PDA

View Full Version : DJ's "Scores" Thread

Diamondjimi
04-09-2011, 06:44 PM
A place to post new/old shit that I score....

My latest...

Alesis Quadraverb $75 on Kijiji !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/Quad-front.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/Quad-inbox.jpg

This is gonna replace my Digitech DSP-256. :baaa:

ashstralia
04-09-2011, 08:19 PM
bargain!!!

indeedido
04-09-2011, 10:33 PM
nice one!

Diamondjimi
04-10-2011, 12:28 AM
The programming is a bit different than the DSP 256. But a quick flip through the manual should help speed the tweaking process up a bit..

Really diggin the sound I'm hearing already. It has a nice analog-ish tone, nice and warm.

SunisinuS
04-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Wow plastic. Does it smell like a new game?

ashstralia
04-10-2011, 03:42 AM
The programming is a bit different than the DSP 256. But a quick flip through the manual should help speed the tweaking process up a bit..

Really diggin the sound I'm hearing already. It has a nice analog-ish tone, nice and warm.

cool sounds jimi. once you've had a play with it, you'll find the programming paths similar:)

edit; the later 'gt' iteration, with preamp/distortion was also cool. but to my ear the gsp21 sounded crisper.. nicer.. cut through the mix in a pleasing way that didn't offend your ear....

jhale667
04-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Nice score, DJ!

Diamondjimi
04-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks. Tweaking went smooth. Managed to set up 3 or 4 presets, enough to get me through band practice last night. Will be delving into more programming again today.
I also got a line on a vintage 80's Boss CE-3 chorus pedal to replace my old one. I lurve this model. The dude wants $40 for it.

ThrillsNSpills
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
good stuff and congrats DJ.

Diamondjimi
04-21-2011, 07:19 PM
cool sounds jimi. once you've had a play with it, you'll find the programming paths similar:)

edit; the later 'gt' iteration, with preamp/distortion was also cool. but to my ear the gsp21 sounded crisper.. nicer.. cut through the mix in a pleasing way that didn't offend your ear....

Yeah, got the navigation/programming down. ;)

Never been a believer in having my ambience/and time based functions being processed in the same technology that processes my distortion/gain tones. I like to keep them separate and let 'em do what they do best.
I basically run my signal chain like this:
1- Guitar
+ Pedal board
+ Tech 21 PSA-1 analog preamp
+ Alesis Quadraverb into Marshall EL 34 Dual Monoblock Stereo Power Amp.
+ Late 60's Marshall slant 4x12 (Vintage Greenbacks)
+ Late 60's Hiwatt Straight 4x12 (Loaded with original British Fane's)

:rockon:

Diamondjimi
04-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Found this on Kijiji...

A vintage Boss CE-3 Chorus pedal. My old one crapped out a few years ago, and I've been waiting on a good deal to come by.....
I was told that the pedal never left the dudes house. Mint condition with the original box and paperwork...$40

http://www.bossarea.com/images/CE3.jpg

CE-3 Chorus

The CE-2 doesn't have a stereo output so the CE-3 was made, perhaps more as a replacement for the CE-1. The CE-3 have adjustments for depth and rate, just like the CE-2, but supports in addition a stereo output. Having two outputs gives you the option of having a chorused signal from Output A and the direct signal at the same time from Output B. These can be panned left and right to simulate the sound of two guitars playing simultaneously.

The placement of the 3 knobs are not typical. This is the only 3-knob pedal that has three knobs in a row. As this caused the LED to become hidden behind the middle knob, it was a design that was soon changed in favor of the V shaped 3 knob control layout.

Version differences
There are minor colour differences between versions of this pedal and from 1988 the CE-3 was shipped with white black knobs with white tops. The CE-3 was the first metallic coloured Boss compact pedal. The green label was introduced 1984 to indicate compliance with FCC rules and production moved to Taiwan, 1988.

Specifications

* Controls: Rate, Depth, 2-way Mode Switch
* Connectors: Input, Output A, Output B, AC Adaptor
* Current Draw: 13 mA (DC 9V)
* Weight: 400g/0.88 lbs.
* Input Impedance: 1Mohm
* Residual Noise Level: -90 dBm (IHF-A)
* Recommended Load Impedance: 10kOhm or greater
* Recommended AC Adaptor: ACA Series

Labels

* Black - Made In Japan
>
* Green - Made In Taiwan

The CE-3 was sold from October 1982 to February 1992.

Hardrock69
04-22-2011, 02:40 AM
The last cool deal I got like that was an ART NightBass rackmount FX unit (12AX7 tube with a bazillion digital FX) for 100 bucks off eBay a few years back. I lost the actual auction, but was suprised to get an email the next day saying the winner could not pay his bid for some reason. Wow. I love it. The perfect companion to my SGX2000.

