PDA

View Full Version : Music is dead.../Rebecca Black's "Friday"

Unchainme
03-22-2011, 08:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

I keep thinking...it can't get any worse, no way no how, can they have someone possibly have no discernable talent make it in the industry than the current crop of Biebers, Taylor Swift Rhianna's and Ke$ha's of the world, I kept thinking, there's noooo way, nooo way someone can top their current shittynes..

..In comes this girl...out of nowhere, somehow is able to get this "song" 35 million youtube hits, and has been able to get in the top 20 of Itunes within a week....some of it has been done out of irony in showing how awful this person is, but in comes ass-bandits like Simon Cowel

Simon Cowell praised Black, saying: "I love her [and] the fact that she's gotten so much publicity. People are so upset about the song, but I think it's hysterical...Anyone who can create this much controversy within a week, I want to meet. I love people like that."

and she'll be made famous because of this...Yeah, music is dead.

clarathecarrot
03-22-2011, 08:08 PM
She do what she do.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
vh is coverin' this tune on the new album

kwame k
03-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Popular music and the record industry are dead............there's great music out there, you just have to look for it and it's not going to be in the Top Forty, either.

Head to your local hot spot for live music or where the regional acts come to play [1,000 seats or under] and you'll hear some killer music.

clarathecarrot
03-22-2011, 08:17 PM
So..like do you think she Do, Shy Boy.. ok...?

Or was it shoo be doo bee do..?

PETE'S BROTHER
03-22-2011, 08:18 PM
doobie doodie do

chefcraig
03-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Head to your local hot spot for live music or where the regional acts come to play [1,000 seats or under] and you'll hear some killer music.

Or some music that will make you want to kill the band. A good rule of thumb being that if the stage makes inspired use of pallets, you just might be in the wrong venue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw8sNoodIDk

FORD
03-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Hell, if a cover band plays fucking Europe songs, that alone should be a huge clue that they suck. Nobody can make that song sound good.... I don't care if it was a supergroup of Randy Rhoads, Jimi Hendrix, John Entwistle, John Bonham, and Bon Scott on vocals, even that much talent couldn't save that piece of shit song.

Unchainme
03-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Hell, if a cover band plays fucking Europe songs, that alone should be a huge clue that they suck. Nobody can make that song sound good.... I don't care if it was a supergroup of Randy Rhoads, Jimi Hendrix, John Entwistle, John Bonham, and Bon Scott on vocals, even that much talent couldn't save that piece of shit song.

i have positive associations with that song, as for some reason, it was adopted as an anthem at my HS in the 4th quarter of close games.

It's dogshit, but goddamn, the only thing I can associate it is being down a score with 12 minutes to go in the game...

kwame k
03-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Or some music that will make you want to kill the band. A good rule of thumb being that if the stage makes inspired use of pallets, you just might be in the wrong venue.

:lmao: Well....there's a good rule of thumb!

Nitro Express
03-22-2011, 10:30 PM
At least the stage looks level. With all the random shit they have holding it up it should have some sags in it.

lesfunk
03-22-2011, 11:26 PM
always finding a silver lining... you eternal optimist

sadaist
03-22-2011, 11:57 PM
I saw that Rebbecca Black - Friday video the other night. So Michael Strahan is a rapper now?

Unchainme
03-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I guess I can go one of two ways with trying to blame the current shit that has been pushed down peoples throats:

A.) I blame the corporations in the form of disney and in the form nickelodeon. Back in the day, they used to be primarily a place to watch cartoons, and they were indeed good at what they did. In 1998 though, something started to change, I also considered 1998 the watermark of when mainstream music went to shit. Both stations shifted and went away from showing that stuff, and went more towards trying to get the tween audience...and so begot promotion of boybands and other shit over cartoons, and so begot Justin Bieber

B.)..The Parents who buy this shit for their kids or allow them to listen to it, thus allow it to be popular. When I was a kid, my mom and dad never went out of their way to buy me the latest shit pop songs out, and had me listen to the eagles, peter gabriel, sting, yes a few others. Nothing too much to rock the boat, but stuff that's really better than what's out there right there. I believe the only other thing I really listened to at a young age were Disney soundtracks.

Again, to these Parents, theres some GREAT music out there, that's inoffensive and quite kid-friendly. Try the Beatles for starts or the Beach Boys, or even Fleetwood Mac. I mean, the messages within some of the songs may not be the best if you look them up, but on the surface, they're a fun listen, and miles better than anything that's been released in the mainstream for the past 10 or so years.

Kristy
03-24-2011, 12:43 PM
In comes this girl...out of nowhere, somehow is able to get this "song" 35 million youtube hits, and has been able to get in the top 20 of Itunes within a week....some of it has been done out of irony in showing how awful this person is, but in comes ass-bandits like Simon Cowel.

