PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal Book

Mr Walker
04-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Anyone pick this up?
I grabbed it off Amazon for $11.
I'll always like Trunk because of his undying loyalty to the band UFO, especially the Chapman era... but I'll be god damned over all the fucking Hagar love the dude sprays around.
It's like an oversized magazine and I have to say, some of the pictures are phenomenal. Eddie has a buddy who must have spent many years shooting concerts on the East Coast (right in my backyard in the tri-state area). Great shot of EVH on guitar with a big bra hanging off the stand circa 1980 and another great shot of KISS from the spectrum in 1979.
Listening to Trunk on the Opie and Anthony show and I have to hand it to comedian/actor Jay Mohr for calling Trunk out on his Sammy love and the shitty VH playlist he put in his book with all the shitty Van Hagar songs he stuck on it.
All things considered... even with a chapter dedicated to Bon Jovi (mind you a chapter is only a few pages), I'd recommend the book as great for reading on the shitter. Plus I amassed a lot of my favorite hard rock vinyl LPs the same way trunk did... winning them on the Seaside boardwalk.

ELVIS
04-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Is this an April fools joke ??

If not you should flush the rag down the shitter...

:elvis:

Mr Walker
04-01-2011, 09:44 AM
"This is the gayest shit I've ever heard" - Jay Mohr on the song 'Poundcake'... "This is garbage"
They are killing Trunk for leaving 'Unchained' off his list where he put 'Poundcake' on it.

Mr Walker
04-01-2011, 09:45 AM
"You fucking Dolt! How did you miss 'Hot For Teacher'!"

ELVIS
04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Trunk is an embarrassment to hard rock and metal...

Mr Walker
04-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Trunk is an embarrassment to hard rock and metal...

I disagree, but some of his opinions are questionable.

ELVIS
04-01-2011, 10:04 AM
He'sa lot like Hagar in that his work ethic has gotten him a long way, but he's still totally lame...

Mr Walker
04-01-2011, 10:10 AM
He'sa lot like Hagar in that his work ethic has gotten him a long way, but he's still totally lame...

Good point.

ELVIS
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Thankyaverymuch...

sadaist
04-01-2011, 11:18 AM

That's funny cause it makes me remember the interview with Eddie & Alex where Ed says about Sammy

"bottom line, the guys work ethic sucked"

LOLOLOLOL

Unchainme
04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
can someone tell me what qualifies Hagar as heavy metal singer?

really?

I mean if you're going down that road, shouldn't Mike Reno for loverboy be in the discussion, because the two's early work sounds remarkably similar. Or Jimmy Buffet for that matter? Who Hagar is trying to rip..err..I mean emulate since about the mid-90's?

without Roth and the classic van halen era of music that he was in, bands like Anthrax, Pantera, Motley Crue, would not have been nearly as inspired. Hell, bands like Green Day consider Classic Van Halen a major reason why they decided to get into music (Green Day sucks, but that's for another time)

Give me a reason why Van Hagar should be remembered at all. I have never heard a prominent musician of any sort give those years a ringing endorsement. Hell, even Ed and his Kid seem embarrassed by that shit.

Mr Walker
04-01-2011, 11:46 AM

They put that question to Trunk and he responded "the first 2 Montrose albums".
For the record... I disagree, I always found Montrose to be a very lame band.

hambon4lif
04-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Here's my list of Montrose songs that are worth a damn. (in no particular order)

1. Rock Candy
2. Rock Candy
3. Rock Candy
4. Rock Candy
5. Rock Candy

I may have left out some more that I'll think of later, but that's pretty much it.

Guitar Shark
04-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Here's my list of Montrose songs that are worth a damn. (in no particular order)

1. Rock Candy
2. Rock Candy
3. Rock Candy
4. Rock Candy
5. Rock Candy

I may have left out some more that I'll think of later, but that's pretty much it.

LOL... my thoughts exactly.

