PDA

View Full Version : Robin Trower - Definitely for Old People

Kristy
04-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Since we're all old here (some more than others), and aging is the moral sin of life in less than three weeks is my uncle's Birthday. So what you say? Me too. Reason I being it up is the guy is a huge Robin Trower fan having all of his shit on vinyl (in fact, the dude has thousands of vinyl records) but has recently sold his soul to the CD market which also begs the question why? when nobody really buys CD's anymore. Regardless, he is rather difficult to shop for so I'm thinking of getting him some Trower on CD. Problem is, "Trower's best work" according to him was "in the 70's." I could care less. So...here's the deal:

This one
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AnpwsTCiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pretty much his first 4 albums including his live 1976 recording in Stockholm....or

These two:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519uk8P48pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511TNY97EKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not much difference except that one is his 1979 release 'In City Dreams' which I know he wants because it's "rare" Well, fuck rarity because I never heard this albums apart from Bridge of Sighs and didn't Robin sell his soul when he produced Bryan Ferry? Anyhoo, I'm thinking of 'A Tale Untold' even though it looks a bit cheesy the way the albums are divided up on the CD. The two re-releases and the pseudo box set are pretty much the same price so what's the better deal?

chefcraig
04-17-2011, 11:45 AM
The two-fers are an exceptional deal, as they sound superior to the original CD releases Chrysalis dumped on the market. They feature great liner notes, and the artwork is completely restored. On another front, you might also consider the Robin Trower/Jack Bruce Seven Moons live DVD (2008), as it's a beautifully filmed show and the performance is outstanding.

Kristy
04-17-2011, 11:52 AM
So the double releases? They are cleverly divided up so that no matter which one you buy you know you're going to have to purchase both to get the whole deal. I know he's not big on DVD's unless it has something to do with the Ramones and City Dreams he pretty much wanted so I'll go for those two. Thanks, Chef.

lesfunk
04-17-2011, 10:49 PM
How thoughtful of you to get the old geezer some music he will surely enjoy. Robin Trower is quite good. You should give him a listen if you haven't already.
I recommend the "BLT" album. Jack Bruce, Bill Lordan, Robin Trower

Hardrock69
04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
The Seven Moons DVD is great. Not high energy rock, but REALLY high quality songwriting, and Jack Bruce goes well with Robin Trower and his guitar stylings.

binnie
04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Great player, but are the songs up to much?

hideyoursheep
04-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Jack Bruce goes well with Robin Trower and his guitar stylings.

That IS an interesting combo..I should have a listen.

Before VH, Nugent and when I "discovered" ZZ Top, Trower was kinda like a living Hendrix. Nowhere near as great, of course, but he had that vibe going, you know what I mean?

Hardrock69
04-18-2011, 10:26 PM
The Seven Moons songs are impeccable. Nothing slam/bang. Not like "Little Bit Of Sympathy" or "Day Of The Beagle", but the first time I heard them play these songs it was a live FM broadcast from 3 days or so before they recorded the DVD. Later that day, I realized that the song "Seven Moons" was still running through my head on an endless loop.

That told me there was something special about that song at the very least. So within the first week, I listened to that boot every fucking day. Then I discovered they were going to release a live CD and DVD. Bought the DVD as soon as it came out.

Every time I watch it, I am glad to be watching it. Like I say, no real fireworks, but first class songwriting and performance.....from just a power trio.

ELVIS
04-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Don't get him this...

It's old and way tired...

:elvis:

Hardrock69
04-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Can you even read fucking English? I posted TWICE that it was relatively "lo-energy".

Go eat some fried peanut-butter and banana sammiches....your brain power is dragging....:hee:

ELVIS
04-19-2011, 01:25 AM
It's worse than QUOTE lo-energy QUOTE...

IT sucks!