PDA

View Full Version : Red Dawn remake changes villians from Chinese to N. Korean

Unchainme
03-19-2011, 12:29 PM
The decision was apparently made by MGM alone, "no one at the studio has had discussions with Chinese government officials about Red Dawn." Over the last few years, the box office in China has become a key place to make strong earnings, which is why you see films like The Karate Kid working with them. In business terms, this is just them watching out for their product. "We were initially very reluctant to make any changes," says Tripp Vinson, one of the producers. "But after careful consideration we constructed a way to make a scarier, smarter and more dangerous Red Dawn that we believe improves the movie." I certainly hope so.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/mgms-red-dawn-remake-will-have-north-korea-as-revised-villain/

I'm a sucker for movies like this..and scenarios that would possibly play out.

Korea has slightly more of a vindictive attitude towards America, over say China, who just views as an economic partner.

SunisinuS
03-19-2011, 01:04 PM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/mgms-red-dawn-remake-will-have-north-korea-as-revised-villain/

I'm a sucker for movies like this..and scenarios that would possibly play out.

Korea has slightly more of a vindictive attitude towards America, over say China, who just views as an economic partner.

More likely China would be it....and we would say who is on our side? ....150 million screaming Cossacks!

FORD
03-19-2011, 02:11 PM
North Korea is going to invade the US??

I knew this remake was going to suck from day one. Now it just upped the suckage level by a factor of 1000. At least.

binnie
03-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Another remake - I just don't get it.

Given that TV drama has been flourishing in recent years, there are evidently plenty of great writers out there. For what reason though Hollywood seems more interested in re-hashes....

Unchainme
03-19-2011, 03:47 PM
North Korea is going to invade the US??

I knew this remake was going to suck from day one. Now it just upped the suckage level by a factor of 1000. At least.

It's set in Seattle from what I've heard.

Sort of an odd choice for a neo-con cult classic.

FORD
03-19-2011, 04:02 PM
They probably set it "in Seattle" so they could actually film it in Vancouver BC, and things wouldn't look too out of place.

Unfortunately the neocon shitbags ARE trying to take over this state, (see the "Discovery Institute (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Discovery_Institute)") though I'm not sure whether or not that had anything to do with the movie's supposed location.

SunisinuS
03-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Another remake - I just don't get it.

Given that TV drama has been flourishing in recent years, there are evidently plenty of great writers out there. For what reason though Hollywood seems more interested in re-hashes....

I count it up to the "Star Search" factor and its evil progeny "American Idol"...least Chuck Berry would have gonged the whole thing if he could get a do over.

Writers of this next generation have been taught that originality is elusive.....so they just give up trying before they start..... Sigh.

Kristy
03-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Let me guess: N. Korea invades the U.S. (somehow - let's look past the plot holes) and their crack parachute team lands in downtown Chicago and surrenders at the first sign of a fast food restaurant. Most likely they'd be shell-shocked over seeing electricity for the first time in their lives. You know, without the Regan paranoia look for this film to go straight to DVD at a bankrupt Blockbuster near you.

Kristy
03-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Plus America is so corporate anymore look for the final scene being rewritten from "Wolverines!" to "Costco!"

SunisinuS
03-19-2011, 04:26 PM
plus america is so corporate anymore look for the final scene being rewritten from "wolverines!" to "costco!"

lmfao

FORD
03-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Let me guess: N. Korea invades the U.S. (somehow - let's look past the plot holes) and their crack parachute team lands in downtown Chicago and surrenders at the first sign of a fast food restaurant. Most likely they'd be shell-shocked over seeing electricity for the first time in their lives. You know, without the Regan paranoia look for this film to go straight to DVD at a bankrupt Blockbuster near you.

Well, if it's set in Seattle, they would probably be surrendering at Dicks' drive in. Only question is whether it would be the Queen Anne location (near Seattle Center) or on Broadway in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Nitro Express
03-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Good to hear Dick's is still there. It aways cracked me up that a place called Dick's was in the gay part of town.

Nitro Express
03-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Plus America is so corporate anymore look for the final scene being rewritten from "Wolverines!" to "Costco!"

