PDA

View Full Version : "Grease" actor Jeff Conaway critical after overdose...

Diamondjimi
05-19-2011, 08:40 PM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Jeff Conaway, former star of the film "Grease" and the 1970s TV series "Taxi" has been hospitalized due to an apparent overdose of painkillers.

Conaway's manager Phil Brock said on Thursday the actor was in "critical but stable condition" at a Los Angeles area hospital and was "unconscious and unresponsive".

The 60-year-old actor, who has a history of addiction to cocaine, alcohol and prescription painkillers, was found unconscious at his home last week by a friend and may have been there for about 10 hours before being discovered.

Conway has yet to come to although he did turn his head briefly last Sunday, Brock said.

Brock said the actor was suffering from pneumonia and was already sick at the time of the overdose.

Conaway's troubles with addiction were documented in 2008 on the TV series "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew".

Brock said that prior to the overdose, his client "had been despondent in the last two months due to a girlfriend situation, but a week and a half ago he was much more upbeat."

Conaway was also recovering from back surgery, which hindered his ability to stand. But he recently made an appearance at an autograph show in southern California where he was able to stand and interact with fans.

"That was a positive point for him," said Brock.

Brock, who had advised his client against appearing on reality shows, said Conaway had a rough childhood.

"When he was 7 years old, his grand-mother let him taste the moonshine she made in her bathtub; when he was 10 and a child actor, his dad took all his money and ran away. Later, Jeff had a the world in his hand and would find ways to destroy it," Brock told Reuters.

Brock said that in the last month, Conaway's "Grease" co-star John Travolta offered to pay for the troubled actor to go to rehab.

"Jeff wasn't opposed to it, but he wasn't ready yet," said Brock.

Brock said that since the news of Conaway's hospitalization, his office has been flooded with calls from the actor's childhood and high school friends, offering well wishes.

"Putting aside his demons, Jeff is the nicest, kindest, gentlest soul," said Brock. "He's a wonderful man, which makes it doubly sad that he is unable to conquer drugs. As a human being, he's the person who'd literally give the shirt off his back for someone. In our office, having worked with him for 8 yeas, we hope and pray for his recovery."

(Reporting by Zorianna Kit; Editing by Jill Serjeant)
Explore Related Content

LINK (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/grease-actor-jeff-conaway-critical-overdose-192446281.htmlhttp://)

SunisinuS
05-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Yea I feel bad for that Cat. He always had that sweet on the edge type of Jerk thing about him. Steve Martin just got over it. Sigh. Hope he lives to see another day with full faculties.

sadaist
05-20-2011, 01:38 AM
I liked him in Grease & Taxi. But he was stuck as Kanicky from Grease. He thought he really was that guy and never broke free from it. A couple of the girls from that movie are still stuck & think they are Pink Ladies to this day.

I wish Jeff the best, but he has been in a coma for a week already? I'm afraid if he does come out of this, given his advanced age and already deteriorated mind, there won't be much left to him.

Nitro Express
05-20-2011, 01:47 AM
I knew he was an actor but never knew what movies and shows he was in. I just know him from that celebrity rehab show. Addiction is a weird disease. Some people just need that escape so bad they never can beat it. Acting with all it's ups and down and the whole image mind fuck plays it's toll on so many in that business.

Diamondjimi
05-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Sometimes these people are their own worst enemies. It's like watching Bobby Wheeler have a meltdown....

SunisinuS
05-20-2011, 01:57 AM
I liked him in Grease & Taxi. But he was stuck as Kanicky from Grease. He thought he really was that guy and never broke free from it. A couple of the girls from that movie are still stuck & think they are Pink Ladies to this day.

I wish Jeff the best, but he has been in a coma for a week already? I'm afraid if he does come out of this, given his advanced age and already deteriorated mind, there won't be much left to him.

I never watched Grease....hope that does me make me anti-gay....but Sound of Music was as about as far as I got into musicals. I am sure that they are kewl.....just un-informed I am sure. Sound of Music I can sing every song.

sadaist
05-20-2011, 01:58 AM
I knew he was an actor but never knew what movies and shows he was in.

Well, other than 2 roles he hasn't really done anything. The TV series Taxi he was in, but the main thing he is known for is Grease. He was basically the 2nd in command of the gang behind John Travolta. But honestly I can think of nothing else he was ever in besides those 2.

Nitro Express
05-20-2011, 01:59 AM
Drug abuse equals death. Some kill you quick and some kill you slow. Some just a little too much and you are gone. Drugs are a lot of fun but they are no different than jumping a bunch of buses on a motorcycle or cliff diving. It's hardcore entertainment and it may kill you.

lesfunk
05-20-2011, 02:02 AM
I never watched Grease....hope that does me make me anti-gay....:lmao:

SunisinuS
05-20-2011, 02:07 AM
:lmao:

Lol Sorry I just don't get it......my bad.

:indifferent0020:

I mean Cheerleaders and Grandstands?

Sorry and Westside Story..... Dang....I am sorry. I just don't get it. I fail.

twonabomber
05-20-2011, 02:08 AM
Well, other than 2 roles he hasn't really done anything. The TV series Taxi he was in, but the main thing he is known for is Grease. He was basically the 2nd in command of the gang behind John Travolta. But honestly I can think of nothing else he was ever in besides those 2.

i think he was in Jawbreaker, one of the girls' fathers. not a real big part.