I'm calling shenanigans on this. For one, it's too well shot to be coming out of nowhere and two, it seems to be so well aimed at the retarded tween market. The whole video is a fantasy take on American suburbanism where every kid looks like a rejected Abercrombie & Fitch catalog model, drives a new Mercedes to high school where there is oddly no social cliques (except their own, I guess), had or is having major dental work and parties at private gated communities where there is no alcohol or sex to be found anywhere. And her lyrics are just as mundane as her singing. Hey, it's FRIDAY everybody! Let's all PARTAY like there isn't a care in the world for we're young, stupid, clueless and soon we'll will off to college! Golly! [Our] only worries is my hair, my clothes and my boyfriend - nevermind the black dude in the SUV who, somehow isn't welcome at our shindig.

VanHalener
03-24-2011, 12:44 PM
vh is coverin' this tune on the new album

HELL YEAH!!!

Somebody throw the napalm switch, please! FAK!!!

Kristy
03-24-2011, 12:48 PM

God damn it! I'm calling for the beheading on the next person who post this video on this site ever again.

hambon4lif
03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Kickin' in the front seat
Sittin' in the back seat
Gotta make my mind up
Which seat can I take?

It's FRIDAY, FRIDAY
Gettin' down on FRIDAY
Everybody's lookin' forward to the weekend

PARTYIN', PARTYIN'(Yeah)
PARTYIN', PARTYIN' (Yeah)
FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN
Lookin' forward to the weekend

Yesterday was Thursday
Today is-is Friday (Partyin')

We-We-We so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball today

Tomorrow is Saturday
And Sunday comes after...wards

......Everybody's overlooking the depth of these lyrics. Bloodletting, soul-bearing, tea-leaf combing GENIUS!!!!

This is the greatest fucking song I've ever heard in my life!!!!!!!

PETE'S BROTHER
03-24-2011, 01:48 PM
if you play it backwards it says "sammy hagar sucks balls!!!"

kwame k
03-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Sittin' in the back seat
Gotta make my mind up
Which seat can I take?

It's FRIDAY, FRIDAY
Gettin' down on FRIDAY
Everybody's lookin' forward to the weekend

PARTYIN', PARTYIN'(Yeah)
PARTYIN', PARTYIN' (Yeah)
FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN
Lookin' forward to the weekend

Yesterday was Thursday

We-We-We so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball today

Tomorrow is Saturday
And Sunday comes after...wards

......Everybody's overlooking the depth of these lyrics. Bloodletting, soul-bearing, tea-leaf combing GENIUS!!!!

This is the greatest fucking song I've ever heard in my life!!!!!!!

Damn it..........who let Ham get into Blaze's scripts again:headlights:

Kristy
03-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Yesterday was Thursday

I must say I am quite surprised. Who knew that girl had a PhD in linguistics?

Kristy
03-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Sittin' in the back seat
Gotta make my mind up
Which seat can I take?

Oh, and the fuck with teen suicide, pregnancy, and other pressing social issues. She hit the conundrum nail that every teenager faces on the proverbial head. How spiritually uplifting and thought-provoking. I fear I may have hastenly judged her genius.

Kristy
03-24-2011, 02:10 PM
She's my new guru. My sooth-sayer. She can cry, she can feel. She can love. The world could use more of her philosophy and understanding.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="512" height="354" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxNTQwNw==/"/><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxNTQwNw==/" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="512" height="354" align="middle" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

chefcraig
03-24-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm calling shenanigans on this. For one, it's too well shot to be coming out of nowhere and two, it seems to be so well aimed at the retarded tween market. The whole video is a fantasy take on American suburbanism where every kid looks like a rejected Abercrombie & Fitch catalog model, drives a new Mercedes to high school where there is oddly no social cliques (except their own, I guess), had or is having major dental work and parties at private gated communities where there is no alcohol or sex to be found anywhere. And her lyrics are just as mundane as her singing. Hey, it's FRIDAY everybody! Let's all PARTAY like there isn't a care in the world for we're young, stupid, clueless and soon we'll will off to college! Golly! [Our] only worries is my hair, my clothes and my boyfriend - nevermind the black dude in the SUV who, somehow isn't welcome at our shindig.

You nailed it. Looking into the details, apparently this tune was cranked out by a Disney-like company that specializes in the exploiting...err, discovering teen performers.

ARK Music Factory (ARK Music Factory)

SunisinuS
03-24-2011, 02:17 PM
My Heads Kickin' in the front basket
Sittin' in the back basket
Gotta make my head's mind up
Which basket can I take?

Sorry...gees I didn't have much to work with even for poetic satire.....

hambon4lif
03-24-2011, 02:21 PM
She's my new guru. My sooth-sayer. She can cry, she can feel. She can love. The world could use more of her philosophy and understanding. She is the light of the way, and the way of the light.
An endless well of knowledge, and a shining beacon of wisdom.