Mr Walker
04-01-2011, 12:10 PM

1. Rock Candy
2. Rock Candy
3. Rock Candy
4. Rock Candy
5. Rock Candy

here's my list of Montrose songs worth a damn...
5. :dafinger:

indeedido
04-01-2011, 12:34 PM

He had a song called Heavy Metal from the movie, Heavy Metal. :biggrin:

hambon4lif
04-01-2011, 12:35 PM
here's my list of Montrose songs worth a damn...
5. :dafinger:LMAO!

It's these new meds I'm on....they blend well with weed.

Plus I'm stoked! It's "Cheap Trick Day" here in Rockford, and we're all gonna go out tonight and we're all GONNA RAISE HELL!

sadaist
04-01-2011, 12:50 PM

1. Rock Candy
2. Rock Candy
3. Rock Candy
4. Rock Candy
5. Rock Candy

Agree. I'm not a Montrose fan. In fact not a fan of most of the 70's rock that was that style. The only Sammy Hagar stuff I kinda like is his solo stuff pre-VH. (NOT 55!)

Post-VH he is way too much like Jimmy Buffet.

Anonymous
04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
That's funny cause it makes me remember the interview with Eddie & Alex where Ed says about Sammy

"bottom line, the guys work ethic sucked"

LOLOLOLOL

Well, yeah, Edtard's work ethic has always been pristine, so he's more than entitled to criticize other people...

Cheers! :bottle:

chefcraig
04-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Post-VH he is way too much like Jimmy Buffet.

With the notable exceptions being that not only does Buffett write good songs and is an all around entertainer, but you don't feel like jabbing a pencil into your ear every time you hear him speak or sing. Besides that, David Lee Roth thought enough of the guy to cover "Tin Cup Chalice".

FORD
04-01-2011, 01:17 PM
With the notable exceptions being that not only does Buffett write good songs and is an all around entertainer, but you don't feel like jabbing a pencil into your ear every time you hear him speak or sing. Besides that, David Lee Roth thought enough of the guy to cover "Tin Cup Chalice".

Really wish Dave had included that on the "Diamond Dave" (mostly covers) album. Would be great to have a better version than the tinny distorted version from his radio promo tour.

indeedido
04-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I dig his version of Tin Cup Chalice too.

Jagermeister
04-01-2011, 03:29 PM
I think Eddie's name would carry more weight if it was Dick instead of Eddie.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I'd love to hear that Opie and Anthony interview....

twonabomber
04-02-2011, 12:23 AM
i'll never forget Trunk whining "why would they play those AWFUL songs?" in response to someone's question about the '96 VH tracks being played on the '07 tour.

Terry
04-02-2011, 08:58 PM

He is a bit lame. While he has memorized a considerable amount of raw data about bands (lineups, album credits, etc.), he pays far too much lip service / air time to second rate hair band posers for my tastes.

hideyoursheep
04-02-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry, you lost me at "Eddie Trunk".

GreenBayLA
04-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Not $pending any cash on a book penned by Eddie Junk in the Trunk. Watching That Metal Show is as far as I go. But he got one thing right, big fan of UFO.

Dave's Bitch
04-04-2011, 05:02 AM
I would love to stab Trunk in the eye with a fork or something.He seems to know his stuff about some things but the guy is just not likeable.He would look so much better with a fork in the eye

GreenBayLA
04-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Here ya go Dave's Bitch

http://discosalt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/scorpions-blackout.jpg

WACF
04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
i'll never forget Trunk whining "why would they play those AWFUL songs?" in response to someone's question about the '96 VH tracks being played on the '07 tour.

I agree with him on this....

Mind you...you could have dropped Jump and played one and I would of been OK with that....but the place went nuts for Jump...so it would never happen.

sonrisa salvaje
04-04-2011, 03:50 PM
He is a bit lame. While he has memorized a considerable amount of raw data about bands (lineups, album credits, etc.), he pays far too much lip service / air time to second rate hair band posers for my tastes.

I don't know. He gave a ton of time to Dio when he was alive and continues to give a lot of attention to Halford, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. You can't call them hair band posers. He generally tries to hype up anyone coming out with new music regardless if glam, metal or thrash. I think it is cool that he does what he does - pay attention to the genre of music that most people on this board are fond of. No one else out there gives a shit about it. I think Trunk is cool.

