PDA

View Full Version : Food/Grocery Prices

ashstralia
04-08-2011, 07:37 AM
so... i'm curious as to how much you guys and girls pay compared to us here in oz...seeing as our dollars are about the same atm.

2 litre milk 2.29
loaf of bread cheap 1.99 good stuff 4.00
good size t bone about 6.00
carton of domestic beer 40.00
can of baked beans 1.30
broccoli 3.00 per kilo
premium unleaded = about 5.55 per u.s. gallon.

i'm in a food growing area, so i can get a big box of vegies, say a weeks worth, for about 15.00.
so yeah, may seem like a strange thread but as i said, just curious. look forward to reading your responses.

binnie
04-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I've converted UK prices into dollars:

Milk (2 litres): 2.77
Bread: 2.11
Brocolli: 3.23 per kilo
Beans: 1.53
Petrol (Gas): 10.10 per gallon (yes, you read that correctly.)

Not sure what the equivalent to a 'carton' of beer would be here, but I'm guessing our booze is a lot more expensive than in Auz (about $5 a pint if you go somewhere reasonable). Steaks vary, and my definition of 'decent' will be different from yours.

Mrs binnie and I live very modestly (I don't drink so grocery shopping is lowered a little). We spend around $65 a week on groceries, and that covers breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 nights a week. It's risen a little recently.

ashstralia
04-08-2011, 08:51 AM
cheers, binnie. not a big difference except the petrol ay? a carton is 24x 375ml bottles. fiver for a pint is reasonable.. i pay 4.30 for a 425ml glass we call a schooner.

sadaist
04-08-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't shop much, especially recently. But here is what I can report from my area.

Gas = $4.06 per gallon

Steaks (Strip, T-Bone, Porterhouse) = $13.99 per pound These are middle of the road quality steaks. Not the prime stuff.

Cigarettes = $5.69 per pack of 20

Coca Cola 12-pack of 12oz cans = $6.25

Coffee-Black with sugar & 2 cream 16oz = $1.49

Hmm. Maybe I should take another look at the old food pyramid and re-think my diet.

sadaist
04-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Oh...and a 16 pound bag of dry dog food lasts me 1-month. That is running about $20 right now. This is not for the super cheap stuff sold at Walmart. Not the best of the best, but a respected & decent name brand.

twonabomber
04-08-2011, 06:07 PM
i'm single so i tend to not give a shit what food things cost. not saying i won't look for a deal, but i'm not cutting anything out because the price went up 20 cents.

Gas = $4.06 per gallon

Coca Cola 12-pack of 12oz cans = $6.25

gas is still around $3.50 here, closer to $3.75 for premium. i drove my 11 mpg truck three days this week. okay, my commute is only 5 miles, but still...

i buy 12 packs of Coke Zero when they're 3 or 4 for $11, or less frequently 2 liters when they are 3 for $5 or whatever the deal is. the specials tend to rotate around, one week they'll have Pepsi 12 packs and Coke 2 liters on sale, then the next week it goes he other way. i won't drink Pepsi so i'll stock up on Cokes.

i did notice the package of four fresh burger patties went up a bit, but it's about the time of year when Sam's Club will have 12 for the cost of what 8 go for at the regular store so i'll switch to those.

frozen stuff i'll get at Sam's, cheaper to buy a bigger package of DiGiornos or Tyson chicken whatevers than the regular sizes at the grocery. six pounds of pasta for $3, keeps a long time and i'll definitely use it. buy the Ragu double cheddar sauce when they're 2 for $4 and you've got a few day's worth of macaroni and cheese for almost nothing.

store brand burger/dog buns are something like $1.29 and i think their bread is too. if it's $1.99 here you're shopping at a little mini-mart.

if you like cereal buy the Malt-O-Meal stuff in the bag. stupid cheap and tastes just like the big names in a box.

produce...i stop at the little farmer's market down the street. it's been there forever, my grandmother was friends with the original owner and his son now runs the place. may be a little more expensive than the grocery but it's fresher and i'd like to see him stay in business. bananas are still around a buck a pound, lettuce 99 cents.

Dan
04-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Dont Ask.:D

ashstralia
04-08-2011, 06:37 PM
thanks guys.. i'm getting an overall idea that it's not that different to australia. except for fuel. and our ciggies are probs 50 percent more. i buy a 2 oz pouch of good tobacco for 35 bucks, but don't smoke much so i can get a month out of it. yeah i know, it's bad yada yada.....

twonabomber
04-08-2011, 06:38 PM
carton of domestic beer 40.00

i forgot.