ThrillsNSpills
03-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Comedic riffing aside, this thread has certainly exceeded its quota of suck.

Hopefully nobody will post the Kim Kardashian "single"

hambon4lif
03-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Comedic riffing aside, this thread has certainly exceeded its quota of suck. You're saying that even before you hear what Savicki did to this song....

(BTW, this goes out to Unchainme for bringing this marvelous tune to my attention.Thanks alot, pal!)

binnie
03-24-2011, 06:16 PM
There has always been great music and crap music: the former reacts against the latter.

Some people like light, cheery music that picks them up or allows them to dance around a handbag in a club; others like music that enhances their life or acts as a catharsis. Different strokes for different strokes.

Where people go wrong is to equate 'I don't like that' with 'that sucks'. That is not the same thing.

chefcraig
03-24-2011, 08:57 PM
God damn it! I'm calling for the beheading on the next person who post this video on this site ever again.

Not for nothing, but did it occur to you that by quoting the post, the next person to post the clip on the site was...YOU? :biggrin:

hambon4lif
03-24-2011, 09:38 PM

Steve Savicki
03-24-2011, 10:18 PM

Diamondjimi
03-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Shit tune!

Please. Die in a fire!

http://www.rotharmy.com/gallery/files/5/1/0/9/f9546e3596403f54d5603c401fc885d9_83.gif

hambon4lif
03-25-2011, 04:52 PM
WHAT DAY IS IT?....

chefcraig
04-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Rebecca Black Fighting Ark Music Factory Over 'Friday'

Singer pursues production company for ultimate control of her music :indifferent0020:

ROLLING STONE (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-rebecca-black-fighting-ark-music-factory-over-friday-20110401)

It didn't take long for everyone involved in the Rebecca Black story to start squabbling. Black – whose song "Friday" hit Number 38 on Billboard's digital singles chart this week – and her mother, Georgina Marquez Kelly, are accusing Ark Music Factory, which produced "Friday," of copyright infringement and unlawful exploitation of publicity rights.

A March 29 letter from Black and Marquez Kelly's lawyer Brian Schall to Ark Music Factory obtained by Rolling Stone alleges that Ark has failed to provide Black with the master recordings of her song and video; has been exploiting her likeness and her song on YouTube, iTunes, Amazon and Ark's website; created an unauthorized "Friday" ringtone; and has been advertising Black as an exclusive Ark recording artist on its website.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Ark Music Factory founder Patrice Wilson denied most of the allegations in the letter. "I have met with Rebecca Black's mom and everything is fine," he said. "She will get the masters and the song. They can have it all."

Marquez Kelly paid Ark $4,000 (not $2,000, as has been widely reported) to produce the song, and according to Schall's letter, the agreement that she signed with Ark in November stipulates that Black has 100 percent ownership and control of "Friday," including the master recording and the music video.

Black shot the video for "Friday" in January, and the Ark team finished it a few weeks later. It was uploaded to YouTube on February 10th, but it only had around 4,000 views until it was posted on comedian Daniel Tosh's Tosh.O Comedy Central blog on March 11th, and comedian Michael J. Nelson tweeted about it. Overnight, it had gotten over 200,000 views, and by March 15th, it had over five million views on YouTube. And after her Good Morning America appearance on March 18th, she had evolved from a meme to a celebrity.

"She's not our exclusive artist," said Wilson. "Once an artist meets with us and once they blow up, they have a choice to retain us or move on if they can. Rebecca is now signed with someone else." Wilson added that he will remove Black from the Ark Music Factory website.

But Ark's lawyer, Barry Rothman, cast doubt on the validity of the November agreement. "The agreement was not court-approved," Rothman said. "They say they own the composition. Nothing could be further from the truth. If they go forward and license it or attempt to copyright it in their name, that would be copyright infringement and we'd act accordingly under the circumstances."

He added: "We're not prepared to engage them in producing documents just because they want them, without a court order or litigation. We'd like to see Rebecca Black's career go forward and we're trying to accomplish that in the context of working through the legalities."

Wilson's Ark Music Factory partner Clarence Jey contended that Ark did act as a record label for Black, and distributed and promoted her with her mother's consent – until it became clear that Black was going to make actual money.

"Now they are turning it around and saying they were exploited, but clearly that is not the case when they were thanking me for forwarding them all the interviews with Rebecca and all the positive comments from YouTube," said Jey. "I was calling Australia on my cell phone pretending to be Rebecca's agent and setting up radio interviews for Rebecca while Georgina was right next to me. If she thought I was exploiting this, she could have said it."

"Georgina's trying to get the rights to things she doesn't have the rights to," said Ark Creative Director Barry Wayne.

Neither Marquez Kelly nor Schall returned calls for comment.

