PDA

View Full Version : Aerosmith To Release Yet Another Pointless Consumer Rip-Off May 10, 2011

chefcraig
04-01-2011, 07:48 PM
See if you can follow the logic in this...depending upon how you add it up, Geffen Records will release what amounts to be about the 13th or 14th Aerosmith compilation, titled Tough Love: Best Of The Ballads next month. The album oddly considers "Love In An Elevator" to be a ballad (which it includes), but not "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" (which it doesn't).

HUH? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-718.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)

Aerosmith To Release Ballads Album

BLABBERMOUTH (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=156211)/STEREOBOARD (http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/164594/9)

Coming on May 10 is AEROSMITH's latest hits collection, "Tough Love: The Best Of The Ballads". The album, which features 11 latter-day AEROSMITH favorites — with the band's 1973 classic "Dream On" closing out the set. "Tough Love" comes on the heels of The Hollywood Reporter posting that the band's catalogue has experienced a 250 percent sales hike since frontman Steven Tyler joined Fox's "American Idol" as one of the hosts of the show's 10th season.

Oddly, songs that in no way, shape, or form could be deemed "ballads" — such as "Love In An Elevator" and "Janie's Got A Gun" — are included on the album; yet the band's biggest ballad, 1998's No. 1 hit, "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing", is nowhere to be found on the new compilation.

Steven Tyler told The Pulse Of Radio that AEROSMITH releasing numerous compilations over the years shows that — unlike many of their peers — the band is truly unstoppable. (WHAT DRUG IS THIS GUY ON NOW? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-scared-smileys-707.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)) "We have that one thing about us, that we never quit, we never gave up, we always went on tour, and we always did an album," he said. "If you were to ask me, 'What's the greatest thing AEROSMITH ever did?' — we stuck around."

The Pulse Of Radio asked Tyler how a band like AEROSMITH — which is going on 40 years in the spotlight — can hope to revitalize itself every time out. "Maybe in the new songs," he said. "In writing new songs, you always come up with a new you. I think you should. You can always do another 'Dude Looks Like A Lady', another 'Dream On' — we always tap into something new."

Tough Love: Best Of The Ballads tracklisting:

01. Angel
02. Amazing
03. Love In An Elevator
04. Cryin'
05. What It Takes
06. Rag Doll
07. Crazy
08. Deuces Are Wild
09. Livin' On The Edge
10. Blind Man
11. Janie's Got A Gun
12. Dream On

Diamondjimi
04-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Aerosmith following the old "there's a sucker born every minute" philosophy ......

hambon4lif
04-01-2011, 08:37 PM
A few months ago I just said 'fuck it' and put together my own 'Greatest Hits' from their six-pack....

1. One Way Street
2. Mama Kin
3. Movin' Out
4. Walkin' The Dog
5. Lord Of The Thighs
6. S.O.S. (Too Bad)
7. Seasons Of Wither
8. Adam's Apple
9. Big Ten Inch Record
10. No More No More
11. Round And Round
12. Rats In The Cellar
13. Sick As A Dog
14. Nobody's Fault
15. Kings And Queens
16. Sight For Sore Eyes
17. No Surprize
18. Cheesecake
19. Three Mile Smile
20. Reefer-Head Woman

......THAT'S an Aerosmith Greatest Hits Album!

chefcraig
04-01-2011, 08:44 PM
A few months ago I just said 'fuck it' and put together my own 'Greatest Hits' from their six-pack....
.....THAT'S an Aerosmith Greatest Hits Album!

Yep, throw in "All Your Love" from Pandora's Box, "Chiquita" and "Think About It" from Night in the Ruts and perhaps "Chip Away the Stone" from Live Bootleg, and that pretty much covers things.

sadaist
04-01-2011, 08:45 PM
yet the band's biggest ballad, 1998's No. 1 hit, "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing", is nowhere to be found on the new compilation.

I'll bet a 6-pack of Grolsch ceramic flip lids that they are saving that tune for 'Volume II'. Makes perfect sense. Dream On on Volume I and the other biggie for Volume II.

Cashing in on the American Idol hype.

I guess it's still better than these guys trying to piece together 8-10 new songs since their minds & hearts aren't in it anymore.

And I have always HATED Love In An Elevator since the first time I heard it. One of the all-time worst songs ever! In any genre. And so fucking overplayed. Fuck I hate that song.

sadaist
04-01-2011, 08:49 PM

1. One Way Street
2. Mama Kin
3. Movin' Out
4. Walkin' The Dog
5. Lord Of The Thighs
6. S.O.S. (Too Bad)
7. Seasons Of Wither
8. Adam's Apple
9. Big Ten Inch Record
10. No More No More
11. Round And Round
12. Rats In The Cellar
13. Sick As A Dog
14. Nobody's Fault
15. Kings And Queens
16. Sight For Sore Eyes
17. No Surprize
18. Cheesecake
19. Three Mile Smile
20. Reefer-Head Woman

......THAT'S an Aerosmith Greatest Hits Album!

Whoa dude. No Dream On? I know it's been played the fuck out of, but damn. Still one of the most excellent songs in rock history. Only other thing is I woulda added Back In The Saddle & Toys . Best songs ever for when you're playing a game of pool.

chefcraig
04-01-2011, 08:51 PM
I'll bet a 6-pack of Grolsch ceramic flip lids that they are saving that tune for 'Volume II'. Makes perfect sense. Dream On on Volume I and the other biggie for Volume II.

They'll probably trot out "Walk This Way" and the usual album oriented tunes ("Sweet Emotion", "Toys...", ect.), and call Volume II something devastatingly queer like Rock Hard to go along with Volume I's Tough Love title.

hambon4lif
04-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Whoa dude. No Dream On? I know it's been played the fuck out of, but damn. Still one of the most excellent songs in rock history. Only other thing is I woulda added Back In The Saddle & Toys . Best songs ever for when you're playing a game of pool.I was going for a solid Aerosmith collection to play for people who think they're just about "Love In An Elevator" or that sappy-Barry Manilowish-Armageddon bullshit. People find out that they were a solid rock and roll band with kickass songs.
It's like when you play "Romeo Delight" or "Sinners Swing" for folks who thought Van Halen was just "Pretty Woman" and "Jump".....they flip the fuck out.

Just cutting past all the 'singles' and getting to the core of what made them such badass bands.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-01-2011, 09:44 PM
I just listen to "Live Bootleg" and leave it at that....

Terry
04-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Love the band up through Rock In A Hard Place.

Done With Mirrors through Pump had some great moments.

No use for anything after that.

SunisinuS
04-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Wow my first use of this emoticon far as I remember in the Army.

