PDA

View Full Version : Mick Forms New Band - Keef's gonna be pissed!

Mr Walker
05-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Sir Mick Jagger has teamed up with Joss Stone, Dave Stewart, Damian Marley and AR Rahman to form a new supergroup, reports say.

Currently in talks with major labels about a possible deal, the lineup believed to be labouring under the moniker 'Super Heavy', features an eclectic array of artists. A source was quoted by the New York Post: "They just finished a record and their first video and are talking to major labels about a deal. The name for the band at the moment is Super Heavy."

Another source told the Post, "Each member has a very distinct and different style, but it works. Mick has been recording with Dave for a while, and both worked with Joss in the past."
Alongside soul singer Stone, former Eurythmics star Stewart and Bob Marley's youngest son, Sir Mick is also joined by A.R. Rahman. Known as "The Mozart of Madras," Rahman was responsible for the double Oscar-winning music for 'Slumdog Millionaire.'

In response to the Super Heavy claims, a representative for Sir Mick said, "They all thought it would be interesting and great fun to go into the studio and play some music. No video has been shot, no label in place. All a bit premature."

http://www.spinner.com/2011/05/20/mick-jagger-super-heavy-joss-stone-dave-stewart/

Mr Walker
05-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Well played Sir Mick... payback for Keith talking shit about him in his book... LMAO!!!

FORD
05-20-2011, 01:45 PM
When will Mick learn?

I'm probably the biggest Stones fan on the planet, but when it comes to Mick's solo work...... honestly, the only album I can listen to all the way through is "Wandering Spirit".

Dude, you're almost 68 fucking years old. Stop trying to keep up with the trendies. Just get Mick Taylor & Bill Wyman back on board, and get out there and do a huge "50th Anniversary Rolling Stones World Tour" for the next 2 years, and then call it a day.

It's hard to imagine a world without the Rolling Stones, but even harder to imagine Mick making a record with people who could be his grandchildren and having it sound good. :(

chefcraig
05-20-2011, 01:57 PM
This seems almost as cringe-worthy as his appearance on MTV's TRL a few years ago promoting his last solo album. The truth is, Keith probably will notice, yet he'll be just about the only person on the planet to do so.

Terry
05-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Mmmm...Joss Stone and Dave Stewart?

Yes, um...can't say this lineup is one I'm anxious to hear.

Mick and The Stones are just done, anyway. Love the band and their accomplishments, but they've been creatively dormant for decades...there will be another predictable EnormoDome series of stadium gigs with all the Hot Rocks classics flogged...Jann Wenner will masturbate himself raw backstage while filing now obligatory "They've still got it" press blatherings for RS magazine...

Get Taylor back in the band and there you might have something...

Wyman was smart to quit when he did.

twonabomber
05-20-2011, 11:13 PM
When will Mick learn?

I'm probably the biggest Stones fan on the planet, but when it comes to Mick's solo work...... honestly, the only album I can listen to all the way through is "Wandering Spirit".

Dude, you're almost 68 fucking years old. Stop trying to keep up with the trendies. Just get Mick Taylor & Bill Wyman back on board, and get out there and do a huge "50th Anniversary Rolling Stones World Tour" for the next 2 years, and then call it a day.

It's hard to imagine a world without the Rolling Stones, but even harder to imagine Mick making a record with people who could be his grandchildren and having it sound good. :(

i remember a quote (and i think it was in Musician magazine) about Mick's solo albums prior to Wandering Spirit: "up studio musician creek without a paddle."

FORD
05-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Yeah.... even having Jeff Beck play on the records didn't save them.... though "Throwaway" was probably one of the high points.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnljoW3Wlo

Diamondjimi
05-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Well played Sir Mick... payback for Keith talking shit about him in his book... LMAO!!!

Haha, Mick and his grapefruit with a Tic-Tac sitting on top. :biggrin:

Why can't the Stones do what FORD suggested and get Bill and Taylor back for one final album and tour, then close up shop? Stick a fork in it, they're done!

Nitro Express
05-21-2011, 01:10 AM
I can remember me and some friends going to see the Rolling Stones in 1981. Back then we said they are getting old and we better see them because they probably won't be doing it much longer. Who would have thought they would have lasted as long as they did.

Diamondjimi
05-21-2011, 01:40 AM
:lol: Heard the same story back then from classmates who saw the same tour.

sadaist
05-21-2011, 01:49 AM
I'm probably the biggest Stones fan on the planet

Always dug their music. Always thought Mick was the biggest flamer on the planet. Would see his videos in the 80's with David Bowie & such and think how can this fag think he is so fucking cool? Look at him! This guy is the biggest dork queer in the world.

Then the Stones played the Los Angeles Coliseum and I figured I should at least see the Stones once in my life. One of those bands everyone should see once.

I was wrong about Mick.

Mick WAS the show. That mother fucker was the coolest, most energetic guy I had ever seen and worked the crowd over like no one I had ever seen. He made everything he did look so fucking cool. Never seen a guy run from one side of the stage to the other for an entire show without tiring out. Mick could have gone another 5 hours easy.

It was incredible to see. And I have had a new level of respect for the guy ever since. Seen the Stones 6 times now. Always rock the hell out of the joint. Mick rules.

twonabomber
05-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Yeah.... even having Jeff Beck play on the records didn't save them.... though "Throwaway" was probably one of the high points.....

i like Throwaway. there's maybe one other good song on Primitive Cool.

She's The Boss sounds really dated now, it's hard to listen to.

Terry
05-21-2011, 11:08 AM
i like Throwaway. there's maybe one other good song on Primitive Cool.

She's The Boss sounds really dated now, it's hard to listen to.

Would have to agree. The first single off it, Just Another Night, was pretty catchy...

lesfunk
05-21-2011, 08:01 PM
It seems like Jagger has these sporadic urges to get "current" and put out records of modern hip sounds which is fine. He certainly has the wherewithal to do as he pleases.
Keith has learned that hipness comes from within and consequently will always appear more relevant than Mick. Usually solo albums from members of iconic groups tend to do little more than to illustrate the chemistry which made the groups iconic in the first place , making the solo effort often seem "less than".

kwame k
05-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Nicely put, Les!

twonabomber
09-20-2011, 11:47 AM
well...i listened to it. they must have a different idea of "heavy" over there across the pond.

it's okay. mostly reggae stuff. nothing groundbreaking. Keef has nothing to worry about.

maybe Mick knocked up another 22 year old and this is meant to pay for the diapers and nanny, i duuno. we usually get a Stones tour if he has another kid or gets another divorce/breakup...

Seshmeister
09-20-2011, 02:26 PM
When will Mick learn?
re almost 68 fucking years old. Stop trying to keep up with the trendies. Just get Mick Taylor & Bill Wyman back on board, and get out there and do a huge "50th Anniversary Rolling Stones World Tour" for the next 2 years, and then call it a day.

They could get Gary Glitter on backing vocals and call it the 'Fuck a Child World Tour', maybe Jimmy Page is available too...

binnie
09-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Things we certainly a lot more liberal in the '60s..............

Hardrock69
09-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Some friends of mine heard it and said it was worth having. But there is nobody in that lineup who interests me.

Saw the Stones in Boulder, CO in October of 1981, and they were lame. Saw them in Kansas City in 1989 on the Steel Wheels tour....and they redeemed themselves. Kicked my fucking ass.

Good for him that he wants to do something different. But I really don't care....

Coyote
09-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Would have to agree. The first single off it, Just Another Night, was pretty catchy...

IMO, "Lucky In Love" ain't that bad...