PDA

View Full Version : Comment of the Day: Hating on Record Labels

Blaze
04-02-2011, 11:26 PM
John Hudson – Tue Mar 29, 5:58 pm ET

News that record label executives don't like Amazon's new streaming music service really ruffled the feathers of Wire reader TheRantGuy. The new service allows you to upload music files on Amazon's servers so you can listen to them anywhere. Music labels don't like it for two reasons: 1) they want users to pay for listening to music across different devices and 2) users could be uploading "unauthorized" downloads (i.e. pirated music). But TheRantGuy isn't having it.

Could somebody please tell the record label executives that you're not only closing the barn door after the horse has left but the horse went down the street, had a drink, met a cute horsette, had six baby horses, got dragged to the mall, went on a fishing trip with his horse buddies and retired already?

Lord...your model is dead...done...nobody wants CD's...nobody wants full albums...it's over...things change...I am not going to buy a record, then a tape, then a CD, then a super-CD, then a super-duper-CD of the same song over and over and over again.

I will buy it ONCE and then own it forever on ALL of my devices!

Thanks for reading, everyone. And be sure to check out Open Wire, where you can share links, feedback, and opinions on the stories you think we should be covering.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/20110329/tc_atlantic/commentdayhatingrecordlabels36188

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/nws/p/atlantic_wire_660x65.png

From
Anthony Tue Mar 29, 2011 09:48 pm PDT

Record labels...
They give artists $1mil for 3 albums. If one album makes it 10x platinum the label makes $1bil profit. the artist who made it however, gets only $1mil and still owes 2 albums. That's why so many big names start their own label. To get more of the profit they deserve. The rest, make money charging bars or night clubs for them to hang out in for an hour. Or concerts etc. Poor labels. They're a ripoff and their piracy views are a scheme to rip you off even more. And what do they do for the artists that justify taking 99% of the profits. Not much.

Anonymous
04-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Horsette?

I know he was trying to be funny - or I hope so - but it still smacks of fuckin' retardedness.

Plus, that weren't not even ranty enough for someone what calls hisself TheRantGuy.

He's right, though. Them corporate moguls didn't half killed the record industry with their greediness. And perfect sound quality aside, it's MUCH more convenient to just have the mp3 on your computer & give 'em a listen every now & then than getting up, pulling out your CD off the shelf, place it in your stereo, give it a whirl, remember another album before this one's over, get up, eject the CD, put it back in the case, pull out the other one, put it in the stereo, ENUFF ALREADY!

The sound quality is shit, anyways. Vinyl has always been the best medium, but the greedy moguls have already realized that & are now overpricing the shit out of the things, so your best bet is getting a decent Soundblaster, decent speakers & rip yer mp3 with decent quality & get it over with. What's the point of FLACs, by the way? Since the quality of the CDs is already shitty, what are you trying to do, polish a fuckin' turd? You're not gonna recover them lost bits by ripping the CD to an insanely large file, you arsehole! You're listening to the exact same shit I'm listening to with a decent mp3 but you're to stupid to realize it!

Now, ladies & gentlemen, THIS is a rant.

Cheers! :bottle:

Blaze
04-03-2011, 12:32 AM
:biggrin:

twonabomber
04-03-2011, 12:48 AM
to stupid to realize it!

just sayin'... :D

storage is cheap, i ripped everything to WAV. my chosen devices all play WAV, i have no need to go MP3.

but yeah, he's mostly right. the "for every band that we make money on, there are ten that we lose money on" model is outdated. it was always an industry based on failure...why should we feel bad for the labels now?

Anonymous
04-03-2011, 01:08 AM
OF COURSE, in the whole friggin' post, the only spelling error would have to be THERE.

It's one of them things, innit? Destiny, or what have ya. What's even more insulting is that I remember quite clearly having pressed the 'o' twice, but maybe the second time I tapped it too lightly.

Cobblers!

Any road, storage IS cheap, but let me stress again that while an mp3 of & under 192kbps IS noticeably different from a CD on a decent stereo with decent speakers, at 224 the difference is negligible. So, unless you're sitting there listening to every note with undivided attention, it's a waste of space that could be better utilized by having that space to store your favourite series, games & pr0n.

I remember listening to Judas Priest's 'Hard as Iron' on vinyl & the thunder sound effect was simply EPIC. On a CD? Not so much... a disappointment, really. So, what's the point?

But yeah, it's incredible how just a couple years ago you had to juggle your music collection 'cause there weren't enuff space in your disk, but nowadays a ten season american series doesn't even begin to clutter the space you have available.

Fuck, you can even have your own private TV channel with these terabyte disks.

Cheers! :bottle:

Blaze
04-03-2011, 01:05 PM
just sayin'... :D

storage is cheap, i ripped everything to WAV. my chosen devices all play WAV, i have no need to go MP3.

but yeah, he's mostly right. the "for every band that we make money on, there are ten that we lose money on" model is outdated. it was always an industry based on failure...why should we feel bad for the labels now?

We don't feel bad for them. March on! March on!

ODShowtime
04-06-2011, 07:07 AM
I can't believe we're in a position where the album is no longer the preferred music medium. What a fucking regression. What bullshit. Back to the 60s. I hate music fans and labels these days. It's over. It's ruined. Fuck.

And yeah, new vinyl is great, but fucking $30-$40 a disc? Jesus H Christ these greedy sons of bitches can rot in hell. I'd LOVE to pick up fresh copies of old classics on LP but not if they're priced to 'save the labels' god damn greedy worthless parasitic incompetent shit stains! FUCK my passion is dead!

ashstralia
04-06-2011, 09:33 AM
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff418/davej253/777.jpg

what are these worth?