PDA

View Full Version : Job center blasted for giving capes to unemployed

ELVIS
04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
ORLANDO, Fla. – Florida officials are investigating an unemployment agency that spent public money to give 6,000 superhero capes to the jobless.

Workforce Central Florida spent more than $14,000 on the red capes as part of its "Cape-A-Bility Challenge" public relations campaign. The campaign featured a cartoon character, "Dr. Evil Unemployment," who needs to be vanquished.

Florida's unemployment agency director asked Monday for an investigation of the regional operation's spending after the Orlando Sentinel published a story about the program. State director Cynthia Lorenzo said the spending appeared to be "insensitive and wasteful."

Workforce Central Florida Director Gary J. Earl defends the program, saying it is part of a greater effort to connect with the community. The agency says it served 210,000 people during its last fiscal year, placing nearly 59,000 in jobs.

:elvis:

chefcraig
04-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Read about this in my local paper this morning. The actual figure is much higher than $14,000, because this only accounts for the initial price of the capes. Add in the promotional costs and this idiotic media campaign comes out to around $73,000. No, I'm not kidding and yes, only in Florida.

Can't find a job? Workforce Central Florida wants to give you a cape

April 15, 2011|By Jim Stratton, Orlando Sentinel (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-04-15/business/os-orlando-unemployment-cape-20110415_1_job-seekers-capes-workforce-central-florida)

At least while supplies last.

The region's federally funded jobs agency is spending more than $73,000 on a media campaign to raise awareness of its services.

As part of a superhero theme, it has created a cartoon character named "Dr. Evil Unemployment" and spent more than $14,000 on 6,000 satiny superhero capes.

It plans to distribute the capes to jobless residents who participate in the agency's "Cape-A-Bility Challenge."

To win a cape, a contestant can become a Workforce Central Florida fan on Facebook, take a Facebook quiz — "What Superhero Are You?" — or have a photo taken with a foam cutout of Dr. Evil Unemployment.

Job seekers and employers who participate become eligible to win a $1,000 prize package, featuring gift cards from Visa, Barnes & Noble and the U.S. Postal Service. Job seekers can also win $125 worth of résumé paper. Only two prize packages will be given away.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-20-2011, 11:46 AM
did ace get a new cape there? and has kristy been made aware of all these caped folk?

Hardrock69
04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
:lmao:

Fucking idiots. That 73 grand could have been used in other ways more beneficial to the unemployed. :mad:

Kristy
04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Where is that photo of Ace?

(*drool*)

PETE'S BROTHER
04-20-2011, 01:16 PM
:biggrin:

Kristy
04-20-2011, 02:00 PM
:lmao:

Fucking idiots. That 73 grand could have been used in other ways more beneficial to the unemployed. :mad:

None it surprises me though. When you are unemployed your level of self-esteem drops significantly and this sounds to me as some fucked-up and failed attempt to give the unemployed something, anything besides what what needed: a job. $125 in resume paper? I suppose you could burn it to stay warm but seeing how this took place in Florida makes it only more laughable. Sounds like another retarded "think tank" approach to solving America's societal ills. By demonizing 'Dr. Evil Unemployment' as if they somehow knew unemployment has a medical degree. Go figure. People should have seen this coming down the pike for miles and ran from it then again, these are desperate times.

Nitro Express
04-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Brilliant. We need super heros to save us.

Nitro Express
04-20-2011, 02:11 PM
None it surprises me though. When you are unemployed your level of self-esteem drops significantly and this sounds to me as some fucked-up and failed attempt to give the unemployed something, anything besides what what needed: a job. $125 in resume paper? I suppose you could burn it to stay warm but seeing how this took place in Florida makes it only more laughable. Sounds like another retarded "think tank" approach to solving America's societal ills. By demonizing 'Dr. Evil Unemployment' as if they somehow knew unemployment has a medical degree. Go figure. People should have seen this coming down the pike for miles and ran from it then again, these are desperate times.

Everyone can get a job real quick. Just punch someone in the face and take their purse or wallet when they are dazed from the hit. You now have a new occupation of being a thief. If you get real clever and good at it, you can work for a bank.