It's been corporate for most of it's history but in the old days, corporate charters were temporary and were only renewed if the corporation served the best interest of the citizens. Politicians even though they always were corrupt would break up monopolies because their voting base would not tolerate out of control corruption. Today the voter just goes to sleep expecting someone else to fix the problem. They pretty much vote D's and R's without doing any real research on the candidates and the one who have the big corporate campaign money always seem to win.

Nitro Express
03-19-2011, 05:20 PM
We have fascism but instead of a motivated and in control Adolf Hitler we have these bought off puppets who aren't leaders at all. Who runs things are the people on the puppet's staff which amazingly have a revolving door between corporations, banks, and government. It's not the Obama Administration. It's the General Electric and Goldman Sachs administration with some Chicago mobsters thrown in for good measure. Why is Obama always late at addressing a crises? He doesn't have his script written for him yet. When the subject matter is over his head like economics and tax policy, they have to bring in Bill Clinton to do the press conference for him. There hasn't been any real leadership in the White House for many years. We have puppet presidents.

FORD
03-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Good to hear Dick's is still there. It aways cracked me up that a place called Dick's was in the gay part of town.

As immortalized in the classic Sir Mix-a-Lot video "Posse on Broadway".......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n13K5BWZBP4

Kristy
03-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Well, if it's set in Seattle, they would probably be surrendering at Dicks' drive in. Only question is whether it would be the Queen Anne location (near Seattle Center) or on Broadway in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Naw, I think they'd just chill at the local Starbucks.

FORD
03-19-2011, 06:30 PM
The Commies can HAVE Starfucks. I haven't set foot in one since Howard Schultz sold the Sonics to those OklaHomo Bush funding assholes.

Nitro Express
03-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Bill Gates when he was in high school ran a company called Traffo-Data. He wrote software that compiled all the data from those traffic reading meters they put across the road. He made several thousand dollars off the venture and had the bank give him a $1,000 bill (back went they still existed). Bill and some of his friends then went to Dick's and ordered burgers and stuff and then cocky Bill Gates paid for it with the $1,000. I guess it caused a big stir because the manager thought it was either fake or Bill stole it from his parents and refused to take it. Some Dick's history there.

VanHalenFan5150
03-19-2011, 10:09 PM
It wasn't the Chinese who invaded the US in the first film. It was the Cubans and the Russians. Just wanted to point that out....

FORD
03-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Bill Gates when he was in high school ran a company called Traffo-Data. He wrote software that compiled all the data from those traffic reading meters they put across the road. He made several thousand dollars off the venture and had the bank give him a $1,000 bill (back went they still existed). Bill and some of his friends then went to Dick's and ordered burgers and stuff and then cocky Bill Gates paid for it with the $1,000. I guess it caused a big stir because the manager thought it was either fake or Bill stole it from his parents and refused to take it. Some Dick's history there.

Guess Bill didn't hold a grudge though, since he still eats there on occasion......

<object width="364" height="256"><param name="movie" value="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/embed/player.swf" /><param name="background" value="#333333" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50004778" /><embed src="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/embed/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#333333" width="364" height="256" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50004778" /></object>

....of course, that is the Queen Anne location, near Seattle Center. The Broadway location is a walkup window only, no seating.

FORD
03-19-2011, 10:20 PM
It wasn't the Chinese who invaded the US in the first film. It was the Cubans and the Russians. Just wanted to point that out....

True, but the Chinese were supposed to be the bad guys in the remake, since there's no longer any such thing as a Soviet Union, and nobody is going to buy Cuba as a credible threat by themselves. For the same reason that North Korea isn't. But apparently they decided that pissing off the Chinese was not worth the economic risk of nobody there wanting to pay to see the movie. :biggrin:

Nitro Express
03-19-2011, 10:30 PM
My brother thought taking tests was fun. The harder the funner for him. He went to the University of Utah and was bored silly so he went to Stanford and finally got challenged there. Bill Gates and his friends at Harvard used to see who could study the least and get an A. They also skipped class to play poker. Bill financed the upstart of Microsoft with his poker winnings. Bill said later on when Microsoft got going his poor work ethic at Harvard came back to haunt him because Japanese customers sent over people to make sure the product was going to be finished. Unless it's a lab or a project, school is just memorizing and people who memorize things easy usually get bored in a traditional school.