:barf:

Kristy
04-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Next to Queen, Rush, The Who, and Stones this type of marketing/packaging has to stop. What a way to destroy their own history

Kristy
04-01-2011, 10:39 PM
19. Three Mile Smile

Always loved that tune by them.

Unchainme
04-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Fucking Rocks is the best album they've ever done...Terribly underrated, would almost consider that there "Fair Warning".

Lick and a Promise is fucking amazing when they dive into the "...crowd keeps screaming for more..." and they mix in the crowd noise.

I feel they should have hung up it around '95.

chefcraig
04-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Fucking Rocks is the best album they've ever done...Terribly underrated, would almost consider that there "Fair Warning".

Lick and a Promise is fucking amazing when they dive into the "...crowd keeps screaming for more..." and they mix in the crowd noise.

I was 15, and walked into the record store. At the front was a wooden rack with the 20 or so latest releases, and Rocks was in the uppermost, left hand spot, which signified it was important by way of the way things were done at the time. Even the cover said "Buy Me!"

The inner sleeve was pretty damned cool, too. As the music was blasting away, you had this to look at...

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/4246/aerooo.jpg (http://img851.imageshack.us/i/aerooo.jpg/)

Hardrock69
04-02-2011, 03:26 AM
This news is some of the most stupid news I have heard concerning Aerosmith in a LONG fucking time.

Are they stupid? Back on drugs? Being forced to suck the corporate cocks at the offices of their record label?

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT FUCKING MIND WOULD RELEASE SUCH A FUCKING STUPID COMPILATION?

It smacks of record label greed. The set list is a perfect indication that is who is behind this. It is a perfect display of fucking retardation, stupidity mixed with greed and misguided marketing.

Only a fucking major label could decide to release such a worthless compilation, and fuck it up royally right from the start.

SunisinuS
04-02-2011, 03:36 AM
This news is some of the most stupid news I have heard concerning Aerosmith in a LONG fucking time.

Are they stupid? Back on drugs? Being forced to suck the corporate cocks at the offices of their record label?

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT FUCKING MIND WOULD RELEASE SUCH A FUCKING STUPID COMPILATION?

It smacks of record label greed. The set list is a perfect indication that is who is behind this. It is a perfect display of fucking retardation, stupidity mixed with greed and misguided marketing.

Only a fucking major label could decide to release such a worthless compilation, and fuck it up royally right from the start.

Perhaps the guy on American Idol?

FORD
04-02-2011, 03:54 AM
Next to Queen, Rush, The Who, and Stones this type of marketing/packaging has to stop. What a way to destroy their own history

AeroShit started destroying their own history the day they got out of rehab in the mid 80's :(

SunisinuS
04-02-2011, 04:55 AM

Cashing in on the American Idol hype.

I guess it's still better than these guys trying to piece together 8-10 new songs since their minds & hearts aren't in it anymore.

And I have always HATED Love In An Elevator since the first time I heard it. One of the all-time worst songs ever! In any genre. And so fucking overplayed. Fuck I hate that song.

You are just being played love in an Elevator. Numbnuts.

ashstralia
04-02-2011, 07:08 AM
'what it takes' is still the greatest rock ballad ever written.

binnie
04-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Would anyone argue that they are the greatest American rock 'n' roll band? They must be up there.

Their recent records have been a long way from the glory days, but I would argue that 'Nine Lives' is underrated - I know, I know 'I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing....'

Diamondjimi
04-02-2011, 11:20 AM

I feel they should have hung up it around '95.

Their plane could've crashed after Rocks and they would've died legends....

tojoro
04-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Could be, Binnie...I miss them, though. They were one of the few bands left with all of their original parts intact, made it through some dark and drug-addled years, but then they got into outside writers and playing it too safe. They used to be a dangerous band, much like Van Halen, but like Van Hagar, they started writing for top 40, instead of just writing.

binnie
04-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I know what you mean, but I think that it is more forgiveable with Aerosmith - a least they became 'middle aged' when they actually were middle aged, you know?

No one would suggest that anything from 'Pump' onwards is a patch on the '70s stuff - but that doesn't mean its pure shit or fluff either. One thing I'll always say about Aerosmith: they continue to make rock music that celebrates life. It's rare these days.

indeedido
04-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Aerosmith's use of all of these ballads killed rock as much as grunge did. Yawn, gag, snore.

sadaist
04-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Aerosmith's use of all of these ballads killed rock as much as grunge did. Yawn, gag, snore.

Yeah. There was a time where I wanted to punch Liv Tyler & Alicia Silverstone as much as Kurt Cobain & Eddie Vedder.

Kristy
04-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Would anyone argue that they are the greatest American rock 'n' roll band? They must be up there.

No, they are shit. Aerosmith was a promising band maybe way back in Chefcraig's time (did I mention he's old?) but when a group systematically destroys itself with drugs, alcohol combined with general depravity they should be regarded as being assholes. They must have made a LOT of money in their some 40+year career so where did it go? This is why I can't shitheads who use hardcore drugs and drink for history has proven drugs fuck up talent. Joe Perry hasn't written a decent or memorable riff in years. YEARS! My guess is the lion's share of their money went to cars, hookers and drugs; the whole opulent rock 'n' roll lifestyle of waste. I'm sure they are well off but do they need to keep on selling out their fans with this repetitive "best of" shit? Doesn't make them great at all.

sadaist
04-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Perhaps Joe & Steve have had it with each other once & for all due to the American Idol stuff. The last couple years have been pretty strained on these 2 guys relationship. If they still owe the record company a couple albums, maybe this is a good way to knock 1 commitment out without having to be in the same room together.

ELVIS
04-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Idol is a goldmine for Aerosmith...

The ballad album is a great idea to make tons of money off the Idol crowd...

binnie
04-02-2011, 01:13 PM
No, they are shit. Aerosmith was a promising band maybe way back in Chefcraig's time (did I mention he's old?) but when a group systematically destroys itself with drugs, alcohol combined with general depravity they should be regarded as being assholes. They must have made a LOT of money in their some 40+year career so where did it go? This is why I can't shitheads who use hardcore drugs and drink for history has proven drugs fuck up talent. Joe Perry hasn't written a decent or memorable riff in years. YEARS! My guess is the lion's share of their money went to cars, hookers and drugs; the whole opulent rock 'n' roll lifestyle of waste. I'm sure they are well off but do they need to keep on selling out their fans with this repetitive "best of" shit? Doesn't make them great at all.

I looked up what your name means - Kristy: never shy of an opinion. :D

A 'promising band'? That's a bit of an understatement: 'Get Your Wings', 'Toys In the Attic', 'Rocks', 'Draw The Line' and 'Night In the Ruts' is one hell of a back catalogue. I am curious as to who you think deserves the title of 'Greatest American Rock Band' if not Aerosmith?

