PDA

View Full Version : Barry Says: Stop subsidizing the criminal oil industry

FORD
04-30-2011, 02:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIc83PWSBF4

chefcraig
04-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Uh-huh. What about the government subsidizing the criminal defense industry? Can we get to work on that as well?

FORD
04-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah, that too. And the corn lobby that is literally killing millions with their mutant poison.

chefcraig
04-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Yeah, that too. And the corn lobby that is literally killing millions with their mutant poison.

A co-worker showed me some astounding literature on that whole Monsanto mess earlier in the year, which isn't only linked to extortionate business practices, but to health dangers resulting in organ failure and (through the feeding of the product to livestock) harming the meat packing industry and consumers who use it. How is it this isn't being broadcast on the news every evening?

sadaist
04-30-2011, 03:52 PM

I easily drank more than 6 cokes a day for several years. But in the last 8 months or so I have been slowly switching to coffee. Down to about 2 cokes a day. I got some super huge gallon sized coke from McDonalds, even though it was just labeled as 'large', and only drank about 1/3 of it.

Unless I can find some Mexican cokes in glass bottles. Those I would still drink a lot of. But right now the rarity of them make them more of a treat than a daily beverage.

FORD
04-30-2011, 04:46 PM
You can't find MexiCoke in San Diego??

I would think that would be one of the easiest places to find it. Though you have to read the label on them now too, because believe it or not, even some of the Mexican Coke bottlers are now using the corn poison, as I found out a few months ago at a local taqueria

As far as I know, the HFCS bottles are using a slightly different label design, so you have to look carefully before you buy.....

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Mexican_coke_1.jpg <------- Good MexiCoke with Real Sugar

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp87/burgerbeast/MezcalitosMexiCoke.jpg <-------- Bad MexiCoke

Also, you might still be able to find some of the annual "Kosher Coke" that's released for Passover. Never seen one in my one-synagogue town, but if you know of a grocery store with a large Kosher section, it's worth a shot. It's usually only in two liter bottles (supposedly they also make 6 packs of cans, but they are really rare), and look for the yellow cap with Hebrew writing on it.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vxkRImIM3UQ/Sc_N5WUftRI/AAAAAAAAAEg/lRyDBtsxbDQ/s400/Kosher+Coke.jpg

sadaist
04-30-2011, 06:45 PM
You can't find MexiCoke in San Diego??

Yeah, but only at the fast food Mexican joints. And it's kinda expensive. Like $2 for a bottle. So it's only a treat for me. Not something I stock my fridge with. I just need to drive down to Tecate for a day of shopping and get a few cases.

Was listening to someone on the radio last week. They were talking about how weird it is that we are using corn for all this shit and burning it as fuel......while many on Earth are starving. We burn food for fuel rather than use food to eat. Strange when you start thinking about how are priorities are set.

I like my corn on the cob, popped, or in tortilla chip form. NOT in my drinks or gas tank.

FORD
04-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Heard something on Thom Hartmann's show the other day about the sugar cane industry in South America.... Not only do they leave it in their Coke where it belongs, but they also now use it for biofuel, and it's more an efficient source material than corn. On top of that, the chemical composition of sugar (C12H22O11) means that the more sugar cane grown, the more carbon/CO2 you take out of the air.

Now obviously sugar cane is more climate dependent than corn, but certainly some of the warmer states can, and should be growing it.

Better for food. Better for your body. Better for fuel. Better for the planet.

FORD
04-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Yeah, but only at the fast food Mexican joints. And it's kinda expensive. Like $2 for a bottle. So it's only a treat for me. Not something I stock my fridge with. I just need to drive down to Tecate for a day of shopping and get a few cases.

Might want to consider driving a little further east. The cases of MexiCoke that I used to get at Costco said they were made in Mexicali, so maybe it might be cheaper there? Hell, you could set up a cooler in your front yard and sell the shit for $2 a bottle and make up the gas money. :biggrin: