PDA

View Full Version : Dissect.

SunisinuS
03-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Now here is a tune: If you are listening you will be able to collate the elements and tell me about it.

How was it done? What do you hear? Was it planned or not....what elements coalesce? I see this tune as perfection. How did they build it? Why is it perfect? Why did they leave it lying here?

As a guide I will point out two things to start the discussion for this tune or any other (feel free to guide us on your tune)...

A: At the one minute mark......Dave does what in your left ear?

B: What is the GLARING thing that Eddie is doing (and I suppose sanctioned) that he does not do in other recordings?

Enjoy listening and recording you people!

Etienne
03-19-2011, 05:00 PM

A: At the one minute mark......Dave does what in your left ear?

B: What is the GLARING thing that Eddie is doing (and I suppose sanctioned) that he does not do in other recordings?

Van Halen - Light Up The Sky

A: Very easy, there's a Haha spoken on the left channel.

B: It's another great CVH riff song... what it makes special... are the fine details Ed doesn't lose in his playing at that higher tempo... one of his qualities not only here but shines here clearly...

He's playing heavy but detailed... great EVH example...

Kristy
03-19-2011, 10:44 PM
It's definitely one of their better constructed songs considering that VH always thought of themselves as being a live act and really didn't care to be bogged down by studio gimmickry. The song has characteristics most early CVH songs don't in a slight but cheesy drum solo, and that it isn't Eddie carrying all the weight. I don't think it is the best song off the album but it one of their most overlooked.

Nitro Express
03-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Have you guys heard this live version of Light Up The Sky? It pretty much sums up what Van Halen was when I saw them the first time. All I can say is we walked out after the show blown away wondering what in the fuck did we just experience. It was awsome!

Nitro Express
03-19-2011, 11:00 PM
I always liked Mike's bass tone at 1:50 on the studio track. You can only get that with an old tube Ampeg pushing an 8x10. Then you have Eddie doing some nice guitar work with it. A great song where everyone in VH got to showcase their vibe.

SunisinuS
03-20-2011, 04:54 AM
Van Halen - Light Up The Sky

A: Very easy, there's a Haha spoken on the left channel.

B: It's another great CVH riff song... what it makes special... are the fine details Ed doesn't lose in his playing at that higher tempo... one of his qualities not only here but shines here clearly...

I would say on B: you are wrong....it is GLARING why Ed is different in the recording here....listen to both ears.*

*How can your ears; if you have your headphones on, always tell you that it is Eddie playing a Van Halen song?

SunisinuS
03-20-2011, 04:59 AM
It's definitely one of their better constructed songs considering that VH always thought of themselves as being a live act and really didn't care to be bogged down by studio gimmickry. The song has characteristics most early CVH songs don't in a slight but cheesy drum solo, and that it isn't Eddie carrying all the weight. I don't think it is the best song off the album but it one of their most overlooked.

But I bet that cheesy drum solo gets your ass Dancing Kristy.....or are you too old to dance?

SunisinuS
03-20-2011, 05:06 AM
Have you guys heard this live version of Light Up The Sky? It pretty much sums up what Van Halen was when I saw them the first time. All I can say is we walked out after the show blown away wondering what in the fuck did we just experience. It was awsome!

That is fucking Awesome.....shows that the recorder (engineer manager agent?) was following the band that they produced......nice call man. Sweet I am adding this one to the collection.

Etienne
03-20-2011, 02:51 PM
I would say on B: you are wrong....it is GLARING why Ed is different in the recording here....listen to both ears.*

*How can your ears; if you have your headphones on, always tell you that it is Eddie playing a Van Halen song?

What is your take on B, Sunisinus?

SunisinuS
03-21-2011, 01:38 PM
What is your take on B, Sunisinus?

Eddie is always coming out of your Left Ear....on this track...he is reversed.

:)

fifth element
03-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Eddie is always coming out of your Left Ear....on this track...he is reversed.

:)

lol....so it is....

any thoughts on why?

SunisinuS
03-22-2011, 02:22 AM
Differences:

fifth element
03-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Differences:

L O V E It!!

and thx!

:band:

Etienne
03-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Differences:

The Song was called "Show Your Love" back then...

ThrillsNSpills
03-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Differences:

Good One!
from Civic Disobedience
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X9Y5DO53

Hardrock69
03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
One of my fave tracks by VH.

Man, they kicked so much fucking ass back then. Am fortunate to have seen them. Will never forget the feeling of being in the audience at one of their shows and being blown away by the sheer intensity of their performance!

Etienne
03-26-2011, 04:26 PM
What is the name of the keyboard played in "...And The Cradle Will Rock"?

Hardrock69
03-27-2011, 03:33 AM
An EVH Shitboard. :lmao:

Diamondjimi
03-27-2011, 04:33 AM
What is the name of the keyboard played in "...And The Cradle Will Rock"?

Ed used a Wurlitzer electric piano with a MXR flanger plugged into a Marshall stack....

Hope that helps! ;)

SunisinuS
03-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Ed used a Wurlitzer electric piano with a MXR flanger plugged into a Marshall stack....

Hope that helps! ;)

True but why? Why do you do something effects wise? Is it because the sound in your head does not match the sound you want?

Etienne
03-27-2011, 08:25 PM

Hope that helps! ;)

Exactly, Diamondjimi, you're next...

SunisinuS
05-15-2011, 04:17 PM
New Incubus.

SunisinuS
05-15-2011, 04:31 PM
As a guide I will point out two things to start the discussion for this tune or any other (feel free to guide us on your tune)...

A: At the ? minute mark......? does what in your left ear?

B: What is the GLARING thing that ? is doing (and I suppose sanctioned) that he does not do in other recordings?

Enjoy listening and recording you people!

ThrillsNSpills
05-16-2011, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=SunisinuS;1541874]As a guide I will point out two things to start the discussion for this tune or any other (feel free to guide us on your tune)...

A: At the ? minute mark......? does what in your left ear?

QUOTE]

closed flushed seeya.

try again, in English, or what do question marks do in your ear? It's glaring.
mcDonalds, monsanto, or vaccines for you before you typed that?

SunisinuS
07-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Yours Is No Disgrace.

And sorry Thrills. Not everyone is a musican so I apologise if I did not communicate well for you. The "?" was to say "At what time mark?" I left it as a "?" as both youtube and other digital media screw up time marks, but the true reason was because the "?" was meant for someone who responds to plug in their own time mark and make a point about it.