I would agree that from the late 80s onwards the music has been of a lesser stamp - but I can't think of many bands who put out music in their 40s or 50s which is as good as it was in their 20s, so its hardly unique to Aerosmith. As for them needing money, I sincerely doubt it. Gene Simmons shamelessly rapes the corpse of Kiss's respectability, but he doesn't need the money he gets from it. This 'new' compilation is just the record company cashing in on American Idol.

Did they live the rock 'n' roll lifestlye? Hell yeah. And they're lucky to still be here. But what you rather rock stars do? Become Coldplay?

chefcraig
04-02-2011, 01:23 PM
No, they are shit. Aerosmith was a promising band maybe way back in Chefcraig's time (did I mention he's old?) but when a group systematically destroys itself with drugs, alcohol combined with general depravity they should be regarded as being assholes. They must have made a LOT of money in their some 40+year career so where did it go? This is why I can't shitheads who use hardcore drugs and drink for history has proven drugs fuck up talent.

They were never all that great to begin with, but they were not quite shit, either. OK, the rhythm section had more holes in it than a cheese grater, and if Whitford and Perry managed to get their guitars tuned in accordance with each other, it was because somebody had fucked up. Yet those are pretty much the "qualities" that define terrific rock and roll over the ages (New York Dolls, Gang Of Four, The Clash or The Replacements, anyone?). Lester Bangs once said that the world's greatest rock and roll band was any group of boneheads that got together in a garage for a particular night, and the idea of such a band being an altogether temporary thing holds weight. Some bands persist in spite of drugs, but even crusty old Keith Richards realized somewhere along the line that no amount of substances will enable you to write a good tune unless you have that ability in the first place. For me, Aerosmith couldn't hold together long enough to complete a single album's worth of merit, but a handful of songs from their first seven records still hold up to this day.

What's really odd is how awful some performers can become when they (supposedly) give up substance abuse. I mean seriously, has anyone here thoroughly enjoyed anything released by Aerosmith, the Stones, Jimmy Page, Pete Townsend or Eric Clapton in roughly (at least) the past 25 years?

SunisinuS
04-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Idol is a goldmine for Aerosmith...

The ballad album is a great idea to make tons of money off the Idol crowd...

What Did the Devil give you for your Soul Elvis? I know you are dead, is if you weren't...you would have killed Micheal Jackson.

Kristy
04-02-2011, 01:55 PM
A 'promising band'? That's a bit of an understatement: 'Get Your Wings', 'Toys In the Attic', 'Rocks', 'Draw The Line' and 'Night In the Ruts' is one hell of a back catalogue. I am curious as to who you think deserves the title of 'Greatest American Rock Band' if not Aerosmith?

Don't bring Coldplay into this: they are inhuman. Now, I'm not all that familiar with Aerosmith other then they were a 70's band. It's rare many decade bands merge in to the oncoming one (yeah, that made sense, somehow) and Aerosmith tried and failed apart from a occasional sympathy "hit" here and there. The 80's were multi-faceted with anything from synth-pop to spandex and even their abysmal conjunction with Run D.M.C. didn't help them. They no longer fit in so what else can you do but ride the wave of nostalgia? I can't stand to listen to the crap they have put out out since. It's pathetic commercial pop garbage and yes, that includes 'Jamie's Got A Gun' and 'Dude Looks Like a Boy George'.

Great American rock bad(s)? Not that I like their music but here is some cliches:

Credence, (early) ZZ Top (they also sold out), Petty & Heartbreakers, The Dead, Doors, Hendrix Experience (somewhat American), Springsteen

Kristy
04-02-2011, 02:05 PM
What's really odd is how awful some performers can become when they (supposedly) give up substance abuse. I mean seriously, has anyone here thoroughly enjoyed anything released by Aerosmith, the Stones, Jimmy Page, Pete Townsend or Eric Clapton in roughly (at least) the past 25 years?

No. And when was Jimmy Page ever enjoyable? All the acts you mentioned were more or less 60 or early 70's burn outs who were writing the book on the fucked-up lifestyle. Does heroin and cocaine add to the creative spirit of music? You could make for an argument that it does. The only problem being it is a short burst and then what? Just about all you mentioned record albums that tend to deal with a lot of introspective whining of their drug-induced heydays and how they tend to regret it. Townshend is the figurehead of that kind of writing tripe next to Clapton. Boring, bloated old rockers with no fresh ideas. When you become that it's time to get out of the park and let others on the playground.

chefcraig
04-02-2011, 02:20 PM
No. And when was Jimmy Page ever enjoyable? All the acts you mentioned were more or less 60 or early 70's burn outs who were writing the book on the fucked-up lifestyle. Does heroin and cocaine add to the creative spirit of music? You could make for an argument that it does. The only problem being it is a short burst and then what? Just about all you mentioned record albums that tend to deal with a lot of introspective whining of their drug-induced heydays and how they tend to regret it. Townshend is the figurehead of that kind of writing tripe next to Clapton. Boring, bloated old rockers with no fresh ideas. When you become that it's time to get out of the park and let others on the playground.

Precisely, and well said. It is remarkable that this sort of introspective whining ever found an audience to begin with. I mean it, how can a 15 year old kid (or even a functioning adult) relate to some of that road-weary nonsense? I always doubted the whole "She left me and I don't know why" laments about groupies that some of these bozos pulled off, mainly because you only get one side of the story (the guy's) and the fact that the writer treated her in an abusive manner is never brought up as a cause. Hell, even Townsend's musings on the notion of dealing with the trappings of fame, while altogether fascinating in the abstract, were pretty much six miles over the head of anyone listening who simply wanted to party and rock out when their parents were not around.

The truth is (as you stated), the "artists" I initially mentioned should have packed it in years ago. Look at Steven Tyler. I dunno about you, but to me there is something inherently and downright creepy about a guy old enough to be my grandfather (just imagine how old that is) dressing like a 14 year old girl from the eighties or acting as if every night is an opportunity to party like it's 1999.

Kristy
04-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Crap like this:

I remember being richer than a king. The minutes of the day were golden. I recall that when the joint passed round. My body felt a little colder
But now I'm like a sewer channel - running lime and scag. Let me get at the master panel - let me at my stack."

So he did heroin and like Richards, became a millionaire out of doing so. But I cite these lyrics simply because it's not rock 'n' roll. This is the sort of idyllic shit you say in a therapist office or a Narc-a-Non meeting. This is what I mean by how bloated, boring and deluded they have become. If they want to poison themselves and their bodies and minds than more power to them but leave it off of a record.

binnie
04-02-2011, 02:50 PM

The problem is not that they cleaned up so much as they got old and lost their hunger. It is, frankly, unfair to expect rock n rollers to perform with the same vibrancy at 55 that they had at 25. Jazz might be different, blues might be different, classic might be different, but rock depends on piss and vinegar.

