PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS is fucking cool! Paul Simon Invites Fan Onstage To Play!

Hardrock69
05-16-2011, 09:43 AM
http://www.veryshortlist.com/vsl/daily.cfm/review/1870/Web_video/duncan/?vp

Last Saturday in Toronto, a woman named Rayna Ford went to a Paul Simon concert. She called out to the singer: “Play ‘Duncan!,’” or words to that effect; Simon heard her better onstage than we do in this video taken from the audience. “You learned to play guitar in this song?” Simon replied, and invited her to get up alongside him.

What happened next was very sweet, and genuinely moving: It’s the moment of Rayna Ford’s life, and a chance for Simon to show us that he’s a bit less crazy after all these years.And it made us think that you can be as far as possible from a punk rocker and still buy into rock and roll’s ultra-democratic premise (which is also a promise): Given a level playing field, any of us could simply switch places with our favorite performers. (Although, of course, that Platinum Amex card does get you closer to the stage in the first place.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXBlY5CImUU&feature=player_embedded

chefcraig
05-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Now that made my day. Simply outstanding. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/respect/respect-067.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/free-respect-smileys.html)

What a joyful thing to do, and a sterling thing to witness. Nicely done, Mr. Simon. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/respect/respect-023.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

Diamondjimi
05-16-2011, 10:45 AM
That made my day. Great find HR.

I'll tell ya, I wish someone would've done that at a couple of the VH shows on the last tour.
That infamous Vegas solo of Ed's? Ecch.... That is the one time I could actually say I could've smoked him on guitar that night...

FORD
05-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Always cool when a fan gets to play with their musical "heroes" on stage. A certain band from Ireland has been doing that for years as well.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyo1VZIWgF8

Hardrock69
05-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Goddam....that Vegas solo fucking SUCKED FUCKING ASS!!! :mad:

I woulda wanted my fucking money back!

Diamondjimi
05-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Damn right...

At first I thought it was one of those "shreds" videos. But it didn't take long to realize it was the real thing. What a shame to see one your guitar hero's reduced to Ace Diamond calibre...

PETE'S BROTHER
05-16-2011, 12:44 PM
after that show i won a couple hundred bucks on a poker game, kind of a reimbursement i guess

Kristy
05-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Damn right...

At first I thought it was one of those "shreds" videos. But it didn't take long to realize it was the real thing. What a shame to see one your guitar hero's reduced to Ace Diamond calibre...

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

Say what you want about Ace, but the cape is off limits.

Hardrock69
05-16-2011, 12:52 PM
:lmao:

Kristy
05-16-2011, 12:58 PM
There is a book written by Chuck Klosterman whose title escapes me where he speaks of meeting Bono for the first time. Chuck just didn't want to have another boring interview with the guy so instead he wanted to know if Bono was the true philanthropist he claims to be. And I can't remember what city it was in - either L.A. or Boston where Chuck got a hold of a $140,000 Ferrari and picked up Bono at the airport or wherever. Chuck later gave Bono the car for the afternoon to do with as he wished. Bono basically drove around that afternoon and picked up people at bus stops giving them rides to work or to the store where Bono actually went shopping with one woman and took her back to her apartment and help put away her groceries.

Kristy
05-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Goddam....that Vegas solo fucking SUCKED FUCKING ASS!!!

That was just PAINFUL. Eeeek!

Diamondjimi
05-16-2011, 01:37 PM
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

Say what you want about Ace, but the cape is off limits.

They make capes that big?

There is a book written by Chuck Klosterman whose title escapes me where he speaks of meeting Bono for the first time. Chuck just didn't want to have another boring interview with the guy so instead he wanted to know if Bono was the true philanthropist he claims to be. And I can't remember what city it was in - either L.A. or Boston where Chuck got a hold of a $140,000 Ferrari and picked up Bono at the airport or wherever. Chuck later gave Bono the car for the afternoon to do with as he wished. Bono basically drove around that afternoon and picked up people at bus stops giving them rides to work or to the store where Bono actually went shopping with one woman and took her back to her apartment and help put away her groceries.

Cool story...

FORD
05-16-2011, 02:04 PM

What would Jesus do....... with a Ferrari? :drive:

PETE'S BROTHER
05-16-2011, 02:47 PM
What would Jesus do....... with a Ferrari? :drive:

Is it Ok For a Christian to Own a Ferrari? from Jay Lee on Vimeo.

binnie
05-16-2011, 03:05 PM

You see, that's a really nice thing to do. It's just not what I want my rock stars to do - they have a licence to act irresponsibly whilst the rest of us have to conform. USE IT.

Irritating as he is, Bono is probably a very nice man.

Blaze
05-16-2011, 08:48 PM
To expect a rock star to conform "to act irresponsibly" well that would be conforming.
Most talented people are pretty cool and great people.

BTW, Paul Simon = cool. :baaa:

Mr. Vengeance
05-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Wow....Art Garfunkel really let himself go!

Seshmeister
05-18-2011, 06:03 PM

I'm a bit cynical about this story because it doesn't explain when and how they managed to do the modifications so his feet could reach the pedals.

lesfunk
05-18-2011, 06:09 PM
touching indeed.

Seshmeister
05-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Yes but still not quite as touching as when that thalidomide guy came onstage during the last Van Halen tour and played bass for the whole second half of the show...

lesfunk
05-18-2011, 06:16 PM
not quite... indeed

Seshmeister
05-18-2011, 06:44 PM
I maybe crossed a line there. :)