Black is the first real success to come out of the Los Angeles-based Ark, whose website was registered in August 2010 by Wilson. Ark's biggest successes other than Black are the singer Alana Lee Hamilton's "Butterflies," which has close to six million YouTube views, and Kaya Rosenthal's "Can't Get You Out of My Mind," which has 1.7 million YouTube views.

"Suddenly, everyone is seeing big dollars and everyone is getting greedy and it sucks," said Jey, who claims that his team wrote the music and lyrics to "Friday." "My team just needs to be looked after to some extent. They need to be compensated for something." He argued that Black should own the master recording for her vocals, but that Ark should have copyright for the song and composition. "We gave Rebecca 10 percent of the publishing, but she didn't even write a lyric. Good Morning America came over, I paid $400 for the make up artist and no one even thanked me for that."

And now it seems as though Ark's success may be its undoing. Wilson recently hired his own lawyer, and Jey alleges that Wilson won't give him access to the website. "Yesterday we were supposed to have a meeting at my attorney's place. I didn't hear from him all day. He sent me a text message late at night saying, 'Sorry, brother, I've had a busy day.' In the meantime he's going around saying I'm not with Ark."

Anonymous
04-03-2011, 12:12 PM
I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread.

Unchainme, do you realize what you've done? Can you even begin to comprehend, to grasp the full extent of your foolish, rash actions?

This thread SUCKS SO MUCH ASS that the ONLY remotely funny thing to be found in its unprecedented depths was Savicki's post.

This thread is so mind bogglingly dreary, that Suckadicki's post actually lifted my spirits.

Yes.

YOU enabled Suckadicki to save a thread. I'm mortified. I'm torn between anger & pity.

Therefore, much as it pains me to do so, I must ask for your immediate temporary banning of this site, so you'll have time to reflect on your what you have done, what you unleashed upon the world.

Go now, poor misguided child & repent. Repent that ye may be saved.

Cheers! :bottle:

Kristy
04-03-2011, 02:43 PM
So a 13 year-old girl makes a video about that it means to be a 13 year-old girl for a few crumbs by a major scamming company whose only purpose is to exploit such shit. Now Rebecca's mother cries foul knowing by summer no one will seriously remember this shit other then it being a internet viral hype. I'll give her mother credit n that if she isn't greedy and securing Rebecca's college future then more power to her but really, no one is going to remember what happens to Rebecca's career come June. 15 minutes is all you get, people.

SunisinuS
04-03-2011, 02:47 PM
I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread.

Unchainme, do you realize what you've done? Can you even begin to comprehend, to grasp the full extent of your foolish, rash actions?

This thread SUCKS SO MUCH ASS that the ONLY remotely funny thing to be found in its unprecedented depths was Savicki's post.

This thread is so mind bogglingly dreary, that Suckadicki's post actually lifted my spirits.

Yes.

YOU enabled Suckadicki to save a thread. I'm mortified. I'm torn between anger & pity.

Therefore, much as it pains me to do so, I must ask for your immediate temporary banning of this site, so you'll have time to reflect on your what you have done, what you unleashed upon the world.

Go now, poor misguided child & repent. Repent that ye may be saved.

Yea but you are an idiot and you always do what we want.

Follow the bouncing ball Stumbler.

SunisinuS
04-03-2011, 02:51 PM
WHAT DAY IS IT?....

Hambon you Dog us!

FORD
04-03-2011, 02:55 PM
<embed src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxNzU1Mw==/" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="512" height="354" align="middle" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

hambon4lif
04-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Hambon you Dog us!I can't help but have fun with this. Evidently, I'm one of the very few people on Earth that actually find the humor in all of it.

The ugliness and raw hatred this has produced tells us more about our society than it does about some 13-year-old girls dopey little song.

Andy Warhol warned us years ago that everyone would get their 15 minutes, and we chose not to listen.
When MTV crashed the party, The Buggles warned us that video would kill the radio star, and we were having too much fun to pay attention.
Disney unleashed their plague upon the music world, and we chose to remain ostriches
Billy Ray Cyrus got his revenge on us for laughing at his haircut by releasing his daughter on us, and her brainless bullshit. (do you know that you can click your remote to the Disney Channel at any given time and hear a song every bit as vapid and ignorant as Rebecca's?)

Gas looks like it will hit $5 a gallon by summer, our country is engaging in wars we have absolutely no business being in, and half of our population have no future in front of them other than laying in a gutter and starving to death.
Yet this stupid little song brings the ire out in people? This is where people burn up all of their energy?
Bitches, please!
Some people are so fucking ignorant that I don't see them worthy enough to suck my cock! Which says alot, 'cause I'm pretty indiscriminate as far as that goes.

So yeah.....I'm doggin' folks. And they deserve it. I'm having more of a laugh at the reaction to this song than the song itself.

