PDA

View Full Version : new Foo Fighters

ThrillsNSpills
03-18-2011, 06:16 PM
love the drum part even if it was heard first on YYZ.
I haven't followed them much since Color and the Shape but this one's got a good kick to it.

VAiN
03-18-2011, 06:31 PM
This album sounds like it'll be a rocker... they got Butch Vig on board to produce. I'm looking forward to catching them in concert soon. They're a great live band, I strongly recommend them to anyone who hasn't had the opportunity.

Here's the other single, White Limo:

binnie
03-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Sounds like they're being more adventurous and raw.

I do think that Grohl had a look at Josh Homme's songbook, however.

sadaist
03-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Foo Fighters are so much better than Nirvana ever was. I saw them open for the Police in 2007 and they were terrific. Dave Grohl is a very talented dude. Looking forward to listening to this stuff.

binnie
03-19-2011, 11:26 AM
I always like Nirvana, but they suffer from being overplayed.

'In Utero' was a really, really interesting record. 'Unplugged' also showed how versatile, and emotive, they could be.

Foo Fighters are a lot of fun though. They often release patchy albums, but you can't argue with 'The Colour and the Shape.'

Jérôme Frenchise
03-20-2011, 06:14 AM
This album sounds like it'll be a rocker... they got Butch Vig on board to produce. I'm looking forward to catching them in concert soon. They're a great live band, I strongly recommend them to anyone who hasn't had the opportunity.

Here's the other single, White Limo:

Is it Lemmy at the wheel? :D

I've always dug Dave Grohl's drumming, drive and attitude. He was the colour in Nirvana IMO. A very funny, easy-going guy, playing some very catchy stuff (which is less obvious on these two tunes, though).

To me, the voices are the weak link in there... Too soft in the first single, and too cougarish in the second.

Mr Walker
03-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Funny that I found this thread...
I was just coming here to share some thoughts on Grohl and his band after reading this article late last week...

Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl has told the Hollywood Reporter that he and his bandmates will not give permission for "Times Like These" to be used on "Glee."

"It's every band's right, you shouldn't have to do fucking 'Glee,' "Grohl said after the premiere of the documentary "Foo Fighters: Back and Forth," at South By Southwest. "And then the guy who created 'Glee' is so offended that we're not, like, begging to be on his fucking show. . . . Fuck that guy for thinking anybody and everybody should want to do 'Glee.' "

After that I asked myself... why am I not a fan of this guy and his music?
I had the self titled disc when it first came out but since then I never really got into the band's catalog apart from what I would catch here and there... I guess I felt it was going to be a one off throwaway kind of thing so I never subscribed to the band.
This dude has so much rock cred apart from the whole Nirvana thing (hangs with Lemmy, jams with Page and JPJ, did an album with fuckers like Cronos and King Diamond (Probot), played drums on the first Tenacious D album and a lot more).
I made it a point to secure their back catalog this weekend in prep for the upcoming film, cd and tour and I will make sure that i catch a show when they are in my area.
Feels like the right thing to do.

binnie
03-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Mr Walker.

Start with 'The Colour and the Shape' (their best); then go on to 'In Your Honor'.

There are plenty of good tunes on 'Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace', 'One By One' and 'There is Nothing Left To Lose', but they are patchy affairs. Foo Fighters are a great rock band, though. High energy with pop sensibilites - nothing wrong with that.

If you haven't already, check out his drumming on Queens Of The Stone Age 'Songs For the Deaf' and the 'Them Crooked Vultures' albums (both great discs.)

Mr Walker
03-21-2011, 01:04 PM
I've been listening to different tracks over the weekend... this morning at work I queued up 'The Colour & The Shape', 'E,S,P&G' and now I'm onto the live 'Skin & Bones'.

VAiN
03-21-2011, 06:03 PM
If you haven't already, check out his drumming on Queens Of The Stone Age 'Songs For the Deaf' and the 'Them Crooked Vultures' albums (both great discs.)

+1 on this... both are awesome CDS... Them Crooked Vultures really rock and are very different.

chefcraig
03-21-2011, 07:08 PM
(I wish this had been filmed professionally and released by now. Sorry for the dodgy quality, as it's an audience clip.)