Nitro Express
05-20-2011, 02:10 AM
There is some funny innuendo in Grease. It always cracks me up when Travolta is singing at the drive in movie theater and right when he finishes the song and goes, "Oh Sandy." the hot dog jumps into the bun on the screen.

sadaist
05-20-2011, 02:54 AM
I wanted to fuck Rizzo. You just know that bitch took it in the arse & swallowed.

binnie
05-20-2011, 03:06 AM
It's always sad to read about stuff like this. Guess some people can't conquer their demons.

chefcraig
05-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Taxi was great, but it really was an ensemble effort. To me, this ranks as one of the finest scenes ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvn-tBeLpCk

Jagermeister
05-20-2011, 10:05 AM
I never really watched it. The red head is cute though.

fryingdutchman
05-20-2011, 10:53 AM
The red head is cute though.

Marilu Henner is the redhead....and you probably have a shot with her.

She was apparently the town bicycle on the "Taxi" set....EVERYBODY had a ride.

And for those who can't capture my meaning....she REALLY likes to fuck.

Another interesting note about Henner....she is only one of 6 known people in the world who have "Superior Autobiographical Memory." She can remember every detail of every day of her life. Pretty freaky....

fifth element
05-20-2011, 05:05 PM
enjoyed Taxi, for sure!

decent cast....and funny as hell.....:biggrin:

Terry
05-20-2011, 08:28 PM
I never watched Grease....hope that does me make me anti-gay....but Sound of Music was as about as far as I got into musicals. I am sure that they are kewl.....just un-informed I am sure. Sound of Music I can sing every song.

Hmmmm...can sing every song in the Sound Of Music...yes, THERE's a ringing endorsement for your heterosexuality...

Now outed, you're free to watch Grease now:baaa:

sadaist
05-21-2011, 01:58 AM
Hmmmm...can sing every song in the Sound Of Music...yes, THERE's a ringing endorsement for your heterosexuality...

Now outed, you're free to watch Grease now:baaa:

She always lost me at "FA...a long, long way to go"

SunisinuS
05-21-2011, 02:44 AM
I am 17 going on 18!

Marilu Henner is a female red head. Last clean ride you will ever have Terry. How is your fellow's treating you?

Hotel California?

Don't bend over for the soap little girl lover! You still sucking Vincent Bugliosi's dick?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson

Oops?

Lol been a long week. So just goofing off. Look will get netflix and watch Grease so I can relate more. Like I said...my bad. Did not mean to disparage it. Just never saw it.

Terry
05-21-2011, 11:03 AM
I am 17 going on 18!

Marilu Henner is a female red head. Last clean ride you will ever have Terry. How is your fellow's treating you?

Hotel California?

Don't bend over for the soap little girl lover! You still sucking Vincent Bugliosi's dick?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson

Oops?

Lol been a long week. So just goofing off. Look will get netflix and watch Grease so I can relate more. Like I said...my bad. Did not mean to disparage it. Just never saw it.

Methinks Marilu Henner was quite the ginger snap.

Man, bringing up Bugliosi...jeez, dude, that's just MEAN:tongue0011:

Actually, you're not really missing out on much by not having seen Grease, although Olivia Newton John DOES dress up in a tight black outfit at the end of the movie that is very hot.

fryingdutchman
05-27-2011, 03:50 PM
JEFF CONAWAY DIES AT 60
(CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES - Jeff Conaway, who played Kenickie in "Grease" and Bobby Wheeler on "Taxi," has died.

Spokeswoman Kathryn Boole said the 60-year-old actor died Friday morning at the Encino Tarzana Medical Center, where he had been hospitalized in a coma since May 11. His manager, Phil Brock, has said Conaway had tried to treat himself with pain pills and cold medicine while in weakened health and suffered an apparent overdose.

According to E! Online, the actor's family decided to take him off life support on Thursday, after doctors said there was no hope of recovery.

Conaway's ex-girlfriend, Vikki Lizzi, tried to see the actor before he died, according to reports, but his family was granted a restraining order barring her from coming to the hospital. Lizzi, who was the one who found Conaway unconscious, tried to overturn the order, but was unsuccessful and didn't get to see him, E! reports.

The actor had long battled drug and alcohol addiction, which he blamed in part on back problems and repeated surgeries. He battled those addictions publicly when he appeared on the VH1 reality series "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" in 2008.

Conaway played high school bad-boy Kenickie in the 1978 movie "Grease" and appeared in the Broadway version of the musical. He also played struggling actor Bobby in the sitcom "Taxi" from 1978 to 1981.

Diamondjimi
05-27-2011, 06:31 PM
R.i.p.

FORD
05-27-2011, 06:50 PM
When he was on Celebrity Rehab, it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to be around much longer. Sucks that he had to die, but too bad he didn't take his cunt of a girlfriend with him. She was very much the Nancy Spungeon/Cuntney Love type who probably had a lot to do with Jeff's addiction. :(

Diamondjimi
05-27-2011, 08:33 PM
No doubt...

Mr. Vengeance
05-27-2011, 09:18 PM
He's dead? How could anyone tell?

sadaist
05-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Sucks that he had to die :(

That's about all I could say about the guy. Was never a fan, but appreciated his roles in Grease & Taxi. Dude struggled for a large part of his life which is a shitty way to spend your time. Also sad for the family to make the decision to pull the plug. That has gotta be a hell of a choice to make & I don't envy it.

clarathecarrot
06-03-2011, 03:10 AM
Dude is exactly how perhaps we all feel if we care about others, RIP you rat bastard/.

I never watched Taxi I only saw Grease when it came out,because my high school sweetie wore spandex leotards and was a mother fucking fox like, Obliviouse Natron Bimby and I was a greaser..?

Other than that no conection.

and drugs...?

ThrillsNSpills
06-03-2011, 11:05 AM
When he was on Celebrity Rehab, it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to be around much longer. Sucks that he had to die, but too bad he didn't take his cunt of a girlfriend with him. She was very much the Nancy Spungeon/Cuntney Love type who probably had a lot to do with Jeff's addiction. :(

Very true. She was a textbook definition of enabler.