BITEYOASS
04-03-2011, 04:32 PM
NOW HERE'S DEATH METAL FRIDAY!!! :rockon::rockit2::rockit::killer:

Kristy
04-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Usually, parody is a good thing. Now it's getting fucking retarded.

SunisinuS
04-03-2011, 05:01 PM
I can't help but have fun with this. Evidently, I'm one of the very few people on Earth that actually find the humor in all of it.

The ugliness and raw hatred this has produced tells us more about our society than it does about some 13-year-old girls dopey little song.

Andy Warhol warned us years ago that everyone would get their 15 minutes, and we chose not to listen.
When MTV crashed the party, The Buggles warned us that video would kill the radio star, and we were having too much fun to pay attention.
Disney unleashed their plague upon the music world, and we chose to remain ostriches
Billy Ray Cyrus got his revenge on us for laughing at his haircut by releasing his daughter on us, and her brainless bullshit. (do you know that you can click your remote to the Disney Channel at any given time and hear a song every bit as vapid and ignorant as Rebecca's?)

Gas looks like it will hit $5 a gallon by summer, our country is engaging in wars we have absolutely no business being in, and half of our population have no future in front of them other than laying in a gutter and starving to death.
Yet this stupid little song brings the ire out in people? This is where people burn up all of their energy?
Bitches, please!
Some people are so fucking ignorant that I don't see them worthy enough to suck my cock! Which says alot, 'cause I'm pretty indiscriminate as far as that goes.

So yeah.....I'm doggin' folks. And they deserve it. I'm having more of a laugh at the reaction to this song than the song itself.

Then I take it you followed my edit into the House of Pain....

Kristy
04-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I can't help but have fun with this. Evidently, I'm one of the very few people on Earth that actually find the humor in all of it. The ugliness and raw hatred this has produced tells us more about our society than it does about some 13-year-old girls dopey little song.

I never found it odd that Rebecca's little ditty has become so popular. Humorous? Not really but all she did was clearly demonstrate how easy anyone these days and times can have a hit and place it on a low intelligent populace without even trying. For some reason, this pissed a lot of people off and I think the root cause is that music takes itself way, way to seriously anymore. Again, I blame the whole MySpace market for the rise in such mediocrity (otherwise, no would care about our dear little Rebecca) where anybody with an instrument can self-hype themselves without so much of an audience critique. And as I make myself sound as old as Chefcraig, there was once a time when musicians actually practiced their craft. Why nowadays that is mocked I have no clue. I've always gravitated myself towards a musician who can actually play their god damn instrument no matter what their genre may be. I'll admit I'm not a huge Van Halen fan but Eddie is one amazing talent and there is not many who can do what he does. Now, cue all the clones and plague rats who drifted in with spandex and silly-looking guitars turning what was pure into something of a self-parody.

And self-parody led to the invention (lack of a better word) of the Billy Ray Cyrus' and Disney teen stars that seem to be the only tail-tale sign that the music industry is surviving at all. There are simply to many to name but they seem to come and go overnight while those who actually learned their craft never really seem to be forgotten. Where will Rebecca be in 6 months? Exactly...who cares? I'm still listening to records by Wes Montgomery, Chet Aktins, Dave Brubeck some 50+ years after they were recorded and it's not because of their caliber of talent it's because what they believed in what they were playing was worth knowing and studying. They were giving small gifts to the world whereas Demi Lovato and Katy Perry, GaGa, and that little Canadian shithead, Bieber tend to shit all over it. Maybe a bias judgement but to me at least, music is about talent, not image - it should a prerequisite for anyone willing to pick up an instrument and desire to play in front of others, especially to such a young generation that has no clue as to what music is about. To them - it's something you "download" not actually listen to. People want (instant) fame over recognition and Rebecca Black is the prime example of that. One of my biggest fears is to wake up old and grey (y'know, like how Chefcraig is now) and fear music is nothing more than a series of emotionless robotic machines whose lyrical and musical insight rest on nothing more than the days of the week. :soapbox:

Take me away from all of this, Janine.

SunisinuS
04-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Which seat should I take?

*note to self: Not next to that girl wielding the machete'.

binnie
04-03-2011, 05:29 PM
And self-parody led to the invention (lack of a better word) of the Billy Ray Cyrus' and Disney teen stars that seem to be the only tail-tale sign that the music industry is surviving at all. There are simply to many to name but they seem to come and go overnight while those who actually learned their craft never really seem to be forgotten. Where will Rebecca be in 6 months? Exactly...who cares? I'm still listening to records by Wes Montgomery, Chet Aktins, Dave Brubeck some 50+ years after they were recorded and it's not because of their caliber of talent it's because what they believed in what they were playing was worth knowing and studying. They were giving small gifts to the world whereas Demi Lovato and Katy Perry, GaGa, and that little Canadian shithead, Bieber tend to shit all over it. Maybe a bias judgement but to me at least, music is about talent, not image - it should a prerequisite for anyone willing to pick up an instrument and desire to play in front of others, especially to such a young generation that has no clue as to what music is about. To them - it's something you "download" not actually listen to.

