PDA

View Full Version : So I Read Steven Tyler's New Book Over The Weekend...

chefcraig
05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Like VH, I only have use for Aerosmith's first six albums (OK, seven counting Live Bootleg). Yet out of impulsive curiosity, I picked up Is The Noise In My Head Bothering You? for the hell of it while leaving work Friday. After reading it, I have a few issues with it.

I'm not so sure who Tyler is attempting to reach with this thing: the devoted Aerosmith die hards or the late-coming American Idol fans. Neither group is well served. Most hardcore fans have by now read Stephen Davis' Walk This Way bio, written with the band and published over a decade ago. Tyler's book redundantly goes over the same material, only serving to further muddy the waters of what was already a fuzzily remembered tale. (The problem with these rock star books is the only people that seem to know what took place is the band members themselves, who were apparently loaded out of their skulls at the time. So their recollection of events is dubious at best and self-serving at worst.) The American Idol crowd will wonder just what in the hell Tyler is talking about most of the time, as he seems to veer off on tangents that only make sense to him and only vaguely to other musicians.

For instance, early on he describes the act of songwriting, mentioning his use of scat singing and adding the detail that "Yesterday" was scatted as "Scrambled Eggs". Swell, yet unless you happen to know what scat singing is (using nonsense words in a rhythmic fashion to create a vocal line on which to later apply lyrics), the average reader will be confused. Also, if you were not a devoted Beatles trivia nut, it's unlikely you'd know that Paul McCartney carried the song "Yesterday" around for nearly two years with no words for the melody other than "Scrambled eggs, all I ever eat are scrambled eggs". Otherwise, reading this you'd come away scratching your head:

I would listen back, along with the rough of the song and I would hear lyrics. Every time. Tapped into my own subcontinent. It would jump right out at me from the scat. I could play you scats and if you listened close enough, you would hear the lyrics that I wrote. Not unlike psychoacoustics. If two people are playing, you hear things in the middle...Harmonics-slash-psychoacoustics-slash-vibe. The scat kink became Pink. The scat to "Yesterday" was "scrambled eggs". Fucking magic.

Even when Tyler goes into detail that is understandable, he misses the boat. When describing writing the song "Mama Kin", he says he based it upon an obscure Blodwyn Pig tune called "See My Way", yet when you play the tunes back to back, there is little (if any) similarity. Later on, he mentions the opening of the song "Write Me" is based upon the Beatles' "Got To Get You Into My Life", yet even as a so-called musician, I have absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

Instead of a straight forward, chronological narrative, Tyler jumps backward and forward, going all over the place and occasionally repeating the same story two or three times. What's worse, is each time he relates the story, the details are changed, giving the effect that two or three people are recalling the same thing, each with different perspective. Better yet, he mentions things that supposedly happened earlier, but when you flip back several pages to find these things, they are not there! He mentions a club that both Eric Clapton and Joey Kramer had played in a manner that implies he'd already mentioned it, but nothing can be found of the reference in the previous or following pages.

The overall effect of the book is of dealing with someone who possesses a case of arrested development and never got past being a teenager. That's fine for being a successful artist, actor, sportsman or musician. It just becomes incredibly tedious and quite annoying to read about someone's exploits written in that odd manner. For every insight and bit of humor Tyler offers, there are pages and pages of (what seems like) utter gibberish. On the other hand, you do not come away feeling stupider for having read the book, which is the only way to describe Sammy Hagar's attempt at an autobiography. And thankfully, Tyler doesn't need to talk about other people in order to make himself seem interesting.

All in all, not that great, a bit of a slog to get through and only occasionally worthwhile. Then again, compared to a book recently written by the rotund rocker, it's worthy of the Nobel Prize.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/88/f62300c90a4cf7a4add72000773c90de.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/)

ThrillsNSpills
05-31-2011, 01:06 PM
"Scrambled eggs, all I ever eat are scrambled eggs".

Hmmm? catchy. I like it.

Scrambled eggs, all I ever eat are scrambled eggs
Now I stumble cos I drink from kegs.

Walk this Way was a great read and so was this review.
Made me think of how raw Aerosmith's first album was. It's one of those sounds like they did it in a weekend kind of things, yet still interesting.

I don't know, I forgive this band for the abominable Don't want to Miss a Thing(except this song) when I think of all the classic stuff on a lot of their early albums.
It's pretty hard for a hard rock band to not make the same album every time, and then when you have the quality up to a Rocks, to follow it up consistently on a level like that.

what bothers me about Aerosmith is that after they inked that multimillion Sony deal, then you hear about them (sony) kicking the album back because there's not enough hits on it, then it gets polluted with crazy and amazin' and all of that.

chefcraig
05-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Hmmm? catchy. I like it.

Scrambled eggs, all I ever eat are scrambled eggs
Now I stumble cos I drink from kegs.

Plus my ex-wife only had one leg...

Nitro Express
05-31-2011, 02:07 PM
most of the time, as he seems to veer off on tangents that only make sense to him and only vaguely to other musicians.

So what you are saying is Tyler's book reads a lot like David Lee Roth's book. :biggrin:

Maybe Dave and Steve get what rock and roll is really about. It's an uncaged beast. It's an art form. Art is supposed to move you automatically and when you start to disect it, build hall of fames around it, bring snobbery and rules into it. Test and measure it. You've ruined it. Rock and roll is about the now. It's beyond thinking. it's feeling. It's pure emotion. If people want to make it into a science they don't get it. Like Dave once said rock and roll is the modern version of tribesmen dancing around the fire.