The only real exception to the 'getting old' syndrome seems to be Killing Joke, whose last album is staggeringly sincere.

binnie
04-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Don't bring Coldplay into this: they are inhuman.
Great American rock bad(s)? Not that I like their music but here is some cliches:

Credence, (early) ZZ Top (they also sold out), Petty & Heartbreakers, The Dead, Doors, Hendrix Experience (somewhat American), Springsteen

The Coldplay line made me laugh heartily.

Looks like The Doors are the greatest Maerican rock band then.

binnie
04-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Crap like this:

I remember being richer than a king. The minutes of the day were golden. I recall that when the joint passed round. My body felt a little colder
But now I'm like a sewer channel - running lime and scag. Let me get at the master panel - let me at my stack."

So he did heroin and like Richards, became a millionaire out of doing so. But I cite these lyrics simply because it's not rock 'n' roll. This is the sort of idyllic shit you say in a therapist office or a Narc-a-Non meeting. This is what I mean by how bloated, boring and deluded they have become. If they want to poison themselves and their bodies and minds than more power to them but leave it off of a record.

I'm a little confused now. Above you criticsed Aerosmith for living the rock n roll lifestyle (spending all of their money on cars, drugs and hookers.) Now you're criticising guys for forsaking that lifestyle and writing about giving it up as 'not rock n roll'.

The problem with those lyrics is not their subject matter, it is the fact that someone who can't write is trying to be poetic, which always comes off as trite.

Kristy
04-02-2011, 02:57 PM
For an American band. But it's generational.

chefcraig
04-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Crap like this:

Yech, the words to "Slit Skirts" were pretty awful, weren't they? "Let me tell you some more about myself"...Uh, that's OK Pete. Really, no thanks. :puking-smiley:

That sort of writing worked on By Numbers and Empty Glass, but on both of those albums Townsend used some harsh, deprecating humor that occasionally revealed some actualized insights instead of a bunch of self-pitying horseshit. The introspection didn't result in a bunch of self-loathing navel gazing that only a masochist would write, or even more improbably, enjoy listening to.

Kristy
04-02-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm a little confused now. Above you criticsed Aerosmith for living the rock n roll lifestyle (spending all of their money on cars, drugs and hookers.) Now you're criticising guys for forsaking that lifestyle and writing about giving it up as 'not rock n roll'.

If they want to forsake their former lifestyle for heavy drug use, that's okay, too. What I am saying is why make (another) career out of it?

binnie
04-02-2011, 03:17 PM
If they want to forsake their former lifestyle for heavy drug use, that's okay, too. What I am saying is why make (another) career out of it?

Ok, I see now.

I guess they make another career of it because you can only write about what you know. When they're doing sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, they write about how great it is. When the shit hits the fan and they have to sober up, the 'clarity' which comes with sobriety allows them to see how awful addiction is/was. They still love playing, but they need a topic, y'know?

Interesting - to return to the subject of the thread - I'm not sure that Aerosmith have ever been that guilty of writing about addiction, woe is me, being a multi-millionaire sex machine is so hard, type of crap that Townsend et al descended into. (Someone will probably correct me by listing a ton of songs where they did that now....) It seems to me that for Aerosmith - high or not - good times were always good times, and music was always life affiriming (regardless of its quality.)

chefcraig
04-02-2011, 03:21 PM

I have a real chip on my shoulder when it comes to any entertainer, be it an actor, athlete or particularly a musician advocating just about anything. The late comedian Pat McCormick once said "Show me an actor without a tv series, and I'll show you an activist." I think that about sums it up.

Kristy
04-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Well, I get so tired of rock star talking about their (former) addictions rather than making new records. Doing heroin whether it be past or present doesn't make you any more interesting or special.

Kristy
04-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Interesting - to return to the subject of the thread - I'm not sure that Aerosmith have ever been that guilty of writing about addiction...

Maybe not the band as a whole but Tyler sure did. I've read interviews where all he seems to want to talk about is his drug and alcohol days. And you can tell that drugs have really affected his mannerisms in that some of the residual effects of cocaine is paranoia. No wonder he feels Perry is out to get him. Elton John said the same of Bernie Taupin that he was after his money and really it was a side effect of cocaine. To me, it's just such a waste to have good talent slowly degrade into self-destruction even if they don't die from the lifestyle. And, again, I don't want to hear on a record, either. Whether it be good or bad. If you no longer drink, great but don't go on and on about it. Instead write another 'Rats In The Cellar' riff that is more fresh and creative than the original and move forward.

binnie
04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I have a real chip on my shoulder when it comes to any entertainer, be it an actor, athlete or particularly a musician advocating just about anything. The late comedian Pat McCormick once said "Show me an actor without a tv series, and I'll show you an activist." I think that about sums it up.

I have no problem with them advocating anything, or becoming activists. In fact, were I lucky enough to be fantastically wealthy, I would like to think that I would help many good causes. My problem with this facet of celebrity is when those causes are used to enhance public status.

If you're going to donate money, or do charity work, more power to you. But don't sell shit on the back of it - talk about pimping the misery.

sadaist
04-02-2011, 04:08 PM
I am curious as to who you think deserves the title of 'Greatest American Rock Band' if not Aerosmith?

http://halen.com/evh/modules/PNphpBB2/files/vh_memorial_day_962.jpg

Anonymous
04-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Yep. All that shit is just to get attention. Thing is, just because I like seeing, for example, Joey DeMaio on stage, it doesn't mean I'm interested in anything else he has to say about whatever issue other than musie that he may be interested in.

Not that Joey would pull such a stunt. I guess that's why I'm still a fan of the guy.

Speaking of Manowar, why do people still pay attention to lyrics? I mean, I used to, back when I was a teenager & was still looking for beliefs to affirm myself & shit, but over time, I stopped paying attention to the "meaning" of the lyrics & nowadays, even if I'm singing along some favourite song, the words don't really mean anything, it's more about the musical phrasing, so to speak.

Bottom line, musicians should play music, actors should act & keep their fuckin' opinions to themselves. I don't care about your fuckin' personal points of view or life lessons, or activist messages... ENTERTAIN ME, MOTHERFUCKER. THAT is why I'm giving you my money.

As for Aerosmith, I really like "Rag Doll". Just sayin'.

Cheers! :bottle:

Anonymous
04-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I am curious as to who you think deserves the title of 'Greatest American Rock Band' if not Aerosmith?

Yeah, kind of an obvious choice, when you think about it...

Cheers! :bottle:

binnie
04-02-2011, 04:25 PM

Sadly, the 'Van Halen' name has soiled by the crap that came after 1985. Giving them the accolade of 'Greatest American Rock Band' would display an honour on Hagar he is decidedly unworthy of.

sadaist
04-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Sadly, the 'Van Halen' name has soiled by the crap that came after 1985. Giving them the accolade of 'Greatest American Rock Band' would display an honour on Hagar he is decidedly unworthy of.