I used to feel like this, then I realized that for all of the media air Bieber et al get their ultimate impact in the long run will be minimal. As you say, those of us who really love music still listen to great records decades after they are made, and a significant proportion of their free time hunting out new artists, going to concerts and so on. Poptarts like Rebecca will have a short shelf life and will be quickly forgotten - there were novelty records like this in the '60s, '70s and '80s, its just that no one remembers them. The thing is to not confuse the two types of music: for some people music is an artform as much as it is a form of entertainment, something which not only enhances their life but acts as a catharsis; for others music is more about entertainment than art, something to dance away too or to have on as a quick 'pick me up'. Shit like this Rebecca chick is not representative of today's music scene, just as the Spice Girls were not really representative of the mid 90s.

I don't think that this generation of teenagers is much different from any other. Some of them will hunt out great music, some of them will like Bieber; in the same way that some of them will read the Twilight novels, and some of them will hunt out great literature. I guess what I'm saying is that great music won't die just because there is a mass of banal drivel being produced - there are a lot more Burger King 'restaurants' now than 50 years ago, but that doesn't mean that there isn't wonderful cooking around too. Different strokes for different folks.

Kristy
04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I Shit like this Rebecca chick is not representative of today's music scene, just as the Spice Girls were not really representative of the mid 90s.

I have to disagree a bit with you here. It's not that she is much of a representative of anything but that stone cold fact that she is all but what is left of the music industry. I mean, this is what they are offering anymore. In the horrendous 90's of the Spice Girls at least you had other choices if you happened to be a teen. I'll admit to liking Hansen, not because they were great but because they were a joke but it was one you could laugh at as being a passing fad (which they were) and that there so many choices out there at the time who did make some good music. Hansen was intermittent comic relief. I fear there gong to be more and more barely pubescent Rebecca's out there doing this sort of mind-numbing nonsense not as a novelty but rather, the norm. You can't label her as bubblegum (maybe tweeny pop) because even bubblegum had it's moments of talent no matter how leisurely it took itself. Kids today (don't I sound old?) are more into computers and XBox then they are into learning anything about music. You reap what the generation sows, I guess.

SunisinuS
04-03-2011, 05:48 PM
I used to feel like this, then I realized that for all of the media air Bieber et al get their ultimate impact in the long run will be minimal. As you say, those of us who really love music still listen to great records decades after they are made, and a significant proportion of their free time hunting out new artists, going to concerts and so on. Poptarts like Rebecca will have a short shelf life and will be quickly forgotten - there were novelty records like this in the '60s, '70s and '80s, its just that no one remembers them. The thing is to not confuse the two types of music: for some people music is an artform as much as it is a form of entertainment, something which not only enhances their life but acts as a catharsis; for others music is more about entertainment than art, something to dance away too or to have on as a quick 'pick me up'. Shit like this Rebecca chick is not representative of today's music scene, just as the Spice Girls were not really representative of the mid 90s.

I don't think that this generation of teenagers is much different from any other. Some of them will hunt out great music, some of them will like Bieber; in the same way that some of them will read the Twilight novels, and some of them will hunt out great literature. I guess what I'm saying is that great music won't die just because there is a mass of banal drivel being produced - there are a lot more Burger King 'restaurants' now than 50 years ago, but that doesn't mean that there isn't wonderful cooking around too. Different strokes for different folks.

binnie
04-03-2011, 06:01 PM
I have to disagree a bit with you here. It's not that she is much of a representative of anything but that stone cold fact that she is all but what is left of the music industry. I mean, this is what they are offering anymore. In the horrendous 90's of the Spice Girls at least you had other choices if you happened to be a teen. I'll admit to liking Hansen, not because they were great but because they were a joke but it was one you could laugh at as being a passing fad (which they were) and that there so many choices out there at the time who did make some good music. Hansen was intermittent comic relief. I fear there gong to be more and more barely pubescent Rebecca's out there doing this sort of mind-numbing nonsense not as a novelty but rather, the norm. You can't label her as bubblegum (maybe tweeny pop) because even bubblegum had it's moments of talent no matter how leisurely it took itself. Kids today (don't I sound old?) are more into computers and XBox then they are into learning anything about music. You reap what the generation sows, I guess.

Man, that's a horrifying, almost Orwellian, vision of a world in which all teenagers listen to inane, unfeeling, music: an almost sinister image of perma-smiling, unfeeling, robotic adolescents incapable of comprehending irony.

I think that High School Musical was the first sign of its coming; Glee is the second sign.