18 pack of Miler Lite is around $15, 24 is closer to $18. Molson Canadians, 12 bottles for (i think, don't remember) $8 or $9.

beer hasn't gone up too much in the last couple years.

ashstralia
04-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Dont Ask.:D

don't tell.;)

Dan
04-08-2011, 09:10 PM
don't tell.;)

How Dare You.:D

vh rides again
04-09-2011, 09:03 AM
We have Aldi stores here that sell generic foods that we shop in for certain foods.

Bread/Buns is 80 cents
Canned goods range from 40-60, soup, veggies, stuff like that.
For some reason hamburger is 2-4 bucks a pound depending on the fat ratio.

I can buy a good quality steak like a T-bone or a Ribeye for 5.99 a pound on sale.
All winter long we were buying 25 ounce T-bones for 10 bucks. That ended with good weather, they are 15 bucks now.
There is nowhere on this planet that produces a better beef than the state of Iowa.

I dont buy pop because they have a 5 cent deposit on the cans and I refuse to pay it. 12 pack of pepsi is like 3 bucks.

Fresh veggies are reasonably priced I guess.
Bananas 40 cents pound
Lettuce buck a head
Tomatoes buck a pound
Fresh sweetcorn season is coming up and that goes for 1 dollar a dozen here. We know how to grow corn in Iowa and that shit is mouthwatering. Holy shit I cant wait.
If you drive out on the rural gravel roads here, there are stands that sit unmanned that you just take what corn you want and pay for it on the honor system.
Yep you just leave the cash in a metal box and take what you want. Ive always wondered if some crazy ass farmer had me in his rifle scope looking to see if I payed. I always pay.

Beer is pretty cheap 15 bucks for a 24 pack of bud, same for the other domestics.

Gas is 3.60 for midgrade with ethenol.

Cigs are 5 bucks a pack.

I love it when I go to walmart and they have a wrong price on an item. Its free when you catch it.

You would be very suprised how often an item is priced wrong. That goes for all stores. You should always check your reciepts.

twonabomber
04-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Aldi is expanding like crazy around here. i keep saying i should shop more there but i haven't been in years. used to be just one on this side of town and they were always packed. early 90's, bread was a quarter a loaf. i had a freezer full of strawberry freezer jelly that my mom made, i was out of work for a couple months and lived on 25 cent bread and that damn jelly.

we have the roadside stands too. my grandmother had a motor route, she'd deliver the paper and the farmers would leave 'maters or cukes or a few ears of corn in the tube. we ate good those summers. got a few "you pick 'em" places for strawberries or raspberries, and i think one guy has pick your own pears. the eastern end of the county is full of nurseries, orchards, and wineries. good stuff cheap.

ZahZoo
04-09-2011, 10:04 AM
We have Aldi stores here that sell generic foods that we shop in for certain foods.

Bread/Buns is 80 cents
Canned goods range from 40-60, soup, veggies, stuff like that.
For some reason hamburger is 2-4 bucks a pound depending on the fat ratio.

I can buy a good quality steak like a T-bone or a Ribeye for 5.99 a pound on sale.
All winter long we were buying 25 ounce T-bones for 10 bucks. That ended with good weather, they are 15 bucks now.
There is nowhere on this planet that produces a better beef than the state of Iowa.

I dont buy pop because they have a 5 cent deposit on the cans and I refuse to pay it. 12 pack of pepsi is like 3 bucks.

Fresh veggies are reasonably priced I guess.
Bananas 40 cents pound
Lettuce buck a head
Tomatoes buck a pound
Fresh sweetcorn season is coming up and that goes for 1 dollar a dozen here. We know how to grow corn in Iowa and that shit is mouthwatering. Holy shit I cant wait.
If you drive out on the rural gravel roads here, there are stands that sit unmanned that you just take what corn you want and pay for it on the honor system.
Yep you just leave the cash in a metal box and take what you want. Ive always wondered if some crazy ass farmer had me in his rifle scope looking to see if I payed. I always pay.

Beer is pretty cheap 15 bucks for a 24 pack of bud, same for the other domestics.

Gas is 3.60 for midgrade with ethenol.

Cigs are 5 bucks a pack.

I love it when I go to walmart and they have a wrong price on an item. Its free when you catch it.

You would be very suprised how often an item is priced wrong. That goes for all stores. You should always check your reciepts.

Saved me some typing... You covered it... for the northeast section of Bumfuck, Iowa!!