PDA

View Full Version : I've got some bad G.A.S.

indeedido
05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
I like my 6534+, but there's just something you can't quite get without a plexi. That organic tone that is just chewy. I'm really, really g.a.s.in' for a plexi reissue with the Rockstah Mod 5. Soon it will be mine. It's just a matter of time. :biggrin:

Nitro Express
05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I like my 6534+, but there's just something you can't quite get without a plexi. That organic tone that is just chewy. I'm really, really g.a.s.in' for a plexi reissue with the Rockstah Mod 5. Soon it will be mine. It's just a matter of time. :biggrin:

The 6534 runs the power amp cold. A cranked Marshall loads the power amp beyond what it was designed to do. You get massive amounts of clipping, crossover distortion, and transformer saturation. The preamp does not do much.

Peavey copied Soldano's philosophy where you make the amp more reliable by running the preamp hard and saving the power amp. A Marshal is a copy of a Fender which was originally designed for bass but worked for guitar. Plus the circuits started to clip about halfway up. Basically it was a fuck up but a wonderful fuck up.

lesfunk
05-03-2011, 12:35 PM
ahhh plexis... Spongy muffiny goodness. mmmm

indeedido
05-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I had a Metro 12,000 series plexi last year, Metro's clone of a '68 plexi. I sold it for some other g.a.s. attack I had and I wish I still had it. There is just this midrange grind I hear in my head I cannot get and I think the Rockstah mod will do it. I don't want to sit around noodlin' EVH riffs all day, but I think I can work with this tone. :hitch:

I've explored with a multitude of guitars over the years, and now it is time to explore amps. I'll probably sell off a few and keep some favs so I can audition some amps. I also have some gas for this ESP camo Viper, ( I love camo) but an amp will be my next purchase....Unless I build a new Warmoth guitar.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/viperc3.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/viperc9.jpg