Now these are what I call "works of ART"! :biggrin:

http://i54.tinypic.com/10mreht.jpg

ashstralia
04-22-2011, 02:48 AM
yeah i remember your thread on that, HR. geez there was some cool gear in the 90's....

Diamondjimi
04-22-2011, 03:18 AM
The last cool deal I got like that was an ART NightBass rackmount FX unit (12AX7 tube with a bazillion digital FX) for 100 bucks off eBay a few years back. I lost the actual auction, but was suprised to get an email the next day saying the winner could not pay his bid for some reason. Wow. I love it. The perfect companion to my SGX2000.

Now these are what I call "works of ART"! :biggrin:

http://i54.tinypic.com/10mreht.jpg

Great deal. I fucking love the fact that rack shit isn't "in" at the moment. You can practically get gear for 1/10 of it's original cost.
Right now I have a Digitech 33B-Intelligent Harmonizer and a Digitech DSP 256 collecting dust . It's worth more to me to keep them than unload them at a pittance.
I'll probably end up using them at my studio as outboard FX...

ashstralia
04-22-2011, 03:36 AM
most of this stuff is top quality too mate, was then; is now. my old gsp21 still has the best 'verb i've heard, so it does exactly that job in the studio. excellent gate in it too.

Diamondjimi
04-22-2011, 03:49 AM
If you ever see a Roland SPX 90 (verb) rack , score it. It sounds amazing for widening up you guitar in your rig or making a mix sound huge.

Here (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-production/412319-spx-90-pitch-change-c.html)'s a link to some dudes talking about it...

ashstralia
04-22-2011, 03:53 AM
that'd be a yamaha, jimi... but i'm with ya. great unit.

ashstralia
04-22-2011, 03:59 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-SPX-90-Multi-Effects-Processor-SPX90-Rack-/190514262833

they're not as much as i thought they'd be!

Diamondjimi
04-22-2011, 04:02 AM
that'd be a yamaha, jimi... but i'm with ya. great unit.

Opps, my bad! :baaa:

ashstralia
04-22-2011, 04:13 AM
i worked in a big shop for quite a few years back in the day... got to drool over this stuff every single day. it almost seems criminal to see these superior pieces of equipment going so cheap. a new spx90 was 2500 bucks here!!! it kinda makes me sad to wonder how many old rocker's broken dreams are on ebay...but, we're still playing and life goes on:jammin:

twonabomber
04-22-2011, 11:32 AM
i like Alesis stuff. i've had some Monitor Ones and RA-100 amp since '93 or so, they're holding up great. also have a Wedge reverb that i picked up for $99 at Guitar Center. don't use it much but it's fun to play with. then there's the D4 drum module...made some homemade triggers and had fun with that.

found a QSR ROMpler on Ebay this morning and it's on the way.

been looking for a mid-80's synth too but haven't decided what one. leaning toward a Roland, i like the feel of the 'board on my S-50.

ELVIS
04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
A quadraverb does not sound "analog-ish" at all...except for the hiss...:biggrin:

ashstralia
04-22-2011, 11:43 AM
A quadraverb does not sound "analog-ish" at all...except for the hiss...:biggrin:

maybe not if you've got cloth ears...:biggrin: and who could forget the venerable hr/sr16 drum machines. revolutionary pieces of gear.

Diamondjimi
04-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Ahahahahahaaaa............. Fuck off!

You're startin to sound more and more like GAR every day.

No hiss issue here. Maybe the hiss you heard was a result of the narcotics you'd ingested....

Hey GARvis when are you gonna post some of your "brilliance" over in THIS THREAD (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?61553-The-Show-Your-Work-Thread)?

ELVIS
04-22-2011, 11:48 AM
One day...

I've had quadraverbs, they sound good but not analog, and they do make hiss, turn it up in headphones and see for yourself...

ashstralia
04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
anyway, everything has noise... the question is just how much. or little.

Diamondjimi
04-22-2011, 12:11 PM
One day...

I've had quadraverbs, they sound good but not analog, and they do make hiss, turn it up in headphones and see for yourself...

Who the fuck plays with headphones. SOunds great cranking through my rig.

So.... When ya going to share some of your music with us???

ELVIS
04-22-2011, 12:17 PM
It's not a guitar rig unit...

Diamondjimi
04-22-2011, 12:48 PM
So.... When ya going to share some of your music with us???

It's not a guitar rig unit...