Five more will follow..........

chefcraig
04-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Man, that's a horrifying, almost Orwellian, vision of a world in which all teenagers listen to inane, unfeeling, music: an almost sinister image of perma-smiling, unfeeling, robotic adolescents incapable of comprehending irony.

There is sort of a Stepford Wives (the original, not the remake) feel to it all. And if that doesn't scare the pants off of you, Tom Cruise (as the lead) and a production company just showed up in my town to film the movie version of Rock Of Ages.

SunisinuS
04-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Just for Kristy.......plants a big sloppy wet kiss*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQrWTQBZPo4

Dave's Bitch
04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
NOW HERE'S DEATH METAL FRIDAY!!! :rockon::rockit2::rockit::killer:

This is fucking AWESOME

Ah come on guy's,let rebecca have some fun.If she want's to have fun and make sucky music more power to her.We dont have to listen?.When i was a lil' younger i used to bounce around ma room in front of a camera singing The Final Countdown.We all done it,she has just taken it that one step further.Let her have some fun :)

Long Live Rock and Roll

hambon4lif
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
The only point I was trying to make (before Kristy decided to pull out her brainpan and beat me with it) was that the violent reaction that made this song so popular is even more ridiculous than the song.

Do I agree that the song is dumber than a bag of dicks? Yes
Do I agree that this is not real music? Yes
Do I agree with the millions of cowardly anonymous internet folk who say this 13-year-old should "ram a bowie-knife through her jugular"? Absolutely not!

Where the fuck does that kind of insane psychotic hatred come from anyhow? Over a fucking song? Are you fucking kidding me? She wasn't trying to raise anyones social awareness! She wasn't channeling Joni Mitchell for christs sakes. It's just a stupid little pop song. Get the fuck over it!
Maybe if some of that (let's call it) 'passion' were directed towards things that really fucking mattered in this world, we would more than likely be alot better off.

I know it's not "Friday" yet, but I gotta have my bowl, and I gotta get down.

Kristy
04-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Just for Kristy.......plants a big sloppy wet kiss*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQrWTQBZPo4

Oh yeah! Right back at ya with THIS!:

Actually, that is a bit of a catchy tune. Retarded vid but catchy tune.

SunisinuS
04-03-2011, 08:19 PM
up yours

Kristy
04-03-2011, 08:23 PM
That's below the belt.

(I'm just thankful it wasn't Phish)

SunisinuS
04-03-2011, 08:28 PM
That's below the belt.

(I'm just thankful it wasn't Phish)

hehe I would never do that to you.

Anonymous
04-03-2011, 08:42 PM
The only point I was trying to make (before Kristy decided to pull out her brainpan and beat me with it) was that the violent reaction that made this song so popular is even more ridiculous than the song.

Do I agree that the song is dumber than a bag of dicks? Yes
Do I agree that this is not real music? Yes
Do I agree with the millions of cowardly anonymous internet folk who say this 13-year-old should "ram a bowie-knife through her jugular"? Absolutely not!

Where the fuck does that kind of insane psychotic hatred come from anyhow? Over a fucking song? Are you fucking kidding me? She wasn't trying to raise anyones social awareness! She wasn't channeling Joni Mitchell for christs sakes. It's just a stupid little pop song. Get the fuck over it!
Maybe if some of that (let's call it) 'passion' were directed towards things that really fucking mattered in this world, we would more than likely be alot better off.

I know it's not "Friday" yet, but I gotta have my bowl, and I gotta get down.

VERY well spoken. Er, written. People's priorities have always been messes up, but with the internets, it's reached historical proportions.

With so much shit goin' on, civilization on the verge of financial collapse, air conditioning being persecuted because of the global warming troll & silicone used in computer chips instead of boobage, Sugus shitting all over these boards posting the entire YouTube site & cluttering up the place with rampant retardedness, it's impressive to see that the reason people choose to get their knickers on a twist is a freakin' pop song.

I mean, how bad can it be? I haven't listened to it yet 'cuz I have absolutely no interest in doing so, but is there some sort of subliminal message in it that makes you cry out fer the blood of the little tart what's singin' it? I don't get it. I really don't.

SunisinuS
04-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Then leave.

Anonymous
04-03-2011, 09:08 PM
(...) Tom Cruise (...) just showed up in my town (...)

You know what you have to do, don't you? According to Kristy - she's so mean, sometimes - you're no spring chicken, so it's not that big of a sacrifice to give up your final years for the betterment of mankind... just imagine all the suffering you can spare ours & future generations.

Our fate is in your hands.

You have our full trust.

Sugus wanks dead dogs in the middle of the street.

BITEYOASS
04-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Oh yeah! Right back at ya with THIS!:

Actually, that is a bit of a catchy tune. Retarded vid but catchy tune.

