhat muted performance.

You should have immediately started this...

That's comparing apples to flamethrowers, dude. NO. :hee:

:guitar:

ThrillsNSpills
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Did I say John Sykes I meant the guy from Huey Lewis....

(still trying to forgive him for playing the Purple Haze riff during the Want a new Drug solo)

thanks all

Mushroom
03-19-2011, 05:36 AM
John Sykes & Phil Lynott - Don't Hurt Me This Way -- 2 Different versions!!

If this doesn't touch you, then what the hell will!!

The Original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNPT7F5xa44

John Sykes' 1997 remake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRt4SK8THBg

Mushroom
03-19-2011, 05:45 AM
Killer tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYv3Y36bs54

Caution! At all costs you must avoid Whitesnake after John Sykes!!!!

Diamondjimi
04-04-2011, 07:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNPT7F5xa44

John Sykes' 1997 remake

Always dug this tune. Shame that 'ol Phillo ain't around to enjoy his legendary status. Rock and Roll could use a talent like Phil these days...

rocking ron
06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Liked him most during his Tygers of Pantang period!!

"Tygers of Pantang" is one of my favourite NWOBHM-bands but after their 4th lp/cd they get to 'poppy'!!! :barf:

binnie
06-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Tygers of Pang Tang must be one of the worst band names ever. Didn't they cover 'Love Potion No. 9' at some point?

the early material was fun from what i remember though.

rocking ron
06-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Yep, Love Potion no 9 is from the album : The Cage their 4th and most poppy one till then but after 'the cage' it went some kind of 'soft pop' hahaha

But their singer was a good one : Jon Deverill, after his career ( they turned their name in Tyger Tyger for a while) he became a teacher!!!

Singer on their first album was Jess Cox!!!

Diamondjimi
06-15-2011, 11:21 PM
The Tygers should've stayed on the path of the Spellbound album. After that they got cheesier and cheesier...

Jess Cox was kinda lame. I thought Deverill was a great singer with his own sound. Too bad he gave up R&R.....

Coyote
06-16-2011, 12:35 AM
John Sykes & Phil Lynott - Don't Hurt Me This Way -- 2 Different versions!!

If this doesn't touch you, then what the hell will!!

The Pretty Maids version:

rocking ron
06-16-2011, 05:59 PM
The Tygers should've stayed on the path of the Spellbound album. After that they got cheesier and cheesier...

Jess Cox was kinda lame. I thought Deverill was a great singer with his own sound. Too bad he gave up R&R.....

That's right, but I must say I still like the album after Spellbound called "Crazy Nights" and after that one it's not 'heavy' anymore!!!

They're still playing live with 1 original member but it's .................................................. ( over?)

"WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD TIMES GONE!?????????"

houseofpain
01-10-2012, 02:07 AM
John Sykes - Bad Boy Live
Cold Sweat, Thunder and Lightning! Jelly Roll, Bad Boy, Cryin in the rain, and the most awesome version of still of the night.

Etienne
01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAYxa8xegwA

:rockin:

Mr Walker
01-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Sykes formed a new band with that dumbass drummer Mike Portnoy... not sure why I don't like him.

I'll have to dig my Spellbound LP out of the closet after going through this thread.

Mr Walker
01-15-2012, 10:30 PM
I guess I can forget about finding my vinyl copy of 'Spellbound'.
If you don't take advantage of this vinyl transfer it's your loss... just look at the guy's equipment and process... unreal!

http://avaxhome.ws/hraphile/vinyl/tygers_speelbound.html

Matt White
01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
In retrospection...this belongs in HOM

gbranton
01-16-2012, 04:33 PM
If you just had to buy one album, I would say this is the one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Boy-Live-John-Sykes/dp/B000O784B6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326749495&sr=8-1

Sykes' solo stuff, Whitesnake and Thin Lizzy together in one package with John playing guitar AND singing lead vocals.

Mr Walker
01-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Posted at MR...
SYKES GOES AWOL AGAIN:
John Sykes fans are going to have to wait even longer for any sign of new music as I can confirm today that the guitarist has pulled out of the much hyped John Sykes/Mike Portnoy project. There is no official reason or statement at this point, but it is understood that a new guitarist will step into the picture, the band also featuring a very well-known and popular big bassist.

Chong Li
02-08-2012, 10:01 PM
John Sykes - Bad Boy Live
Cold Sweat, Thunder and Lightning! Jelly Roll, Bad Boy, Cryin in the rain, and the most awesome version of still of the night.

THIS. Not an obvious choice, but its really cool to hear him solo. And SINGING Whitesnake songs. He does a damn good job.

philouze
02-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Slip Of The Tongue is great, no matter what. (yeah, I know, Sykes is not on it)
Thunder & Lightning is pure class, top to bottom.
Blue Murder ? Well... Not bad.
Slide It In & 1987 are just excellent.

And if you still ask yourself what is the best Sykes material, fuck off and ask Eddie Trunk. Hehe.

Mushroom
03-07-2013, 09:41 PM
This needs a bump! It's John fucking Sykes! :rockin:

DLR Bridge
03-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Saw Blue Murder at Toad's Place in CT back in '88 or '89. Definitely a smokin' guitarist, but just like Zakk Wylde, he's got that signature harmonic that he pops all over the place. After an hour and a half of that you're like 'uhhggg!! enough with that already!!' I don't know how he kept his Les Paul in tune with said bend-the-shit-out-of-the-string-behind-the-nut trick. He had, or I should say, has such great tone and ability and clearly is the reason the Whitesnake CD with Still Of The Night was so damn good. Not too many guitarists have ever gotten as decent of a clean sound on a Les Paul as he has. I'll always remember all 3 guys in the band having puffy pirate shirts on. They too must have unknowingly agreed to the low-talkers request to wear them. :dork:

Coyote
02-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Bump.