Three years to the day later, this is still one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Imagine, you are at a Foo Fighter's show, thinking of taking a bathroom break during Taylor Hawkins' drum solo, and these fuckers just happen to walk out on stage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Ramu397UQ

RUSH Legends Jam With FOO FIGHTERS In Toronto; Video Available - Mar. 23, 2008

BLABBERMOUTH (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=93474)

According to the Sun Media, RUSH singer-bassist Geddy Lee and guitarist Alex Lifeson surprised the crowd by showing up about an hour into the FOO FIGHTERS' two-hour-and-10-minute performance to play with drummer Taylor Hawkins during his drum solo and the three musicans then played "YYZ", a spiralling progressive-rock instrumental from RUSH's 1981 album "Moving Pictures".

The Toronto prog-rockers injected some much-needed energy and excitement into the proceedings and Hawkins even had a hug for Lee afterwards.

"Rush! Rush!" screamed FOO FIGHTERS leader Dave Grohl in amazement as the two musicians walked off stage.

"You've got nuts the size of grapefruits," said Grohl to Hawkins after he played with Lee and Lifeson.

The members of the two bands know each other through Nick Raskulinecz, a U.S. record producer who has worked with both groups, most recently on RUSH's "Snakes & Arrows" album in 2007.

binnie
03-21-2011, 07:28 PM
It must hard being Taylor Hawkins - being the second best drummer in your own band.....

chefcraig
04-08-2011, 06:49 PM
VH 1 is running some sort of documentary this evening on the band's history and the making of the Foo's latest album. Check your local listings, ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBArTIXhUcg&feature=player_embedded

ashstralia
04-08-2011, 07:05 PM
grohley is an honorary aussie. coupla stories. years ago foos played the 'big day out' festival up here on the gold coast. a popular transport option for the artists to get from accom to venue is moped hire. so grohley gets pulled over and breath tested, tests positive, he actually flew all the way back a few months later to attend local court in person. way cool. the trapped beaconsfield miners were fans of the band. grohley has not only met and beered on with them a few times, he wrote a song about 'em. last weekend they played a big outdoor show in brisbane, all proceeds to the queensland flood appeal. what a fucking stand out champion human.:appl::rockon:

clarathecarrot
04-09-2011, 12:15 AM
VH 1 is running some sort of documentary this evening on the band's history and the making of the Foo's latest album. Check your local listings, ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBArTIXhUcg&feature=player_embedded

The doc was commercial free and time lined from the Nirvana craze and before, (the different musicians and bands that have made up Grol and other musicians) interesting.

They have taken the time to give something back to the fans and that is what I dig.

I will be at the store within a day or so of this new release .

P.S. I also dig in the garden.

Vote Vegetable.

ashstralia
04-09-2011, 01:05 AM
blaze, do you really need an alias?:)

Golden AWe
04-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Yup, can't compete with "The Colour and The Shape". One of my most listened records, ever. "Everlong" and "New Way Home" rank among the best and most catchy "rock pop rock" tunes ever.

The albums after that have had their moments, but "Colour" is still the best.

The new one sounds interesting. I saw them back in 2008, and it looked like the Foo Fighters have entered the "mammoth band" status, but I'm glad they seem to survive.

Them Crooked Vultures was a bit of a disappointment though.

indeedido
04-09-2011, 09:41 AM
That flying V in the new video used to belong to the guitarist in Motorhead. Dave bought it from him and you can see it in the Ace of Spades performance from The Young Ones from the early '80s. Check it...

Blaze
04-09-2011, 10:11 AM
blaze, do you really need an alias?:)

Missed me already did ya, Ashley ;) ? I have spludge ya here. I would not recognize the Foo Fighters if you put them in a line-up. Prior to this thread, had I been asked what genre the Foos were, I would have said pop with a lean toward electronic dance.

Numb-nuts up there, clarathecarrot, is attempting an angry shrine.. err, rather a disingenuous shrine.

As someone says so well - Carry on. :baaa:

clarathecarrot
04-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Missed me already did ya, Ashley ;) ? I have spludge ya here. I would not recognize the Foo Fighters if you put them in a line-up. Prior to this thread, had I been asked what genre the Foos were, I would have said pop with a lean toward electronic dance.

Numb-nuts up there, clarathecarrot, is attempting an angry shrine.. err, rather a disingenuous shrine.

