PDA

View Full Version : Whoops! Looks like the Charlie Sheen tour is NOT WINNING!

BITEYOASS
04-03-2011, 04:58 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20110402/ENT05/304020002/Charlie-Sheen-s-Detroit-show-gets-jeers-few-cheers?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Charlie Sheen's Detroit show gets jeers, few cheers at Fox Theatre

Apr 3, 2011

Sheen Scene: A reporter's perspective: A complete wrap-up of Charlie Sheen's first show in Detroit. From the atmosphere before the actor hit the stage to after, an in-depth look at the event people will be talking about for some time. / MIKE BROOKBANK / DFP

Charlie Sheen at the Fox Theatre for "Violent Torpedo of Truth/Defeat Is Not An Option" show on Saturday April 2, 2011 in Detroit, MI. / ROMAIN BLANQUART/DFP

Charlie Sheen's "My Violent Torpedo of Truth/Defeat is Not an Option" tour opened in Detroit on Saturday night with a boom. By the time he stepped off the stage a little after 10 p.m., it was an official bomb.

Wearing a Detroit Tigers jersey with "Warlock" emblazoned on the back, Sheen delivered a monologue, played videos, sat in the front row and talked loosely with the audience. But it didn't result in much of his famed catchphrase: "winning."

In front of a rowdy, often-dissatisfied sold-out Fox Theatre audience of 4,700 people, the embattled sitcom actor ranted and raved about anything and everything.

Trust me, "this is going somewhere," Sheen said as the crowd pondered his self-declared "radical" opening monologue. The 20-minute speech included many of his catchphrases, along with sayings like, "one giant heartbeat and one conscious thought."

But about 30 minutes into the show, the usual Sheen-isms started to sound old and tired. From the men's restroom to the expensive seats in front, it was a restless crowd, delivering plenty of jeers and only a few cheers.

The show had video montages throughout, including a "20/20" outtake reel that showed off his self-deprecating sense of humor. His so-called goddesses helped him burn a "Two and a Half Men" bowling shirt. Before it was all over, he asked the crowd if the goddesses should come out again. And then he asked them: How many goddesses do you have?

The show was a reminder that the pop culture phenomenon is serious about his beliefs, but most of the crowd wasn't entertained by the loose and disorganized attempt.

Valerie Piascik, 23, of Harrison Township said the videos were better than Sheen's live performance. "Wow, I am not sure what that was," she said from outside the Fox as Sheen was still on stage.

Bryan Gill, 53, of West Bloomfield said he was hoping for the best but saw the worst. "It was absolutely disappointing," he said. "Truly, it sucked."

Sheen, visibly worried that he was losing the audience, at times appeared close to becoming abrasive. He never completely fell apart, but at one point, he did tell a heckler, "Sorry dude, already got your money."

Near the end of the evening, with the booing intensifying, the 45-year-old Sheen slipped off stage in favor rapper Dirt Nasty. And then at about 10:10 p.m. -- roughly 70 minutes after Sheen's portion had started -- the houselights came on and most of the disappointed crowd headed for the exits, shell-shocked or angry.

For those who hung around, his "true, die-hard" fans, Sheen returned to the stage for about 15 minutes for meet-and-greets and the like.

WRIF-FM (101.1) host Drew Lane said if the tour continues like this, Sheen's career will be in jeopardy.

"It was bad," Lane said. "People were upset, but I don't think they knew what to expect. He's a movie star, not a stand-up comic."

chefcraig
04-03-2011, 05:06 PM
When tickets went on sale here on March 19, I wondered if there would still be a tour (let alone a Charlie Sheen) in progress for the show on April 23. I haven't had this much doubt about a tour holding together since the last time Guns & Roses were announced to play here.

ELVIS
04-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Losing!

lesfunk
04-03-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't understand what ticket buyers thought was going to happen.

LoungeMachine
04-03-2011, 07:46 PM
I would have booked this trainwreck in a heartbeat.

:gulp:

Wonder what his guarantee was.

indeedido
04-03-2011, 07:53 PM
What do those people expect? A REAL show? He's a nut, they will get what they pay for, tired strange rambling rants.

SunisinuS
04-03-2011, 08:05 PM

You as a Bass player should know how you follow the beat...... They just were flashed by something they thought was fun.....then the groove kicked in.

Anonymous
04-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Well, I guess his little stunt didn't work quite as he intended to, much like Sugus & his posts.

Instead of wanting to see more of Sheen, people are only interested in seeing more of Sheen's "meltdowns".

Still, 'twas a good effort. Had it worked, a year of overpaid work would've probably enabled Charlie to fund his lifestyle for another decade or so...

Cheers! :bottle:

lesfunk
04-03-2011, 09:31 PM
You as a Bass player should know how you follow the beat...... They just were flashed by something they thought was fun.....then the groove kicked in.

The groove however, was not about "the pocket". It was only about the "pocketbook"

Terry
04-03-2011, 09:44 PM

I was sitting in an airport a few weeks ago waiting to catch a flight home when the missus called and told me that Sheen was going "on tour" and a date for our area had been announced. She was like "should we go?" "Fuck, no" was my response.

I mean, I enjoyed watching his radio show call-in/tv talk show train wreck rants, but only in doses of no longer than several minutes. It was fun watching him in small doses for a few days. After that, it became tiresome.

