PDA

View Full Version : Ice rapture missed

jacksmar
05-26-2011, 04:12 PM
http://blogs.forbes.com/jamestaylor/2011/05/25/polar-ice-rapture-misses-its-deadline/

While Harold Camping spends this week trying to wipe egg off his face after real-world events spectacularly falsified his prediction that the Christian rapture would occur on May 21, global warming alarmists are similarly trying to wipe egg off their faces after real-world events spectacularly falsified their predictions of an imminent polar ice rapture.

This week, a 1979 Palm Beach Post article resurfaced in which Steven Schneider, who for the past 30 years was one of the most prominent global warming alarmists, claimed the west Antarctic ice sheet could melt before the year 2000 and inundate American coastlines with up to 25 feet of sea level rise. Obviously, the west Antarctic ice sheet was not raptured away last century, and New Yorkers can still drive rather than swim to work.

Anonymous
05-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't get all this rapture business that's been goin' on these days.

Fuckin' bunch of cowards! Man up, motherfuckers. I ain't skeered & neither should you be.

Contrary to popular belief, it's highly unlikely they'll be able to learn how to open doors.

Cheers! :bottle:

PETE'S BROTHER
05-26-2011, 05:02 PM
nope, they figured that out

chefcraig
05-26-2011, 06:33 PM
So, the prediction made 32 years ago in a semi-obscure, third rate Florida newspaper was wrong. It's highly unlikely that global warming folks are wiping egg off of their faces, as the blogger infers. I'm more pissed off we still don't have the flying cars everyone was supposed to be able to afford, according to a Popular Mechanics article published in the late 50's. The magazine predicted it was to be available by 1967. :duh:

http://img1.imagehousing.com/95/13050c802f1c4e765499ac0fdf768337.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/)

Guitar Shark
05-26-2011, 06:48 PM
So, the prediction made 32 years ago in a semi-obscure, third rate Florida newspaper was wrong.

Yeah, man, WTF!!!

What Motivates Climate Change Deniers (http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/05/26/136676621/what-motivates-climate-change-deniers?sc=fb&cc=fp)?

chefcraig
05-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Oddly enough, if you read the original piece, Schneider only mentions the "possibility before the end of the century", and at no point mentions this as an ironclad fact. In other words, he engaged in some educated speculation.

You can read the original article here: Picture Grim If Polar Ice Melts - January 8, 1979 (http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/1979-ncar-forecast-sea-level-may-rise-15-25-feet-before-the-year-2000/)

SunisinuS
05-26-2011, 11:09 PM
"could"

And also where is your flying car...or your own personal Fire Chariot...and the machine to pat on you on the back?

Wholly Different.

FORD
05-26-2011, 11:29 PM
If this year's Florida hurricane season is comparable to the current tornado season in the Midwest, I wonder if Jerksmear will still be denying global climate change?

lesfunk
05-27-2011, 12:38 AM
I don't think anybody would disagree with the fact that the climate is changing. The question is to what degree does the human element (industry, cars, deforestation,pollution etc.) factor into it?
I'm no scientist, but common sense tells me it must be significant. Whether or not all these tornadoes are man's fault, I dunno But We are connected to nature even if Rush Limbaugh doesn't think so.

Unchainme
05-27-2011, 01:03 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

I hate to throw this card down, but, to me it just proves that the enviorment can change, and have it nothing to do with human kind really impacting it all that much.

I think that a major reason why much of the hype is thrown down about climate change is all in effort to get funding for various professors and scientists out there, who wouldn't get it it they were being a 100% honest. Do you think some average scientist working on campus at the university of colorado is getting a grant to study whatever the hell he desires by NOT making it seem like we're on the verge of some hellish road-warrior type future because we drive automobiles?

At the same time though, I won't argue against going green and trying to go back to a more natural way so that we can have the forrests and such that we hold so dearly be around for generations to see. I think doing things like recycling seem economically responsible, and picking up after ourselves is just being a good, orderly member of society. I'd also argue that striving for alternative energy is something that MUST BE DONE, and is something I'd like to see within my lifetime, IF NOT THE NEXT 10-15 years. Seriously, find a way to get this done, and lets advance past having to rely on some dictators and backwoods desert hillbillies, and maybe improve the civilized world's economy.