As someone says so well - Carry on. :baaa:

Perhaps,... you could help me with my pop-up book ? I need a forward / backend reverse cowgirl to assist me with the full release notes.

The shape needs some editing, stretching and perhaps some input.

Working title; Jump Up And Down On This.:deadhorse:

Terry
04-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Funny that I found this thread...
I was just coming here to share some thoughts on Grohl and his band after reading this article late last week...

Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl has told the Hollywood Reporter that he and his bandmates will not give permission for "Times Like These" to be used on "Glee."

"It's every band's right, you shouldn't have to do fucking 'Glee,' "Grohl said after the premiere of the documentary "Foo Fighters: Back and Forth," at South By Southwest. "And then the guy who created 'Glee' is so offended that we're not, like, begging to be on his fucking show. . . . Fuck that guy for thinking anybody and everybody should want to do 'Glee.' "

After that I asked myself... why am I not a fan of this guy and his music?
I had the self titled disc when it first came out but since then I never really got into the band's catalog apart from what I would catch here and there... I guess I felt it was going to be a one off throwaway kind of thing so I never subscribed to the band.
This dude has so much rock cred apart from the whole Nirvana thing (hangs with Lemmy, jams with Page and JPJ, did an album with fuckers like Cronos and King Diamond (Probot), played drums on the first Tenacious D album and a lot more).
I made it a point to secure their back catalog this weekend in prep for the upcoming film, cd and tour and I will make sure that i catch a show when they are in my area.
Feels like the right thing to do.

I dig the new single.

The Foos are probably one of the best practicioners of widely distributed straight-up American hard guitar rock left standing these days. Not that hard of a feat considering the current state of rock, but it's not a case of them being mediocre and only seeming to be good because the rest of it is varying degrees of shite.

I'd still say the first two Foo albums were the best from start-to-finish, but they're...what...fifteen years into their existence and still banging out good stuff like Rope. I wouldn't rank Grohl's music or abilities quite in the same league as the true rock giants in my book, but for his time he's among the better rock musicians out there.

SunisinuS
04-10-2011, 01:05 AM
I dig the new single.

The Foos are probably one of the best practicioners of widely distributed straight-up American hard guitar rock left standing these days. Not that hard of a feat considering the current state of rock, but it's not a case of them being mediocre and only seeming to be good because the rest of it is varying degrees of shite.

I'd still say the first two Foo albums were the best from start-to-finish, but they're...what...fifteen years into their existence and still banging out good stuff like Rope. I wouldn't rank Grohl's music or abilities quite in the same league as the true rock giants in my book, but for his time he's among the better rock musicians out there.

I posted the link to their new single over two weeks ago. Thank you for attending the meetin'.

ThrillsNSpills
04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
http://wastinglight.foofighters.com/

stream the album

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/02/watch-foo-fighters-perform-their-new-album-in-its-entirety/

watch it performed live

Terry
04-11-2011, 10:10 PM
I posted the link to their new single over two weeks ago. Thank you for attending the meetin'.

The older I get, the much longer it takes me to keep up with anything new in terms of realtime response, so two weeks is actually pretty good by those diminished standards:baaa:

ashstralia
04-13-2011, 05:12 AM
and the video for 'next year' is classic. in fact all of their early vids were. i remember a time when new foo's clips were anticipated with an almost rothian fervour.:)

edit
years ago, a kid came to his lesson after the big day out. i says, 'so what did ya learn from your first big rock show, kid?'
he says, 'the foo fighters are the best rock band. my hero is their best song. i wanna learn that.'

that kid is kicking arse in his own career now. g'day ryan, love ya mate.

ashstralia
04-13-2011, 05:36 AM
and thanks for the original post, thrills. you rock dude :beers8:

CROWBAR
04-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Somewhere out there, I'm sure Courtney Love must be really pissed off at all the success Dave Grohl is having these days!

while she still drags her cooch through the gutters of L.A.

VAiN
04-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Somewhere out there, I'm sure Courtney Love must be really pissed off at all the success Dave Grohl is having these days!

Yeah, sometimes I wonder how much of Kurt's money she has left.. She's such a filthy cunt.

CROWBAR
04-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah, sometimes I wonder how much of Kurt's money she has left.. She's such a filthy cunt.

I can't stand that skank. They should have her picture next to that word in the dictionary.

