PDA

View Full Version : George Washington's Beer Recipe

Hardrock69
05-09-2011, 09:41 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8495680/George-Washingtons-beer-recipe.html

Before devoting his time to defeating the British in the Revolutionary War and being the first president of the United States, George Washington enjoyed brewing his own beer.

A handwritten recipe for "small beer" created by Washington in 1757, while serving in the Virginia militia, has been published by the New York Public Library.

The recipe, which was found in Washington's "Notebook as a Virginia Colonel", lists the ingredients as bran hops, yeast and molasses – an addition that may explain his infamously rotten teeth.

"Take a large Sifter full of Bran Hops to your Taste," Washington instructed. "Boil these 3 hours then strain out 30 Gall into a cooler [and] put in 3 Gall Molasses while the Beer is Scalding hot." "Let this stand till it is little more than Blood warm then put in a quart of Yeast if the Weather is very Cold [then] cover it over with a Blanket & let it Work in the Cooler 24 hours then put it into the Cask".

A 15-gallon batch of Washington's beer is to be made to mark the library's centenary by the Coney Island Brewing Company, under the name "Fortitude's Founding Father Brew".

While half the batch will stay faithful to Washington's original recipe, the other half will contain malted barley instead of molasses, which may make it more palatable to modern drinkers.

Satan
05-09-2011, 12:59 PM
The father of your country was a hemp growing micro-brewer. I knew there was a reason I liked old George. Too bad he's not in Hell..... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

Hardrock69
05-09-2011, 01:25 PM
It's ok. He deserved to go to the other place. I am sure that if he were in your domain, it would be for such minor transgressions that there would be no fun in it at all for you or your minions.
Plenty of other assholes that will provide you with much greater entertainment as they are tormented. :sleazy-smiley:

clarathecarrot
05-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I did some research on brewing my own at home then went to I believe, baccas and barleycorn ? I don't know if they are nationwide, but they have all the stuff, wine also.Brewers yeast, stills, kegs and different kinds of grains. I never did anything but I bet it would be some fun maybe,

I heard stories of grandpa brewing durring phohibition and doing it on the stove at home and bottling it and storing it under the front porch, no basements in texas..lol.. and I think I would rather do that.

My dad made some wine once when I was small and made it into a jelly.. burgundy I think,..parafin wax melted on top for the seal, ..old dudes knew stuff.

Washington was a man of varied skills like most old timmie dudes I think they had to be due the lack of interstate and intercontinental commerce and transportation times. < yeah I think sometimes.

clarathecarrot
05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
I guess they are only in KC, but they must have businesses like this in most cities.

http://www.bacchus-barleycorn.com/catalog/index.php

Seshmeister
05-09-2011, 02:42 PM
The father of your country was a hemp growing micro-brewer. I knew there was a reason I liked old George. Too bad he's not in Hell..... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

I guess not since in the Christian mythology owning over 100 slaves is completely fine.

Nitro Express
05-09-2011, 03:14 PM
George Washington was in the whiskey business. Mount Vernon had something like 9 distilleries. Also, when George campaigned he did so in pubs and he was known to bring in a few barrels of the good stuff. So in those days you just got people loaded to vote for you.

Nitro Express
05-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Never buy overpriced swill from a clown who has to wear sunglasses.

The only good thing about Cabo Wabo is it's bottled at the source. This is the source.

Nitro Express
05-09-2011, 04:03 PM
I guess not since in the Christian mythology owning over 100 slaves is completely fine.

I don't think it jives too well with Christianity because Christ taught treat others like you would like to be treated. It probably jives more with the Old Testament wrathful God concept who punishes Cain with black skin for killing Able.

Seshmeister
05-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Even the New Testament.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

VanHalener
05-09-2011, 04:46 PM

lmao
~Nice~

That ole' Virginia boy knew how to relax.

binnie
05-09-2011, 05:51 PM

:D

It's pretty much fine by the standards of modern Western capitmalism too. We're all a bunch of cunts if you actually sit down and think about it.

Seshmeister
05-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Not exactly the same but there are similarities.

The people who work at Foxconn, the massive company in China that make iPhones, have to live at the factory. With overtime they start at 7:40 and work a 12 hour shift to 8pm. To earn enough to buy an iPhone they would have to work like that for 2 months.

binnie
05-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I was being flippant - however, the point stands that our position in the world (through no design of ourselves as individuals) relies upon massive exploitation of others.

The abuse of workers in parts of Asia by companies who supply major highstreet stores is disgusting.

Blaze
05-09-2011, 07:56 PM
:jesuslol: And are we not truly slaves to the BCE?

A slave need not be poor.
Poverty stricken slaves where a corruption of the SCE.
Many slaves during biblical time, long after, and even now in Qutar are developed to their ability.
I am not condoning own humans, it is just a fact.

Nitro Express
05-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Even the New Testament.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

I smell Roman modification in these chapters. Either that or the apostles were being politically correct.

Nitro Express
05-10-2011, 12:55 AM
I was being flippant - however, the point stands that our position in the world (through no design of ourselves as individuals) relies upon massive exploitation of others.

The abuse of workers in parts of Asia by companies who supply major highstreet stores is disgusting.

We basically exported the plantation to China. Once women's liberation and civil rights got going David Rockefeller went to China and then sent his puppet Nixon. Once Nixon went to China the early stages of outsourcing began. Rockefeller saw all those slaves and a government that could keep them in line and started drooling. China wanted to modernize and still keep control on the population and the western oligarchs wanted cheap slaves. Deals were made.

Nitro Express
05-10-2011, 01:01 AM
:D

It's pretty much fine by the standards of modern Western capitmalism too. We're all a bunch of cunts if you actually sit down and think about it.

People today are mixing up capitalism with corporate abuses. Capitalism is a free market. At it's best it's fair competition. It builds a middle class and fosters innovation. The problem is the government hasn't done it's job at carefully regulating the markets to keep things fair. Instead the politicians have been bought off by the corporations and now the government is regulating and taxing the middle class out of business. Capitalism is great when you have free open markets but you need to have a bit of government refereeing to keep the game fair. You need to have some rules that aren't biased to benefit one team over the other.

The major problem is the government right now. It's not doing it's proper job.

clarathecarrot
05-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Even though I have worked 48 hrs in the last 5 days that post in here of mine from this morning has want for me to download your microsoft spel check that I have never use in the years I have been on this site.

I just finishe another 11 hrs and this morning I had to mow the lawn and washed the deck and pick up the sticks from the trees and haul only about a 1/5 of a cord of fresh cut oak around back of the house, before work I,don't see why I can't spel. I hate living in the city.

I have tuesday off the only day in the 11 coming perhaps I will just stood in bed.

Dream of making molass mole ass mlos .... mole's asses beer.

Hey George,:biggrin: Crank out a pint for the kid yo!