PDA

View Full Version : More Bush for Ubama

jacksmar
05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Obama, in Europe, signs Patriot Act extension

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_patriot_act

WASHINGTON – Minutes before a midnight deadline, President Barack Obama signed into law a four-year extension of post-Sept. 11 powers to search records and conduct roving wiretaps in pursuit of terrorists.

"It's an important tool for us to continue dealing with an ongoing terrorist threat," Obama said Friday after a meeting with French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

chefcraig
05-27-2011, 08:42 AM
It should be noted that before the President signed the extension, it was first passed by a vote of 72-23 in the Senate and by a vote of 250-153 in the House. Rather than pointing fingers at the chief executive, it would make more sense to question the reasoning of Congress.

Nickdfresh
05-27-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't have a problem with The Patriot Act™ in principle, and there have been some reforms. But this thing really needs to be gone through and revised with the onus on civil liberties...

Nitro Express
05-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Most voters regardless of their politics want the Patriot Act repealed. It basically tosses innocent until proven guilty out the window. It gives the government the power to arrest you, hold you as long as they want without trial, overseas if they wish and they don't have to notify your family. Basically, the government can do whatever they please to you and you have no protection or rights.

Now the government hasn't abused that power to the extreme where it's a Nazi Germany type situation but it makes that kind of thing legal and remember everything the SS and Gestapo did was legal under German law and Hitler was legally elected.

BigBadBrian
05-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't have a problem with The Patriot Act™ in principle, and there have been some reforms. But this thing really needs to be gone through and revised with the onus on civil liberties...

Nick, I damn well agree with you on this one. :gulp: