PDA

View Full Version : Green Lantern

sadaist
04-07-2011, 12:18 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I am worn the fuck out on superhero movies. So many of them nowadays. I miss the days when it was just Superman & Batman. That being said, this looks fucking amazing! I'll start with the first trailer that most people didn't like all that much. Then the new longer trailer just released that is just fucking EPIC!

I can't wait to see this movie.

EPIC NEW TRAILER now

Anyone else gonna see this?

ULTRAMAN VH
04-07-2011, 03:47 AM
I have to respectfully disagree. As a kid, my friends and I spent many a Summer day kicking back and reading comic books. Of course, back in the 70's comics were only 25 cents. The fact that hollyweird now has the technology to bring these fables to life on the big screen, is just awesome. I say bring on as many of these popcorn films as they can dish out. And yes after fans went apeshit over the first trailer, its good to see there were improvements made to prevent a big budget bomb. The previews for Thor are looking mighty good too.

sadaist
04-07-2011, 04:30 AM
Tis all good Ultra. I just never really got into comics as a kid. Maybe because we kinda lived in the sticks and I didn't have a place to buy them that was close-by. Either way, I'm excited to see this Green Lantern flick.

As a teen I did have almost all of the Judge Dredd comics. But that movie was a huge letdown.

chefcraig
04-07-2011, 08:37 AM
This will suck air, abruptly vanish a week after it arrives in theaters, then drop off the planet entirely after it's DVD release three months later. Think I'm kidding? What happened to that Green Hornet movie from a while back?

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7673/1981279158e09659a18.jpg (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/1981279158e09659a18.jpg/)

binnie
04-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Can't say many comic movies have been much good to be honest (the last two Batman films notwithstanding.)

These films usually have a hot girl in them, however, which may - ahem - pluck up my interest. Who's filling that role here?

ULTRAMAN VH
04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
This will suck air, abruptly vanish a week after it arrives in theaters, then drop off the planet entirely after it's DVD release three months later. Think I'm kidding? What happened to that Green Hornet movie from a while back?

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7673/1981279158e09659a18.jpg (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/1981279158e09659a18.jpg/)
Actually its rare that any movie released these days in U.S. theaters has a shelf life of two weeks or more, before heading to the DVD factory for a second life in home theaters. Notice most Summer blockbusters are spaced for release about two weeks apart from one another, as to not cut into ticket sales.

Anonymous
04-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Miracles CAN happen. Who'd've thought Christian Bale wouldn't suck splendidly as Batman, let alon, be good in the role? And then, to prove that it only rains where it's already wet, all the pent-up aggression of bein' labelled as "the gay cowboy" finally got to Heath Ledger & he delivered a performance that set the bar of acting just way too high. Holy fuck, seeing that was absolutely surreal.

All this to say that while superhero films generally suck harder than a crack whore tryin' to get a good dose & you could literally count the good using the fingers of one hand before these last two Batman films - all three Superman with Cristopher Reeve & the two Burton's Batman with Keaton - sometimes, what should logically amount to a shitload of crap - again, Batman - may suddenly take a left turn & hit you smack in the face, leaving you stunned at its brilliance.

Which, of course, will not be the case with Thor & Green Lantern.

Cheers! :bottle:

hambon4lif
04-07-2011, 12:09 PM
They've already fucked up the original story to this one, and that pisses me off.

I hope it tanks!

chefcraig
04-07-2011, 12:22 PM
This on the other hand, might work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J3HfllvXWE

DavidLeeNatra
04-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Green Lantern looks not that bad...and I was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge comic fan as a kid and love almost all the superhero movies now. too bad Superman was a mess...

sadaist
04-07-2011, 04:09 PM

At first I would have agreed with you. But the Green Hornet was nothing more than another cheap attempt at crude comedy to promote the star that was in it. It was a teen date night comedy.

The Green Lantern on the other hand looks like they are trying to make a serious blockbuster. Action and drama with only traces of subtle comic relief that re more in the actors expressions and delivery rather than how the entire script is written.

I'm always skeptical with blockbusters. But I'm spoiled. I grew up with Christopher Reeves in Superman 1 that had Gene Hackman as Lex Luther. I grew up with Indiana Jones & Han Solo kicking asses. Darth Vader being one evil motherfucker. And at home on TV I had Bruce lee beating peoples faces in on one channel, and a Japanese guy in a rubber Godzilla suit on another. And the best boxer in the world was Rocky...who moonlighted as the best rogue military figure of all times.

So no matter the amount of special effects, these new movies don't do it for me. I saw Ghost Rider, Hulk, Godzilla, Iron Man, Transformers, and a lot of the others...........I was entertained at the time, but a hero or villain didn't come home with me. And that's what's missing. The connection.

What's the theme song for Ghost Rider? Don't know it do ya?

But when a dog in the neighborhood is chasing you, or you are darting in and out of traffic what do you hear in your head? the Indiana Jones theme song. 30 years later and any time you need to pull some great escape to save your ass, I bet that song is going off in your head. (as you reach for your chefs hat as the fridge door is about to slam down on your arm)

Anyways, I think Green Lantern has the potential to be as big & popular as Iron Man. And I think it will outshine Green Hornet by a mile. But no, none of todays super movies will even touch the predecessors.

sadaist
04-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Can't say many comic movies have been much good to be honest (the last two Batman films notwithstanding.)

These films usually have a hot girl in them, however, which may - ahem - pluck up my interest. Who's filling that role here?

Blake Lively

Decent looking enough. But I think she is like a Megan Fox. Great to look at wet, not so great to watch act. Which is why you might notice she isn't in the second longer trailer for the movie.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/a-blake-lively-pic.jpg

THEDOCTOR
04-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I think Green Lantern will be good. I have to admit I don't think Ryan Reynolds was the guy for this part. Hal Jordan was never a wise -ass which Reynolds seems to do quite well playing. Jordan was always more serious. A guy like Nathan Fillion to me would have been more suited for this and Reynolds more for say,The Flash(Wally West version).
Green Hornet. Ugh. This was an actor/writer trying to make a superhero comedy and figured the best bet was Green Hornet. Had they done the Kevin Smith treatment it would have been the original Hornet's son,and Kato's daughter and after reading that story made into a comic ,it would have been much much better. Shit a few years ago they talked about George Clooney and Jet Li in the roles. Way better casting than Seth Rogen and Jay Chau. Hornet just sucked.Period.
Thor is sort of an almagamation of the mainstream comic,the "Ultimate" universe,and the movie universe. I feel that again the casting should have been Alexander Skarsgård who plays(ironically) a vampire VIKING,in True Blood. The guy was perfect for it. But perhaps Chris Helmsworth will surprise us all. The problem that I feel this movie will suffer from is too much "fish out of water" (Thor being relegated to banishment and being "human" for too long and not enough of the movie will show what people want to see-Thor being THOR and kicking ass.
Captain America- One of my favorte comic characters. I do think this will be good,although I was hoping for Jensen Ackles in the role to give (he was in the final 5 I think) because Cap truly is a tortured soul,losing his partner and his friends and family by time displacement. I think he could have brought that quality to the role. Chris Evans is going to have to prove to me he is worthy of this. I wasn't impressed by his portrayal of Johnny Storm,and for that matter,why pick a guy who already WAS a Marvel Character? Captain America will eventually be a guy that a God and A Billionaire industrialist will follow without question....Is Evans a guy that can command that? Only time will tell....

sadaist
04-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Shit a few years ago they talked about George Clooney and Jet Li in the roles. Way better casting than Seth Rogen and Jay Chau. Hornet just sucked.Period.

Wow. If they would have gotten those 2 guys and made it more of a serious effort to be a real superhero movie, argh...now I feel cheated of what could have been.

I can't see Clooney ever playing a superhero again after the whole Batman fiasco.

chefcraig
04-07-2011, 07:30 PM
It's astounding how consistently Hollywood manages to foul up movies, regardless of the source material. You can probably count the number of good films made based upon Stephen King stories on the fingers of one hand. You can probably count the same number of decent comic book adaptations the same way. And just what the fuck is so difficult about translating a tv series to film? Aside from The Untouchables, The Fugitive and a few Star Trek films, can anyone here name even one that was worth a shit?

sadaist
04-07-2011, 07:44 PM
And just what the fuck is so difficult about translating a tv series to film? Aside from The Untouchables, The Fugitive and a few Star Trek films, can anyone here name even one that was worth a shit?

Miami Vice movie broke my heart. Yes, I was one of those dorky kids in the 80's that LOVED that show. Crockett living on a boat with a pet alligator = bad motherfucker. I really loved that show and a show called Crime Story that came on after it for a season. And Hollywood fucking ruined it!

Um......Twilight Zone movie was pretty cool. The Simpsons movie was entertaining. But no more than any regular episode of the show. It just seemed like a long special episode rather than a movie.

But you're right Chef. I am having a hard time thinking of anything else that was good. It's just as bad when they go the other way and make a movie into a TV series. Young Indiana Jones anyone?

Anonymous
04-07-2011, 08:03 PM
WHAT MIAMI VICE FILM??? THERE WAS NO MIAMI VICE FILM.

And what's more, I can backup that claim by stating before god, king & country that I have never watched any film labelled as such, nor will I ever.

Crime Story was two seasons & it KICKED ARSE! Ray Luca was one stylish, bad muthafucka.

"I'm a-walkin' in the rain... tears are fallin' n' I feel the pain...

Fuck yeah.

chefcraig
04-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Miami Vice movie broke my heart. Yes, I was one of those dorky kids in the 80's that LOVED that show. Crockett living on a boat with a pet alligator = bad motherfucker. I really loved that show and a show called Crime Story that came on after it for a season. And Hollywood fucking ruined it!

Crime Story was outstanding, and was produced by Vice's Michael Mann. (Still can't get my head around how badly he screwed up the movie of his own show.) This might interest you: Remember when Paul Michael Glaser was directing all of those Miami Vice episodes? During a break in the shooting schedule, he gathered up a bunch of folks from the television crew that Mann regularly employed on either Vice or Crime Story, and shot a pilot about a group of young punks that are forced to work together as part of their jail sentence. All of the networks passed on it, so it was released as a feature film. If you can find it, it's called Band Of The Hand and is really quite good.

And I still believe that Michael Mann's version of Red Dragon (called Manhunter, unbelievably filmed and released in 1986, the same year as Band Of The Hand and Crime Story) is ten times better than the crummy 2002 version. In fact, all the films that came after Silence of the Lambs seemed to be rip-offs capitalizing on the popularity of Hannibal Lector. Mann's film was first, and therefore untainted by any of that greedy baloney.

Dan
04-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Looks Too Sweet As To Miss.:hitch:

Anonymous
04-07-2011, 08:53 PM
And I still believe that Michael Mann's version of Red Dragon (called Manhunter, unbelievably filmed and released in 1986, the same year as Band Of The Hand and Crime Story) is ten times better than the crummy 2002 version. In fact, all the films that came after Silence of the Lambs seemed to be rip-offs capitalizing on the popularity of Hannibal Lector. Mann's film was first, and therefore untainted by any of that greedy baloney.

Brother, you have no idea. Are you aware that "Hannibal Rising" only came to life because the De Laurentiis pressured Thomas Harris to write one more book? For the love of fuck, the man was more than done with this truly excellent character, in fact going a bit overboard at times in "Hannibal".

And THAT is why "Hannibal Rising" is a wankfest of myth destruction as it mercilessly ravages the most brilliant character of the twentieth century in a spiral of exposure that renders the character more & more bland as the "story" unveils what should've been kept a secret: Lecter's life.

Sure, it has it moments... but they certainly don't make up for the unveiling of answers that shouldn't've been asked in the first place.

At least the films "Red Dragon" & "Hannibal" had been based off brilliant books - and "Hannibal" had Julianne Moore - so, while they were obviously done to capitalize on Hopkins's portrayal of Lecter, there was some solid back story to it... as for which version is the best, well, honestly, I'm glad there's two of 'em, since they're so different.

sadaist
04-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Allright my army brothers & sisters.....I am really getting fired up for the Green Lantern film. Fuck! 2 months I gotta wait? Damn!

New TV spots. Kinda cool. But that 4 min version in post 1 is by far EPIC!