Why in the fuck would I want to pay ANY amount of money to see him in person doing the same thing AFTER the novelty factor of seeing his post-binge ravings has worn off?

I think Sheen and his handlers have confused the amount of people rubbernecking at his wacked-out life as somehow being an actual fanbase who approves of what he's doing, or that every fan of that shitty sitcom he was in were gonna turn out in droves to see him perform onstage. Would be willing to bet more people are cheering him on in hopes that he continues to fuck up than anything else. Like, doing a lot of coke, fucking strippers and referring to your friends as "my posse" might have been something I thought was cool when I was in my twenties. To see a guy closing in on 50 with kids in the house still doing that stuff...it seems both predictable, sad and a bit passe.

Seshmeister
04-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Everywhere there were stand-up comics having a little laugh to themselves.

Remember when John McEnroe decided he was going to become a guitar hero? Same kind of thing.

BITEYOASS
04-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Sheen probably used the profits from that gig to purchase the motor city's finest 7-gram rocks! LOL

Seshmeister
04-03-2011, 10:14 PM
People complaining about paying money to this shit is like complaining that you hate motor racing but went hoping for a fatal car crash and didn't get one.

Seshmeister
04-03-2011, 10:20 PM
I think Sheen and his handlers have confused the amount of people rubbernecking at his wacked-out life as somehow being an actual fanbase who approves of what he's doing, or that every fan of that shitty sitcom he was in were gonna turn out in droves to see him perform onstage. Would be willing to bet more people are cheering him on in hopes that he continues to fuck up than anything else. Like, doing a lot of coke, fucking strippers and referring to your friends as "my posse" might have been something I thought was cool when I was in my twenties. To see a guy closing in on 50 with kids in the house still doing that stuff...it seems both predictable, sad and a bit passe.

Absolutely.

You find this in 'real life' too.

The things you thought were cool about that pal who always took it to the fucking limit, if they are still doing it now become a bit sad and worrying.

Although saying that there's no need to join the 90% of drones out there waiting for death but not even realising it.

It's a fine line...

BITEYOASS
04-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I'd rather watch wrestling. Yeah it's fake, but I would get my money's worth.

Seshmeister
04-03-2011, 10:46 PM
It's definitely the same genre... :)

Anonymous
04-03-2011, 10:50 PM
I'd rather watch wrestling. Yeah it's fake, but I would get my money's worth.

So, you don't watch films, series, cartoons, play video/electronic games, or anything else of the sort, do you?

It's definitely the same genre... :)

Quiet, Mel Gibson.

BITEYOASS
04-03-2011, 11:18 PM
So, you don't watch films, series, cartoons, play video/electronic games, or anything else of the sort, do you?

Films? Most of the time I watch them on Netflix or TV

Series? All of my favorite shows have been cancelled and I usually don't have time for them.

Video/Electronic games? Use to, but then I'd get bored with them after winning the first time.

As for Live Entertainment, I do that as much as possible. I think wrestling is stupid, but not as retarded as seeing Charlie Sheen live.

Anonymous
04-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Films? Most of the time I watch them on Netflix or TV

(...)

As for Live Entertainment, I do that as much as possible. I think wrestling is stupid, but not as retarded as seeing Charlie Sheen live.

Well, you do realize that films are fake, right?

BITEYOASS
04-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Well, you do realize that films are fake, right?

No shit, sherlock! I guess that explains all that brain damage I received while boxing in Raging Bull. LOL

BTW, this show is fuckin hilarious:

Anonymous
04-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Well, I'm just sayin' that the while the fact that you don't like wrestling is quite understandable, the reason you point out for not likin' it is not.

Seshmeister
04-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Martin Sheen really seems like a nice guy but he's just another example of how the whole AA ethos is fucking unhelpful pretend woo woo bullshit.

sadaist
04-04-2011, 01:18 AM
If I were in a decent job making $75k per year and nothing else was happening on a Saturday or Sunday night, I would go see this tour. It might be entertaining and it's one of those weird events that 15 years later you can say you were there. Might be a fun night out with a few friends & drinks.

But I don't have a job that provides me with much disposable income right now. Sorry Charlie.

But if you look at the crowd from the shows so far, they appear upper middle class yuppie types ages 35-50.

Hardrock69
04-04-2011, 03:08 AM
On CNN today they showed the Detroit Fiasco, but then showed the next show in Chicago - it was a rousing success relatively speaking.

For him to put on a 'tour' where he just walks out and starts rambling just shows how out of it he truly is. And anyone who would spend good money to witness such rubbish are 'losing' as well.

Seshmeister
04-04-2011, 10:52 AM
He's just put this on YouTube. 30 odd thousand hits so far, be interesting to see how many by the end of the day.

Nitro Express
04-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Planet earth is just one giant insane asylum. Right now the inmates are running the fucker.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Just got scammed out of $25. Bought Tiger Woods DVD entitled "My Favorite 18 Holes". Turns out it's about golf.

Absolute waste of money.

Pass this on so others don't get scammed!

Best Regards,

Charlie Sheen

sadaist
04-04-2011, 01:46 PM
He's just put this on YouTube. 30 odd thousand hits so far, be interesting to see how many by the end of the day.

Not bad. Had some really funny moments. But he was a lot funnier when the shit was just rolling of his tongue naturally. It's obvious as his mind comes back to him he is trying too hard to fit that certain image.

7 out of 10