ELVIS
04-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Gotta pick this one up and leave Forevermore in the bargain bin...

chefcraig
04-13-2011, 09:54 AM

binnie would still hit it. :bananasex:

binnie
04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Damn right.

I might leave it a year or too though, right until she has that 'will work for food' look in her eyes. :D

Mr. Vengeance
04-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Just a great band. Good album too. Interesting to see Pat Smear back in the band.

Blaze
04-15-2011, 07:07 PM
<OBJECT classid= <PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F3df33bc9-b472-4a38-bec0-970ee9eb60fa&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate"><PARAM NAME="quality" VALUE="high"><PARAM NAME="bgcolor" VALUE="#FFFFFF"><PARAM NAME="allowscriptaccess" VALUE="always"><embed src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F3df33bc9-b472-4a38-bec0-970ee9eb60fa&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate" id="Player_3df33bc9-b472-4a38-bec0-970ee9eb60fa" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="Player_3df33bc9-b472-4a38-bec0-970ee9eb60fa" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" height="280px" width="336px"></embed></OBJECT> <NOSCRIPT><A HREF="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F3df33bc9-b472-4a38-bec0-970ee9eb60fa&Operation=NoScript">Amazon.com Widgets</A></NOSCRIPT>

<OBJECT classid= <PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F7cc97cc8-6df5-459f-8f4f-ebb07f4e5e7e&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate"><PARAM NAME="quality" VALUE="high"><PARAM NAME="bgcolor" VALUE="#FFFFFF"><PARAM NAME="allowscriptaccess" VALUE="always"><embed src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F7cc97cc8-6df5-459f-8f4f-ebb07f4e5e7e&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate" id="Player_7cc97cc8-6df5-459f-8f4f-ebb07f4e5e7e" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="Player_7cc97cc8-6df5-459f-8f4f-ebb07f4e5e7e" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" height="280px" width="336px"></embed></OBJECT> <NOSCRIPT><A HREF="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F7cc97cc8-6df5-459f-8f4f-ebb07f4e5e7e&Operation=NoScript">Amazon.com Widgets</A></NOSCRIPT>

<OBJECT classid=<PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F8edf04ef-269b-47bc-9925-3979fe739bb2&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate"><PARAM NAME="quality" VALUE="high"><PARAM NAME="bgcolor" VALUE="#FFFFFF"><PARAM NAME="allowscriptaccess" VALUE="always"><embed src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F8edf04ef-269b-47bc-9925-3979fe739bb2&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate" id="Player_8edf04ef-269b-47bc-9925-3979fe739bb2" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="Player_8edf04ef-269b-47bc-9925-3979fe739bb2" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" height="280px" width="336px"></embed></OBJECT> <NOSCRIPT><A HREF="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F8edf04ef-269b-47bc-9925-3979fe739bb2&Operation=NoScript">Amazon.com Widgets</A></NOSCRIPT>

Terry
04-15-2011, 10:17 PM

Yeah, but Live Through This is just as brilliant as the Foos at their absolute best, so she'll always have that...for whatever that is worth these days.

Terry
04-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Just a great band. Good album too. Interesting to see Pat Smear back in the band.

Probably not a coincidence that Smear rejoins and Rope is the first Foos stuff since The Colour and the Shapethat struck me right out of the box as great.

SunisinuS
04-15-2011, 10:45 PM
I just think. Dave seems to be a Name after God's own heart.

Keep that flame alive.

Golden AWe
04-16-2011, 09:01 PM
After some time with this album, I must say it's no "Colour and the shape". Doesn't mean it's no good, but somehow this band manages to make GREAT songs, but forgettable albums. In my opinion. And "forgettable" doesn't mean I don't listen to them, it's just that a year later after they're released, I'm dying to hear them on tour and have some of those songs on my head, but the album is not on my playlist anymore.

SunisinuS
04-17-2011, 04:26 AM
That flying V in the new video used to belong to the guitarist in Motorhead. Dave bought it from him and you can see it in the Ace of Spades performance from The Young Ones from the early '80s. Check it...

Wow Thanks! My 1985 Hondo Flying V was "gifted" to my land lord.....Fucker. Had that guitar for 20 years.

binnie
04-17-2011, 12:19 PM
It's not as complete as 'The COlour and the Shape', but its is their best album since by some distance. Next to no filler, which is rare for the Foos.