FUCK ME RUNNIN! this shit is gonna rock!

sadaist
04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Sorry to the mods here. I like to keep all my Green Lantern clips here in 1 thread. Easier for me than cruising all over YouTube :)

chefcraig
04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
There was a front page article in Sunday's USA Weekend section of our local paper, featuring the actors from next month's Thor and July's Captain America: The First Avenger. The one bit of interest was the mention that both were getting in shape for filming the long suspected Avengers movie, which will be released around this time in 2012.

USA Weekend Summer Movie Preview: Superhero Mash-Up (http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20110415/ENTERTAINMENT01/104170325/Summer-Movie-Preview-Superhero-Mash-Up-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkINcovFxaY

binnie
04-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Looks like they're going to flood the market with comic book films this summer. Just means that it will get old very, very quickly.

Seshmeister
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
For me it got old around the time of the second Batman film...

chefcraig
04-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Looks like they're going to flood the market with comic book films this summer. Just means that it will get old very, very quickly.

Not just in 2011, either. LINK (http://www.superheromovies.net/)

* Thor (2011)
* Green Lantern (2011)
* The First Avenger - Captain America (2011)
* X-Men First Class (2011)
* Deathlok (2011)
* Luke Cage (2011)
* Ghost Rider 2 (2012)
* Nick Fury (2012)
* The Avengers (2012)
* Billy Batson and the Legend of Shazam (2012)
* Superman - Man of Steel (2012)
* Venom (2012)
* The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
* Deadpool (2012)
* X-Men Origins - Wolverine 2 (2012)
* The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
* Flash Gordon (2012)
* Runaways (2012)
* Justice League - Mortal (2013)
* The Flash (2013)
* Iron Man 3 (2013)
* Teen Titans (2013)
* Lobo (2013)
* Silver Surfer (2014)
* Ant-Man (2014)
* Sub-Mariner (2014)
* Wonder Woman (2015)

sadaist
04-18-2011, 07:58 PM
So which wins?

Avengers or Justice League?

Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, etc... are some serious mofos. Not a fan of Wonder Woman, but they are filming it now.

sadaist
04-18-2011, 08:44 PM
* Superman - Man of Steel (2012)

They better do him right this time God dammit!

Superman is my 2nd favorite superhero of all.

Hey Sad, who is #1?

:)

http://images.hollywood.com/site/indiana-jones.jpg

Terry
04-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I'd have to agree that comic book / tv superhero movies making a leap to the big screen is very mixed in terms of results.

The problem is all the A-grade heroes have been plundered to the point where all we have are the second string characters to choose from.

Thor? Really? He needs a movie?

The Green Hornet? Ugh.

Iron Man?

Why not just make a Shazzam! movie while they're at it...or a Goober & The Ghostbusters feature-length flick...or a Hong Kong Phooey live action film...

I mean, even the Batman series overall wasn't THAT great of a shakes. The first two Burton flicks were average-to-good, the Schumacher ones sucked, Batman Begins was decent and the Dark Knight was excellent. Did we really need another Superman reboot several years back? Or a sequel to the Hulk? The Spiderman series started off strong but got weaker with each new release. Loved Watchmen...now we got a new Wonder Woman project starting up, but they're gonna make the WW uniform less revealing? Fuck that. I say get Lynda Carter back into that outfit, aged wrinkles and all...she had such lovely honkers.

chefcraig
04-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Believe it or not, Shazam is reportedly in development.

THEDOCTOR
04-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Yes and The Rock has been approached over the years to play either Capt Marvel or his nemesis Black Adam. For me,Id rather see him as Black Adam. Kind of sucks to me ,the casting of Superman for the new movie,as I thought that Tom Welling should have been moved from the Smallville series onto the big screen.

chefcraig
04-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Kind of sucks to me ,the casting of Superman for the new movie,as I thought that Tom Welling should have been moved from the Smallville series onto the big screen.

I was under the impression that the upcoming Justice League movie would be a spin-off from Smallville. A handful of the characters (Aquaman, Green Arrow, Flash, ect.) have already appeared on the show, so it would make sense. Then again, that is a terrific reason for Hollywood not to do it, because it makes sense.