In my mind it is still early 1985 and Van Halen is on MTV right now. WOOT! And Sammy Hagar? I just saw his Drive 55 video. That guys a fag!

Don't burst my time warp bubble Binnie. Being 1985, I still don't know that the girl 3 houses down from me (Heather) isn't ever gonna let me fuck her.

binnie
04-02-2011, 06:42 PM
In my mind it is still early 1985 and Van Halen is on MTV right now. WOOT! And Sammy Hagar? I just saw his Drive 55 video. That guys a fag!

Don't burst my time warp bubble Binnie. Being 1985, I still don't know that the girl 3 houses down from me (Heather) isn't ever gonna let me fuck her.

Well, in 2011 Heather is probably 50 pounds uglier and 3 or 4 leagues down the scale. A bit like Van Halen, actually.

FORD
04-02-2011, 07:07 PM

Did you forget someone off that list?

I mean, I assume you found this website for a reason.....

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/van-halen-color-pic.jpg

(and of course, I do NOT include Van Hagar or the Van Danniels abortion in this ranking)

Terry
04-02-2011, 08:41 PM

Their recent records have been a long way from the glory days, but I would argue that 'Nine Lives' is underrated - I know, I know 'I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing....'

I'd say if I consider their entire career I'd rank Aerosmith up there among my favorite American rock bands, although in the 40 years they've been putting out records it's only the first 20 of those years that matter to me.

I wouldn't go so far as to say EVERY track they released post-Pump sucked. However, if I never hear any of that material again I won't be missing a thing.

Honestly, it is pretty difficult for ANY band to be around as long as they have and continue to put out excellent rock music, or even music that lives up to the apex of their career. Matter of fact, off the top of my head I simply can't think of any who have done it.

At some point down the line, Aerosmith became an institution like a lot of other rock acts with that longevity. They're in that fucked if they do, fucked if they don't position where some people want to hear nothing but the classics from them, while others bitch and moan that the band coasts on their back catalog and when the band do release something new 90% of the folks complain that "it isn't as good as their old stuff". Plus, these aging bands seemingly embrace the financial aspects of the industry much more openly than they did in their heyday, thus making it appear as if "they're only in it for the money now" when the truth is virtually ALL of these rock bands were in it for the money all along.

It's just the onset of time and being a band that in the beginning has to earn their reputation vs. an aging act that can afford to coast on it.

Hardrock69
04-03-2011, 04:33 AM
The thing about Aerosmith is that they went through what every band with longevity goes through: They change.

They arrive on the scene and blow everyone's mind, and maybe they keep it up for 5 or 6 albums. Then they decide they want to "expand their horizons", and they alienate their core fanbase who loved them for what they did originally. Perhaps they eventually decide to go home again, and record an album or two that goes back to their roots (Heaven & Hell, anyone?), but more likely than not, like Robert Plant, they will refuse to return to their roots, using the lame old excuse "I've done that before, why should I do it again?", never mind that they could easily write an entire new album of songs in the same style they did before, and have a lot of fun performing the NEW songs that did NOT exist 'back in the day'.

It happened to Led Zep. They were shit hot for the first 5 albums or so, then you got Presence, then In Through The Out Door, then of course an abrupt ending.
Aerosmith was great up to Pump. Man, I will never forget putting on Pump for the first time and getting my ass kicked by Young Lust. After that began their decline.

I got an album of theirs a few years ago as a birthday present...the 'blues' album with the pink cover that was recorded in Joe Perry's home studio.

I listened to that abortion one time, and literally threw it away. It was not even worthy to be a drink coaster.

Sure hope VH and co. can re-create that initial Al Jolsen meets Led Zep on Steroids kind of vibe again.

But I gave up on Aerosmith long ago. I finally got to see them for the first time in 1999, and I was bored shitless. I could not wait for them to be done, but I did not get up and leave early because a) I was there with my youngest sister who loves them, and b) I was damn sure going to sit through the fucking show to get my money's worth out of the ticket I bought.

I think Aerosmith oughta retire. They made their millions. They have their legendary place in history. Continuing to record and or tour is just beating a dead horsie with an Aerosmith logo burned into it's ass until it is just a dark, greasy smudge in the dirt.

Terry
04-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Yech, the words to "Slit Skirts" were pretty awful, weren't they? "Let me tell you some more about myself"...Uh, that's OK Pete. Really, no thanks. :puking-smiley:

That sort of writing worked on By Numbers and Empty Glass, but on both of those albums Townsend used some harsh, deprecating humor that occasionally revealed some actualized insights instead of a bunch of self-pitying horseshit. The introspection didn't result in a bunch of self-loathing navel gazing that only a masochist would write, or even more improbably, enjoy listening to.

Even though All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes did contain more than a few pretentious verses, I'll take that album over just about anything put out under the name "The Who" post-Moon.

Terry
04-03-2011, 04:14 PM
The thing about Aerosmith is that they went through what every band with longevity goes through: They change.

They arrive on the scene and blow everyone's mind, and maybe they keep it up for 5 or 6 albums. Then they decide they want to "expand their horizons", and they alienate their core fanbase who loved them for what they did originally. Perhaps they eventually decide to go home again, and record an album or two that goes back to their roots (Heaven & Hell, anyone?), but more likely than not, like Robert Plant, they will refuse to return to their roots, using the lame old excuse "I've done that before, why should I do it again?", never mind that they could easily write an entire new album of songs in the same style they did before, and have a lot of fun performing the NEW songs that did NOT exist 'back in the day'.

It happened to Led Zep. They were shit hot for the first 5 albums or so, then you got Presence, then In Through The Out Door, then of course an abrupt ending.
Aerosmith was great up to Pump. Man, I will never forget putting on Pump for the first time and getting my ass kicked by Young Lust. After that began their decline.

I got an album of theirs a few years ago as a birthday present...the 'blues' album with the pink cover that was recorded in Joe Perry's home studio.

I listened to that abortion one time, and literally threw it away. It was not even worthy to be a drink coaster.

Sure hope VH and co. can re-create that initial Al Jolsen meets Led Zep on Steroids kind of vibe again.

But I gave up on Aerosmith long ago. I finally got to see them for the first time in 1999, and I was bored shitless. I could not wait for them to be done, but I did not get up and leave early because a) I was there with my youngest sister who loves them, and b) I was damn sure going to sit through the fucking show to get my money's worth out of the ticket I bought.

I think Aerosmith oughta retire. They made their millions. They have their legendary place in history. Continuing to record and or tour is just beating a dead horsie with an Aerosmith logo burned into it's ass until it is just a dark, greasy smudge in the dirt.

