PDA

View Full Version : April Fools - DEEP PURPLE: 'Made In Japan Complete' Due In August Not For Real

Jagermeister
04-01-2011, 03:22 PM
This looks like it would be fun to watch.

According to JonLord.org, next August will see the release of a new DEEP PURPLE DVD box set containing film all three of the band's Japanese concerts from August 1972.

Titled "Made In Japan Complete", the three-disc box set will coincide with the 39th anniversary of DEEP PURPLE's August 1972 Japanese tour.

Until recently, it was thought only a few minutes of fragmentary film footage existed from one of the shows. All of this was included on the "Deepest Purple" 30th anniversary reissue last year.

Now, several new rolls of film have been unearthed by the band's video archivist, and DEEP PURPLE's former keyboardist Jon Lord is looking forward to their release.

"These are historic recordings that we never even knew existed, but now everyone will be able to experience the band in full flight the way we were over those three very special nights in Japan," he said.

"I particularly look forward to re-living the amazing interplay we had between us. I shall sit myself down with a glass of red and watch it all."

Watch a preview of DEEP PURPLE "Made In Japan Complete" in the YouTube clip below.

chefcraig
04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
This is cool, but I wonder about this "new" footage. Over the years, I've seen several boots of the Japan shows from 1972, and a handful of this material showed up on a now out of print home video released in the early nineties called Deep Purple - Heavy Metal Pioneers (http://www.amazon.com/DEEP-PURPLE-HEAVY-METAL-PIONEERS/dp/B00007KFN3). Much of the same material has showed up on Youtube from time to time, but is always almost immediately pulled. With the tons of stuff these guys have in the vaults dating back to the late sixties, it's about time some of it saw a legitimate release.

Hardrock69
04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Oh my fucking god!

This is fucking incredible!!!!

Me wants!

Me wants it all now!!!!

FORD
04-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Let's hope someone on Howdy Doody Mountain sees this and takes the hint. I'd say this is comparable to Oakland '81 in terms of "legendary footage long believed to be lost".

Since this is the REAL Deep Purple, I'll be more than happy to buy it.

Diamondjimi
04-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Same here. DP is a band that understands the value of releasing vintage shows to their fans.

Terry
04-01-2011, 09:59 PM
My understanding is that the current entity known as Deep Purple will be scrapping all of the Blackmore audio from the cd/dvd releases and having Steve Morse overdub on top of the original recordings instead.:biggrin:

chefcraig
04-01-2011, 10:17 PM
My understanding is that the current entity known as Deep Purple will be scrapping all of the Blackmore audio from the cd/dvd releases and having Steve Morse overdub on top of the original recordings instead.:biggrin:

Don't laugh...within the next 5 -10 tears, the "Sharon Osbourne Business Strategy" just might become a course featured at universities throughout the United States. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that such a course isn't already being taught somewhere in California as part of a "Rock and Roll Economics" credit.

Hardrock69
04-02-2011, 03:21 AM
It is blasphemy to mention that kunt's name in a thread about such a legendary band. :mad:
;)

Mr Badguy
04-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Wow, what a cool April Fool.

chefcraig
04-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I thought it smelled kind of funny. :duh:

BLABBERMOUTH (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=156191)

FORD
04-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I always take anything Blabbermouth says with a big grain of rock salt, even when it's NOT April 1. But of course there was no link in the OP.

Terry
04-05-2011, 08:59 PM
There's supposed to be a dvd coming out this year called Gettin' Tight, which focuses on the 1975-1976 year of Purple, and will (obviously) contain lots of stories regarding Hughes and Bolin being coked-out smackheads.

All the principles of the MKIV lineup will be participating in the documentary, save for Bolin who was unable to contribute due to a slight case of death.

chefcraig
04-05-2011, 09:06 PM
There's supposed to be a dvd coming out this year called Gettin' Tight, which focuses on the 1975-1976 year of Purple, and will (obviously) contain lots of stories regarding Hughes and Bolin being coked-out smackheads.

The more I think about it, the less I wish to see this thing. For one, I'm always a bit skeptical about straight-to-video projects. For another, the footage will focus primarily on the disastrous Japanese tour, which featured Bolin so out of it that he couldn't even tune (let alone play) his guitar. Watching Jon Lord go on and on is bad enough (the man is an insufferable boor), but to hear about how miserable the experience must have been doesn't really sound like something I'd want to sit through, even once.

Mr Badguy
04-06-2011, 08:42 AM
I saw the date and clicked straight away.

Hardrock69
04-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I missed it.

God Dammit!

Me pissed off!

Would kill to have footage from those shows.

*sigh*

Oh well.

:(