It's one reason Sammy Hagar was never a true rock and roller. He was too calculated. Sammy is an opportunist, not an artist. Opportunists tend to be better at business than artists and opportunists promote products, brands, and wear the local sports team jersey on stage. Opportunists are always calculating strategy on how to move product. They are marketing guys more than a deep connection to the mojo.

Mr. Vengeance
05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Good review of the book. Doesn't make me want to read it as a result.

As far as Aerosmith's albums, a lot of people say they don't like anything after the first 6 (7 with Bootleg), but I have to say, even without Perry and others, Rock in a Hard Place has some killer songs ("Lightning Strikes" being the best) and Done With Mirrors also has moments I love.

Diamondjimi
05-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Nice review Chef. But having read "Walk This Way" I have no interest in reading another bio about these guys. By the sounds of it, Tyler was most likely in full Thome mode gakked out on his meds when he put his one together....

I think I'll pass......

GreenBayLA
06-03-2011, 04:03 AM
Just picked it up last weekend and I'm snaking thru it. Tyler was my Higher Power in high school so I had to get the it. I don't expect too many revelations from the book but it's still interesting to get his take on the creative process and remembrances of a life long party all told in Tyler-speak. I heard his new song on LA classic rock station KLOS today, followed by Who Are You, what a contrast but they almost had to hit you with a classic after that pop rock song of his. I don't think KLOS played any Joe Perry songs but I rarely listen to them to know for sure.

sadaist
06-03-2011, 04:56 AM
I would.....I could....blah, blah, blah....... Fucking magic.

I fucking hate when musicians refer to anything they have done as 'magic'. In my limited experience & knowledge of music...very few recordings or moments have actually been what I would call magic.

$0.02

binnie
06-03-2011, 05:20 AM
Barry Manilow would disagree.

Seshmeister
06-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Nice review Chef. But having read "Walk This Way" I have no interest in reading another bio about these guys. By the sounds of it, Tyler was most likely in full Thome mode gakked out on his meds when he put his one together....

I think I'll pass......

Yeah basically he will have told his ghost writer stories that were told to him about what he did back in the day.

He should have called it 'Does my nose look good in this?'

chefcraig
06-03-2011, 09:49 AM
I fucking hate when musicians refer to anything they have done as 'magic'. In my limited experience & knowledge of music...very few recordings or moments have actually been what I would call magic.

Yeah basically he will have told his ghost writer stories that were told to him about what he did back in the day.

It's just fucking insipid. Apparently, Tyler's use of drugs are all part of what makes him a terrific and oh-so-bitchin' individual, despite the wrecked cars, lost fortunes, destroyed lives and occasional face-first collapses on stage due to over-indulgence. It's a weird as hell theme that inhabits nearly all of these "rock star tell-all" books: These half-wits lead charmed lives, speak of making, losing and remaking millions of dollars, revel in some of the most despicable sub-human behavior possible and occasionally notice people around them dying, yet seem to come away from it all astoundingly untouched, unchanged and learning little (if anything) from the experience. This idiotic book hardly works as a cautionary tale, mainly because the moron "writing" it refuses to acknowledge just how remarkably lucky he has been.

Those last two words seem to be a good place to end this on.

Seshmeister
06-03-2011, 03:48 PM
The thing that drives me insane is when these idiots fuck everything and everyone under the sun, smoke it, snort it, inject it all while drinking like lunatics for years and then have the fucking cheek to turn up on some chat show boasting how they are now sober and expect us to fucking applaud?????

Get back to work being a proper rock star or retire and keep the fuck out of all media.

Wankers.

chefcraig
06-03-2011, 04:14 PM
It's just so self-serving. The last half of the book centers on Tyler's medical issues, which were obviously brought on from decades of abuse. And it is whiningly pathetic, as he goes on about snorting Lunesta (yep, the same sleep aid seen in those annoying tv commercials mentioning bizarre side effects such as suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, hair loss and surprisingly for a sleep aid, drowsiness) as recently as last year. Coincidentally, this was when he was drafting this book, as some of the more oddball passages will attest.

The guy openly refers to his band mates as addicts that were never really sober, despite everything you've read over the years. That's fine, but it's also a case of the pot calling the kettle black. He calls them jerks toward the end and makes some pointed references to their wives, which should make for some interesting conversations should the band ever reunite. Considering they have only managed to produce an album full of covers in the past decade, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Seshmeister
06-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Talking of hair it's pretty fucking suspicious.

I know there are a few people in their late 50s/60s with full perfect hair but in the world of classic rock it's closer to 95%. :)

binnie
06-04-2011, 12:16 PM
With guys like these, biographies are usually much more satisfying than autiobiographies, at least when they're done well (i.e researched properly.) I've read a couple of fantastic books on Iggy Pop.

Musicians are not necessarily good writers, plus they have huge egos and an image of themselves to project and protect. Add in the problem of selective memory - which is something which everyone suffers from, let alone Ozzy/Tyler etc - and you have a book which is bound to be flimsy at best.

little_dreamer
06-17-2011, 09:59 PM
My best friend is obsessed with Steven Tyler (or, as I call him, Fish Lips). She's under the misguided impression that this book is the new Bible. From what I've read over her shoulder, I'd rather go read the autobiography of Justin fucking Bieber.