Not as funny as the Terry Crews version:

Kristy
04-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Once that piano riff gets in you head you can get it out.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Haven't read through all of this, but...

I, personally, think this is just about the funniest fucking thing I've seen this year. I'm having a hard time believing it's anything other than a parody of the Cyrus/Bieber stuff. And anyone doing a parody of that stuff won't manage to pull off anything funnier. Everything about it is so wrong that it's enjoyable on an absolute ironic level. It could absolutely be the lifted directly from the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" soundtrack, provided some events in the film take place on a Friday.

I mean, I like wishing death upon 13-year-old girls as much as the next guy. It's one of my favourite hobbies. Hey, sometimes I even it carry out, and go as far as to murder any 13-year-old girl who sings a song I don't approve of. Who doesn't? But, the reaction to it is the only reason we know it. So everyone who has (over)reacted to this is primarily responsible for it being everywhere. That includes everyone in this thread (including me, it appears...unless I'm not really in this thread and this is a complete figment of my imagifuckingnation...to be fair, it wouldn't be the first time). So, you've only got yourself to blame for spreading it around.

Frankly, I'm finding it difficult to believe "music is dead" on the back of this one song after 50 years of the Eurovision Song Contest and 10 years of Simon Cowell's weird face on TV (which are equally hillarious). Especially with some of the people I've been discovering as of late.

If life was long enough to give that much of a shit, then I best start planning for judgement day (if it was real).

I'll leave you with this...

Shaun Ponsonby
04-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Oh, and the fact that her next single is to be called "LOL" is equally hillarious.

binnie
04-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh, and the fact that her next single is to be called "LOL" is equally hillarious.

Please tell me that is not true.

hambon4lif
04-06-2011, 08:55 PM
you've only got yourself to blame for spreading it around.I once lost a girlfriend by saying that exact same thing out loud during an argument. No kidding.

SunisinuS
04-07-2011, 02:51 AM
I once lost a girlfriend by saying that exact same thing out loud during an argument. No kidding.

Oh I know that Chick!

I mean...her sister man her sister...

Shaun Ponsonby
04-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Please tell me that is not true.

If I did it would be a lie.

I find it hillarious. It's so desperate.

binnie
04-07-2011, 05:16 PM
It's unimaginative is all it is. She's like this decade's Daphne & Celeste.

Shaun Ponsonby
04-08-2011, 02:13 PM
...sans the bizarre Alice Cooper covers.

To me it sounds like a desperate attempt to appeal to exactly the kind of person who laps this shit up. Luckily, the people who do lap it up tend not to notice such things, so they'll probably like it. Power to them. Just keep it off my iPod.

binnie
04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Or any radio station/ music channel I happen to flick over.

That being said, I happened to catch the new J Lo video this week. A 40+ women getting down 'in da club'. Tragic.

ashstralia
04-08-2011, 05:09 PM
days of the week. cool song:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_4POA-4GYo

hambon4lif
04-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Rebecca Black "Friday" Threats Probed Cops Handling Two Cases Prompted By Viral Video Hit

APRIL 15--Police are investigating two separate criminal threats triggered by Rebecca Black’s “Friday,” the viral music video hit that has spawned nationwide contempt, The Smoking Gun has learned.
The Anaheim Police Department is probing “two active cases” that originated in Los Angeles, according to Sergeant Rick Martinez, a police spokesman.

While cases like this are usually handled in the jurisdiction in which the threats were received, Martinez said that since cops believe the threats were “directed towards Rebecca Black,” the matters are being handled by Anaheim detectives.

Black, 13, lives with her parents in Anaheim, an Orange County city about 25 miles from Los Angeles.

One threat was sent by e-mail to a production company and the other “was a telephonic threat relayed to her manager,” according to Martinez, who added that he thought one of the communications contained a death threat.
Martinez said that Anaheim cops are taking the threats seriously and “are actively investigating these cases and if we find out who sent them, we will ask for prosecution.”

While Black’s song has been derided as the worst performance ever committed to tape, the “Friday” video has, at press time, been viewed 103.5 million times on the official YouTube page of the Ark Music Factory, the production outfit responsible for penning the tune and producing the video.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/internet/cops-probe-rebecca-black-threats-645387

Kristy
04-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Heh, only a matter of time until Rebecca became the focus of a criminal investigation. Not that it's really all that interesting but I'd like to see those threats once, if ever, they become public.

Steve Savicki
04-19-2011, 10:31 PM

Kristy
04-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey it is my turn? Can I say it? Well I'm going to say it anyway...

STFU Steve.

Unchainme
04-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey it is my turn? Can I say it? Well I'm going to say it anyway...

STFU Steve.

always worth a "thanks".

I still don't understand Steve's whole "Schtick". I'm convinced he's somewhat autistic, just the way he posts, which are seemingly spammer-esque, kind of hints he was put with the slow kids.