78/84 guy
04-18-2011, 06:25 PM
It's a great album. If you like them you will love it. I think it's their best yet.

Little Texan
09-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I picked this up the other day. It's not near as good as Colour, but nothing they do will ever match that album. There are a few gems, though, such as Walk. I used to think that Everlong was the Foo's best song, but Walk has replaced it. This song is so good, it's an absolute sonic eargasm. Wasting Light as a whole doesn't hold a candle to Colour, but it is by far their best work since that album.

ThrillsNSpills
09-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Always loved this one.

This one's pretty explosive.

SunisinuS
09-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Yea I know it was posted before and will be posted again...that what makes it sarcastironic.

1 year short of one week and this was me...even at this late day.

Roth On!

Love the FooFight Sticker on the wagon... Co-Exist.

binnie
09-22-2011, 03:54 AM
Still loving this album. It really is infectious.

Northern Girl
09-29-2011, 07:21 PM
There are a few gems, though, such as Walk. This song is so good, it's an absolute sonic eargasm.

I had the same reaction. It saved the album for me. I hit the repeat button and let it go over and over for a couple hours. Couldn't get enough.

For Foo lovers, I highly recommend their new DVD Back and Forth. Great documentary of the band. They even talk about Nirvana days and Kurt.

Seshmeister
09-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Just stumbled across a little bit of rock history, first live Nirvana appearance on TV, 20 years ago in the UK...

http://youtu.be/YgxkAXqP6kY

Bit rough and Cobain already cuntstruck...

Shaun Ponsonby
09-30-2011, 10:38 AM
I never tire of telling people that I was THERE when this fucking happened...

...and I saw PRINCE the day after. So, overall it was a fucking successful weekend.

This is fucking awesome too...

Little Texan
12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
I've had this album for a few months now, and have been listening to it on and off, and I now like it better than Colour! This one is a grower, for sure, and it has grown on me more than any other album I've ever listened to. Miss The Misery has become a favorite, as well as A Matter Of Time, and Walk, of course. Excellent album, and by far the album of the year.

78/84 guy
12-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I checked them out when they came too town, great show ! Not a huge fan but their good songs are great. Not too many good rock bands left. Love the new CD. Worth checking out.

Northern Girl
12-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Hey everybody,

Dave here. It's been quite a while since I've sat down to write something for you guys, but as we're coming to the end of an amazing tour and an amazing year, I figured I'd take this opportunity to say thank you....

Where do I begin?

Thank you all for making "Wasting Light" the most incredible album experience of our band's 17 year history. For real. The fact that a rock and roll record, made in a garage, completely analog to tape with no help from computers, could be a #1 album around the world, AND get a Grammy nomination for "Album of the Year".....well....these days that's no small feat. It's truly inspiring, and it makes us feel like the luckiest band in the world. So thanks. It means everything to us.

And the shows......from the secret club gigs, to playing in peoples garages all over the country.....from the arenas to the festivals to the stadiums....we've had the best gigs of our lives. Thank you so much to each and every one of you who came out and spent those 2 hours and 45 minutes with us every night. It's been exhausting.....but it's been a blast.

Looking back at the past 18 months, I don't think we've ever worked so hard at making an album, and it ever being so easy. From day one, the idea for this record was to make something completely simple and honest, to capture that thing that happens when you put the 5 of us in a small room. No big production, just real rock and roll music: That's why we decided to do it in my garage. We wanted to retain that human element, keep all of those beautiful imperfections: That's why we went completely analog. And, most of all, we wanted it to sound huge: That's why we decided to use Butch Vig. His role in this whole experience is huge, and he deserves a great 'thanks', too. Not many producers would accept the challenge that we handed him. He's the best, for sure. Together, we made the album of a lifetime. Again.

And to all of you.....we're not finished yet. There are still more shows to play, more songs to write, more albums to record, for years to come. I mean.....If you would have told me 17 years ago that in 2012 I would be writing songs for our 8th studio album....well.....

If it weren't for you guys, we wouldn't be here. We owe you so much.

Take care of yourselves.

We'll see you out there, folks.

Dave

SunisinuS
12-13-2011, 02:01 AM
You Are You Are!