PDA

View Full Version : Talking Nazi Dogs? (I shit you not!)

Nickdfresh
05-26-2011, 11:29 AM
How Nazi Scientists Tried to Create an Army of Talking Dogs
By: William Lee Adams

REUTERS/Tobias Schwarz
http://motivationalimage.com/old/wp-content/2008_03/c1783f53e8.jpg
It's further proof that Hitler was barking mad.

In his new book Amazing Dogs: A Cabinet of Canine Curiosities, Cardiff University historian Jan Bondeson mines obscure German periodicals to reveal the Nazis' failed attempt to breed an army of educated dogs that could read, write and talk. "In the 1920s, Germany had numerous 'new animal psychologists' who believed dogs were nearly as intelligent as humans, and capable of abstract thinking and communication," he writes. "When the Nazi party took over, one might have thought they would be building concentration camps to lock these fanatics up, but instead they were actually very interested in their ideas."

According to the book, scientists envisioned a day when dogs would serve alongside German troops, and perhaps free up SS officers by guarding concentration camps. So to unlock all that canine potential, Hitler set up a Tier-Sprechschule (Animal Talking School) near Hanover and recruited "educated dogs" from throughout the country. Teachers claimed a number of incredible findings. An Airedale terrier named Rolf became a mythic figure of the project after teachers said he could spell by tapping his paw on a board (the number of taps represented the various letters of the alphabet). With that skill in hand, he mused on religion, learned foreign languages and even asked a noblewoman, "Can you wag your tail?" Perhaps most outlandish is the claim by his German masters that he asked to serve in the German army because he disliked the French. Another mutt barked "Mein Fuhrer" when asked to describe Hitler. And Don, a German pointer, is said to have imitated a human voice to bark, "Hungry! Give me cakes!" in German.

Germany's love of dogs may have blinded the Nazis to the outlandish goals of their project. "Part of the Nazi philosophy was that there was a strong bond between humans and nature. They believed a good Nazi should be an animal friend," Bondeson says. "Indeed, when they started interning Jews, the newspapers were flooded with outraged letters from Germans wondering what had happened to the pets they left behind."

Hitler, a well-known dog-lover, had two German Shepherds named Blondi and Bella. He killed Blondi shortly before killing himself in 1945. (via The Sun)

Read more: Time.com (http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/25/how-nazi-scientsts-tried-to-create-an-army-of-talking-dogs/#ixzz1NTMBJQOz)

Yahoo Link (http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/25/how-nazi-scientsts-tried-to-create-an-army-of-talking-dogs/?xid=rss-fullworld-yahoo)

Nickdfresh
05-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Welp, the Russians actually trained dogs to lay mines onto German tanks, and it sort of worked but wasn't worth the time and effort in the end. But the Nazi Germans were known for reaching and wasting their money on bizarre, duplicitous projects...

Nitro Express
05-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Probably no more stupid than a lot of stuff our government has wasted money on.

Nickdfresh
05-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Probably no more stupid than a lot of stuff our government has wasted money on.

No. They were pretty stupid. As woefully inefficient was Western democracies can be, the Nazis were ten times worse (ironically). They often fostered competing projects and devolved funding into numerous streams wastefully. Of course, the image of fascism is one of unity and strength, even absolute power. But in reality, one of the Nazi's greatest weaknesses was the fact that Hitler often had the tendency to play people off against one another as if he was a contestant on Survivor often splitting commands, responsibilities, and research into impotent parallel structures...

Then again, the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind as the Ark of the Covenant it sits in a U.S. federal gov't warehouse among thousands of research projects in crates awaiting funding... :)

Anonymous
05-26-2011, 02:24 PM
It's further proof that Hitler was barking mad.

Whoever wrote this should be shot. Goin' for the obvious, low hanging "joke" doesn't make one witty, but rather proves one is a FAKKIN' retard.

Perhaps most outlandish is the claim by his German masters that he asked to serve in the German army because he disliked the French.