:indifferent0020:

ELVIS
04-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Well, it's not. It's much too complicated for a guitar rig and you need a midi foot switch to change programs..

jhale667
04-22-2011, 01:24 PM
If you ever see a Roland SPX 90 (verb) rack , score it. It sounds amazing for widening up you guitar in your rig or making a mix sound huge.

Here (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-production/412319-spx-90-pitch-change-c.html)'s a link to some dudes talking about it...

Yeah, used to run an SPX90 in my FX loop eons ago...killer units.

:guitar:

jhale667
04-22-2011, 01:28 PM
anyway, everything has noise... the question is just how much. or little.

And besides, that's why god invented HUSH units. :hee:

indeedido
04-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Hush, hush
I thought I heard her calling my name now
Hush, hush
She broke my heart but I love her just the same now
Hush, hush
Thought I heard her calling my name now
Hush, hush
I need her loving and I'm not to blame now

Oh wait......

Diamondjimi
04-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Well, it's not. It's much too complicated for a guitar rig

Only complicated for Hillbilly's. http://www.animationplayhouse.com/hillbilly.gif

and you need a midi foot switch to change programs..

Got it covered. ;)

And besides, that's why god invented HUSH units. :hee:

Got it covered as well. :baaa:

Hardrock69
04-23-2011, 04:14 AM
Another Yamaha unit from the SPX90 days was the Rev 7. Those were some sweet units.

If you ever find a Roland Dimension D rack mount unit and it is selling for way less than a thousand bucks, buy it. They are extremely hard to find these days, as every studio on Earth with any decent amount of rack gear has one.

Diamondjimi
04-24-2011, 03:35 AM
Another Yamaha unit from the SPX90 days was the Rev 7. Those were some sweet units.

If you ever find a Roland Dimension D rack mount unit and it is selling for way less than a thousand bucks, buy it. They are extremely hard to find these days, as every studio on Earth with any decent amount of rack gear has one.

Rev 7 on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-REV-7-Digital-Reverberator-/230611937404?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b18ae87c

Roland Dimension D on Ebay. Not cheap!
http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_nkw=Roland+Dimension+D&_sacat=619&_sop=1&_odkw=Rev+7&_osacat=619&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

ashstralia
04-24-2011, 04:06 AM
the rex50 was a great little box too, haven't looked but you could probably get one pretty cheap...http://www.synthmania.com/Yamaha%20REX50/Images/Yamaha%20REX50.jpg

Diamondjimi
04-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Great unit as well. Recorded an album 10 years ago at a buddy's studio .(nothing fancy). This was the processor we used. Worked great. Nice warm verbs. There's something to be said about low bit processing. :baaa:

Etienne
04-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Lexicon LXP-1

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/images/lexicon_LXP1.jpg

Famous back then mostly for its reverb sounds for a Lexicon budget price...

Hardrock69
04-24-2011, 03:57 PM
ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY DOLLARS FOR A REV 7???? My god that is cheap!

The price on Dimension Ds has not gone up I see. They were selling for 900-1000 US about 8-9 years ago.....

ashstralia
04-24-2011, 08:41 PM
there's a rex 50 with a start price of 49.95 over here....

Diamondjimi
06-30-2011, 07:14 PM
My latest aquisition...

http://www.chorder.com/media/inlineimage_models/rotated/3361.jpg

$250, used @ the local chain music store. EMG's , Floyd Rose, set of D'Addario's (10-52) full shred!:biggrin:

Julius
06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
No cup holder?

jhale667
06-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Nice score, DJ...gonna change the pickups? Big-Block the Jackson Floyd? :baaa:

Hardrock69
07-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Wow! Fucking sweet axe! Way to go! If I had been in your shoes, I woulda jumped on it as well! The EMGs alone are worth 2/3 of what the entire guitar set you back. Reverse headstock too! Bet that fucker plays great! Does it sound ok?

Reverberator
07-01-2011, 05:19 PM
cool dimie !

Diamondjimi
07-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Nice score, DJ...gonna change the pickups? Big-Block the Jackson Floyd? :baaa:
Thanks, bro. Haven't had any time to really evaluate the pup's yet. Big block? not sure yet. I was mainly looking at this guitar to use for a couple of tune we have that need a drop b. Still figuring how this one will serve me best....

Wow! Fucking sweet axe! Way to go! If I had been in your shoes, I woulda jumped on it as well! The EMGs alone are worth 2/3 of what the entire guitar set you back. Reverse headstock too! Bet that fucker plays great! Does it sound ok?

Thanks. Yeah, it played very fast and it keeps good tuning. Might end up Ebay'ing the EMG's and do some shopping for new replacements. :D

cool dimie !

Cheers! :baaa:

Diamondjimi
07-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Just finished sanding the finish off the back of the neck. Gonna apply a few rubs of gun stock oil (grate shit!) into it and she's good ta go... :baaa:

lesfunk
07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah man, That Beechwood Casey stuff feels great under yer thumb.

Nitro Express
07-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Gunstock oil is basically linseed oil. You can't go wrong with it. It makes a nice no nonsense finish and protects the wood well. A friend of mine bought an old log building built in the 1920's and all those old places were finished with 50/50 kerosene and linseed oil. It's called log oil and he sandblasted the whole place and refinished it and only had to replace three logs due to rot. Linseed oil is amazing stuff just make sure to store the rags you use with it in a fireproof container because linseed oil soaked rags will just combust and burn by themselves.

Hardrock69
07-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Groovy man. :D

Diamondjimi
07-05-2011, 01:39 PM
FAWWWK! The shit is amazing. A few drops goes a long way. Gave it 2 shots of oil and it feels fucking amazing... :baaa:

Diamondjimi
12-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Grabbed a used Rocktron Intellifex- LTD for 100 bux today at Long and McQuade (our local chain store).
Punted the Alessis Quadraverb.
The effects are crystal clear and the unit itself doesn't colour my tone. I love the "ducking" delay feature. No glitching between channels when switching. The delays carry over smoothly...

(3rd from the top)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/Myrack-INTELLIFEXLTD.jpg

Matt White
12-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Grabbed a used Rocktron Intellifex- LTD for 100 bux today at Long and McQuade (our local chain store).
Punted the Alessis Quadraverb.
The effects are crystal clear and the unit itself doesn't colour my tone. I love the "ducking" delay feature. No glitching between channels when switching. The delays carry over smoothly...

(3rd from the top)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/Myrack-INTELLIFEXLTD.jpg

Nice pickup!

I still have my Intelliflex online version......bad to the bone

Diamondjimi
12-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Totally badass!

ThrillsNSpills
12-03-2011, 04:22 PM
SANSAMP PSA1 !

Looks like someone's serious about tone !

Diamondjimi
12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
SANSAMP PSA1 !

Looks like someone's serious about tone !

Yes Sir!

Greatest pre amp I've ever known. I haven't heard a preamp in a multi effects processor that I've liked.
I prefer to have dedicated processing. Let the pre amp be a pre amp and let the effects processor be an effects processor. :thumb:

ThrillsNSpills
12-03-2011, 06:22 PM
You can get and store over 70 presets with different amp sounds, all in analog. I love the sound of those things.

What's your strategy for maintaining the analog distorted guitar tone when doing recording in digital? Once you're used to a tone like that, it becomes unacceptable to have recordings where the tone's compromised.

Diamondjimi
12-03-2011, 07:49 PM
You can get and store over 70 presets with different amp sounds, all in analog. I love the sound of those things.

What's your strategy for maintaining the analog distorted guitar tone when doing recording in digital? Once you're used to a tone like that, it becomes unacceptable to have recordings where the tone's compromised.

I essentially work within a bank of 10 of my tailored tones. I like the fact that the modelling is done in analog. For recording I've been going direct into a/d converter (Presonus Firestudio) and have been using Recabinet ™ in post. But lately I've returned to using mic's for recording.
I find if the mic's are placed properly and blended well I don't lose any of my tone. Many of the factors of interpreting my tone rely on the correct applications of eq'ing and compression in post (recording). I know that if my raw tracks sound good on their own, the rest is gravy. The key is to interpret the tone in post with the original in mind. :thumb:

Nitro Express
12-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I use a Tech 21 PSA 1.1 . My number display on it broke. I can still make out the channels but I'm going to have to send it back to Tech 21 to get it fixed. I think you can nail every amp sound under the sun with it. I've used it for bass, keyboards, guitar, and even vocals. I can see why it's a popular piece of studio gear.

Nitro Express
12-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Great deal. I fucking love the fact that rack shit isn't "in" at the moment. You can practically get gear for 1/10 of it's original cost.
Right now I have a Digitech 33B-Intelligent Harmonizer and a Digitech DSP 256 collecting dust . It's worth more to me to keep them than unload them at a pittance.
I'll probably end up using them at my studio as outboard FX...

Some of that old rack shit was built like a tank made by great companies in the good ol' USA. They put stuff in more heavy duty boxes and used the best components available. You are damn right it's a bargain.

I have amps but I used my rack most the time for gigs. It's just more convenient. I have a 1000 watt power amp in it and only use one channel unless I'm running a huge amount of bass speakers. I can't tell you how many times having that extra channel has been nice when someone else's amp went down.

Our guitar player had his output transformer go on him and we just pulled the power tubes and ran the preamp into one side of my power amp into a Marshall 4x12 and it sounded great actually.