I'll give Plant credit for going off after the demise of Zeppelin and doing projects under his own name that didn't stylistically trade in on the Zeppelin sound from the get-go, even if the results didn't always particularly move me. Truth be told, not every single thing Zeppelin ever did was a home run to my ears, either.

I dunno. If people still want to pay to see Aerosmith, who am I to say they should pack it in? To me, Aerosmith is just another one of those bands that these days are along the lines of The Stones, KISS and the like (and there seem to be more and more of these old timer groups falling into this category)...where their reason to exist as a band now has more to do with keeping up their lifestyles than anything else. I suppose there's nothing wrong with that in a grand sense, inasmuch as plenty of people have jobs that aren't particularly inspiring and serve to pay the bills beyond all else. The downside is contrasting where these bands are now with what it was about them that turned me on in the first place years ago.

Sadly, Van Halen has fallen into that category.

Kristy
04-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Truth be told, not every single thing Zeppelin ever did was a home run to my ears, either.

None of it was to mine. I will never understand how a band like Zep can be so bad and yet so popular years after their demise.

chefcraig
04-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Even though All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes did contain more than a few pretentious verses, I'll take that album over just about anything put out under the name "The Who" post-Moon.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. The Who should never have gone ahead with Kenny Jones, as Face Dances and It's Hard proved by being uniformly awful, only saved at all by John Entwistle's tunes. Supposedly, Townshend had little if anything to do with It's Hard, as he wasn't even around for rehearsals or the recording. He did play the long solos on two tracks, but Roger Daltrey and Andy Fairweather-Low are responsible for most of the guitars on the album. This was a good decision, because Townshend was obviously in no condition to play. Listen to his sloppy, unfocused soloing on "Eminence Front", which for all intents and purposes sounds like a bad Wes Montgomery parody compared to the live versions recorded nearly a year later. And the less said about the virtually unlistenable Endless Wire debacle, the better.

Hardrock69
04-04-2011, 03:17 AM
Goddam....Steven Tyler just keeps slumming around.....

I was watching the 10 o'clock news here in Gnashville tonight, and of course they had highlights of the Academy Of Cuntry Music Awards show this evening....fucking Steven Tyler out front with some chick singing "Walk This Way" without a live band.

Oh well. Like I give a flying fuck about them any more. :umm:

GreenBayLA
04-04-2011, 04:09 AM
Aerosmith hasn't been on Geffen records for over 15 years, new CD is cashing in on Idol exposure. But it appears we will see new material from Van Halen before Aerosmith. Both bands have trashed their image to the point that it's embarrassing to say you're a fan anymore. But despite that I'm glad they're still around and would buy an album of new material from them.

Hey Kristy, here's a slamming Joe Perry riff for ya, circa 2005. He still rocks, Tyler wants hits.

Dave's Bitch
04-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Thing is,I will probably still buy this :)

ashstralia
04-04-2011, 05:00 AM
that's awesome greenbay... thanks

Unchainme
04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnlDSQ_524Q

this is right when they went completely down the shitter...

Get a Grip and Nine Lives still had a few decent tunes, but this..right here....:puking-smiley:

FORD
04-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Tyler provided the sequel to that embarrassment last night at the Country Music Awards, with one of his fellow American Idol whores.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbbIvGVQqKk

Diamondjimi
04-05-2011, 12:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnlDSQ_524Q

this is right when they went completely down the shitter...

What a shameful Clusterfuck! :splooge:

GreenBayLA
04-05-2011, 03:37 AM
That Super Bowl had waaay too many posers up there but Britney looked hot in her vintage Rock in a Hard Place t shirt.
Flame away but I actually really dug Tyler's duet w/ Carrie Underwood, a fun one-off.

hambon4lif
04-05-2011, 11:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbbIvGVQqKkCarrie's too barbie-dollish. I want to see how she'd look messed-up after a wild hot fucking....preferably by ME!:)

Kristy
04-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Tyler provided the sequel to that embarrassment last night at the Country Music Awards, with one of his fellow American Idol whores.

The guy has already sold his soul years ago. What he does with his life now couldn't be any more uninteresting.

Kristy
04-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Carrie's too barbie-dollish. I want to see how she'd look messed-up after a wild hot fucking....preferably by ME!:)

She's a fucking disgrace to women. She really is. I'm not getting on any feminist bandwagon but all our little Carrie offer up is song after song of male-bashing rhetoric. Used to car pool with a person who loved her shit. Why, I have no idea. But every one of her tunes was this anti-male, males are evil horseshit. Fucking talentless hack. Her voice just grates my nerves. No wonder Tyler who seems to have no respect for himself anymore would do this.

hambon4lif
04-05-2011, 01:32 PM
She's a fucking disgrace to women. She really is. I'm not getting on any feminist bandwagon but all our little Carrie offer up is song after song of male-bashing rhetoric. Used to car pool with a person who loved her shit. Why, I have no idea. But every one of her tunes was this anti-male, males are evil horseshit.Oh, I'm hip to that already. She could take a Louisville Slugger to both headlights and carve her name into the leather seats all she wants to, because if I was dating her, I'd be smart enough to drive a rental....or a bicycle.:biggrin:

Kristy
04-05-2011, 01:33 PM
You'd be better off running far away from her as you can get.

hambon4lif
04-05-2011, 01:48 PM
You'd be better off running far away from her as you can get.Yeah, you're right. But life just isn't as interesting when you 'know any better'...

FORD
04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
She's a fucking disgrace to women. She really is. I'm not getting on any feminist bandwagon but all our little Carrie offer up is song after song of male-bashing rhetoric. Used to car pool with a person who loved her shit. Why, I have no idea. But every one of her tunes was this anti-male, males are evil horseshit. Fucking talentless hack. Her voice just grates my nerves. No wonder Tyler who seems to have no respect for himself anymore would do this.

Most ironic thing about this is that men are probably writing her songs. :biggrin:

ELVIS
04-05-2011, 02:15 PM
You'd be better off running far away from her as you can get.

Like men do to you ??

ELVIS
04-05-2011, 02:16 PM
BTW, the Tyler/Underwood performance was pretty decent for what it was...

chefcraig
04-05-2011, 02:32 PM
BTW, the Tyler/Underwood performance was pretty decent for what it was...

Yes and no. Carrie Underwood is easy on the eyes. However, in terms of being a pandering, virtually unlistenable and bizarrely awkward show-biz stunt, it won't make anyone forget that mawkish Bing Crosby/David Bowie Christmas duet.

Kristy
04-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Like men do to you ??

No. More like what your patients do to you.