I don't see anything outlandish about disliking the French.

And Don, a German pointer, is said to have imitated a human voice to bark, "Hungry! Give me cakes!" in German.

That's a lie.

"Indeed, when they started interning Jews, the newspapers were flooded with outraged letters from Germans wondering what had happened to the pets they left behind."

See? And you all thought them Sauerkrauts were bad people. A bad person doesn't worry about animals.

Cheers! :bottle:

chefcraig
05-26-2011, 07:43 PM
At least now we know where Dean Koontz got the ideas for all of those "evil government experiments to create super intelligent dogs" books from.

FORD
05-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Would a Nazi dog take orders from Adolf Kitler?

http://blog.pawshpal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/178042151_e8d5a92cc9_m1.jpg

Diamondjimi
05-27-2011, 01:28 AM
And Don, a German pointer, is said to have imitated a human voice to bark, "Hungry! Give me cakes!" in German.

The German language sounds like a dog choking on cat shit . There could be some truth to that claim .....

Would a Nazi dog take orders from Adolf Kitler?

http://blog.pawshpal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/178042151_e8d5a92cc9_m1:.jpg

:lol:

Nitro Express
05-27-2011, 01:43 AM
No. They were pretty stupid. As woefully inefficient was Western democracies can be, the Nazis were ten times worse (ironically). They often fostered competing projects and devolved funding into numerous streams wastefully. Of course, the image of fascism is one of unity and strength, even absolute power. But in reality, one of the Nazi's greatest weaknesses was the fact that Hitler often had the tendency to play people off against one another as if he was a contestant on Survivor often splitting commands, responsibilities, and research into impotent parallel structures...

Then again, the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind as the Ark of the Covenant it sits in a U.S. federal gov't warehouse among thousands of research projects in crates awaiting funding... :)

It always amazed me such nut jobs could hijack such a technologically advanced country. I had a German room mate in college and the thing those people feared the most was a poor economy and war. We bombed Libya then and he just freaked. Most the people on campus were like yeah, let's get that fuck Kaddafi (amazing how things never change). The German guy was worried the war action could esculate and told us if our country had been totally devastated by war and we had relatives who told horror stories about it maybe we wouldn't be so gung ho about war.

He was also more careful with his money than the Americans were. Most Germans refuse to have a credit card and save over 10% of their income. It was rampant inflation and a poor economy that paved the way for a well organized minority of maniacs to come into power.

To be honest, the US could slide down the same path if we aren't careful. Bernanke has us on the road to inflation, we have idiot leaders getting us into more war situations. Hitler lost because he fought on too many fronts. We keep adding those as well. I don't know what our objective is though. We apparently got Bin Laden. What we are doing now and who we are after now is a good question.

Nitro Express
05-27-2011, 01:47 AM
The German language sounds like a dog choking on cat shit . There could be some truth to that claim .....

:lol:

It depends on who's speaking it. I speak german and cantonese. To be honest, I think chinese is a nasty sounding language. Spanish is probably the best sounding language.

Seshmeister
05-27-2011, 05:44 AM
To be honest, the US could slide down the same path if we aren't careful.

Except it will be the fundamentalist Christian fascists.

I can't remember Hitler ever trying to ban masturbation...

Nitro Express
05-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Except it will be the fundamentalist Christian fascists.

I can't remember Hitler ever trying to ban masturbation...

The fundamentalist Christians don't get along with each other. They all hunker down in their little groups and call each other names. Believe me this isn't one big unified group of people who are going to take over the country.

What is killing the US is everyone's entitlement complex and expecting the government owes them something. Everything is sucking on the public treasury and nothing is being fixed. When it finally snaps that's when it will be trouble. Right now certain groups are stealing all they can while they can. Bernanke will print money. The politicians will raise the debt ceiling and spend more. They just need a bigger war as a distraction and to blame all the problems on.

Nobody in Washington is interesting in fixing anything. It's business as usual that will possibly open pandora's box not the religious nut balls.