Nitro Express
05-27-2011, 01:53 AM
So, the prediction made 32 years ago in a semi-obscure, third rate Florida newspaper was wrong. It's highly unlikely that global warming folks are wiping egg off of their faces, as the blogger infers. I'm more pissed off we still don't have the flying cars everyone was supposed to be able to afford, according to a Popular Mechanics article published in the late 50's. The magazine predicted it was to be available by 1967. :duh:

http://img1.imagehousing.com/95/13050c802f1c4e765499ac0fdf768337.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/)

We could have a lot of things but our society is too corrupt to make it happen. Plus, people are too idiotic to have flying cars. They can't even handle the ones on wheels on a two dimensional plane yet. I would hate to have a car come crashing through my roof because the driver got distracted text messaging or was drunk off their ass.

Nitro Express
05-27-2011, 01:59 AM
Whenever people complain about our energy problems I often think of this speech. People had to think JFK was off his nut when he said we were going to the moon. We never would have done it if he didn't have the balls to make the goal with a specific deadline. Why problems continue is because we have no real leadership anymore. We have con artists not leaders. Everyone is out for the quick buck and their own power trip. We are becoming a corrupt banana republic and those aren't the types of countries who do great things.

Nitro Express
05-27-2011, 03:35 AM
The climate has always changed as has the earth. What now are deserts used to be swamps. What are mountain tops used to be ocean floors. Big sheets of ice used to cover what is now Canada and the northern United States. Dinosaurs used to roam the earth. The thing is, I get a wee bit suspicious when a bunch of media hype is geared to scare the hell out of everyone and the solution is paying someone more money (carbon taxes). It's no different than a preacher scaring the hell out of people and making them think if they pay tithing, God won't punish them.

I'm open to changing a few things to help the environment but when the flames of panic are fanned by a media frenzy and the solution is big taxes and big brother, sorry, my bullshit meter just went off big time.

Nitro Express
05-27-2011, 03:41 AM

jacksmar
05-27-2011, 08:21 AM
If this year's Florida hurricane season is comparable to the current tornado season in the Midwest, I wonder if Jerksmear will still be denying global climate change?

TARD, has a hippie ever been right about Earth shit? No. When businesses try any everyday remedy, any renewable energy project proposed anywhere, every transmission line, every idea, every solar project, you name it, hippies block it. Got it? Hippies eat, shit, and consume. They just don’t fucking bathe.

TARD, hippies are shit for people. Hippies are the dumbest fucks on Earth. And where do hippies go to give birth or to get broken needles taken out of their arms distributed by your city? A fucking hospital.

TARD, your kind are what keeps my wallet full. Hippies and other useful idiots, hypocrites, and hippies are very funny to look at like monkeys in a fucking zoo. The whole hippy message is panic but they don’t know what to do after that.

TARD, what did every hippy do with their old buttons? Discarded signs? Old transportation? Old food containers? Old instruments? Where did they get the gas to burn shit at Berkley? Where did they go to get the”00” buck taken out of their sorry asses? Long long long blank stare.

Anyone see a hippy swimming with a fucking polar bear after all these long, long fucking years?

Hippy logic. Shit logic.

jacksmar
05-27-2011, 08:25 AM
http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/23/daryl-hannah-arrested/

Daryl Hannah has a smooth, flawless, gorgeous face that can stop traffic -- and today she got arrested for just that.

The 48-year-old "Clan of the Cave Bear" star, a NASA scientist and their ragtag group of protesters were arrested in West Virginia after blocking off a road leading to a coal processing plant in Raleigh County. Hannah's crew was protesting mountaintop removal mining -- a type of mining criticized for allegedly harming the environment.

30 were arrested in total and booked on misdemeanor charges of obstruction and impeding traffic.

jacksmar
05-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Al Gore invented global warming.

chefcraig
05-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Al Gore invented global warming.

Not true. Al Gore merely co-opted global warming theories (after others had done the legwork) and profited handsomely from it.