WACF
04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't know. He gave a ton of time to Dio when he was alive and continues to give a lot of attention to Halford, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. You can't call them hair band posers. He generally tries to hype up anyone coming out with new music regardless if glam, metal or thrash. I think it is cool that he does what he does - pay attention to the genre of music that most people on this board are fond of. No one else out there gives a shit about it. I think Trunk is cool.

His four hours on Sat radio is the best programmed by far.

I dig Trunk....he waves the banner for the older bands that many won't.

Besides...if not for Trunk I would not have gotten into Thin Lizzy or UFO...they just never got airplay in my market.

His love for Sammy is tough to take but...he props the classic six pack as untouchable and Classis VH as one of his favorite bands...

sonrisa salvaje
04-04-2011, 04:47 PM
His four hours on Sat radio is the best programmed by far.

I dig Trunk....he waves the banner for the older bands that many won't.

Besides...if not for Trunk I would not have gotten into Thin Lizzy or UFO...they just never got airplay in my market.

His love for Sammy is tough to take but...he props the classic six pack as untouchable and Classis VH as one of his favorite bands...

Yeah, i agree his love for Sam is over the top (no pun intended). I openly complained here about him starting off the show one night with a Montrose song, a Sam solo song and then a Van Hagar song all back to back. It really pissed me off. Like most talking heads, though, you don't agree on everything. The good he does outweighs the few things he does that irritate me.

Mr Walker
04-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Those two songs are awful

Jérôme Frenchise
04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
:beers8:
Anyone pick this up?
[...] but I'll be god damned over all the fucking Hagar love the dude sprays around. [...]

I would never get that book, even for a dime and even if dodally trunk. :beers8:

Hellraiser!!
05-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Eddie Trunk is interviewing Phil Mogg in this moment on his radio show!!

GreenBayLA
05-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Did he say anything about Pete Way or recording a new album? Rumor was their latest is their last...

Mr Walker
05-10-2011, 08:18 AM
I was following Trunk's comments on twitter that he was sending out from the opening night of UFO's current US Tour... said they opened with 'Wild, Willing & The Innocent'... pretty cool!

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 01:02 PM
As much as I rag on Spamulus Flatulus, I would give my left nut to have lived a life like he has:

1967 - While tripping on acid got to see Hendrix burn his guitar at Monterey (does not get ANY better than that)

Early 1970s - Got a legup into Major Label-land singing for a band signed to a major label.
Mid-1970s to Mid-1980s - has fairly successful solo career
Mid-1980s to Mid 1990s - FRONTMAN FOR VAN HALEN
Mid-1990s to Mid 2000s - Cuntinuation of solo career....builds up Tequila business...
Late 2000s - Sells majority interest in tequila business for 80 million dollars

All the while has a club in Mexico, house on the beach, all the booze and great pot he wants, can get hot bitches to slob his knob with no trouble.....

NOW....all I said was I would give my left nut to have lived a life like that. I am not saying I would want to be in his fucking shoes, because even though he has done all of the above, he has done so by writing, recording and performing non-stop Gerber Baby Food Rock for kiddies, and RUINED the greatest rock band on the planet.

IF I had the chance to live a life like that in MY shoes, I would at least have written some timeless, classic rock that is worth something. Instead of the lame drivel that has been drooling out of the asshole in his face since the late 70s.

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Oh, and Eddie Trunk.....at least we DO have a 'spokesman' for Heavy Metal. Despite his Gaygar-worship, and other minor deficiencies in his musical taste, etc. overall I am glad we have him around.

Diamondjimi
05-10-2011, 02:59 PM
When you put it in that perspective I have to agree with you on that HR. As for the Van Gaygar nut nibbling the guy does?

But we all know it would only take one single appearance from Diamond Dave on his show to change all that.....

Hardrock69
05-10-2011, 03:34 PM
He would be begging Uncle Dave to let him lick crap off the soles of Uncle Dave's boots!

Diamondjimi
05-10-2011, 05:24 PM
He would be begging Uncle Dave to let him lick crap off the soles of Uncle Dave's boots!

True dat!