Kristy
04-05-2011, 03:15 PM
'Cause I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up four wheel drive. (I) Carved my name into his leather seat. I took a Louisville slugger to both head lights. (I)Slashed a hole in all four tires maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.

And, maybe next time Carrie, you'll think what it means to go to prison for 6 to 8 months with some heavy medication and intense counseling. Really, this whole psychotic chick being justified thing is more than slightly disturbing when it becomes "cute." Most girls would simply walk away.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/events/DGG-018334.jpg

You might want to touch up on those roots, dear. Y'know, just in case he cheats.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
She can't be all that bad, she married a hockey player after all....

hambon4lif
04-05-2011, 03:40 PM
She can't be all that bad, she married a hockey player after all....I'm sure that was the attraction. That way, she could just tell the cops he acquired all of his cuts and bruises from 'the game'.

binnie
04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Like men do to you ??

Does this mean you're a Carrie Underwood fan?

chefcraig
04-05-2011, 03:42 PM
She can't be all that bad, she married a hockey player after all....

Yep, so when he gets caught up in an illegal gambling ring, he can blame her for it.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q124/cdnuniguy/Kings/gretzkyjones.jpg

ODShowtime
04-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Well at least this release makes it very clear. There is no longer any debate about Aerosmith's worst album. This takes the cake. All the worst crap rolled up into one convenient package!

I agree with elvis though it is a great way to exploit Tyler's role on American Idol.

ELVIS
04-06-2011, 08:00 AM
This Aerocheese album is just what many Idol watchers like...

FORD
04-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Like most "greatest hits" (or greatest shits) albums, it's gonna need a new song to sell it. Tyler will probably record one of his duets with Carrie Underwood. Or Sammy Hagar, if he really wants the full cheese impact.

Dave's Bitch
04-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Would anyone argue that they are the greatest American rock 'n' roll band?'

I would.Toss up between Aerosmith and Kiss :) (And the mighty Guns N Roses;))

hambon4lif
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Steven Tyler brings in the 'Noise' in memoir
By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAYUpdated 15h 12m ago |
LOS ANGELES — Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, that romanticized Boomer cliché, gets a booster shot of head-spinning authenticity in Steven Tyler's brash memoir, Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?, out today.

In his hyperactive tone and razzle-dazzle lingo, the Aerosmith singer alternately revels in debauchery and celebrates sobriety, sharing his hectic life story of success and excess.
"I've always played both sides of the fence," Tyler, 63, says of his reckless past. "I never wanted to taste honey without getting stung. I just went out too far."
Unwinding after an American Idol broadcast, Tyler picks at a plate of sliced apples and ham in his trailer on the CBS Studios lot where the Fox series is staged. Girlfriend Erin Brady prepared green tea, but Tyler opts for blackberry water. He has changed out of the flamboyant get-up he wore at the judge's table into a pink T-shirt and jeans, but he's still flashing the stacks of bracelets, wing pendants, raccoon-teeth choker and earrings. A Jolly Roger is draped behind him, alongside a "Booty Way" street sign.

He's in typical manic form, a beehive of scattershot salvos, sentimental one moment, seething the next.

"It's not my take, it's what is," Tyler says of Noise (Ecco, $27.99), written to set the record straight and serve as a cautionary tale to young bands. It's also an act of revenge against managers, label executives and colleagues who betrayed him.
"There were things I couldn't do to get back at people, so I wrote a book," he says.

The Bronx-born Steven Tallarico realized his rock star fantasies after rising to fame in the '70s as singer for the Boston-based band that set out to be America's Rolling Stones. Since 1973, Tyler, guitarists Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, bassist Tom Hamilton and drummer Joey Kramer have sold more than 100 million records globally, racking up nine multiplatinum albums on the strength of such top 10 hits as Dream On, Walk This Way, Janie's Got a Gun and their sole No. 1, 1998's I Don't Want to Miss a Thing.

Tyler chronicles Aerosmith's rise, fall, infighting, drug sprees, sexcapades and rehabs, along with his lechery, failed marriages and frayed bonds to four children. He addresses low points (the night in 2009 when he was "nicely loaded" and fell off stage, angering bandmates, who didn't call for 27 weeks). And he riffs on the rock world (when Keith Richards' girlfriend Anita Pallenberg finds Tyler's black magic book under their guest room bed, she screams, "Are you here to cast spells on us?").

A telling line appears on page 102: "Pretty much anyone who wants to be a rock star is by definition a raging narcissist — then just add drugs!"

Both sides of the line
Tyler ingested staggering amounts of illicit substances in Aerosmith's first decade. By 1983, he was broke and hooked.

"I blew $20 million," he writes. "I snorted my Porsche. I snorted my plane. I snorted my house in that din of drugs and booze and being lost."

Now, he says, "I probably spent $10 million on drugs in my life. In the early days, tripping and hallucinating was wonderfully beautiful. Who knew how things would turn out?"

Drugs played a creative role, he argues, in Noise: "For those who OD'd ... drugs are bad! ... Are all drugs bad just because some of them took over my life from time to time? I wrote some beautiful songs under the influence."

Aerosmith's classic hits "wouldn't have sounded like that if it wasn't for those drugs," Tyler says. "And we would never have been able to do four or five shows in a row in the '70s if we hadn't been high. Peruvian marching powder, we called it."

He insists he's not conflicted or excusing his drug rampages.

"Everyone who does them like that winds up dead or in jail or in institutions," he says. "Thank God I wound up in a few of the latter."

He's especially critical of prescription painkillers and benzodiazepines like Xanax and Valium, the "new plague" of drugs that sent him on his most recent rounds of rehab after surgery for nerve-damaging Morton's neuroma. He still suffers foot pain and insomnia.

"If I can't sleep, I stay up," he says. "I've had many nights of crying because I can't walk. My balance is off now."

Tyler endured a rash of ills in recent years: a knee ligament injury, hepatitis C, back pain, a torn blood vessel in his throat.

"I can still sing good!" he proclaims. His first U.S. solo single, soaring pop-rock tune (It) Feels So Good, arrives May 10. A timetable for new Aerosmith tunes is less certain owing to continuing rancor in the ranks.

His Idol role, which he accepted impulsively last summer at the urging of ousted judge Kara DioGuardi, added to the tension (Perry derided the show as "one step above Ninja Turtles").

Tyler's rejoinder? "I'm not hanging out with people who don't believe in me," he says.

As for his persistently positive feedback to contestants, he says, "It's not a show about criticism. It's a show of hope. We're not putting people down. We brought talent to be reckoned with this year. I don't want to be harsh with them. I don't want to say, 'What's wrong with you? Who told you to pick that song?' Well, I can blame that on (producer) Jimmy Iovine. The kids don't know any better."

In Noise, Tyler rails against managers and labels that he says preyed on the band's naiveté, turning a blind eye to drug consumption while extracting large chunks of earnings.