Nitro Express
03-19-2011, 10:37 PM
True, but the Chinese were supposed to be the bad guys in the remake, since there's no longer any such thing as a Soviet Union, and nobody is going to buy Cuba as a credible threat by themselves. For the same reason that North Korea isn't. But apparently they decided that pissing off the Chinese was not worth the economic risk of nobody there wanting to pay to see the movie. :biggrin:

I really don't see the Chinese as a threat. They aren't sending their troops all over the place. They come in and make business deals. China didn't screw us. Guys like David Rockefeller and George H. Bush did. Those are the guys who really opened up China and were making deals to outsource our industry over there. Nixon gets the credit but it was really the Rockefellers and their long time agent Henry Kissinger behind all of that. Chase Manhattan Bank was doing business with the commies before communism even fell.

The Chinese are hard working industrious people who were already controlled by their leaders so US corporate interests made deals and the Chinese leaders accepted because communism wasn't working and China wanted to modernize. I think the US corporate interests just figured we could always keep China in line with our military. I think they underestimated China on that and now China seems to be calling the shots more.

SunisinuS
03-20-2011, 05:18 AM

I was talking about the remake....I know the first film.

:)

SunisinuS
03-20-2011, 05:19 AM
I really don't see the Chinese as a threat. They aren't sending their troops all over the place. They come in and make business deals. China didn't screw us. Guys like David Rockefeller and George H. Bush did. Those are the guys who really opened up China and were making deals to outsource our industry over there. Nixon gets the credit but it was really the Rockefellers and their long time agent Henry Kissinger behind all of that. Chase Manhattan Bank was doing business with the commies before communism even fell.

The Chinese are hard working industrious people who were already controlled by their leaders so US corporate interests made deals and the Chinese leaders accepted because communism wasn't working and China wanted to modernize. I think the US corporate interests just figured we could always keep China in line with our military. I think they underestimated China on that and now China seems to be calling the shots more.

I think you should read more books on China. Anyone that makes a deal with China should read some books first. I have.

Hence the Title of the Thread.

Chinese said...We own a part of you....do not make us the Villians.

Don't fucking tread on me.

SunisinuS
03-20-2011, 05:30 AM
My brother thought taking tests was fun. The harder the funner for him. He went to the University of Utah and was bored silly so he went to Stanford and finally got challenged there. Bill Gates and his friends at Harvard used to see who could study the least and get an A. They also skipped class to play poker. Bill financed the upstart of Microsoft with his poker winnings. Bill said later on when Microsoft got going his poor work ethic at Harvard came back to haunt him because Japanese customers sent over people to make sure the product was going to be finished. Unless it's a lab or a project, school is just memorizing and people who memorize things easy usually get bored in a traditional school.

I was sent to HS in second grade...... lol funny to remember it...but people that know me......are always afunned when they talk to me.

ashstralia
03-20-2011, 06:34 AM
I was sent to HS in second grade...... lol funny to remember it...but people that know me......are always afunned when they talk to me.

afunned eh:)

Hardrock69
03-22-2011, 08:54 PM
I can't wait to miss this....

chefcraig
03-22-2011, 09:15 PM
If Powers Boothe isn't involved, why is this even being considered, let alone made?

Nitro Express
03-22-2011, 10:16 PM
I think you should read more books on China. Anyone that makes a deal with China should read some books first. I have.

Hence the Title of the Thread.

Chinese said...We own a part of you....do not make us the Villians.

Don't fucking tread on me.

The creditors always own the debtors. That's called banking. Most Americans are owned by the banks because they have little to no equity in anything. It's called debt slavery and they used to throw people into prison for it. Maybe that's coming. I lived in Hong Kong and went to school there. They were always very afraid of the mainlander commies. We had lot's of boat people coming into Hong Kong harbor as well. Everyone wanted to escape to the little island and finger of land because were were surrounded by communists. You would hear the stories of how people escaped Mao and lost everything.

Not a good system but then communism was a western invention brought into China by the Russians.