"We wrote a couple of songs, and all the moths came to the light," he says. "When you manifest the light, you become a dartboard for other people's fears, doubts and insecurities. They stole our money. They made us overwork and gave us drugs. We were a commodity to them."

And he recounts a long-running love/hate tie to Perry, writing, "Joe is cool, Freon runs in his veins; I'm hot, hot-blooded Calabrese, a sulphur sun beast, shooting my mouth off. ... Right off, there was teeth-grinding competitive antagonism."

Known as the Toxic Twins for their drug-fueled partnership, the two have sparred for decades. Tyler fired Perry in 1979. Last year, the band auditioned singers to replace Tyler, prompting his lawyer to fire off a "cease and desist" letter. Today, Aerosmith is in limbo, despite Tyler's entreaties. Its last album of originals was 2001's Just Push Play.

"I sent two letters in the last year to my band saying, 'Enough with the lawyers and managers. Let's get together,' " he says. He, Hamilton and Kramer recently recorded demos in Los Angeles.

"Joe had prior commitments," Tyler says. "We'll do what we always do, Joe and I. In the last minute, we'll write another Love in an Elevator. I love him so much. All I ever wanted was a brother. When my mom passed (in 2008), I needed him bad, and he disappeared. I needed my band, and it seems like they only need me when there's another tour. I'm a dancing bear and a cash cow to some members of my band."

He adds with a laugh, "If that's what I am, maybe I should get more money!"

Noise both praises and denigrates his bandmates. Tyler's not sweating their reaction.

"I don't think Brad will care," he says. "Joey loves me. Joe may have some things to say, but I didn't write anything that isn't true. I don't care if people are hurt. I had to move on. I learned to love them despite what they did to me. I'm angry, but I'll make them love me again!"

New and old fans
The past decade has not been the band's best, but Tyler "is very much in the spotlight," thanks to armies of Idol fans, says Rolling Stonesenior writer Brian Hiatt, who predicts success for a properly timed, quality Aerosmith disc. "I would never bet against them. You can't rule out how many lives they have."

Though it lacks "huge bombshell revelations," Noise presents a frank, full and colorful accounting of the band's tumultuous history, Hiatt says. "It doesn't disguise the fact that for many years, it was a lot of fun to be Steven Tyler. He doesn't put moral scolding on top of every tale of partying. The book really captures his voice. He's much more lucid than the stereotype might suggest."

While amusing, Tyler's "unique and bizarre jive talk ... goes off on weird tangents, and he can seem more interested in saying things in a funny way than saying things of substance," says David Marchese, Spin magazine's associate editor.

An example: "I've been ... holler-logged and Yeller Dawged; sanctified, skantified, shuck-and-jived, and chicken-fried; black-cat boned, rollin' stoned, and cross-road moaned; freight-trained, achin-heart pained, gris-gris dusted, done got busted; bo-weeviled, woman eviled."

Marchese expects Noise to entice hard-core Aerosmith fans and classic rock lovers more than young Idol fans, whose parents might be horrified by the cocaine-and-groupie smorgasbord.

Idol may be softening Tyler's image, he says. "Something like Idol sands all the rough edges. You forget how dangerous and vital and exciting Aerosmith was and probably still can be on the right night."

Solo tour ahead?
If Tyler can't kick-start Aerosmith, "I'll tour with a full-on orchestra and do every ballad we had, soppy or not, and the next year I'd go out with Elton John or Jeff Beck," says Tyler, adding that he declined an offer in 2008 to join Jimmy Page in a reconstituted version of Led Zeppelin. "It's all there for me. I just happen to love my band more."

He no longer puts his band before his family, however. Tyler dotes on grandson Milo, 6, son of actress Liv Tyler, 33, his daughter from a fling with model Bebe Buell. His volatile marriage to Cyrinda Foxe, who died in 2002, produced designer Mia, 32. He had two more with second wife Teresa Barrick: model Chelsea, 22, and college student Taj, 19.

Fidelity? Not his strong suit. He had a deeper pact with cocaine.

"I'm very much in love with Erin, and I still love my ex-wife (Teresa) and Bebe and Cyrinda," he says. "I love that I can be real, that I have that in me now. That I can say I'm sorry."

Tyler is not among the swaggering, hedonistic autobiographers who claim no regrets. He especially laments his wild ride's collateral damage.

"Looking back, I would have taken getting high out of the equation," he says. "I would have spent time with Liv. I would have been faithful to my wife. I'm an alpha. I jump into things without thinking."

Yet he makes no apologies for his stunted adolescence.

"I'm glad I haven't grown up," he says. "I never want to. I get glimpses of adulthood in my sobriety, and I hate it."

hambon4lif
05-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Diamondjimi
05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Will there ever be an interview with Tyler where he doesn't bring up drugs?:biggrin:

Notice you rarely hear Joe mention it, unless he's asked of course... ;)

binnie
05-03-2011, 06:23 PM
They both probably get asked about it.

Drugs are more interesting than talking about Aerosmith's latest ballad....

Diamondjimi
05-03-2011, 06:38 PM
So fucking true!

Terry
05-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Although now instead of repeating the endless round of stories about how he cleaned up in the mid 1980s, Tyler now gets to blather on about how he cleaned up after his latest relapse.

Boring as fuck.

I liked Aerosmith better when Crespo and Dufay were in the band...and Tyler was smacked out of his fucking gourd...much more than anything these guys have put out since Pump.

Kristy
05-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Will there ever be an interview with Tyler where he doesn't bring up drugs?

Never. What's left of his cerebellum (before Idol) no longer has to neurons to cause other memory synapses to fire. Poor guy. Still, I don't feel at all sorry for him.

lesfunk
05-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Rehab is a religion too ya know

Dave's Bitch
05-05-2011, 06:07 AM
SO buying that

Jagermeister
05-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Say what you want about Aerosmith but Tyler is the one you should focus your attention on. Dave should be jealous and take some lessons. Tyler is on the cover of People, Rolling Stone and has had inserts in many other rags. Dude is on fire right now. He and the band both stand to reap rewards from his Idol gig.

Terry
05-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Say what you want about Aerosmith but Tyler is the one you should focus your attention on. Dave should be jealous and take some lessons. Tyler is on the cover of People, Rolling Stone and has had inserts in many other rags. Dude is on fire right now. He and the band both stand to reap rewards from his Idol gig.

Not to be a dick, but these days making the cover of People and Rolling Stone and hosting American Idol...this is the kind of shit aging, half-assed rockers with dubious amounts of talent to begin with (like, say, Bret Michaels, Vince Neil or Jon Bon Jovi) aspire to. And these things may well be where Steven Tyler's head is at these days, but that in no way means Roth has to follow suit.